The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do occasionally use the program Self-Control on my MacBook to block Facebook. It really helps!

I feel you about the breaks. I'm currently not too sure how I'm going to schedule in a full day or half day break because I really don't want to slack off, but I know it can be really beneficial in the long-run. Any tips, guys? How are the rest of you scheduling in full day or half day breaks?

Completely agree with you! On days I should be taking off, I can help but think "Today could be the day you improve your score." or "Do you think accepted students wussed (sp?) out on the first week?!" lol. I am pretty harsh on myself.

But, ultimately, burnout can be more detrimental to your score than that 1 day break! And, I am starting to realize this now! ha.

What kind of dense materials are you reading? I find the MCAT Verbal passages to be a lot denser than news or journal articles from the recommended New Yorker, Economics, etc. so any recommendations would be great!

(My boyfriend who took the MCATs last month and has been consistently scoring 30+ said to keep practicing with ExamKrackers 1001 Verbal Passages because those are just as dense as the real thing.)

That is extremely reassuring with the negative stigma it has here on SDN!

I was starting to feel discouraged: I have been scoring about a 10 (doing 1 passage at a time, timed for 7 minutes). So, when people claim it is nothing like the real thing, I fear I will make a lot worse!!

I got sidetracked with family related issues so I'm skipping my break days this week. It's not too bad as long as you don't feel mentally exhausted, at that point you should def take an hour break or so. oh and I deactivated my facebook until test day

I wish I had the discipline you had to delete my FB!

And I had to visit my boyfriend's family for his Memaw's birthday, so that is why I had to skip my break days, too! I can relate!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had the discipline you had to delete my FB!

And I had to visit my boyfriend's family for his Memaw's birthday, so that is why I had to skip my break days, too! I can relate!

Hahah. I was sitting in my Kaplan class and I was like. I can't do it. Can't do Facebook. Its not as bad....... As you might think. I was just spending a lot of time on it...so I needed it. I am about to start........Electrostatics tonight before I go for my run. I haaaatttee electrostatics.... ;( see you guys in a bit.

This may be rough but I got rid of my Facebook in June. I knew it was gonna be a huuuuge distraction...and felt like I needed to just get rid of it. Too much temptation to mindlessly log in and scroll through news feed! I am glad... I did it. Its a sacrifice but I didn't have a huge problem...as in go through withdrawal. Don't plan on getting back on it until this test is taken care of and done! So far so good. I let the important people in my life know why I am going MIA in virtual world!

Ahhh, I just need to bite the bullet for sure! So much wasted time! I usually like to scroll through it as a 10 minute morning wake-up routine, but there are so many other things I could read to get my mind out of sleep mode! I need to find something like that. Maybe, I will write a paragraph or so on a notecard from the previous day's work and use that as my morning wake-up.

Ahhh, I just need to bite the bullet for sure! So much wasted time! I usually like to scroll through it as a 10 minute morning wake-up routine, but there are so many other things I could read to get my mind out of sleep mode! I need to find something like that. Maybe, I will write a paragraph or so on a notecard from the previous day's work and use that as my morning wake-up.

See that was another problem... I would open my eyes and then instantly grab my phone and just scroll....scroll. My vision is still blurry while I am doing this...mind you. That's totally not cool and a problem....... No thanks. I look forward to returning to Facebook!!! :)

I'm following the SN2ed schedule so basically I'm focusing on content and practice passages every day. I'll take all of the AAMC's 2weeks prior to the test. I did take a TPR full length though a few weeks back when I signed up for the course. Got a 30 but I wasn't completely ready then.

Kaplan is definitely good for the sciences not so much as verbal. Good luck and don't burn out!

This makes me feel a lot better! I just rearranged my schedule and was afraid taking them similar to this was a bad idea.

Being a little non-traditional for me was literally the best thing I could have ever done for myself! Don't ever be ashamed! I just look at it as being smart enough to realize that I needed more time than traditional (high school, college, medical school) students to make my application as competitive as possible!

