The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My sister who took the MCAT last year said that BS was tougher on the real deal than on the practice AAMC's :(

She also said that AAMC 11 was closest to the real thing (obviously) and that her score and breakdown for AAMC 8 was exactly her real score. Of course,this is not engraved on a rock and won't be the same for everyone but I thought I would throw that out there.

Honestly I think next year will be super competitive and they are making these last test administrations really tough because of this whole change in MCAT business. Maybe the new MCAT will be easier because it will be new...

Hopefully none of us will have to retake this monster!

Just finished AAMC 5 - 12 PS / 10 VR / 11 BS for a 33.

I literally thought I would get like a 6 or 7 on VR - man that was tough!!!
Also, the BS looked really ancient. Coelomates, arthropods, etc.... reminded me of high school bio lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
are u guys consuming all your AAMC's or leaving a couple for future.....just in case......

I'm using all of mine... These won't be very useful for the new MCAT and chances are that there won't be any MCAT 2014 seats left by the time we get our scores back to retake if needed.

I've taken Kaplan 1-5 and AAMC 3 and 5-9
I need to do AAMC 4, 10, and 11

Last edited:
Thanks! It makes sense to use'm all. I've taken GS 1~4 and MC 3,4,5,7. I've had some improvement with MC's (24,26,27,29) but mostly been consistent with GS (31,30,31,28)......

:( why?
Should be happy we get closer to the test day, MCAT becomes history for us.

idk just not feeling any of it, but yesterday was off due to wedding festivities (not my own or anything) all day pretty much.

but i did get my entire trip (flight, hotel, car) booked for my VCOM-Auburn interview.

idk just not feeling any of it, but yesterday was off due to wedding festivities (not my own or anything) all day pretty much.

but i did get my entire trip (flight, hotel, car) booked for my VCOM-Auburn interview.
You have an INTERVIEW??????

Members don't see this ad :)
mhm :) thought i posted it in this thread, guess not.

got the call on thursday! 11/11 interview at VCOM-Auburn
they must be slightly okay with my 24
lol that's more the reason to be HAPPY about, not negative 5 million motivation units...

lol that's more the reason to be HAPPY about, not negative 5 million motivation units...

oh i'm happy, just unmotivated and happy lol. gonna try to go take a quick nap and see where i'm at after that.

they originally called and offered me an interview on 11/4 and i was too excited and nervous to realize that was right before our test, so i had to call back but it was no big deal at all and the flights on 11/10 were cheaper as well... win win.

then my UNMC interview is on 11/14 so starting on 11/7, my week will be crazy full of emotions!

So I need an opinion regarding whether I should get my exam scored or not. I will definitely sit for the exam because it's great practice but my verbal score really scares me and medical schools pay most attention to that score. I've been studying seriously since June and these are how my scores look since August (it's pretty pathetic).

Start
Kaplan FL1: 10/8/9 = 27
Kaplan FL2: 11/7/8 = 26
Kaplan FL3: 9/7/9 = 25
Kaplan FL4: 9/6/9 = 24

AAMC 5: 11/6/9 = 26

Kaplan FL5: 12/8/10 = 30

AAMC 7: 10/6/8 = 24
AAMC 8: 9/6/10 = 25 *I got super distracted during physics*
AAMC 9: 11/7/10 = 28

I took these tests in that order and AAMC 9 is most recent. Thanks guys and sorry for how long this post is!!

@baxt1412 you should be proud of yourself! Good luck on those interviews :))

So I need an opinion regarding whether I should get my exam scored or not. I will definitely sit for the exam because it's great practice but my verbal score really scares me and medical schools pay most attention to that score. I've been studying seriously since June and these are how my scores look since August (it's pretty pathetic).

Start
Kaplan FL1: 10/8/9 = 27
Kaplan FL2: 11/7/8 = 26
Kaplan FL3: 9/7/9 = 25
Kaplan FL4: 9/6/9 = 24

AAMC 5: 11/6/9 = 26

Kaplan FL5: 12/8/10 = 30

AAMC 7: 10/6/8 = 24
AAMC 8: 9/6/10 = 25 *I got super distracted during physics*
AAMC 9: 11/7/10 = 28

I took these tests in that order and AAMC 9 is most recent. Thanks guys and sorry for how long this post is!!

@baxt1412 you should be proud of yourself! Good luck on those interviews :))

Thank you for your encouragement. I love SDN

Have you taken the real deal before? Are you applying this cycle? Seems like you are heading upwards, continue taking full lengths to share with us. Are you applying only MD or DO as well?

