The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone on here using EK bio for content review/questions? I am getting 70's (16/23) approx scaled score ~9. I haven't done any content review yet, and I am wondering if this is a good place to be, or if I need to go back and try to do content review (we only have 2 months left, I really do not want to do this.)
Thanks everyone! Hope your studying is going well :)

Is anyone on here using EK bio for content review/questions? I am getting 70's (16/23) approx scaled score ~9. I haven't done any content review yet, and I am wondering if this is a good place to be, or if I need to go back and try to do content review (we only have 2 months left, I really do not want to do this.)
Thanks everyone! Hope your studying is going well :)

I am doing EK Bio! I am scoring about 12's.

But, I am a bio major, not far removed from the subjects (still in college). Not sure if this helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
Probs not. Those January seats are already locked in many states…come December 7th when you get scores back I doubt it. I am taking 10/25 and and have already come to grips with this is likely my one crack--so hopefully I can get 32+.

Whaaa? :O I dont think so (probably dont want to believe so) How can AAMC be like yeah seats are filled up, should have signed up earlier sorry, bye.

But I would just sign up for a seat right after taking my November 7th exam to hold a seat, im bound to get a seat anytime anywhere in January!...right guys? (optimism needed)

Whaaa? :O I dont think so (probably dont want to believe so) How can AAMC be like yeah seats are filled up, should have signed up earlier sorry, bye.

But I would just sign up for a seat right after taking my November 7th exam to hold a seat, im bound to get a seat anytime anywhere in January!...right guys? (optimism needed)

What state are you in? I just checked California and Nevada's, and all Jan dates are filled up already.

Anyone studying while doing classes ??? School started this week and its killing me .. Strangely enough alot of my friends are studying for the MCATs using the EK books and I thought of you guys lol

Anyone studying while doing classes ??? School started this week and its killing me .. Strangely enough alot of my friends are studying for the MCATs using the EK books and I thought of you guys lol

I am taking 8 hours in addition to studying!... It has been... An adjustment, for sure... Haha.

Arggg It has been so hard. I think the hardest part of it is when I have to ignore all these girls who are in school because a relationship would be a distraction and when i reach home I am just sooo tired.. I just need to get over with content review and start doing FL

I kind of feel behind too because I feel like a lot of people are taking FLs already, but I am definitely still on content review! I am really quite weak in physics though, so that is really taking some time for me.
Hey PhysicsFailure,
I wouldnt worry too much! You still have plenty of time to focus on FL later. When do u finish ur content review? You definitely dont want to wait too long before u start FLs but I think its ok if u just focus on content review right now. Ur still doing practice problems and practice verbal passages. R u doing any other kinds of practice in the meantime?

No classes, but im juggling part time work and shadowing paperwork. Not my ideal study weeks but u gotta do watchu gotta do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also in the middle of content review (like literally), so I wouldn't stress too much!

For those who are doing EK101, is it me, or does Test 8 suddenly get waaaay easier. I've made high scores on almost all the passages, and I can't tell whether it's because I suddenly became good at verbal, or whether Test 8 is just...easy.

Reactions: 1 users
I kind of feel behind too because I feel like a lot of people are taking FLs already, but I am definitely still on content review! I am really quite weak in physics though, so that is really taking some time for me.

I am still content reviewing hopefully to be done this week or next. Don't feel alone... :) ....ugh anxiety just kicked in.

I have. Passage 1. Got only around 20%... :/ but I immediately did a Kaplan verbal passage and got an 88%. Let's see how everything else goes

I have. Passage 1. Got only around 20%... :/ but I immediately did a Kaplan verbal passage and got an 88%. Let's see how everything else goes
I like it much more than EK so far... I got a 5 on EK and it made me put down all VR material for a week :help:
So as of now I am doing the first half of the practice passages (12ish) un-timed so I can try to understand some of these twisted answers and not fall asleep reading these VERY boring passages.
:)

I got a semi-used book, so passages 1/2 were already completed. So far I got a 4/7 on passage 3, and 2/7 on passage 4.
Freaking philosophy passages :mad::punch::rage:
Time for u to complete the other hald :p haha I know! I had no idea what I was reading in passage 1.... I hope I can do better

Maybe we can all do a running list of our scores for TPRH VR and update it as we go along? It could help if someone is struggling with a certain type of passage.
Passage #
1: N/A
2: N/A
3: 4/7
4: 2/7
5: 3/8
6: 1/6 :cryi:
25: 4/6 - IMPROVEMENT IS GOOD! Time off is helpful for recharging the brain.