I'm not too non-traditional, but just a little. I was scheduled to graduate in May 2014, until I had some medical issues and was recommended to take a semester off, throwing me a semester behind (graduating December 2014). I tried to make myself study for the MCAT during a full load of semester courses, and it just did not go well. Ultimately, it made me feel even WORSE about the situation and depleted what was left of my confidence (after making a C in human physiology >.<)

But, I am only taking 8 hours now, and have been very diligent with my studying! And, like you, my studying is going fantastically! I have never been as interested as I am now, and I just have so much faith in myself!

WE CAN DO IT! :)

Also, I will be applying for the Fall 2016 enrollment/ start semester, too!

>> I totally agree about the competitiveness of pre-meds! It is a fight to the death! But, as long as you stay away from applying in the Southeast, I guess we can still be friends. ;)

Just kidding! :D

I am on Day 15 of my modified SN2ED 3-month schedule. I only bought the EK books (complete set, 101, and 1001). I know a lot of people disprove of this, but I really think I can make my goal (30: 10/10/10 or possibly 13/12/10) using them. (This could be a large downfall on my behalf, but I am putting a lot of study time in and making the most out of every day, every chapter, and all of those online sources! haha.

At first, I was completely 2 billion % dreading physics (I didn't learn diddly-squat in my pre-req college class and have never had a physics class in high school). However, I have read the corresponding chapters in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Physics, and I have actually been understanding! Woo hoo!

But, I am starting to experience burnout already. I know you are probably thinking, "It's only Day 15, how does she think she is EVER going to get through medical school?" In my defense, I have been putting in ~15 hours a day. This is entirely unrealistic. Plus, I have not had a day off since I began. HUGE mistake, but I will definitely be taking my next break day!

I made a 22 on my diagnostic, but I really think I can pull out a 30 (maybe even a bit over a 30).

Where do you stand for now (if you would like to share)?
;) fixed that for you :highfive:

Being a little non-traditional for me was literally the best thing I could have ever done for myself! Don't ever be ashamed! I just look at it as being smart enough to realize that I needed more time than traditional (high school, college, medical school) students to make my application as competitive as possible!

Thanks! I feel like I keep telling my pre-med advisor: I pushed the test back again OR I need more time, and it just sounds horrible to me! I don't enjoy pushing the test or medical school applications back because I've been dreaming about medical school for years and after a bit of shadowing and lots of volunteering in the ER, I know that this is what I really want to do. Just knowing that my pre-med advisor is the one to write my committee letter makes me feel so self-conscious about what I tell her, BUT I know it must be done and I really hope she understands. BUT I do feel so pumped about this last try. I, too, believe I can do so much better (banking on 30+, if not at least 27+) in November, being able to have my DO LOR ready, and being able to have my primaries ready for submission once applications open for Fall 2016 enrollment rather than rushing now for Fall 2015 enrollment makes me feel so much more confident and prepared. I truly believe preparing for medical school as a pre-med has made me grow so much in terms of time management, mindset, and attitude. So, I totally agree with you and thank you for saying "Don't ever be ashamed!" HUGE kudos and props to you for doing what you need to do and seeing the bigger picture. :D

I totally agree about the competitiveness of pre-meds! It is a fight to the death! But, as long as you stay away from applying in the Southeast, I guess we can still be friends. ;)

Just kidding! :D
Hehe ^_^ My current goal is to study and practice in the Northeast, but I'm really open minded to schools in any location because my desire is to study the osteopathic philosophy of medicine no matter where it is, but YASS we can still be friends :p

But, I am starting to experience burnout already. I know you are probably thinking, "It's only Day 15, how does she think she is EVER going to get through medical school?" In my defense, I have been putting in ~15 hours a day. This is entirely unrealistic. Plus, I have not had a day off since I began. HUGE mistake, but I will definitely be taking my next break day!
I did not have that thought in mind. As a matter of fact, I felt horrible yesterday because for some reason, every time I tried to study within two minutes, my focus waned. And that was not the case the day before, or the day before that, when I pretty much flew through my studies and felt so good that I was able to stay focused and be productive. I talked to my Kaplan teachers about it and they said I might be feeling a little burnt out from the loaded study sessions the days before. That's why I'm taking tomorrow all off: going to the beach and then volunteering at a Game Night at a senior home. :D I got good sleep last night and am ready to tackle today's work! Which brings me to another thing, I am so proud and impressed of you for studying for like 8 hours every day! I'm currently doing 5-7 hours per day (8 if I get lucky and can manage :p) Keep it up!!