This is my first try at the MCAT and I'm planning on applying next year. I will apply to both MD and DO regardless of how I do on my MCAT because it's always nice to have a cushion to catch you if you fall. Even if I don't retake by May next year (if I need it) I'll apply with what I've got and see where it takes me because if I need to retake I want to take it when I'm absolutely sure I will get a good score.

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't really expected one haha!

@TheEngineeringNerd

Considering you are at a 6-7 boundary for VR score wise, the jump to 8-9 is not altogether impossible. How much post-phrasing do you do after exams (specifically for VR)? Also, what resources have you used to prepare for the VR section exclusively?

I know sdn trots out EK 101 book as a masterpiece for VR but the truth is far from that. I found Princeton hyperlearning workbook to be far more useful in preparing for the AAMC-type questions. Have you tried that?
Your scores on the science section seem to be getting solid! Double digits is what you want to see consistently. You can probably squeeze a point or two in each section at this point by actively, impulsively post-phrasing your FLs.

Also, your mindset and confidence is one of those trivial things that actually is significant in boosting your morale and thus your focus. Don't entrap yourself into thinking before-hand that you will definitely void your score. Don't even think about test retake. Worry about what you missed today and what mistakes you need to address before the next FL you take.

Reactions: 3 users
@TheEngineeringNerd

Considering you are at a 6-7 boundary for VR score wise, the jump to 8-9 is not altogether impossible. How much post-phrasing do you do after exams (specifically for VR)? Also, what resources have you used to prepare for the VR section exclusively?

I know sdn trots out EK 101 book as a masterpiece for VR but the truth is far from that. I found Princeton hyperlearning workbook to be far more useful in preparing for the AAMC-type questions. Have you tried that?
Your scores on the science section seem to be getting solid! Double digits is what you want to see consistently. You can probably squeeze a point or two in each section at this point by actively, impulsively post-phrasing your FLs.

Also, your mindset and confidence is one of those trivial things that actually is significant in boosting your morale and thus your focus. Don't entrap yourself into thinking before-hand that you will definitely void your score. Don't even think about test retake. Worry about what you missed today and what mistakes you need to address before the next FL you take.

@texan2414 Thanks for your reply and encouragement! I have been told I'm too self-deprecating and need to have a more optimistic attitude :)

Here's what I do for verbal. I do 2 passages each day from EK 101 (you guessed it!) and review my answers right after. When I started practicing, I used to do it un-timed and after I got the hang of it, which I did, I started doing a passage pair in 17 minutes. I've been doing this since August-ish. I've also been doing FL's every week since August. I post-phrase the Kaplan way because I took a course, which sadly didn't help my verbal much at all. I basically re-write the question in simple terms and the right answer in simple terms and understand why the right answer is right and why the wrong answer I chose is wrong. I used to passage map but oh my goodness that took away time so I stopped doing that around 2 months ago.

Here are some trends I've noticed. I used to do well when I used to passage map but that made me end up with 5 minutes to do the last two passages so I had a ton of wrong answers at the end of my test. When I stopped passage mapping, I had enough time to finish but my wrong answers were spread out more. At this point, it's too late to flip back to mapping... I should probably just stick with the strategy I have and figure how to improve. I feel that passage mapping is nice to start practicing with but ends up being too inefficient when practicing timed.

Last edited:
@TheEngineeringNerd I too think passage mapping is a waste of time but I think the real emphasis should be on mental passage mapping. You need to be fully active and engaged with the passage as you are reading it.

I'm sure you have noticed that AAMC passages tend to be generally more straightforward - and the questions are sometimes difficult because they require more deduction than what you're probably used to. The reason why I stopped EK101 after Test 9 is because of the blatant subjectivity that is apparent in many of their answers. Also, they have very little Application or Incorporation of Information questions. These make the bulk of AAMC tests.

When I started out for my MCAT study this past August, I also knew that I needed to improve VR the most because last year I did abysmally on VR (got a 6). I started not by going to any prep book but by going to the Official AAMC Guide. There are 6 practice VR passages unseen anywhere else and I spent a full day doing those passages and really dissecting the questions. What most people fail to realize that while VR is an exercise in reading, it is as much an exercise in staying alert and keeping your focus more than anything else.

Also, you need to understand HOW the questions are written by the AAMC. You also need to understand how both the right AND wrong answers are written by test makers. This initially requires tremendous effort and time, but once you get the hang of AAMC style VR questions and answers, life becomes much easier and predictable haha. Then you can focus on timing and sharpening your reading skills. Reason I say that is first you should train yourself to look at the answer in the passage (because in VR section, all the answers are right in front of you) and later on, you can modify how you read, how much time you spend on details, etc. To me, those are secondary things in preparation for VR. The primary aspect is for you to recognize what the question is asking, how AAMC usually writes distractors and what kinds of things you're looking for in the RIGHT answers.