Last edited:
Maybe we can all do a running list of our scores for TPRH VR and update it as we go along? It could help if someone is struggling with a certain type of passage.
Passage #
1: N/A
2: N/A
3: 4/7
4: 2/7
5: 3/8
Sure! Let's do that

Has anyone started TPRH Verbal?
I have yeah, I will make a detailed post about my verbal experience so far. VR is the most inconsistent section for practice. There is SO MUCH variability in terms of practice material in EK 101, TPRH, Kaplan VR section tests, etc. that I can't even begin to fully express my outrage at some of the passages and answer explanations provided by these third-party prep companies.

Additionally, don't focus on your individual passage scores atm. Worry about whether you understood the main idea of the passage or not. I will tell you from experience (having taken the MCAT two times last year) that the passages on the exam are relatively straight-forward (with the possible exception of psychology, cognitive psych passages) but the questions are more implicit. The questions really test your understanding of the passage through identification of assumptions, passage logic, making inferences, evaluating author's claims/ideas, and then also applying and incorporating passage info to new info that's not in the immediate scope of the passage claims.

VERY VERY FEW passages in the TPRH, EK 101, and Kaplan reflect the above assessments for VR. This is why this time I did NOT start verbal practice from third-party companies, I instead started from the Official AAMC guide. There are some tips and invaluable suggestions throughout the practice passages they provide (6 total). Then I did AAMC 3 and worked to follow reasoning and logic I learned from questions in Official AAMC guide and applied it to the best of my ability to questions in AAMC 3 and got a 12. Even though I had taken practice AAMC 3 last year (sometime in April 2013), I was now beginning to recognize what kinds of questions, nuances, etc AAMC tests you on.

So moral of the story is to not get discouraged by VR scores. I continue to do 7 passages every day since the beginning of my MCAT prep, alternating between EK 101 exams, TPRH verbal workbook, Kaplan VR section tests. I am sometimes ENRAGED at some of the explanations given in TPR / EK 101 because most of them are so egregiously logically inconsistent with reasoning advocated by AAMC (yes I can give you numerous examples). But I just continue to utilize them for practice.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies!

I have yeah, I will make a detailed post about my verbal experience so far. VR is the most inconsistent section for practice. There is SO MUCH variability in terms of practice material in EK 101, TPRH, Kaplan VR section tests, etc. that I can't even begin to fully express my outrage at some of the passages and answer explanations provided by these third-party prep companies.

Additionally, don't focus on your individual passage scores atm. Worry about whether you understood the main idea of the passage or not. I will tell you from experience (having taken the MCAT two times last year) that the passages on the exam are relatively straight-forward (with the possible exception of psychology, cognitive psych passages) but the questions are more implicit. The questions really test your understanding of the passage through identification of assumptions, passage logic, making inferences, evaluating author's claims/ideas, and then also applying and incorporating passage info to new info that's not in the immediate scope of the passage claims.

VERY VERY FEW passages in the TPRH, EK 101, and Kaplan reflect the above assessments for VR. This is why this time I did NOT start verbal practice from third-party companies, I instead started from the Official AAMC guide. There are some tips and invaluable suggestions throughout the practice passages they provide (6 total). Then I did AAMC 3 and worked to follow reasoning and logic I learned from questions in Official AAMC guide and applied it to the best of my ability to questions in AAMC 3 and got a 12. Even though I had taken practice AAMC 3 last year (sometime in April 2013), I was now beginning to recognize what kinds of questions, nuances, etc AAMC tests you on.

