The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
http://puu.sh/cbo7h.png

Can someone explain how the hell the answer is D??? That molecule has no beta-hydrogens so how would it undergo E2.
(Source: Kaplan FL1)

Hey there. So for all these reactions you're going to need a leaving group and only answers A and D have them (And OH is an awful leaving group). The answer can't be C because it's just a hydrocarbon and has no leaving group. Answer choice A is primary so could undergo SN2 so that can't be the answer. I think you may be confused about what hydrogen is eliminated in E1 and E2 reactions. Answer choice D (I'm too lazy to name it) has 6 hydrogens that can be eliminated on the first carbon of each of the ethyl groups. I hope that makes sense. I hope the rest of the FL went well.

Can someone explain how the hell the answer is D??? That molecule has no beta-hydrogens so how would it undergo E2.
The reason I would have picked D is because it Is a tertiary carbon with a leaving group. Tertiary carbons never undergo Sn2 due to steric hindrance. There is another tertiary carbon given but OH is a bad leaving group. There is a primary carbon and an alkane so they can be eliminated. That leaves only D. The requirement is hydrogen close to leaving group, can be alpha or beta. Btw, there are beta hydrogens (ch3 group).

Anyone else feel like they could benefit from a re-schedule? 12/6 is looking like it would've been so nice right now. But those dates around my NE location filled up like hot cakes, and January dates are wiped off the board unless you want to do Guam. Lolz. I have already re-scheduled once and feel it is a dangerous habit to get into though, as you always FEEL you need more time. I don't know if the time ever comes for this test where you are content, and totally ready to take. The amount of material is far too vast I feel. We can do this though guys! I hope the AAMC blesses us with a nice "kind" MCAT on 11/7 in recognition of us not jumping at the 12/6 date when it opened. Because trust me people jumped on that bandwagon like the Miami Heat bandwagon when Lebron went there from Cleveland. There were like no 11/7 dates open a month ago, and now there are 11/7 dates open in virtually all states. So many people dropped this date when that 12/6 gem opened. I think we got this. We not soft bodies. Gaha. And the pressure is forcing me to cut the bull and just do it these next 4 weeks.

I reviewed AAMC #4 today and man I made some bone headed mistakes. I feel I can improve significantly on AAMC #5. One more question right in verbal and BS respectively and I get a 30 on AAMC #4 versus a 28, and I definitely left points on the "court." The post-game review really made me realize the AAMC exams are all about paying attention to detail, and keeping your cool. Cause there is nothing outrageous in those questions as opposed to TBR;). This week I made a schedule where I am going to do tons of TBR passages from all 10 chapters for gen chem/physics, and a bunch more BS kaplan section tests. Also do TPRH verbal in its entireity. Btw I also did two of these kaplan BS section tests today, and found them amazing for strengthening your ability to interpret experimental BS passages. Which is what the current BS is all about! So if you have these, use them! There are 7 I believe. I will take AAMC #5 on sat or sunday after grinding passages all this week. Hoping for a 30/31!:) Good luck everyone...I am rooting for everyone here! :thumbup::claps:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feel like they could benefit from a re-schedule? 12/6 is looking like it would've been so nice right now. But those dates around my NE location filled up like hot cakes, and January dates are wiped off the board unless you want to do Guam. Lolz. I have already re-scheduled once and feel it is a dangerous habit to get into though, as you always FEEL you need more time. I don't know if the time ever comes for this test where you are content, and totally ready to take. The amount of material is far too vast I feel. We can do this though guys! I hope the AAMC blesses us with a nice "kind" MCAT on 11/7 in recognition of us not jumping at the 12/6 date when it opened. Because trust me people jumped on that bandwagon like the Miami Heat bandwagon when Lebron went there from Cleveland. There were like no 11/7 dates open a month ago, and now there are 11/7 dates open in virtually all states. So many people dropped this date when that 12/6 gem opened. I think we got this. We not soft bodies. Gaha. And the pressure is forcing me to cut the bull and just do it these next 4 weeks.