You might also take any passage from an online source and make your own AAMC style questions on it lol. Doing so helps you understand test-maker's mindset, which can further enhance your VR performance.

I attempted to do such a thing at: http://puu.sh/ckp4n.png
I'll post answers if you'd like me to :)

I hope this helped. Keep doing what you're doing. You're right at the verge of seeing through this test. Don't self-deprecate yourself, be confident in your abilities and approach the MCAT to the best of your abilities.

Reactions: 2 users
@TheEngineeringNerd I too think passage mapping is a waste of time but I think the real emphasis should be on mental passage mapping. You need to be fully active and engaged with the passage as you are reading it.

I'm sure you have noticed that AAMC passages tend to be generally more straightforward - and the questions are sometimes difficult because they require more deduction than what you're probably used to. The reason why I stopped EK101 after Test 9 is because of the blatant subjectivity that is apparent in many of their answers. Also, they have very little Application or Incorporation of Information questions. These make the bulk of AAMC tests.

When I started out for my MCAT study this past August, I also knew that I needed to improve VR the most because last year I did abysmally on VR (got a 6). I started not by going to any prep book but by going to the Official AAMC Guide. There are 6 practice VR passages unseen anywhere else and I spent a full day doing those passages and really dissecting the questions. What most people fail to realize that while VR is an exercise in reading, it is as much an exercise in staying alert and keeping your focus more than anything else.

Also, you need to understand HOW the questions are written by the AAMC. You also need to understand how both the right AND wrong answers are written by test makers. This initially requires tremendous effort and time, but once you get the hang of AAMC style VR questions and answers, life becomes much easier and predictable haha. Then you can focus on timing and sharpening your reading skills. Reason I say that is first you should train yourself to look at the answer in the passage (because in VR section, all the answers are right in front of you) and later on, you can modify how you read, how much time you spend on details, etc. To me, those are secondary things in preparation for VR. The primary aspect is for you to recognize what the question is asking, how AAMC usually writes distractors and what kinds of things you're looking for in the RIGHT answers.

You might also take any passage from an online source and make your own AAMC style questions on it lol. Doing so helps you understand test-maker's mindset, which can further enhance your VR performance.

I attempted to do such a thing at: http://puu.sh/ckp4n.png
I'll post answers if you'd like me to :)

I hope this helped. Keep doing what you're doing. You're right at the verge of seeing through this test. Don't self-deprecate yourself, be confident in your abilities and approach the MCAT to the best of your abilities.

Thank you so much @texan2414 and yes please, I would love the answers! I've heard of "getting to the test-maker's mind" but never really understood how, I think I get what you mean... It's all about predicting their move because all of the answer choices sound lovely. I agree, learning how to mind map is where you save time.

You don't have to tell me if you don't want to because this is public and I would totally understand but how much has your verbal increased since then and now using this strategy?

Last edited:
Answers at: http://puu.sh/crXFS.png

Last 3 aamcs I have done, my VR has been 11, 9 (1 away from 10), 10. And Kaplan VRs have been 8-9. I am almost done with self assessments so I will report all those scores when finished.

I don't really have a new strategy per se, its just that last year I never really developed any kind of methodology to approach VR. Now, I approach it using rules of induction, deduction mainly. What's different from what I did last year is targeted VR practice as well as a thorough analysis of all practice questions I have ever attempted since I started studying.

Answers at: http://puu.sh/crXFS.png

Last 3 aamcs I have done, my VR has been 11, 9 (1 away from 10), 10. And Kaplan VRs have been 8-9. I am almost done with self assessments so I will report all those scores when finished.

I don't really have a new strategy per se, its just that last year I never really developed any kind of methodology to approach VR. Now, I approach it using rules of induction, deduction mainly. What's different from what I did last year is targeted VR practice as well as a thorough analysis of all practice questions I have ever attempted since I started studying.

That's great @texan2414!! Anything in the 9-11 range would rock my world lol! I actually never did the self assessment stuff, are they made my the MCAT makers? Are they really good in your opinion?

Do you know about this strategy to verbal by @DoctorInASaree? I just found it and if I had a couple of months I would give it a go.

So inspired seeing all the improvement and support on here! keep on keeping on guys, we're so close :)
I'm so motivated and pumped to keep killing it these last 12 days. I have two midterms but I have never studied as hard as I just did this weekend and it's been showing in my score improvement. I wrote out all the scores I've gotten on my practice AAMCs I've taken from July up until now, and it's amazing to see how much hard work has made my scores improve into the 30+ range, even into my full length today. It's all about mentality too, which is what my biggest hurdle is going to be from now until test day.

