The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just beware of burnout. Remember that breaks are an incredibly important part of your test prep. A few weeks ago I went 6 days without studying (not that I encourage that long of breaks, but I had some personal issues intertwined with finals) and felt miserable, thinking I lost all that I gained. Took a practice test to see what the damage was and scored higher than ever. Breaks really do a huge solid on your brain...so yeah, just my $0.02. Also just know that no matter how much you study, statistically the chances of you getting a 35+, much less a 40+ is insanely low. Not to deter you from your goals, definitely go for them, but don't let it bring you down or discourage you if you don't quite hit those insane numbers. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking my MCAT on this day as well. I am looking for study partners in the DMV area. Do you happen to live there?

I've been waiting for this thread to pop up- I'm Nov 7th as well- gonna begin studying tomorrow- good luck to all of us!

Anyone afraid that this is the LAST 2014 exam? If we mess up then we have to take the 2015 one!

Reactions: 2 users
I thought new mcat starts in the spring. The last day for the old one should be jan 23.

Good luck everyone!!! I scored in the 94th percentile, so please inbox me if u are struggling and/or looking for a shoulder. I am in no way a genius or someone who is always at the top of the class, so even us underdogs can ace it and I'd love to help you if I can. I was accepted to med school this year I'll be starting in the fall :D. I want to emphasize the underdog. I rocked a 2.8 GPA in 1st and 2nd year, and then rocked a 34 MCAT (11VR 12 PS 11 BS) so please if u are like me im here to help :)

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck everyone!!! I scored in the 94th percentile, so please inbox me if u are struggling and/or looking for a shoulder. I am in no way a genius or someone who is always at the top of the class, so even us underdogs can ace it and I'd love to help you if I can. I was accepted to med school this year I'll be starting in the fall :D. I want to emphasize the underdog. I rocked a 2.8 GPA in 1st and 2nd year, and then rocked a 34 MCAT (11VR 12 PS 11 BS) so please if u are like me im here to help :)

Can you share what materials and methods you used? Any additional tips would be awesome as well. I'm not necessarily in the underdog boat GPA wise but content-wise I feel like I'm not where I should be.

Thanks!

Can you share what materials and methods you used? Any additional tips would be awesome as well. I'm not necessarily in the underdog boat GPA wise but content-wise I feel like I'm not where I should be.

Thanks!

Same here! I am definitely struggling with physics review. @MedDreams1991 Can you let us know what your schedule was like and what prep materials were your favorite?

I'd love to hear from you as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the inclass Kaplan Course... though I don't recommend it. I STRONGLY recommend Kaplan ONLINE courses, they are the bomb diggity and you are getting your monies worth. My schedule was 3 months long.

Month 1- I took the Kaplan diagnostic and scored a 23.
- I reviewed EVERYTHING once

Month 2
- I took 1 Kaplan FL a week and reviewed everything AGAIN

Month 3
- I took 3-4 FL's either AAMC or Kaplan a week and reviewed and revised them.
- Reviewed everything AGAIN

I worked everyday 8-16 hours a day,...depended on how I was feeling average was probably 12 hours a day. I worked hard and I kicked ass. VR was my enemy

For VR- EK101 is ESSENTIAL as is audio osmosis. Give it a nice relaxed listen and try their advice.

For PS- EK 1001 questions and their review book DAH BOMB

For BS- same as PS

Kaplan Qbank was awesome ...so if u want to go to med school just invest the money in a prep course...I strongly recommend Kaplan online... NOT INCLASS!! inclass is a bull**** waste of ur time and money.

Last edited:
i havent been studying hxc or anything...i've just been watching youtube videos on stuff ive never seen before on the outline. u?

Im doing the sn2ed 4 months study schedule. Just graduated so I have the time. So far physics is killing me lol & having problems staying on track.. but other than its looking okay

Heading into Day #6 of SN2ed tomorrow. Man, this is rough so far (but I'm 3-5 years removed from these topics...).

I'm the same way. I graduated undergrad in 2007, and I took these courses in 2003 and 2004.

I'm finding that Chad's videos have helped a lot. I did teach the sciences in between time, so that helps a little.

Day #9 over here...Don't worry I just graduated one month ago and I find some content to be fairly difficult -especially physics!!! Im also finding it hard to keep up with the schedule...mainly cause of family distractions but hopefully I'll get adjusted soon :bookworm:

YOOO GUYSSSS!!!!!!! whaddduppp?? I just signed up for Nov 7 as well!!!
woot woot woottt! (over excitement? nah)

I'm the same way. I graduated undergrad in 2007, and I took these courses in 2003 and 2004.

I'm finding that Chad's videos have helped a lot. I did teach the sciences in between time, so that helps a little.
I just signed up for his videos tonight, actually. I used to babysit for Alan (Chad's partner) and went to Chad's reviews at my university. I can personally vouch for how amazing Chad is!

Personally, though, I'm just hoping that watching the videos speeds up my content relearning- I mean, review. Just reading my books hasn't helped overly much so far and these 10-12 hours days are killer!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be taking the November 7 test. Out of curiosity why are there no December dates?!?!? Is it because everyone is on vacation and no one wants to proctor at that time? I'd take a January test date but I'd get worried if I scored below what I wanted and could no longer take the old version of the MCAT.

Hey guys! I am doing TPR online class! I have been doing a little bit here and there, but won't officially start cranking out 12 hour MCAT days until mid August because I'm a full time nanny right now! How is everyone else feeling so far?

I'm signed up. It will be my second MCAT. Got a 24 last time with very little serious studying... Was disappointed, but how disappointed can I truly be with a lackluster effort?

