The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should prob try and read the chapters in TBR before attempting the questions .. Really hard to jump from kaplen to TBR because there passages are slightly harder ..

I have read them, perhaps I should read them with more scrutiny i'm not sure

Blah! @j9260

I like had to take a mental break day for myself. :/ I feel so ashamed. :(

But I have not taken any break since the beginning, and I should have completely saw this one coming.

I just can't help to feel like I am letting myself and my goal down. :'(

I think I should have taken into account a little more that I will have to have some time to adjust to classes. But I feel like I am making excuses! And med school AdCom's are just going to look at me and laugh. Excuses are not acceptable. I'm just going to have work harder to get back on track and everything.

Sorry for my sap story. I have been on the struggle bus these past 2 days. And I am still trying to regulate my new medication, so it is definitely trial and error. :/

Thanks for asking, @j9620! You tha bestest! :) :-*

Update me on your life!!!! :D!!!!

On another note, does anyone know if a cover letter and personal statement are the same thing??
>Hey PhysicsFailure! Sorry, it's been a while.
How are you feeling now?

I really admire your work ethic and think that's going to take you far, but don't beat yourself up too badly or else you might forever be in the habit of that and never really feel satisfied or happy. I believe that with your determination, you're going to make it! One way or another, your dream is going to be a reality. It's going to happen, so if your body needs a break, if your mind needs rest, let it do that.

You're just sharpening the saw and either the guilt or the renewed energy (or both) along with your determination will propel you to do even better once your break is over! Many pre-meds have stated that their scores went UP after taking 1 day (or even 4 days) break from studying because burn out can sometimes just sneak up on you without you realizing. You should be so proud of how hard you've been working and, trust me, you're going to keep that up even after a short break.

>I'm pretty sure a cover letter and personal statement are too different things. I think a personal statement goes much more in-depth and has a much more persuasive purpose to it. Definitely google that though!

>I had a long break this labor day weekend! It honestly feels like I haven't studied in forever. It's been a juggle between work and spending quality time with friends and my boyfriend, but I'm back to my books now. Ready to take another practice test tomorrow. I'm trying to go to bed early to get well rested, but I'm reading up on Electrochemistry first. Now tell me about you :p (feels like we're having our own private convo in this group thread...lol should we move to this the SDN conversation option?)

TBR is too dense for me.
I am thinking I might do content from EK and do every practice problem I can get my hands on (all EK 1001, TBR passages, PR passages, AAMC FLs, as well as others not mentioned) is anyone else taking this approach or am I going in the wrong direction? :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR is too dense for me.
I am thinking I might do content from EK and do every practice problem I can get my hands on (all EK 1001, TBR passages, PR passages, AAMC FLs, as well as others not mentioned) is anyone else taking this approach or am I going in the wrong direction? :sleep:
I know people who took this approach. Its doable , especially if you have a strong background on the sciences.. I like dense material, I get annoyed when stuff is left out

TBR is too dense for me.

I'm with you, Perry6.

I just cant realistically see myself doing TBR content review on top of my other commitments!

TBR is tough. I have read over all their stuff once and am gonna attempt to do it again here soon! So verbos!

Okay! Took a 3 day break!! Back to the grind today!!!!!!! Just wanted to post...so I would actually begin. Gonna attack verbal and biology!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone wants to have a online study group for Nov 7th MCAT? or maybe if you already have one that can recommend to me :soexcited:

Anyone wants to have a online study group for Nov 7th MCAT? or maybe if you already have one that can recommend to me :soexcited:
I'd be down for that.

Anything take a practice test lately? If so, how'd it go?
I'm about to take AAMC 7 right now and my nerves are crawling all over me.

I heard that some people have a list of formulas that they memorize to write on their scratch paper during the tutorial sections. Any of you been doing that?
I feel like I should be creating one myself.

I'd be down for that.

Anything take a practice test lately? If so, how'd it go?
I'm about to take AAMC 7 right now and my nerves are crawling all over me.

I heard that some people have a list of formulas that they memorize to write on their scratch paper during the tutorial sections. Any of you been doing that?
I feel like I should be creating one myself.
I am thinking maybe a skype group or a facebook group. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR O-Chem is long and gay. That is all.
LOL... I feel your frustration. The O-Chem book I think is ridiculously unnecessary. There's only a handful of pages that are actually helpful.

I feel the most emphasized orgo parts are NMR/IR/Nucleophilic substitution & Addition/Oxygen compounds/Carboxylic acids. Even stereochem to a certain extent is way overemphasized. So, I am actually breaking the TBR orgo books down and study like 1/4 of it. When I am doing practice tests, if orgo warrants further study, then I'll turn back to it.