I reviewed AAMC #4 today and man I made some bone headed mistakes. I feel I can improve significantly on AAMC #5. One more question right in verbal and BS respectively and I get a 30 on AAMC #4 versus a 28, and I definitely left points on the "court." The post-game review really made me realize the AAMC exams are all about paying attention to detail, and keeping your cool. Cause there is nothing outrageous in those questions as opposed to TBR;). This week I made a schedule where I am going to do tons of TBR passages from all 10 chapters for gen chem/physics, and a bunch more BS kaplan section tests. Also do TPRH verbal in its entireity. Btw I also did two of these kaplan BS section tests today, and found them amazing for strengthening your ability to interpret experimental BS passages. Which is what the current BS is all about! So if you have these, use them! There are 7 I believe. I will take AAMC #5 on sat or sunday after grinding passages all this week. Hoping for a 30/31!:) Good luck everyone...I am rooting for everyone here! :thumbup::claps:

realizing your mistakes is the learning process.

I can't reschedule. I have a 24 and my state MD school needs a bit higher than that if I want a serious chance. they won't accept an MCAT later than 11/7 so this is my last chance for my number 1 pick. I'd be happy with a 27/28, but obviously would love a 30 as it seems like the sweet spot.

I started the AAMC verbal assessment last night, holy crap it's long. I basically just went through and did the science passages. going to go back through tonight and finish it up. the assessments are great practice, I like them a lot especially considering they are AAMC so they are going to be close to the real thing.

Absolutely would benefit from postponing but I'll be on a cruise for the 12/6 exam.

Thanks!! @bambam92 "paying attention to detail" That definitely hurt me on aamc3 but I will keep this in mind when doing aamc4 today.

Here goes nothing! I feel okay. Reviewed aamc3. Last night I got distracted with The Voice plus didn't really know what to review. Come on let me see a 30 today!!!! Good luck @Carbon090 on your FL and anyone else taking one today! :xf::luck:

Okay guys so for an update!

I just took AAMC #7 and pulled a: 11/8/13, total composite of 32! Sooooo freaking stoked! Verbal went up by 2 points from last exam and bio got pulled up by 2 points as well :claps:

I finished with about 6 minutes left in PS, about 3 minute left in verbal (started off a little shaky (couldn't seem to focus and spilled my protein shake all over me as I was reading a passage lol never again), and finished bio with about 20 minutes to spare so I had time to review over it a little bit.

Totally motivated now, this is the first time I've actually scored over a 30 on a practice exam. Going to HEAVILY review this FL and review the rest of the AAMC Verbal Assessment. Going to take AAMC #8 this Saturday if I get the chance. If I can somehow get my Verbal up to a 9-10 by test day I'll be stoked!

Also, positive mind set is DRAMATIC, at least in my case, in terms of my confidence starting this exam this morning.

@Janus_Kinase goodluck I'm sure you're going to kill it! And to everyone else! Keep your heads up we all got this :)

Reactions: 6 users
Hey there. So for all these reactions you're going to need a leaving group and only answers A and D have them (And OH is an awful leaving group). The answer can't be C because it's just a hydrocarbon and has no leaving group. Answer choice A is primary so could undergo SN2 so that can't be the answer. I think you may be confused about what hydrogen is eliminated in E1 and E2 reactions. Answer choice D (I'm too lazy to name it) has 6 hydrogens that can be eliminated on the first carbon of each of the ethyl groups. I hope that makes sense. I hope the rest of the FL went well.
Thanks a lot guys for feedback on the problem.
Honestly it is such a simple problem and what in the hell was I thinking picking C......

After reviewing Kaplan FL1, I made so many inexcusable errors!!! I got so many of the "High" difficulty questions correct but missed a couple that were downright easy.... I feel like my brain is scrambled after studying for so freaking long.... I was planning on taking Kaplan FL again today but am going to take a break and relax.

Congrats carbon on your amazing score!!
Janus all the best with your FL!!

Reactions: 1 users
On break between PS and VR. That PS was way harder than aamc3:eek: :(:eek::( It felt like I guess on a lot cause I had no time. Dont wanna see my score

Okay guys so for an update!