But I did sign up for the Kaplan Course. I am gonna rock it now! So many resources available to me. I also have the 1001/101 series.

I'm going to be taking the November 7 test. Out of curiosity why are there no December dates?!?!? Is it because everyone is on vacation and no one wants to proctor at that time? I'd take a January test date but I'd get worried if I scored below what I wanted and could no longer take the old version of the MCAT.

I would like to do in January as well but my concern is the same as yours. Hence, I will study hard and do the November test and see what happens and January can be my security net

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/

"first administered in spring 2015"|

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/administration/
"registration [for mcat 2015] opens feb 2015"
"the mcat 2015 schedule begins in april"

yeah but I think last date is like Jan 23 or something for the 2014 mcat. At least thats what I recall. I dont want to do the new mcat. I want to do the old one and hence why I am taking it Nov....and then depending on circumstances Jan will be backup. hope this all goes well.

I was just trying to give people a few options so they don't think that Dec 31st is the last day of the 2014 MCAT. I am in the same boat as you.. although if I don't get a decent score in November, I am not so sure about taking the MCAT a third time.

I was just trying to give people a few options so they don't think that Dec 31st is the last day of the 2014 MCAT. I am in the same boat as you.. although if I don't get a decent score in November, I am not so sure about taking the MCAT a third time.

Im hoping for the best too..... November isn't too far away...dang it

Just checking in. I will be starting a modified version of SN2Ed's 3 month study plan TOMORROW! I am terrified. I started studying earlier this year, but with my class load, it was just not working. This is my last semester of undergrad, YAY!, and is a very light load! So, I think I can devote a lot of time to studying! I also went alum in my sorority this past spring which I also think will be a huge help. It was just so time consuming [loved it, but very difficult for a pre-med student].

I am SO bad at physics, y'all. My mom actually bought me the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Physics" as a surprise. She said, "I am just trying to help!" I died a little on the inside, but knew it was SO TRUE at the same time. haha.

I am going for a pretty competitive MCAT score (30+). I know this is a very challenging goal, but I want to be as competitive as possible for Early Decision at my school of choice.

ONLY 97 Days, y'all! Excited, but so scared at the same time!

Just checking in. I will be starting a modified version of SN2Ed's 3 month study plan TOMORROW! I am terrified. I started studying earlier this year, but with my class load, it was just not working. This is my last semester of undergrad, YAY!, and is a very light load! So, I think I can devote a lot of time to studying! I also went alum in my sorority this past spring which I also think will be a huge help. It was just so time consuming [loved it, but very difficult for a pre-med student].

I am SO bad at physics, y'all. My mom actually bought me the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Physics" as a surprise. She said, "I am just trying to help!" I died a little on the inside, but knew it was SO TRUE at the same time. haha.

I am going for a pretty competitive MCAT score (30+). I know this is a very challenging goal, but I want to be as competitive as possible for Early Decision at my school of choice.

ONLY 97 Days, y'all! Excited, but so scared at the same time!

Good luck, friend!

Hey guy's! I'm freaking out over here, I plan on taking this in nov. and I just got a start to study for it. I bought the Kaplan books and EK verbal. I have a private tutor also, but I'm still freaked. AND the semester is going to kick up soon. Am I completely screwed?

Hey guy's! I'm freaking out over here, I plan on taking this in nov. and I just got a start to study for it. I bought the Kaplan books and EK verbal. I have a private tutor also, but I'm still freaked. AND the semester is going to kick up soon. Am I completely screwed?
Just schedule everything. EVERYTHING. schedule your shower and put a timer in your bathroom if you have to. 10 minutes is more than enough. schedule your sleep and stick with it (not only is this important in not oversleeping and wasting time but also making sure you get enough sleep otherwise your studying/school/work won't be as effective as it could be). schedule your meals in the campus dining hall. 30 min is more than enough. if it is too busy at the time you can go between classes, you will need to do some sort of grab and go option or bring your own.

it's all about time management.

Absolutely not! I am basically in the same situation! Although, I will only be part-time! But in any case, just make a schedule for yourself! That is where I messed up my first time around studying for the MCAT (although, I did not take it). But you can do it! Just get a nice study plan worked out for yourself and stay positive!! :)

I am having to delay my studying a little. My job asked me to work yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Boo. But, I am just going to slide everything back a little. I don't have as many FL's as SN2Ed suggested, so this will not be a problem at all. However, my first two days (Physics and Gen Chem) went much smoother than expected! Yay! Keep going strong guys!

The new mcat will not start till April, 2015. I am currently register to take the old mcat in March.

The new mcat will not start till April, 2015. I am currently register to take the old mcat in March.

Dude, last old MCAT offered is January 2015. No old MCATs or new MCATs offered in March. I don't know how you were able to register for it because there are no options for March...

Reactions: 2 users
Dude, last old MCAT offered is January 2015. No old MCATs or new MCATs offered in March. I don't know how you were able to register for it because there are no options for March...
2565863-3853767-4957010%2B_3d402eb6c781d9c88cd3419c33f6e390.png

Just schedule everything. EVERYTHING. schedule your shower and put a timer in your bathroom if you have to. 10 minutes is more than enough. schedule your sleep and stick with it (not only is this important in not oversleeping and wasting time but also making sure you get enough sleep otherwise your studying/school/work won't be as effective as it could be). schedule your meals in the campus dining hall. 30 min is more than enough. if it is too busy at the time you can go between classes, you will need to do some sort of grab and go option or bring your own.

it's all about time management.

Just curious, how many hours do you allot for sleeping?