Also, not to mention the Light and Optics chapter in TBR physics........Was one of the most depressing days of my MCAT study :(

Hi guys, I wanted to take the November 7th MCAT however, when I began to register for this date there no seats available in the NY, NJ area. (I live in NY). The closest site is in Ohio. I seriously need some advice. Should I wait and check the site for an available seat everyday or register for the Jan 2015 exam and then pay a rescheduling fee if a seat becomes available for the November 7th date. Please help me. I will greatly appreciate your advice.

I just finished Carbonyls and alcohols. 45 pages is just too much. O chem was like 1 passage the last time I took the MCAT. I think I may take your approach, to improve sanity.

I did engineering in undergrad so all of the physics portions have been my easy days. Though I haven't gotten to light and optics yet.

Hi guys, I wanted to take the November 7th MCAT however, when I began to register for this date there no seats available in the NY, NJ area. (I live in NY). The closest site is in Ohio. I seriously need some advice. Should I wait and check the site for an available seat everyday or register for the Jan 2015 exam and then pay a rescheduling fee if a seat becomes available for the November 7th date. Please help me. I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Something similar happened to me the first time I took it, I paid for the later test (for piece of mind), but got lucky that a seat opened up around a month before exam time and paid the rescheduling fee (which I was happy to do). People usually start freaking out when the date gets too close and they haven't studied enough (hell, look at the 1000s of threads on here "OH NO I'M ONLY GETTING 35s on my practice tests and want a 46, I think I'm going to reschedule")

I would reserve a seat for Jan 2015 and then religiously check the website to see if Nov 7 opens up. But why not simply plan for the Jan exam - it will relax you so you can study for the MCAT with ease and not worry about whether you have to shorten your schedule to fit in with the Nov 7 date vs Jan 2015 date.

So I caved and got the EK series today... That will be my content review, and I am going to do every practice question and FL I can get my hands on. One month for content review, and first organic test in 6 days. AHHHHHH

Reactions: 1 users
I would reserve a seat for Jan 2015 and then religiously check the website to see if Nov 7 opens up. But why not simply plan for the Jan exam - it will relax you so you can study for the MCAT with ease and not worry about whether you have to shorten your schedule to fit in with the Nov 7 date vs Jan 2015 date.
but i would rather try to find a nov 7th test center if he can. The worst case maybe the score is not as good as he expecting, and he wants to retake it. If he have the Jan exam, he will have to retake the new MCAT; if he have the Nov exam, he can still retake the old MCAT in Jan. I don't know if it makes sense. :S

but i would rather try to find a nov 7th test center if he can. The worst case maybe the score is not as good as he expecting, and he wants to retake it. If he have the Jan exam, he will have to retake the new MCAT; if he have the Nov exam, he can still retake the old MCAT in Jan. I don't know if it makes sense. :S
Oh yeah that is definitely a good point.

LOL... I feel your frustration. The O-Chem book I think is ridiculously unnecessary. There's only a handful of pages that are actually helpful.

I feel the most emphasized orgo parts are NMR/IR/Nucleophilic substitution & Addition/Oxygen compounds/Carboxylic acids. Even stereochem to a certain extent is way overemphasized. So, I am actually breaking the TBR orgo books down and study like 1/4 of it. When I am doing practice tests, if orgo warrants further study, then I'll turn back to it.

That is a great idea! I feel like I wasted way too much valuable brain space on some nit-picky topics. -_-

Was in a similar predicament about a month agoand I live in Florida. I had to register for my test in georgia. Right now I am planning, on doing the same as you but if worst case scenario i will just get a hotel the day before in the area

I just finished Carbonyls and alcohols. 45 pages is just too much. O chem was like 1 passage the last time I took the MCAT. I think I may take your approach, to improve sanity.

I did engineering in undergrad so all of the physics portions have been my easy days. Though I haven't gotten to light and optics yet.

Lend me some of your physics brain... Like please. Haha.

If you take
Also, not to mention the Light and Optics chapter in TBR physics........Was one of the most depressing days of my MCAT study :(
OMG I am doing this ****tt right now!!! Lmao I am not leaving school library till I finish it…what I found helpful is just giving up and memorizing **** such as the deal with focal length (+ for converging) , Do basically always +, and Di is negative for virtual and + for real image. BUTT then there is of course the exceptions with converging lens (ish not always real image dooo, ) diverging lens is nice cause always virtual image. Fackkk me I hate this…but after tonight I am done with TBR gen chem and physics…mhmmm:mad:

If you take

OMG I am doing this ****tt right now!!! Lmao I am not leaving school library till I finish it…what I found helpful is just giving up and memorizing **** such as the deal with focal length (+ for converging) , Do basically always +, and Di is negative for virtual and + for real image. BUTT then there is of course the exceptions with converging lens (ish not always real image dooo, ) diverging lens is nice cause always virtual image. Fackkk me I hate this…but after tonight I am done with TBR gen chem and physics…mhmmm:mad:
loool sorry you have to go through this. I too gave up understanding it and simply memorized the stuff.