So moral of the story is to not get discouraged by VR scores. I continue to do 7 passages every day since the beginning of my MCAT prep, alternating between EK 101 exams, TPRH verbal workbook, Kaplan VR section tests. I am sometimes ENRAGED at some of the explanations given in TPR / EK 101 because most of them are so egregiously logically inconsistent with reasoning advocated by AAMC (yes I can give you numerous examples). But I just continue to utilize them for practice.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies!
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Reading over some of the explanations just made me think... WTF goes through their minds while they make this exam?? I think I am going to use an old official guide from AAMC to see if I really know more than I think I do about VR.

Pushing to finish Content review this week!!!!!! So I can began ...100% practicing more! Eeekkk! Totally over content review!!!

Has anyone started TPRH Verbal?
Yeah I finished all the practice passages but the last three. Kinda bummed out we only get 4 practices tests so I am saving those for later this month. I really like TPRH Verbal, a little more than EK 101 and wayyyyyy more than TBR.

Hey guys i'm writing it on the same date.
I've done the first 20-ish passages from the TPRH verbal. I like the passages quite a bit.
EK 101 literally drove me crazy. I don't know what it is..but it felt like the wording of their questions and some of the answer explanations were just put in there to **** with you. Anyone else had similar experiences with EK101? may be i'm just verbally challenged.

I am taking 8 hours in addition to studying!... It has been... An adjustment, for sure... Haha.

Taking 9 credits here. I'm finding myself being more organized than ever before. Also had to suspend volunteering and cut back work to just one shift a week. It sucks. But no pain no gain

Hello everyone i haven't posted on here in a while, but i just thought i'd share an update as well.. After about 3 weeks of content review (I still have 2 more weeks of content review) I just took a random full length and got a 21(7/7/7). OBVIOUSLY NOT a score I hope to get, but i'm the type of person to try and look at the positive of every situation. So I'm pretty happy that my score was consistent across the board and I think two months of studying and LOTS of FLs to bring my score up to a 10/9-10/10 is super realistic! I love having this blog to be able to randomly vent to other pre-med-ers because none of my friends are pre-med! :) GOOD LUCK WITH STUDYING EVERYONE!

Reactions: 1 users
The scariest thing so far while studying is thinking I've hit an intellectual ceiling and that no matter how much content review I do, I can't pass a certain score because of my innate intelligence/reasoning skills.

The scariest thing so far while studying is thinking I've hit an intellectual ceiling and that no matter how much content review I do, I can't pass a certain score because of my innate intelligence/reasoning skills.

Nonsense. You're only as good as you are in that given moment. Practice allows you to surpass your current notion of what is attainable.

In other words, don't listen to that voice in your head. It doesn't know any better.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone i haven't posted on here in a while, but i just thought i'd share an update as well.. After about 3 weeks of content review (I still have 2 more weeks of content review) I just took a random full length and got a 21(7/7/7). OBVIOUSLY NOT a score I hope to get, but i'm the type of person to try and look at the positive of every situation. So I'm pretty happy that my score was consistent across the board and I think two months of studying and LOTS of FLs to bring my score up to a 10/9-10/10 is super realistic! I love having this blog to be able to randomly vent to other pre-med-ers because none of my friends are pre-med! :) GOOD LUCK WITH STUDYING EVERYONE!

That's exactly where I was when I started too! 21, but the spread was slightly different, but I am aiming for a 30 as well!

I'm taking my first FL since starting content review this weekend. I will update you on how it goes!

That's exactly where I was when I started too! 21, but the spread was slightly different, but I am aiming for a 30 as well!

I'm taking my first FL since starting content review this weekend. I will update you on how it goes!

Good Luck!! It's definitely going to be a much better score once content review is fully covered.

how is everyone coming along with studying? My scores from TBR physics are fluctuating in the 80-94% range. Need to get them consistently in the 90+% soon otherwise I'll have a breakdown

semi srs

how is everyone coming along with studying? My scores from TBR physics are fluctuating in the 80-94% range. Need to get them consistently in the 90+% soon otherwise I'll have a breakdown

semi srs

Its going alright, not amazing , not terrible.