Homestretch, guys, let's not falter now.

Reactions: 4 users
What do you guys do for the rest of the day after you've taken a Full Length? I feel EXHAUSTED after taking AAMC #5 today but I feel guilty to take the rest of the day off... lol..

What do you guys do for the rest of the day after you've taken a Full Length? I feel EXHAUSTED after taking AAMC #5 today but I feel guilty to take the rest of the day off... lol..
I like to go over the FL, not in detail, but just a general overview. Then later at night maybe watch some videos or work out some practice problems on the topics I missed.

But some times I cant wait and just start post-gaming it that same day lol

Reactions: 1 users
GS-5 (PS/VR/BS) 11/8/12. The first 12 of my MCAT life. I was so happy when I got that 12 last night - that I am 12 capable. Will do Section test # 6 (PS/BS) from Kaplan this evening. And will be focusing on old Kaplan exams, left AAMC's. Won't have time for anything else I suppose.....

GS-5 (PS/VR/BS) 11/8/12. The first 12 of my MCAT life. I was so happy when I got that 12 last night - that I am 12 capable. Will do Section test # 6 (PS/BS) from Kaplan this evening. And will be focusing on old Kaplan exams, left AAMC's. Won't have time for anything else I suppose.....

@sps27 Have the section tests helped you? I'm thinking about doing some for the biological science section because 10 is a little too close for comfort.

Is anybody planning on getting into a strict 10 pm - 6 am sleep schedule between now and the test, unless you already have one? My sleep schedule is terrible... and by terrible I mean 2 am - 10 am (on late class days)

@sps27 Have the section tests helped you? I'm thinking about doing some for the biological science section because 10 is a little too close for comfort.

Is anybody planning on getting into a strict 10 pm - 6 am sleep schedule between now and the test, unless you already have one? My sleep schedule is terrible... and by terrible I mean 2 am - 10 am (on late class days)

I've been trying very hard for a while now to wake up early. I usually get up around 7:00, but if I wake up any earlier, I just feel so tired! And this is with a full night of sleep. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I just realized that Day Light Savings time ends on the 2nd. That means that waking up at 7:00 am will be equal to waking up at 6:00 am on test day! The time change is working in our favor!

Hehe if anyone wants a study break take a look at these comics... these are gold!!!

med-student-personalities.jpg

12+medical+specialty+stereotypes+full+%2528new%2529.jpg

I've been trying very hard for a while now to wake up early. I usually get up around 7:00, but if I wake up any earlier, I just feel so tired! And this is with a full night of sleep. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I just realized that Day Light Savings time ends on the 2nd. That means that waking up at 7:00 am will be equal to waking up at 6:00 am on test day! The time change is working in our favor!

Same... I don't feel fully awake until 9 am lol! Obviously I love my sleep:shy:

Those section tests are good practice, imo. Even their topical tests are pretty good. They are harder, quite conceptual and makes you think.......which is beneficial. I time myself, but am rarely able to complete them within indicated time limits. So I use them as practice material not test material.

Hey guys-- tip for ya: since everyone has been saying the latest MCAT tests have been super conceptual in PS and super experimental in BS...do the official guide MCAT passages! The Physics has at least 2/5 conceptual passages, and from what I've seen (haven't finished them yet), most of the BS passages are experimental. Just thought I'd share.

Anyone who uses kaplan, is it possible to buy some of their FLs only?

Here's the thing with kaplan tests. I'm in a course and I believe I have 10 full lengths or something. You should probably only use kaplan test 1-5 because the ones after that are crazy difficult and way curved so overall, not very accurate. That came from one of my kaplan teachers, without the "not very accurate" part because who would give their own company a bad name. He did say not to even attempt tests 7-9 because they will make you cry haha!

Hey guys-- tip for ya: since everyone has been saying the latest MCAT tests have been super conceptual in PS and super experimental in BS...do the official guide MCAT passages! The Physics has at least 2/5 conceptual passages, and from what I've seen (haven't finished them yet), most of the BS passages are experimental. Just thought I'd share.[/QUO

Where do I find the official MCAT guide? Is it an AAMC product?

Yep-- unfortunately its a hard copy only product. You have to order it from them, and it claims that the passages in the book are from past MCATs, and that they are not in any of the full lengths/SAs.

