The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How many hours a day are you all devoting to this stuff? I try to do 2-3 hours a day if I don't have an exam coming up, and 6-7 hours each day of the weekend.
Aw man I do not know how I would survive with mcat and school. I just graduated in June. Props to you! I spend most of my day studying but I take several breaks in between. Almost done with TBR content review woo lol.

I can only hope that I am doing better than I think
I have a tip that might help you! I have been completely ignoring the silly explanations that EK and TPRH give, and I write down the correct answer, refer back to the passage and figure out WHY for myself. It has helped me tremendously.
Keep us updated!!
That's certainly what I do (but mentally). But sometimes there are instances where my own logical reasoning is wrong so I make a note of it.
I don't completely ignore the explanations given by EK/TPRH (most of them are sound) but there are many others that are just baffling. At this point it might seem like I'm drumming a dead beat but one of my biggest objectives in utilizing EK/TPRH/Kaplan for VR is to see where my score stands. Because VR section is what I have to improve the most on for my retake.

It just worries me because I only have SA and perhaps the C.A.R.S. section of 2015 MCAT practice test when they release one as official "untouched" resources. We'll see.

Currently, I am trying really hard to finish ALL TBR passages in Phys I&II, GChem I&II and Bio I&II. Not even done with a third of my goal :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah pretty much. Haven't done any EK 1001s but plan on just doing those as practice during the month of October. Other slight changes here and there. What about you? @Perry6

Yeah pretty much. Haven't done any EK 1001s but plan on just doing those as practice during the month of October. Other slight changes here and there. What about you? @Perry6
All practice questions and no content review. I trust that my pre-requs will serve me well. I am using EK 1001 for all subjects, EK 101 VR, TRB for practice passages, TPRH VR, EK series (for practice passages) and all AAMC FLs.
We shall see if my little plan serves me well or not :):xf:
EDIT: Like I said above, I think it more about learning how to take the test more than it is about the content of the test.

All practice questions and no content review. I trust that my pre-requs will serve me well. I am using EK 1001 for all subjects, EK 101 VR, TRB for practice passages, TPRH VR, EK series (for practice passages) and all AAMC FLs.
EDIT: Like I said above, I think it more about learning how to take the test more than it is about the content of the test.

This^ I've noticed that many people who have taken the MCAT or are about to regret not doing more passages. And a lot of people end up getting caught up with content and not practicing enough. Content is one aspect, but applying the content is important factor in regards to this exam, specially when (normally) one can answer the majority of the questions based on the content of the passage. Of course, content prep is essential in regards to the seemingly infinite discretes that could be present on the exam.

Haha definitely, your little plan sounds like its going to work :xf: For me I haven't taken physics/genchem/ochem in 2+ years. I can't really rely on my pre-reqs especially because in classes such as physics I learned absolutely nothing and made it through by doing tons of extra credit :( Like this week on TBR electrostatics. If I hadn't read the chapter I would be 100% lost. Now I am just 80% lost lol.

chapter 8 of TBR bio is inhumanely long! I hope the real MCAT won't go into THAT much detail as much as I covered today. holy smokes so many enzyme names and intermediates.

chapter 8 of TBR bio is inhumanely long! I hope the real MCAT won't go into THAT much detail as much as I covered today. holy smokes so many enzyme names and intermediates.

stay away from TBR bio. Use TPRH is you want more detail than EK--TBR is way overkill.

stay away from TBR bio. Use TPRH is you want more detail than EK--TBR is way overkill.

I know but I'm weird in the sense that if I don't focus on details then I get really paranoid about missing information that might randomly pop up on the real deal. You never know though and I am aiming for a really high score to offset my gpa.

I know but I'm weird in the sense that if I don't focus on details then I get really paranoid about missing information that might randomly pop up on the real deal. You never know though and I am aiming for a really high score to offset my gpa.

gotcha. love the zyzzz avatar btw:thumbup: mirin

gotcha. love the zyzzz avatar btw:thumbup: mirin

haha thanks! that is actually my goal physique that I'm starting to work on. Doing basic strength training as of now but will get more into the bulk-cut cycle once this exam is over with.

u76obTs.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh boy I have that to look forward then. I have the TPR WB, done all the practice passages but still haven't done any of the verbal tests. I was gonna do them when I am done with EK ( currently on EK #9 ). I was also thinking about getting the aamc SA for verbal. What do you think?