I just took AAMC #7 and pulled a: 11/8/13, total composite of 32! Sooooo freaking stoked! Verbal went up by 2 points from last exam and bio got pulled up by 2 points as well :claps:

I finished with about 6 minutes left in PS, about 3 minute left in verbal (started off a little shaky (couldn't seem to focus and spilled my protein shake all over me as I was reading a passage lol never again), and finished bio with about 20 minutes to spare so I had time to review over it a little bit.

Totally motivated now, this is the first time I've actually scored over a 30 on a practice exam. Going to HEAVILY review this FL and review the rest of the AAMC Verbal Assessment. Going to take AAMC #8 this Saturday if I get the chance. If I can somehow get my Verbal up to a 9-10 by test day I'll be stoked!

Also, positive mind set is DRAMATIC, at least in my case, in terms of my confidence starting this exam this morning.

@Janus_Kinase goodluck I'm sure you're going to kill it! And to everyone else! Keep your heads up we all got this :)

Congrats man!! :)

Definitely use this as a confidence boost for your next FL. I'm mirin that BS score haha

That lebron reference tho.

Getting a little frustrated.. Been too hesitant to take another FL because I feel like I need to improve on every section. And as soon as I improve one section, I forget another. Gah! And verbal is driving me nuts.

Gonna keep at it and hope to take another FL (#4) tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Only been hitting about 27 so far, with AAMC #7 being the only AAMC I've taken (9, 9, 9 - hah).

Proud of everyone. Lets keep it up! Know when to be focused and kill it, and also be aware of when it is time to take a small break.

Members don't see this ad :)
aamc4 29 (10Ps/8VR/11BS) It felt tougher than 3 but at least my scores did not decrease and it feels nice to see a 10 in PS. I want to keep the sciences at 10 or above. VR timing is still kicking my butt. I tried doing the 'easier passages' first but I had a mini panic attack when I saw it took me 11 mins to complete the first passage. Any tips on timing would be most welcomed!

Well my mind is blah. Next FL is on Friday...

Reactions: 2 users
aamc4 29 (10Ps/8VR/11BS) It felt tougher than 3 but at least my scores did not decrease and it feels nice to see a 10 in PS. I want to keep the sciences at 10 or above. VR timing is still kicking my butt. I tried doing the 'easier passages' first but I had a mini panic attack when I saw it took me 11 mins to complete the first passage. Any tips on timing would be most welcomed!

Well my mind is blah. Next FL is on Friday...
afraid i can't help you with timing. have you figured out if it is the passages or the questions that take you longer? if it's questions, i suggest slowing down your reading a bit in hopes to improve comprehension. if it is reading, i suggest trying to speed it up (when you see words like moreso, evermore, for example, also, in addition, etc because that just means more of the same stuff is coming).

do you map? i find that slows me way down. i don't even have a real verbal strategy, i just read slow enough to comprehend in one sentence (i rarely have to reread a sentence) and highlight whatever i deem highlight-worthy.

i always highlight names. sometimes i'll highlight years if i think it may be specific (like age of fossils, a time period associated with a proper noun like a war or a movement in art), sometimes i highlight adjectives that show the author's opinion, etc.

about to start FL 3

AAMC- twitter. (A very limited # of additional January seats will be added in the coming weeks. Stay tuned on Twitter.)

10/7/10 on AAMC 3

Plenty of time left on all sections, but i'm not really one to go back... i probably should be. mark the ones i know i guess on and go back and go over them.

7 on verbal... maybe i should ditch the EK verbal and find a different source (if possible this late?). i have taken 4 EK verbals and have gotten a 9 on three and a 10 on one. so maybe the curve is too lenient, AAMC is just harder, or i got a bad draw of luck for these passages? (there did seem to be a higher percentage of passages that I was like :bang: not this passage)

overall, not too mad about a 27, but still work to be done considering the AAMC tests are going to get harder than number 3 :\

pretty happy when i look at the % right for hard vs medium vs easy.

i got >90% on all the easy questions. and the transition to medium to hard was not abnormal besides the "hard" verbal and physics (and maybe the hard orgo) questions.

like i said, not too shabby IMO. 27 isn't my goal, but i'm not going to lie, i would be slightly okay with a 27 on Nov 7

going to finish the verbal assessment not too that i started last night

10/7/10 on AAMC 3

Plenty of time left on all sections, but i'm not really one to go back... i probably should be. mark the ones i know i guess on and go back and go over them.