Hey guys-- tip for ya: since everyone has been saying the latest MCAT tests have been super conceptual in PS and super experimental in BS...do the official guide MCAT passages! The Physics has at least 2/5 conceptual passages, and from what I've seen (haven't finished them yet), most of the BS passages are experimental. Just thought I'd share.

May sound like a silly question, but is it hard copy or pdf (or similar to how their practice exams are)?

Is it possible to go through the Official guide in a day or so.......just asking......like how many passages per section are there?

If you try and order it on the AAMC website, there might be an option for expedited shipping. I got mine through a friend :/

There are 5 passages + 1 set of discretes for Physics, Gen chem, Bio, Orgo, and I think verbal has 5 or so. I haven't gotten to verbal yet in the book.

update: AAMC 7

15 PS 13 VR 13 BS 41

PS was definitely do-able besides the verbal-esque passage thrown in there about earthquakes.

The VR section felt a lot more straightforward than aamc 4 or 5 but I still made some dumb mistakes nonetheless:confused:

BS had some weird passages including the one with cell signaling, I think I overthought on some of the questions and made things harder than they were for myself. meh

with that said, 10 days left guys!!! lets crush this exam!:clap: :highfive:

Something interesting. My two highest scores were 42 (aamc 3) and today's 41 (aamc 7) and on both days I had less than 6 hours of sleep. Anyone else feel they function much better on less sleep?

Something interesting. My two highest scores were 42 (aamc 3) and today's 41 (aamc 7) and on both days I had less than 6 hours of sleep. Anyone else feel they function much better on less sleep?
Umm nahh buddy, get that sleep

update: AAMC 7

15 PS 13 VR 13 BS 41

PS was definitely do-able besides the verbal-esque passage thrown in there about earthquakes.

The VR section felt a lot more straightforward than aamc 4 or 5 but I still made some dumb mistakes nonetheless:confused:

BS had some weird passages including the one with cell signaling, I think I overthought on some of the questions and made things harder than they were for myself. meh

with that said, 10 days left guys!!! lets crush this exam!:clap: :highfive:

Wow that is a KILLER score! You probably know I'm having trouble with verbal and I would be super grateful if you told me what score you started with and what strategy you're using please :)

Wow that is a KILLER score! You probably know I'm having trouble with verbal and I would be super grateful if you told me what score you started with and what strategy you're using please :)

Hey I started using Examkrackers 101 verbal book and did a couple of passages using essentially no strategy at all: read passage slowly, understand, then answer questions. I started off with a 9 on my first EK 101 test then gradually improved to 10. I think EK's style and format is not consistent with that of AAMC's in that the passages are easy to read but the questions are ridiculous. Whereas with AAMC its the opposite, convoluted passages with 90% of questions relating to the main idea. I switched to the TPRH book and it worked wonders for me since it mimics the AAMC style really well imo. I also timed myself with 7 minutes per passage so this way I trained myself to read faster and efficiently. This took a lot of time though so I would just recommend you stick with your current strategy as it is because it's kinda late to try a whole new approach with the test looming over us.

What I definitely will recommend is to NOT SKIP any passage no matter how daunting it might seem. Passages are going to be made boring and convoluted purposely by the AAMC to maintain a steady level of difficulty. Your goal is to attack every single word and extract the author's thesis and tone.

Hey I started using Examkrackers 101 verbal book and did a couple of passages using essentially no strategy at all: read passage slowly, understand, then answer questions. I started off with a 9 on my first EK 101 test then gradually improved to 10. I think EK's style and format is not consistent with that of AAMC's in that the passages are easy to read but the questions are ridiculous. Whereas with AAMC its the opposite, convoluted passages with 90% of questions relating to the main idea. I switched to the TPRH book and it worked wonders for me since it mimics the AAMC style really well imo. I also timed myself with 7 minutes per passage so this way I trained myself to read faster and efficiently. This took a lot of time though so I would just recommend you stick with your current strategy as it is because it's kinda late to try a whole new approach with the test looming over us.

What I definitely will recommend is to NOT SKIP any passage no matter how daunting it might seem. Passages are going to be made boring and convoluted purposely by the AAMC to maintain a steady level of difficulty. Your goal is to attack every single word and extract the author's thesis and tone.

Thank you!! I agree, I can't change my strategy because it's wayyy to close to the exam, I was just curious because you are doing a phenomenal job! I wish I found out about TPRH before because someone else also recommended it.

Maybe some of you don't need this mnemonic or already know it but I really liked it for electrochemistry questions because this is what they like to test:

The Red Cat gets Fat = Reduction occurs at the Cathode, which gains weight = gets Fat

Remember this and just know the opposite happens at the anode.