Do you time yourself too, and if you do for how long?

Do you do all the 3rd passages of the day in 1 timer or just do 1 passage at a time?

Its going alright, not amazing , not terrible.

Do you time yourself too, and if you do for how long?

Do you do all the 3rd passages of the day in 1 timer or just do 1 passage at a time?

sn2ed schedule suggested 6 minutes per passage but I give myself 6:30. And yea I do all the 3rd questions for the day in 1 timed session.

I'm checking out Chad's free videos before I choose to subscribe. Anyone else here for the Nov. date using Chad's videos?

Let me know how you like them! I am thinking about getting them.
I checked out a couple of his free Physics, 1.1 of his free Chem, and 1.1 of his free Bio and so far, I'm liking it. They're the basics, but I seriously learn much better with animation than I do just with books, so I'm buying a 60-days subscription.

He's very clear with his explanations and is so chill that it makes me relatively easy to understand.

I checked out a couple of his free Physics, 1.1 of his free Chem, and 1.1 of his free Bio and so far, I'm liking it. They're the basics, but I seriously learn much better with animation than I do just with books, so I'm buying a 60-days subscription.

He's very clear with his explanations and is so chill that it makes me relatively easy to understand.
Do you think it would be possible to cover all content using those videos? Does he get straight to the point or ramble on for 20 minutes about a problem that should take 5 minutes?

Been lurking this thread for the last month now. Just wanted to announce that I am also taking the MCAT on this date.

Very excited, prep is on point, focusing on passages now and doing content review on areas I feel I need to improve on based on my post-analysis.

Wishing you all the best, looking forward to our steady progress!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think it would be possible to cover all content using those videos? Does he get straight to the point or ramble on for 20 minutes about a problem that should take 5 minutes?
From my research all throughout SDN, Chad doesn't cover all the content you need to know for the MCATs. Some say he has ran through the AAMC topic list to try and focus on topics the AAMC focuses on, so you can trust you will barely (if at all) talk about topics you DON'T need to know about the MCATs, but Chad actually says that you should never use JUST his videos to prep for the MCATs. Consider it supplementary.

Lots of pre-meds (check out the 30+ thread for proof) have used Chad's videos and have gone up in the sciences from 6, 7, 8s to 10s+, but you will most likely never find any pre-med who has only used Chad's videos as their content review to study for the MCATs.

But he definitely doesn't ramble on about a single problem. He does it clearly and concisely from the few videos I have watched so far, especially on Physics. If you're uncertain, do more research about his videos on SDN and check out his free videos. Lots of pre-meds loved his videos and found it exceptionally helpful, but even he will admit that his videos might not be for everyone.

From my research all throughout SDN, Chad doesn't cover all the content you need to know for the MCATs. Some say he has ran through the AAMC topic list to try and focus on topics the AAMC focuses on, so you can trust you will barely (if at all) talk about topics you DON'T need to know about the MCATs, but Chad actually says that you should never use JUST his videos to prep for the MCATs. Consider it supplementary.

Lots of pre-meds (check out the 30+ thread for proof) have used Chad's videos and have gone up in the sciences from 6, 7, 8s to 10s+, but you will most likely never find any pre-med who has only used Chad's videos as their content review to study for the MCATs.

But he definitely doesn't ramble on about a single problem. He does it clearly and concisely from the few videos I have watched so far, especially on Physics. If you're uncertain, do more research about his videos on SDN and check out his free videos. Lots of pre-meds loved his videos and found it exceptionally helpful, but even he will admit that his videos might not be for everyone.
Thanks so much! Your reply was very informative :) I am just looking for a quick way to skim the content, because I feel fairly confident (definitely not 100% though) in my pre-requs. I am thinking that questions, questions, questions is the way I am going to have to go :)

Been lurking this thread for the last month now. Just wanted to announce that I am also taking the MCAT on this date.

Very excited, prep is on point, focusing on passages now and doing content review on areas I feel I need to improve on based on my post-analysis.

Wishing you all the best, looking forward to our steady progress!
Welcome!
:hello: