The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
lol Sorry. There were openings at 1 PM, though. Just keep checking throughout each day and you might catch an opening when someone cancels.

I really don't think I did well and will probably sign up for a january retake but the world is so much more of a happier place post MCAT.

There is a spring in my step and I haven't felt this well rested in almost five months.

This must be how normal people feel.

Reactions: 8 users
I really don't think I did well and will probably sign up for a january retake but the world is so much more of a happier place post MCAT.

There is a spring in my step and I haven't felt this well rested in almost five months.

This must be how normal people feel.

The night I finished the MCAT I felt so rested and relaxed and thought "is this real life?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what I am going to do at work now that I don't have to study anymore lol... Guess I will have to start seeing patients again lmao :p

Ive literally watched like 24 hours worth of tv this weekend. I havent moved. It's awesome.

Im really hoping i did well enough. Im expecting a 30, i can live with it. (Being realistic here, that was my average)

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I've basically been watching TV and gathering info about putting together the strongest application. Even though my average was 34, I'm expecting a 30 because that PS section rocked my face off. I'll probably retake if I get below a 32, so basically I'm probably retaking lol

Where can I take an mCat diagnositc exam to see my weaknesses? I read earlier someone said Kaplan offers one, but I cannot find that post. Assuming I dont have to pay for the class to take it

Everyone there is open seats for 12/6 currently! I just signed up for an opening in st.louis

They released seats last Sat, when we couldn't register. Good job AAMC. Now all seats are gone........

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I've basically been watching TV and gathering info about putting together the strongest application. Even though my average was 34, I'm expecting a 30 because that PS section rocked my face off. I'll probably retake if I get below a 32, so basically I'm probably retaking lol

Dude, never and I mean NEVER retake if you get above a 30. Unless you're applying to IV league or upper tier schools, it's a risky thing to do. I read the retake thread and most said if you have above an 8 on one subject with the other two above a 10, don't even consider retaking. Especially if the 8 was verbal because that score is tough to increase as you may already know. Of course, this depends on where you're applying.

Just remember, you don't have to get a 35 because in the end, you want to go to medical school and become a doctor and that's what matters, not prove you potential to anybody because anything above a 30 is a fantastic score!

Does anybody know about Draupadi's method to verbal? If so, any suggestions? Since I have more time I want to try something because verbal is my main enemy right now. I could get an 11 or 12 on physics and 10 on biology but verbal absolutely sucks! I've read that being good at verbal shows across the board so it is absolutely crucial to do well on that.

so i was getting 8-12 on ps aamc practice test. if i was able to replicate the result except completely guessed on 2 passage on exam do you think I might get below 7

Dude, never and I mean NEVER retake if you get above a 30. Unless you're applying to IV league or upper tier schools, it's a risky thing to do. I read the retake thread and most said if you have above an 8 on one subject with the other two above a 10, don't even consider retaking. Especially if the 8 was verbal because that score is tough to increase as you may already know. Of course, this depends on where you're applying.

Just remember, you don't have to get a 35 because in the end, you want to go to medical school and become a doctor and that's what matters, not prove you potential to anybody because anything above a 30 is a fantastic score!

I would normally agree with you. However, I've got a black mark due to a past event, so I have to have the strongest application possible. My GPA was 3.8, I have several years' experience as a surgical assistant at an oral surgery practice, and will also have good volunteering hours by the time apps are turned in, but I feel I will still need a MINIMUM of a 32 to have a chance at an interview. So if I don't get that, I will be paying some serious thought to a retake.

Why have multiple posters on this thread cited December 9th as the day scores are released?
I thought it was 35 days which puts it at about December 12

I'm at about 1000. Do we know how many seats and if it's in all states? This gives some hope for a backup plan if Nov 7th didn't go the way I wanted it to, but could be a false hope if there aren't any open seats in Wisconsin by time I get in....

I'm at about 1000. Do we know how many seats and if it's in all states? This gives some hope for a backup plan if Nov 7th didn't go the way I wanted it to, but could be a false hope if there aren't any open seats in Wisconsin by time I get in....

It might become so bad that you may have to consider taking it out of country if you really want to take it again

Im really worried about BS discrete questions. The only thing giving me hope right now is Practice Test 11 in which I got a 32 (12/10/10). For the 10 on BS I got 13 questions wrong. Im concerned about about 5-7 BS discrete questions. The passage questions are always easy for me.

Im becoming so religious

I don't think that's within my realm of possibilities. Nor do I believe I did that poorly on the exam last Friday. I'm mainly signing up as a security blanket. I am however willing to hit the surrounding states, but yeah definitely not out of the country lol.

Im Muslim, and I have been doing all my five prayers every day LOL. I feel bad but I keep saying Im going to carry on praying regularly if I break 30.

Reactions: 1 users
When I signed up, there was no waiting list, I chose the Jan 10th date. I saw many states available. Clicked CA and got lucky because there was a super close testing center. However, they were only two testing centers available for that date in CA. Idk how others dates looked liked.

When I signed up, there was no waiting list, I chose the Jan 10th date. I saw many states available. Clicked CA and got lucky because there was a super close testing center. However, they were only two testing centers available for that date in CA. Idk how others dates looked liked.

After a 40 minute wait for more thatn 2,000 people in the queue, By 3PM, nothing was available we could see. Sigh

Im looking into how to make 28 days go by fast. Wish this was just like the damn DATS where you get your score on the same day after you select score.

Im so glad I was able to sign up before today. I am work and would have missed the oppurtunity to get a seat it's crazy how many people are trying to take it!

your signature quote is killing me hahaa

"better to know than to wonder" How CAN I when I have to wait 28 days till the 9th?

Too funny. Just you wait for application season, when the silence begins. That's another fun activity. THen you get emails with rejections, and then you think silence is better. It is not. Get the information and move on, same with MCAT, have your strategy based upon a range of scores, so you will know your next steps. Best wishes to all.

Got me a seat in Austin, TX for Jan 15 @ 1pm. Though it is in another state and I will most certainly have to fly, but so relieved that I got at least 1 seat.......

I just kept refreshing the AAMC registration page until a test spot opened up... I'm booked for January 13th; I hope to god that I won't need to use it! December 9th can't get here fast enough!

Do you guys think there will be a lot of January seats available nov25-dec 1 because of all the October kids

I was looking over at the AAMC_MCAT twitter page and wow....... AAMC's conduct towards this registration has been so unprofessional.
I sincerely hope that you guys are really able to test when you feel best prepared for it. AAMC definitely need to have a conversation with adcoms for next year's cycle, informing them that the MCAT scores may NOT reflect the applicant's performance. The current admission standards assume that you took and scored the MCAT when you were most ready/best prepared for. That certainly doesn't hold true for Dec/Jan testers who are rushing to take the current version of the exam.

For me, I will no longer retake the MCAT - just have no more energy or motivation. I've tried my best to avoid the forums but decided to pop back in and check how things were going.

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking over at the AAMC_MCAT twitter page and wow....... AAMC's conduct towards this registration has been so unprofessional.
I sincerely hope that you guys are really able to test when you feel best prepared for it. AAMC definitely need to have a conversation with adcoms for next year's cycle, informing them that the MCAT scores may NOT reflect the applicant's performance. The current admission standards assume that you took and scored the MCAT when you were most ready/best prepared for. That certainly doesn't hold true for Dec/Jan testers who are rushing to take the current version of the exam.

For me, I will no longer retake the MCAT - just have no more energy or motivation. I've tried my best to avoid the forums but decided to pop back in and check how things were going.

You know they won't have a conversation with adcoms. Just another way to make the applicant pool smaller.