7 on verbal... maybe i should ditch the EK verbal and find a different source (if possible this late?). i have taken 4 EK verbals and have gotten a 9 on three and a 10 on one. so maybe the curve is too lenient, AAMC is just harder, or i got a bad draw of luck for these passages? (there did seem to be a higher percentage of passages that I was like :bang: not this passage)

overall, not too mad about a 27, but still work to be done considering the AAMC tests are going to get harder than number 3 :\

pretty happy when i look at the % right for hard vs medium vs easy.

i got >90% on all the easy questions. and the transition to medium to hard was not abnormal besides the "hard" verbal and physics (and maybe the hard orgo) questions.

like i said, not too shabby IMO. 27 isn't my goal, but i'm not going to lie, i would be slightly okay with a 27 on Nov 7

going to finish the verbal assessment not too that i started last night
I dont map. I do this thing where I read and actively answer questions but I think it is just taking to much time going back and forth. I think I am gonna try just read the questions once before, then fully read the passage, then answer.

Yeah dude I would definitely go back if you have plenty of time left, especially the marked ones! I find often times when I go back, if I have time, I am able to see the problem in a different way and truly understand it.

I dont map. I do this thing where I read and actively answer questions but I think it is just taking to much time going back and forth. I think I am gonna try just read the questions once before, then fully read the passage, then answer.

Yeah dude I would definitely go back if you have plenty of time left, especially the marked ones! I find often times when I go back, if I have time, I am able to see the problem in a different way and truly understand it.

i don't even read the questions before i read the passage... i dunno, i could give it a try i suppose to get an idea of what to primarily look for in the passage, but so many of the verbal questions are much more broad ideas moreso than "who said x?" so i feel like understanding the passage is more important than knowing a specific fact to look for.

finished the verbal assessment and got an equivalent 9, so maybe AAMC 3's verbal was just tougher for me than usual (especially considering the second half of the verbal assessment was on my weakest subjects and was after a full FL right before it, so i'm guessing i may be approaching 10V range).

Overall, feeling pretty good with today's results! I think a 30 is within my reach.

Last edited:
Anyone keeping tabs on all the stuff they've a) given up for this test b) are going to do once they have their lives back??? I feel like it motivates me to study because it reminds me of all the sacrifices I've made that MUST PAY OFF.

First on my list post-test is to start watching Parks and Rec which I've been wanting to do all summer.
Second on my list is to do things on the weekends other than wake up and study all day. I seriously feel like it's all I do anymore. :p

All y'all hang in there now, ya hear? We got 3.5 weeks to kill this thing. :highfive: Some people use only that much time to study total!

Anyone keeping tabs on all the stuff they've a) given up for this test b) are going to do once they have their lives back??? I feel like it motivates me to study because it reminds me of all the sacrifices I've made that MUST PAY OFF.

First on my list post-test is to start watching Parks and Rec which I've been wanting to do all summer.
Second on my list is to do things on the weekends other than wake up and study all day. I seriously feel like it's all I do anymore. :p

All y'all hang in there now, ya hear? We got 3.5 weeks to kill this thing. :highfive: Some people use only that much time to study total!
Wait. Hold up. You haven't seen any parks and rec??? Oh my, you are in for a joy. Wise of you to wait until after.

I am going to sleep :sleep:for a week and not get up. My yawning :yawn: has increased exponentially. I walk around at work with eyes half closed....not knowing where I go...what I do.....my butt :cryi: is sore too.....

Cannot believe we have only 3.5 weeks left till we face this beast. Feels like all I've done in the last few months is study endless amounts of material. Anyway, main goal is to figure out what to do about verbal. I know I'm improving, but oddly I seemed to be better at it BEFORE practicing it. I feel I need to read the passages more slowly and really, actively, read it; visualizing the scenario as I go. It's difficult when your mind wonders about whether you are going too fast or too slow.

I tried reading the questions first, but I normally forget them :cryi: That, or I end up looking for those points instead of understanding the main theme of the passage. Going to heavily review the verbal assessment and FL's today, write down my thought processes on why I get them wrong, and figure out the best plan of action.

Just finished with Kaplan FL3 - got a 12 PS/ 9 VR / 10 BS for a 31 !!!
Kap FL1 was a 29 two days ago with (11/8/10) so this is great improvement!

One of the things that concern me is that for some questions in BS, Kaplan has an extremely weird way to ask questions ... I know the freaking concept but I find in some questions, I am unable to translate and thus unable to arrive at the correct answer.
Anyone have these feelings for some Kaplan BS questions? It looks like I will be hitting the rest of the BS Section Tests to better understand Kaplan methodology of asking questions.

Cannot believe we have only 3.5 weeks left till we face this beast. Feels like all I've done in the last few months is study endless amounts of material. Anyway, main goal is to figure out what to do about verbal. I know I'm improving, but oddly I seemed to be better at it BEFORE practicing it. I feel I need to read the passages more slowly and really, actively, read it; visualizing the scenario as I go. It's difficult when your mind wonders about whether you are going too fast or too slow.

I tried reading the questions first, but I normally forget them :cryi: That, or I end up looking for those points instead of understanding the main theme of the passage. Going to heavily review the verbal assessment and FL's today, write down my thought processes on why I get them wrong, and figure out the best plan of action.
Yeah I think its a complete waste of time to "preview" the questions because it sensitizes you to specific words which may interfere with your understanding of the main idea as you read the passage.
For me, the slow and steady pace (not all that slow) works well because it allows me to fully grasp the main idea. Ideally you should spend maybe only 30 secs to look at the question and then go back to specific area of the passage to get the answer. This habit becomes faster the more you practice.

Also, while I don't agree with the physical mapping technique, I think its crucial that you do "mental mapping". Try to remember the main focus of a paragraph and after you finish reading the entire passage, take 10 secs to quickly look at your highlights and view passage as a "whole". Doing so really hammers the main idea and hopefully puts you on the track to understanding why the author wrote what they did.

All the best,

One of the things that concern me is that for some questions in BS, Kaplan has an extremely weird way to ask questions ... I know the freaking concept but I find in some questions, I am unable to translate and thus unable to arrive at the correct answer.
Anyone have these feelings for some Kaplan BS questions? It looks like I will be hitting the rest of the BS Section Tests to better understand Kaplan methodology of asking questions.

have you done AAMC tests yet? i'd almost suggest exhausting those before Kaplan. That is what I'm going to be doing.

have you done AAMC tests yet? i'd almost suggest exhausting those before Kaplan. That is what I'm going to be doing.
Did AAMC 3 for 11/11/11. However, since this is my retake from last year, I already did all AAMC exams last summer so the score is pseudo-predictive.
I am doing quite the opposite lol - Don't want to be stuck with Kaplan FL mindset before my exam so I will be taking majority of AAMCs closer to our exam. In the meantime, I want to exhaust as many Kaplan FLs I can :)

Did AAMC 3 for 11/11/11. However, since this is my retake from last year, I already did all AAMC exams last summer so the score is pseudo-predictive.
I am doing quite the opposite lol - Don't want to be stuck with Kaplan FL mindset before my exam so I will be taking majority of AAMCs closer to our exam. In the meantime, I want to exhaust as many Kaplan FLs I can :)

gotcha, makes sense.

Kaplan BS section is absolutely the most representative of the later AAMC's and the actual test you will find I have been told. If you notice it is almost entirely experimental. This is what you want. Their BS section tests are very good too.