Where do you stand for now (if you would like to share)?
I don't mind at all! Especially because we're all so supportive haha
My last full length was a Kaplan test about a couple weeks ago. I got a 6/9/6, so lots of work left to do! But I believe I can do it and I'm finishing up content review next week and going to take another full length then as well.

Reactions: 2 users
So, keep everyone pumped, what are your plans today?

My goal today is to study productively for at least 6 hours. I want to do a Kaplan Verbal Sectional Test (the full 60 minutes); read 10-12 news/journal articles, Kaplan Orgo. ch. 11, 12, 14, 15; 90-minutes office hours with Kaplan teachers; ~2 hour Kaplan Biology Unit 2 lecture. This schedule is probably going to take me way over 6 hours and I think it's a lot, so frequent breaks are necessary. But I really determined to study as productively as possible (quality > quantity), so let's see how it goes! Starting.....NOW

Good luck, everyone!!

So, keep everyone pumped, what are your plans today?

My goal today is to study productively for at least 6 hours. I want to do a Kaplan Verbal Sectional Test (the full 60 minutes); read 10-12 news/journal articles, Kaplan Orgo. ch. 11, 12, 14, 15; 90-minutes office hours with Kaplan teachers; ~2 hour Kaplan Biology Unit 2 lecture. This schedule is probably going to take me way over 6 hours and I think it's a lot, so frequent breaks are necessary. But I really determined to study as productively as possible (quality > quantity), so let's see how it goes! Starting.....NOW

Good luck, everyone!!

Sounds like a busy Friday! I am reviewing my notes from the week and doing a bio chapter! Other than that it's break day for me! Going to go on a bike ride and chillax!

Sounds like a busy Friday! I am reviewing my notes from the week and doing a bio chapter! Other than that it's break day for me! Going to go on a bike ride and chillax!

That sounds nice! That's good that you're letting yourself relax. I'm planning to take a whole day off tomorrow, so I really want to make the most of today. Which company are you studying biology from?

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds nice! That's good that you're letting yourself relax. I'm planning to take a whole day off tomorrow, so I really want to make the most of today. Which company are you studying biology from?

Right now, I am doing Kaplan course. Doing Berkeley and AAMC last. Since they are the super important ones. Glad you are taking a day off..!! Its soo important. I haven't been out all week. Need social contact. Good luck. Your schedule seems really tough... I would not be able to get that much done! Let us know how you do! Lol

Right now, I am doing Kaplan course. Doing Berkeley and AAMC last. Since they are the super important ones. Glad you are taking a day off..!! Its soo important. I haven't been out all week. Need social contact. Good luck. Your schedule seems really tough... I would not be able to get that much done! Let us know how you do! Lol
I will let you guys know. Honestly, I do think I set more goals than I can accomplish each day. Let's see how I do today and I'll modify as needed for future schedules. Question, I don't know much about Berkeley... are they really good, in terms of being really close to the AAMC style of testing... or are they really good with content?

What time do you guys plan to wake up for test day? The Philadelphia - Walnut site isn't available on Nov. 7th, so I opted for the Philadelphia - Conshohocken site that's about twice the distance, but should be about a 30-minute drive. My boyfriend and I are going to wake up at 6am for breakfast and warm-up (read a couple verbal passages and do a little bit of QBank questions) before the test at 8am.

The thing is, I'm used to waking up at 9-10am after 8-9 hours of sleep, so I need to make a gradual transition with my sleep schedule to make sure I'm well-rested on test date. Ideally, I need to sleep by 10pm each night by test week... but 10pm for a recent college graduate is like WUTTTTTTTT?! lol what about you guys?

I will let you guys know. Honestly, I do think I set more goals than I can accomplish each day. Let's see how I do today and I'll modify as needed for future schedules. Question, I don't know much about Berkeley... are they really good, in terms of being really close to the AAMC style of testing... or are they really good with content?

TBR is really good...you can check out the testimonials online or this website. It's really content heavy...and a lot of people have spoken highly of it. I have the books and might as well give it a shot! Can't hurt. At the end of the day...the more practice you have with the subjects the better you'll be.

TBR is really good...you can check out the testimonials online or this website. It's really content heavy...and a lot of people have spoken highly of it. I have the books and might as well give it a shot! Can't hurt. At the end of the day...the more practice you have with the subjects the better you'll be.
I think I'll check that out for a second source of content review. Do they offer practice problems or tests as well? I will check out the testimonials a little later! Thanks :D True that!

I think I'll check that out for a second source of content review. Do they offer practice problems or tests as well? I will check out the testimonials a little later! Thanks :D True that!

Yes.. Practice questions after each chapter/section. And then ...practice tests also...all come with books. Yeah.. Search for then on SDN. They have a study plan also available....12weeks and 16weeks.

Today, I am doing 1/3 in all EK 1001's for my previous week's topics! Along with the re-reading associated!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, and I deactivated FB! Yay for Elizabeth! :D

Someone at my school saw my EK books while I was waiting in line at Chick-Fil-A (not important), but anyway, told me that she really recommended TPR. But I feel like I have been doing well with EK thus far... And I have a one-on-one tutor. So many conflicting ideas! >_<

Someone at my school saw my EK books while I was waiting in line at Chick-Fil-A (not important), but anyway, told me that she really recommended TPR. But I feel like I have been doing well with EK thus far... And I have a one-on-one tutor. So many conflicting ideas! >_<
Just a thought, maybe you can go to the local free library and see if they have a TPR MCAT prep book or maybe a department in your university that you're familiar with has some MCAT books (the Chemistry department at my school has TPR, Kaplan, and a variety of magazines for students to borrow). Check out some of the content and perhaps try some of their practice problems to see if you feel it could help supplement your studies or if it feels redundant to your present resources, ditch it. Just my two-cents!

Omg! Congratulations! You will not regret it trust me! Also... Yes lots of recommendations! But stick to what you are doing.. Finish it all the way through the EK. Then if you want try a diff company. I am doing Kaplan. Than TBR. I feel if you try too many than you are just all over the place! And its best to do one company at a time.

Also I highly recommend ear plugs! I live in a busy household...and yesterday used them and was surprised at how easy it was to get through physics! Going to start reviewing here in a few mins with my ear plugs. Also I don't keep my phone near me....usually send out a mass text to important people saying "studying DnD, emergency, email or call house phone".

Omg! Congratulations! You will not regret it trust me! Also... Yes lots of recommendations! But stick to what you are doing.. Finish it all the way through the EK. Then if you want try a diff company. I am doing Kaplan. Than TBR. I feel if you try too many than you are just all over the place! And its best to do one company at a time.
Yeah but I highly recommend TBR it is easily the best out of every review book .. They shouldnt even call it a review book it does more teaching than reviewing .. I love that book so much!!

Phew. Took a three day Lake Havasu break. I took my books just in case I found some time study, I didn't lol. I did however took a book to read, I have been reading more since I started studying and seen my VR scores go up by an average of about two! Just gonna keep doing TPR WB and reading on my own. I dont read the economist or wall street journal, just been reading A Game of Thrones (great book; haven't watched the series either)

Day 20 for me so general chemistry it is....going to have to make up for lost days later on this month or early next month.
Here is to a productive Friday!

Reactions: 3 users
Your schedule seems really tough... I would not be able to get that much done! Let us know how you do! Lol

So, yesterday, I did about 6 hours of studying. Turns out I had studied orgo ch. 11, 12, and 14 before... so I just reread orgo. ch. 11. I read 5 articles, attended my 90 minutes office hours and asked as many questions that were on my mind as I could, read up on more testing strategies here on SDN esp. the Spinach Method, and remade my whole study schedule leading up to Test Day. There are a few times I wish I could have done like finished my Biology Unit 2 On-Demand class, studied Orgo Ch. 15, and read more articles, but that's okay! Moving on!

I think what I learned from this is that I overload my study schedule a bit, which can cause a lot of unneeded stress (and a mix of motivation, too), so I will tone down my day-to-day goals to be more manageable, but still a bit of a reach to drive me. Anyway, that's for Sunday! lol BREAK DAY TODAY :D

So, yesterday, I did about 6 hours of studying. Turns out I had studied orgo ch. 11, 12, and 14 before... so I just reread orgo. ch. 11. I read 5 articles, attended my 90 minutes office hours and asked as many questions that were on my mind as I could, read up on more testing strategies here on SDN esp. the Spinach Method, and remade my whole study schedule leading up to Test Day. There are a few times I wish I could have done like finished my Biology Unit 2 On-Demand class, studied Orgo Ch. 15, and read more articles, but that's okay! Moving on!

I think what I learned from this is that I overload my study schedule a bit, which can cause a lot of unneeded stress (and a mix of motivation, too), so I will tone down my day-to-day goals to be more manageable, but still a bit of a reach to drive me. Anyway, that's for Sunday! lol BREAK DAY TODAY :D

Congratulations!!! :) you seemed like you got a lot, a lot done!! Good for you! I also plan on incorporating the spinach method into studying...somewhere along the line! Enjoy your break day today!

Hey guys, I"m taking this November test. I finished going through all the content with the kaplan books yesterday so it looks like we have slightly less than 11 weeks before this test.

After going through the content one time, what should I do? I have EK 1001 and I should be getting my TBR books next week as well. I use the TPRH and EK 101 for verbal practice and before I knew
about sn2ed i was getting around 9-11's in the EK practice tests for verbal. But the sn2ed suggests just doing 3 passages a day since practice tests will have full length verbals anyways.

As for PS and BS, what do I do from here?

Phew. Took a three day Lake Havasu break. I took my books just in case I found some time study, I didn't lol. I did however took a book to read, I have been reading more since I started studying and seen my VR scores go up by an average of about two! Just gonna keep doing TPR WB and reading on my own. I dont read the economist or wall street journal, just been reading A Game of Thrones (great book; haven't watched the series either)

Day 20 for me so general chemistry it is....going to have to make up for lost days later on this month or early next month.
Here is to a productive Friday!

So true. my VR score increases drastically if I come back to doing passages after ignoring it for 2-3 days. Still haven't figured out a sure-fire strategy yet but I am keeping a log of methods that have worked for me:

1. sit up straight while reading passages and move your lips as you read the passage.
2. go back minimally for retrieval questions that require detail, otherwise just rely on the author's main argument and tone to answer the questions.
hope to get more tips in till test day

I've heard great things about chad's videos from course saver. Maybe give that a try?
yeah he is ook with physics but chem and orgo is really his thing.. And he is at the end of his studying so i doubt he will spend $50 on a one month subscription if he will be writing the exam soon .. Wiki premed is free and that dudes specialty is physics and he does a pretty good review all the time

Totally bombed my physics portion... Hope everyone else had a better day than I did! Lol.
Just speaking from theory (not from personally experience yet, unfortunately), have you tried going through this same physics portion untimed and working through each problem meticulously until you understand most, if not all, of them? Perhaps along the way you will notice a trend or a weakness that stands out, which you can begin working on. Good luck!!! You got this!

Hey guys, I"m taking this November test. I finished going through all the content with the kaplan books yesterday so it looks like we have slightly less than 11 weeks before this test.

After going through the content one time, what should I do? I have EK 1001 and I should be getting my TBR books next week as well. I use the TPRH and EK 101 for verbal practice and before I knew
about sn2ed i was getting around 9-11's in the EK practice tests for verbal. But the sn2ed suggests just doing 3 passages a day since practice tests will have full length verbals anyways.