+1 :thumbup:

Who all is in the Skype group? What will be the purpose of this? Motivation, set study sessions or just for questions? :)
Mental group therapy as we continue MCAT studying???? Sounds like a nice purpose!

+1 :thumbup:

Who all is in the Skype group? What will be the purpose of this? Motivation, set study sessions or just for questions? :)
I am planning to set up a study section, like we set up a day every other week to talk about the answer of the AAMC practice test. And also maybe motivation and other things that you can think of. I guess if the more people who join it, the better it can be. but now, it is still new :S

I think you should go for Jan 2015 because it's still the old exam. You should set a test date to configure your study schedule, but keep an eye open each day for Nov 7 seat if that's what you're really aiming for.

WOW, the whole state of Pennsylvania is BOOKED on Nov. 7th for MCATs... I was upset a few weeks ago when Philadelphia wasn't available, but good thing I signed up for the next closest one. Looks like we're all fighting for this old MCAT test before all pre-meds get slammed with that 7-hour "nightmare."

The AAMC website said the new 2015 MCAT Exam will be in effect from Spring 2015 and that in January 2015 the MCAT exam will be the same as previous years. I checked before I reserved the JAN 2015 date. Check the site, it is on the home page. Thanks for your help.

The AAMC website said the new 2015 MCAT Exam will be in effect from Spring 2015 and that in January 2015 the MCAT exam will be the same as previous years. I checked before I reserved the JAN 2015 date. Check the site, it is on the home page. Thanks for your help.
Oh, I mean if you need to retake it after Jan.

What topics are you guys primarily focusing on currently?
I just took AAMC 7 a couple days ago (still need to do the review analysis). I know for sure I need to work on Light and Optics. Had a few of those questions on the test and had to totally guess because I completely forgot the concepts and equations. Also, I need to work up more on Electrostatics. Physics is just kicking my butt right now. Surprisingly, I'm understanding Orgo a lot more than I expected. It's my strongest subject of the four sciences...

I'm currently looking at my Kaplan Smart Reports, and it looks like in addition to the above, I need to study up on Atomic Phenomena, the Generalized Eukaryotic Cell, and Reproduction and Development. These are my focus topics until I take my next FL next week.

How are things looking for the rest of you?

What topics are you guys primarily focusing on currently?
I just took AAMC 7 a couple days ago (still need to do the review analysis). I know for sure I need to work on Light and Optics. Had a few of those questions on the test and had to totally guess because I completely forgot the concepts and equations. Also, I need to work up more on Electrostatics. Physics is just kicking my butt right now. Surprisingly, I'm understanding Orgo a lot more than I expected. It's my strongest subject of the four sciences...

I'm currently looking at my Kaplan Smart Reports, and it looks like in addition to the above, I need to study up on Atomic Phenomena, the Generalized Eukaryotic Cell, and Reproduction and Development. These are my focus topics until I take my next FL next week.

How are things looking for the rest of you?
I am on the same boat as you, surprisingly decent at ochem but not so hot in physics. What I really am trying to focus is improving verbal which I think is my weakest point. How many FLs have you taken? I am still in content review lol. I wont be taking FLs till October. When did you start studying ?

I am on the same boat as you, surprisingly decent at ochem but not so hot in physics. What I really am trying to focus is improving verbal which I think is my weakest point. How many FLs have you taken? I am still in content review lol. I wont be taking FLs till October. When did you start studying ?
Hiii, oh gosh, it's so comforting and relieving to hear someone say they're in the same boat as you. High five, brotha! LOL but cheesiness aside... I'll answer your questions :p

I am very untraditional, which I've come to accept. Meaning I have been technically preparing for this exam since 2011 in my sophomore year of college. Things didn't work out: my time management was off and stress from all directions was knocking my motivation and focus off-course. I'm a third-time test taker and decided in the beginning of July that I was completely restarting my MCAT studies to make the most of this gap year I'm taking. For the most part, I am done of general content review and have taken two full lengths since. I scored composite of 20 Kaplan FL #1 (6/9/5 - the computer completely froze during the last 17 minutes of my BS section and unfroze leaving me with only 20 seconds left) and a 23 AAMC #7 (8/7/8).