Kaplan BS section is absolutely the most representative of the later AAMC's and the actual test you will find I have been told. If you notice it is almost entirely experimental. This is what you want. Their BS section tests are very good too.
I agree.
I don't have problems with experiments at all. It is weird discrete questions that I have problems with. Example is this discrete ..... I just couldn't translate what the question was asking at all even though I knew the function of vagus nerve lol: http://puu.sh/cdpw3.png

I agree.
I don't have problems with experiments at all. It is weird discrete questions that I have problems with. Example is this discrete ..... I just couldn't translate what the question was asking at all even though I knew the function of vagus nerve lol: http://puu.sh/cdpw3.png

I got this wrong too but because the answer choices made me doubt my understanding of the vagus nerve, lol. The way I approach these now is to write out the pattern of what they're telling you.

Cutting off the vagus nerve --> reduced PS activity --> which of the following is a RESULT of increased PS activity/decreased sympathetic activity?

Decreased gastric motility is a result of increased sympathetic activity
Decreased HCl production is not something the question really addresses so I got rid of it, as the question addresses "over secretion" rather than "production"
Increased blood pressure is a result of increased sympathetic activity
Leaves you with decreased heart rate with is a result of decreased sympathetic activity

Writing it out in like flow chart form really helps me, especially with these challenging double negative questions. Your mind understands things much better when it's not processing large blocks of text mentally. Congrats on the improvement! :)

Any of you guys ever do a practice passage, where you get majority of it wrong and feel like such anger that you want to rage out? Haven't felt like this since my pchem lab reports (and that was bad).

I swear I don't have anger issues... BUT DAMN.:bang:

Any of you guys ever do a practice passage, where you get majority of it wrong and feel like such anger that you want to rage out? Haven't felt like this since my pchem lab reports (and that was bad).

Yeah lol. I've had a couple 2/7s on some TPR VB passages and thought to myself wow did I really just do that?? Regard them as obvious outliers of your performance and just move on to the next practice passage.

God forbid should you develop anger issues lol. Given your muscular strength, I would feel very bad for the stuff you are taking your anger out on.

It was probably because I wasn't having a good day, but I remember one passage where I missed all the questions. I've only ever done that once, and I really wanted to kill someone. But it's always pretty depressing when you get 2/7's and the like! And if I happen to not be in that great of a mood in the first place, I can get pretty testy...haha...

I also just took AAMC #9. I took it a year and three months ago and made a 30 (10/10/10). This time, I made a 35 (12/10/13), which is the highest I've ever gotten on a practice test! I'm just scared it's inflated, but while a few passages looked familiar (only a handful), I didn't remember any answers, though I know there was one question that I was extra careful on because I felt like I had trouble with it in the past. Considering I got twenty more questions right, I'd like to think it's not all grade inflation.

I took TBR #1 a few days ago, and got a 33 (9/13/11), so maybe I'm on an upward trend, but half the reason I got this score was because TBR's verbal is awful... Before this, I took AAMC #8 and got a 29 (whereas the first time, I got a 26).

Aaaah, I don't know what to make of my scores!

Last edited:
It was probably because I wasn't having a good day, but I remember one passage where I missed all the questions. I've only ever done that once, and I really wanted to kill someone. But it's always pretty depressing when you get 2/7's and the like! And if I happen to not be in that great of a mood in the first place, I can get pretty testy...haha...

I also just took AAMC #9. I took it a year and three months ago and made a 30 (10/10/10). This time, I made a 35 (12/10/13), which is the highest I've ever gotten on a practice test! I'm just scared it's inflated, but while a few passages looked familiar (only a handful), I didn't remember any answers, though I know there was one question that I was extra careful on because I felt like I had trouble with it in the past. Considering I got twenty more questions right, I'd like to think it's not all great inflation.

I took TBR #1 a few days ago, and got a 33 (9/13/11), so maybe I'm on an upward trend, but half the reason I got this score was because TBR's verbal is awful, so...

Aaaah, I don't know what to make of my scores!
Congratz on the amazing score.
I try to think that if I have already done a particular test in the past, shouldn't I now make a 45 on it?
Also, given your strong performance on TBR #1, I wouldn't write off your AAMC score as a random fluke.