As for PS and BS, what do I do from here?
It sounds like you should start by taking a practice test and seeing where your weakness PS and BS topics lie, and then study up and practice that topic. Go back, take another FL and repeat process. You could also work on EK to hone down the concepts in between FLs.

I took a whole break day today. Went to the beach and hung out with friends at Johnny's Rockets. It was so relaxing and fun! I also volunteered at a Game's Night at a senior home with my co-ed fraternity brothers. That was awesome, too. I honestly could roll into bed right now...tired enough for it, but I'm going to hit the shower and get in a minimum of 3 articles. Perhaps, I will consider them as bedtime stores. haha back to serious work tomorrow! ^is it really 11 weeks left? For some reason that sounds like so little to me, but that's like a school semester, so breathe...there's still some time if we use it well.

MY BOYFRIEND JUST PUT ON BIG BANG THEORY. UGHHHH MUST RESIST. should I? lol (<--kinda sorta rhetorical :p)

I took a whole break day today. Went to the beach and hung out with friends at Johnny's Rockets. It was so relaxing and fun! I also volunteered at a Game's Night at a senior home with my co-ed fraternity brothers. That was awesome, too. I honestly could roll into bed right now...tired enough for it, but I'm going to hit the shower and get in a minimum of 3 articles. Perhaps, I will consider them as bedtime stores. haha back to serious work tomorrow! ^is it really 11 weeks left? For some reason that sounds like so little to me, but that's like a school semester, so breathe...there's still some time if we use it well.

Sounds fun... I've been slaving all day lol. Umm yea I usually count the weeks every week. As for the advice thanks for that. And yea a semester is about 16 weeks so we have 5 weeks less than a full semester. Which isnt too bad. At least for now :)

Just speaking from theory (not from personally experience yet, unfortunately), have you tried going through this same physics portion untimed and working through each problem meticulously until you understand most, if not all, of them? Perhaps along the way you will notice a trend or a weakness that stands out, which you can begin working on. Good luck!!! You got this!

This is what happened not timing and trying to understand. >.<

My screen name really says it all!! Lol. This was my 1/3, so I am going to go back through them before attempting my 2/3.

This is what happened not timing and trying to understand. >.<

My screen name really says it all!! Lol. This was my 1/3, so I am going to go back through them before attempting my 2/3.
Oh, sorry! I remember now. You said you were doing your 1/3 of EK Physics. For some reason, I thought you meant you had taken a Physics practice test. I'm sorry for misunderstanding :( Good luck! You got this :D

Sounds fun... I've been slaving all day lol.
That shall be me again starting tomorrow until my next scheduled full or half day break! But seriously though, that's awesome that you've been successfully productive today. Keep it up!

So I'm up to scoring 84-85% on TBR Bio and Physics so far. Are these good percentages for TBR? Orgo on the other hand...

So I'm up to scoring 84-85% on TBR Bio and Physics so far. Are these good percentages for TBR? Orgo on the other hand...

Thats def not bad from what I hear. How long did it take you to get your TBR books by the way? I sent an overnight mail request to TBR and also ticked the 3 day shipping option so I dont think there was any way to ensure a faster
delivery.

Are any of you working or have any other commitments throughout this whole process?

Are any of you working or have any other commitments throughout this whole process?
Yeah, I have work every weekend. I'll also be doing physician shadowing weekly and occasionally volunteering. You?

didnt touch his quizzes.. Between TBR and the TPR Science workbook I feel I am well covered. Again he covers the basics so I dont think his quizzes would be awesome material like what TBR has but I haven't tried them so I cant really critique them.. I Honestly think doing the TBR passages and the AAMC self assessment is more than enough practice to start jumping into FL's

I agree with him just covering the basics, but I feel in gen chem he actually goes in pretty hard. After watching his gen chem videos I breeze thru TBR gen chem chapters quick. His chem is better than his physics.

Hi All, I am new here as well! The AAMC website is currently down. Can anyone confirm for me what the absolute last test date is for the old MCAT? I was under the impression that any January 2015 test dates would be administering the new MCAT, but after reading through this entire forum, it seems that maybe that is not the case?