My goal at this point is just to keep consistently improving, but ultimately, I would be jumping off my chair and roll around in glee if I score 35+ on test day; I would be satisfied for a back pat if I score 30+. haha Anything lower and I would be really nervous for applications because my first two official MCAT scores weren't hot at all.

So, I'm now focusing on finishing up my general content review and progressing into specific studies and practice for topics I'm weak in.

What are you doing to improve verbal? What's your goal score?

Greetings and salutations dear November 7th Lords and Ladies,

If you're considering dropping this date for another and happen to be registered with a testing center in the Maryland/DC (or southern Pennsylvania/northern Virginia/western Delaware) area PLEASE let me know before hand so we can coordinate timing - I would looooove to take your seat. I had a seat for Sept. 12th but had to reschedule, and really wanted this date, but no seats are available anywhere near where I live, so I took a spot for Oct. 21st which is far from ideal, and is also at 8am 2+ hours from where I live in another state.

Ok. I've taken enough of your time. But seriously.... let a bro know.

With all the warmest of SDN kindliness and affection,

-Lumberjack89

Hiii, oh gosh, it's so comforting and relieving to hear someone say they're in the same boat as you. High five, brotha! LOL but cheesiness aside... I'll answer your questions :p

I am very untraditional, which I've come to accept. Meaning I have been technically preparing for this exam since 2011 in my sophomore year of college. Things didn't work out: my time management was off and stress from all directions was knocking my motivation and focus off-course. I'm a third-time test taker and decided in the beginning of July that I was completely restarting my MCAT studies to make the most of this gap year I'm taking. For the most part, I am done of general content review and have taken two full lengths since. I scored composite of 20 Kaplan FL #1 (6/9/5 - the computer completely froze during the last 17 minutes of my BS section and unfroze leaving me with only 20 seconds left) and a 23 AAMC #7 (8/7/8).

My goal at this point is just to keep consistently improving, but ultimately, I would be jumping off my chair and roll around in glee if I score 35+ on test day; I would be satisfied for a back pat if I score 30+. haha Anything lower and I would be really nervous for applications because my first two official MCAT scores weren't hot at all.

So, I'm now focusing on finishing up my general content review and progressing into specific studies and practice for topics I'm weak in.

What are you doing to improve verbal? What's your goal score?

Haha there is an emoji for that!:highfive: But yeah I have not gotten to the optics or electrostatics portion ( which seems to be everyones worst section so I am little intimidated lol) Idk if it is cause I started with translational and circular motion but ever since I passed those chapters I felt physics was more doable. I am thinking about getting chads videos for this month so I can review pass topics and current topics before I head into FLs next month.

Dang computer froze? That sucks but good thing it happened on a practice. Lol I am hoping for a 35+ f0r some glee in my life as well but I really need to get above 30 in order to have a decent shot with my top choice schools. We got two months left!!

My DREAM score would be 10+ on verbal. I scored a 6 on my first verbal test (EK 101 verbal test#1) and scored a 9 on my last test (EK101 verbal test #3) I don't I have actually ever read a book (other than my science textbooks) so I was pretty slow/bad at reading. So I started reading on my own ( I had never seen Game of Thrones so I got the first book, and now I am on the second book. They are really good if you are looking for a book to read) I use EK 101, TPR VW, and TBR (I find BR to be the most difficult). I have tried everything from reading the questions first then passage, to skimming the passage, to reading the first paragraph and then the last paragraph. Recently what has been working is writing a few words after each paragraph which forces me to actively understand. Also I just bought some earplugs so hopefully they will help me increase focus. Anyways, I plan on taking full verbal practices tests until October when I start staking FLs. Sorry for the super duper long explanation lol.

Do you guys think that once we get our scores back from the November 7th exam that we will have the time to register for "ANY" January date? I know seats will be hard to find but im willing to go anywhere to retake if need be.

Do you guys think that once we get our scores back from the November 7th exam that we will have the time to register for "ANY" January date? I know seats will be hard to find but im willing to go anywhere to retake if need be.
I have been wondering that same thing for a while now. From what I read though, all of California and Nevada is full. I am in LA so I guess the pressure is on lol.

Probs not. Those January seats are already locked in many states…come December 7th when you get scores back I doubt it. I am taking 10/25 and and have already come to grips with this is likely my one crack--so hopefully I can get 32+.

I kind of feel behind too because I feel like a lot of people are taking FLs already, but I am definitely still on content review! I am really quite weak in physics though, so that is really taking some time for me.