So what I did was alternate every week between EK and TPRH workbook so I don't get use to either way. Idk if its better or not but I just wanted to get the jist of both of them while not forgetting about the other. And yeah verbal SA is essential. I have it and will solely start doing those while dropping everything else towards my test date

How many hours a day are you all devoting to this stuff? I try to do 2-3 hours a day if I don't have an exam coming up, and 6-7 hours each day of the weekend.
Yeah idk how you do that with school, but I study about 6-7 hours a day during the week and maybe 2 hours each day on the weekend!

Us Nov 7 MCATers are isolated. Soo many test dates in August and September. We are all the waaaaaaayyyy over here by our lonesome selves lol. Been lurking their threads. Not looking forward to those nerve-racking feelings as the test date approaches:eek:

Keep up the grind everyone!!:bookworm:

Us Nov 7 MCATers are isolated. Soo many test dates in August and September. We are all the waaaaaaayyyy over here by our lonesome selves lol. Been lurking their threads. Not looking forward to those nerve-racking feelings as the test date approaches:eek:

Keep up the grind everyone!!:bookworm:

The feels are strong :scared: But gotta keep on grinding. I simply cannot wait till this is over. No matter what I do, whether with the lady, lifting, or working; this test is ALWAYS preoccupying my mind!

The feels are strong :scared: But gotta keep on grinding. I simply cannot wait till this is over. No matter what I do, whether with the lady, lifting, or working; this test is ALWAYS preoccupying my mind!

I feel your pain. I haven't been on any type of vacations or any "real" break since early this year... :( giving this 110%.

Remember each day you study is a day you get close to your white coat ceremony :)

When I develop that attitude, I always have a resurgence of confidence and enthusiasm that elevates my mood and helps me focus back on to studies. We have all done so much (volunteer, undergrad classes, work, shadowing, etc.) this is just the final piece of the puzzle!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I am starting those next week. Gonna rotate between EK and TRPH.. But BR.. I get like 55-60s. :(
I have never looked at TBR VR but I myself rotate between TPRH-EK101 and Kaplan VR. My scores are also stuck at around 65%. Would love to push them over the 70% hill.

I will do AAMC 4 verbal section this weekend (already did it last year so score might be meaningless)- but it might provide me with some gauge of my performance.

Got my first 10 on EK Bio!!! :)
What is the difficulty level on EK bio compared to EK 1001 or TBR?
Gratz on the 10!!! I would say EK material is just about right. TBR is comparatively much more difficult than EK but its the unnecessary stuff that makes it harder. I'm sure on the eukaryotic cells, for example, you would perform equally well.

Hey so my princeton course just expired. I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their online account with me whether it be princeton/kaplan. I am willing to pay a good amount. OR if anyone knows a way I can access non-AAMC practice tests online?

Wow!!! I did 7 practice passages from TPRH and for the first time my avg for all 7 passages was 71%.
Ecstatic!!

Hope everyone is doing well in their studies.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey so my princeton course just expired. I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their online account with me whether it be princeton/kaplan. I am willing to pay a good amount. OR if anyone knows a way I can access non-AAMC practice tests online?
me too. i need non-aamc practice tests. I have taken them all from the first time I took the MCAT... and I need some more for this round

Also if anyone has any questions about practice problems or passages, you can post them here. This way we can all help each other because a good amount of us check this thread regularly.

lets conquer this test as a team!! :banana::banana:

Reactions: 3 users
For those of us taking classes and studying for the test, how the heck are you prioritizing?
I am having a considerably hard time doing so.

Whats everyone's strength/weakness? Its weird, at this point I feel more confident with verbal just because I have been practicing it the most. Not saying I am good at verbal, just confident lol.

Whats everyone's strength/weakness? Its weird, at this point I feel more confident with verbal just because I have been practicing it the most. Not saying I am good at verbal, just confident lol.

Strength: bio sciences and verbal. Weakness: physical sciences.. Lol. I have been doing a lot more practices now.... I review and do practice problems, and repeat. I am also feeling confident. Doing BR verbal passages right now...

Strength: bio sciences and verbal. Weakness: physical sciences.. Lol. I have been doing a lot more practices now.... I review and do practice problems, and repeat. I am also feeling confident. Doing BR verbal passages right now...
Yeah I think physical is one of my weakness as well, just gotta keep practicing! Ah have fun with BR verbal. The questions are like whaaaao_O

Yeah I think physical is one of my weakness as well, just gotta keep practicing! Ah have fun with BR verbal. The questions are like whaaaao_O

They suck but I am determined to finish the passages for extra practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know where I can get my hands on TPR hyperlearning verbal? As of now, I've been doing 3 VR passages daily from Kaplan sources + BR sources

Anyone know where I can get my hands on TPR hyperlearning verbal? As of now, I've been doing 3 VR passages daily from Kaplan sources + BR sources
You can check Amazon or the SDN sales section. I was fortunate enough that one of my friends who took his MCAT earlier this spring gave me his workbook after he was done with it.

For those of us taking classes and studying for the test, how the heck are you prioritizing?
I am having a considerably hard time doing so.

I'm taking 5 courses and studying for it at the same time :barf:
Hopefully i can come out of this alive.
I did spend my last 2 months of the summer solely on content review. Now i just do practice problems ~2 hours + 1 hour for verbal a day. I'm already mentally preparing myself for a January 15 retake.

Strength: Bio and Organic. Although "Strength" is a strong word. I'd say "moderately good at".
Weakness: VERBAL VERBAL VERBAL:bang:

I feel the Physical Sciences are my strength at this point. I'm going through TBR second time through (did the passages about 2 months ago) timed to measure how much I remember and what I need to review, that in tandem with TPRHL Science Workbook. Bio is in the middle. From doing passages I find myself making very silly mistakes (mostly from reading questions or answers to questions too fast) I need to slow down.

Verbal is just verbal. Took AAMC 3 and 4 so far and have scored 10 and 9, respectively. Too early to tell how I'm doing in verbal thus far, but I'm doing timed practice sessions from TPRHL Verbal.

I'm taking 5 courses and studying for it at the same time :barf:
Hopefully i can come out of this alive.
I did spend my last 2 months of the summer solely on content review. Now i just do practice problems ~2 hours + 1 hour for verbal a day. I'm already mentally preparing myself for a January 15 retake.
I am also preparing for the Jan. retake. But I am definitely trying to do well, this is not something I want to do twice!!

I have only taken physics 1, and I didn't learn hardly anything at all.
Yeah having at least some background in physics helps but don't get discouraged. I am pretty sure unless you are a physics major, you are not supposed to learn anything in physics lol. But good thing is that with practice this could turn into a strength. I have been watching lots of videos recently for topics like physics and chem. Wish I had started doing that from the beginning.

Strength: Bio and Organic. Although "Strength" is a strong word. I'd say "moderately good at".
Weakness: VERBAL VERBAL VERBAL:bang:
Haha strength is a strong word :D any one else found that funny? But I totally get you. Moderately good is still better than weak!!! What are you using for verbal practice?

I feel the Physical Sciences are my strength at this point. I'm going through TBR second time through (did the passages about 2 months ago) timed to measure how much I remember and what I need to review, that in tandem with TPRHL Science Workbook. Bio is in the middle. From doing passages I find myself making very silly mistakes (mostly from reading questions or answers to questions too fast) I need to slow down.

Verbal is just verbal. Took AAMC 3 and 4 so far and have scored 10 and 9, respectively. Too early to tell how I'm doing in verbal thus far, but I'm doing timed practice sessions from TPRHL Verbal.
Nice. Having a solid PS is great, I need that lol. How did you do on PS for AAMC 3 and 4? I haven't taken any AAMC material. I feel like I am a bit behind:eek:

Haha strength is a strong word :D any one else found that funny? But I totally get you. Moderately good is still better than weak!!! What are you using for verbal practice?

Glad you enjoyed that :D
I'm using TPRH verbal. I basically do 3 passages a day and analyze my mistakes. I love TPRH verbal because i rarely disagree with their answers. My timing still sucks. Some passages (philosophy:eek:) take me ~10/11 minutes. MCAT verbal passages are apparently longer. That's terrifying.
What you using?

Glad you enjoyed that :D
I'm using TPRH verbal. I basically do 3 passages a day and analyze my mistakes. I love TPRH verbal because i rarely disagree with their answers. My timing still sucks. Some passages (philosophy:eek:) take me ~10/11 minutes. MCAT verbal passages are apparently longer. That's terrifying.
What you using?
Yeah TPRH is my fav. I am using a combination of TBR, EK 101, and TPRH. I usually am bad at passages about law and judges, economics, and for some odd reason I tend to miss more questions on passages about school and a specific problem (education, violence, uniforms, etc) I understand them but idk lol. Its weird.

Have a few verbal tests left in all three books then I will be doing the verbal SA at the end of this month. Yeah not looking forward to aamc long passages :eek: but I am curious to see their style of questions. Hopefully they are better than BR lol.