I'm developing an anxiety disorder constantly worrying about any surprises on test day and going over minute details :confused:

meanwhile at AAMC headquarters:

2nm23rk.png

I don't like TBR passages. If you can get your hands on TPRH or EK101 that would be better, if you haven't done them already. I think I did the first 6 verbal tests from TBR. They passages aren't too bad but the questions they ask are so dense and ridiculous. Nothing like aamc. But hey, in the end practice is practice.

That my problem ha ha, as right now (since I am satisfied with my BIO, PHYS Section), I spend the morning redoing TPR passages that i finished like a month ago and every other night I plan on doing a TBR practice test.

In between I am rereading the verbal book for kaplan, EK and Berkley Review and i am trying to implement a hybrid strategy that will work for me on test day.

My thinking is as follows:
The question is asking which substrate will not undergo SN2 reaction,
Tertiary carbons are highly disfavored because nucleophiles do not prefer to attack electrophiles with a bulky group.
So this rules out choices A,C leaves you with choices B and D.
Tertiary electrophiles are favored for SN1, E1 Reactions
B does not have a have as favorable leaving group as choice D (OH Vs Br), so it is not a good for SN1, E1 reaction

All the time haha, I think i would have several holes in my bedroom if I did not go to the gym regularly.

AAMC #3 9P, 7V!, 9B - ahh! No progress. In fact, went DOWN from AAMC #7. Very discouraging and slightly panicing right now. Will be reviewing missed questions intensively tomorrow. Also need to figure out better post-game strategies. *sigh*

AAMC #3 9P, 7V!, 9B - ahh! No progress. In fact, went DOWN from AAMC #7. Very discouraging and slightly panicing right now. Will be reviewing missed questions intensively tomorrow. Also need to figure out better post-game strategies. *sigh*
3.5 weeks to raise that up to a 34-35 - I'm not completely out of my mind am I..? Yikes.

Other scores:
PR #1: 8P, 9B
PR #2: 7P, 9B
Been substituting EK for verbal - fluctuating lots between 7-10
AAMC 7: 9, 9, 9

How long would you say usually takes people to go from mid-upper 20s to mid 30s? :/ Been studying since June/July, but only just started FL about 1-2 weeks ago.
Dreams dont work unless you do.

You can do it, I am sure. But you really have to put in time, not just any time but quality time. Take as many FLs as you can, do as many practice passages as you can, exhaust your brain to the limit. And hey, if 35 is your goal and you are not hitting it, there is nothing wrong with rescheduling if spots are available.

I was also aiming for 35. Taken two FLs both 29. Now I will be happy to break 30 but I am still gonna work towards that 35.

Reactions: 6 users
Dreams dont work unless you do.

You can do it, I am sure. But you really have to put in time, not just any time but quality time. Take as many FLs as you can, do as many practice passages as you can, exhaust your brain to the limit. And hey, if 35 is your goal and you are not hitting it, there is nothing wrong with rescheduling if spots are available.

I was also aiming for 35. Taken two FLs both 29. Now I will be happy to break 30 but I am still gonna work towards that 35.

this tho

Hi everyone! Just wanted to leave a few words of encouragement for you guys. I used to constantly look at SDN seeking comfort when I was preparing for the MCAT back in April, so hopefully this will comfort some of you. In the end I got a 27 (9/7/11). I decided to apply anyway. I was interviewed at my top choice school (UB medical school) in August and just received my acceptance a couple of days ago! So when it comes down to it, it's not just about the MCAT!!! Do your best, don't give up, and apply regardless!:) good luck guys!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! Just wanted to leave a few words of encouragement for you guys. I used to constantly look at SDN seeking comfort when I was preparing for the MCAT back in April, so hopefully this will comfort some of you. In the end I got a 27 (9/7/11). I decided to apply anyway. I was interviewed at my top choice school (UB medical school) in August and just received my acceptance a couple of days ago! So when it comes down to it, it's not just about the MCAT!!! Do your best, don't give up, and apply regardless!:) good luck guys!!!!

what were your cGPA and sGPA? if you don't mind me asking.