***The Official NYU Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

It would be $2.50 for the trip since you are allow to transfer from the train to bus. Plus, there is another option, one month unlimited metro ticket for $110.00 (I think).

Nice, so the bus is included in that fare? Thats sick.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!!! Waitlisted Dec 2nd. Just got the call a few minutes ago!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ditto, I think my best bet is to wait to update them with my transcript, but that'll be mid-May =/

Ditto, I think my best bet is to wait to update them with my transcript, but that'll be mid-May =/
You could send your mid term grades in as an attachment in an email! That's what I did...

You could send your mid term grades in as an attachment in an email! That's what I did...

This would probably be a good idea if your grades are solid. They love any and all contact.

This would probably be a good idea if your grades are solid. They love any and all contact.

That's the idea, I just got an A in Oral Immunology which is an NJDS dental school course, hopefully that puts me over the edge!

That's the idea, I just got an A in Oral Immunology which is an NJDS dental school course, hopefully that puts me over the edge!

Shoot an email to Dr. Mejia!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off this is my first post on here, I have been reading this feed for a while to follow how other applicants were doing, and I thank everyone for there info. I am proud to say I was accepted off the wait list on April 8th after interviewing February 18th. Its been uneasy but I look forward to meeting all of those lucky enough to be accepted in August.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone from Canadian school applying?
If so, what is your stats?
(GPA and DAT scores)

I am currently in my second year and just wondering what are my chances are going to be:p
Also, does NYU penalize hard on not having the full course load?
(I had to be a part time student for the 1st semester of my second year.)

Thanks in advance:)
I am from a Canadian school and trust me when I say they really like their well rounded students so its not all about marks.
I did a 5 year double major bachelor of science (Bio sci, Phys sci) and spent the last two years in Kinesiology to try and stay fresh.
GPA~3.3 total although about a 3.6 last two years,
DAT in 2010 was: 21 Chem, 22 Bio, 22 Reading, 26 PAT and 14 Carving (bad quality soap and it fell apart on everybody I wrote with)
Re did DAT in fall 2013 got: 20 Chem, 21 Bio, 24 Reading, 22 PAT, and 29 Carving (much better this time around)
NYU likes extensive shadowing (over 100 hours required) and I had extensive volunteer work on top of everything.
When it comes down to it I believe its really about great references and really selling yourself in in the personal statement. Be yourself and honest and yet really let them know that you have what it takes and then some to be a dentist.

I am from a Canadian school and trust me when I say they really like their well rounded students so its not all about marks.
I did a 5 year double major bachelor of science (Bio sci, Phys sci) and spent the last two years in Kinesiology to try and stay fresh.
GPA~3.3 total although about a 3.6 last two years,
DAT in 2010 was: 21 Chem, 22 Bio, 22 Reading, 26 PAT and 14 Carving (bad quality soap and it fell apart on everybody I wrote with)
Re did DAT in fall 2013 got: 20 Chem, 21 Bio, 24 Reading, 22 PAT, and 29 Carving (much better this time around)
NYU likes extensive shadowing (over 100 hours required) and I had extensive volunteer work on top of everything.
When it comes down to it I believe its really about great references and really selling yourself in in the personal statement. Be yourself and honest and yet really let them know that you have what it takes and then some to be a dentist.

Thanks for your reply.
I have low GPA so I was a bit worried. (2nd year)
(3.43 with upward trend. Last semester was 3.50)
I am currently doing hospital volunteering at Mother and Baby unit, doing lunch music program for senior patients.
Also, I am volunteering at Some evolution lab and will be working as a paid research assistant in other ecology and evolution lab during this summer.
I will he shadowing at my mom's clinic and the other dentist's clinic this summer.
I have been involved with Alzheimer club as a VP Finance and event team committee for the upcoming year.
But this is all the EX that I got..
I am worried that I do not have any special ones.
Do I have a chance if I get high enough DAT score?
(If it is in what range? Cause I am gonna write American DAT next fall.)

Thanks so much in advance:)

Thanks for your reply.
I am currently doing hospital volunteering at Mother and Baby unit, doing lunch music program for senior patients.
Also, I am volunteering at Some evolution lab and will be working as a paid research assistant in other ecology and evolution lab during this summer.
I will he shadowing at my mom's clinic and the other dentist's clinic this summer.
I have been involved with Alzheimer club as a VP Finance and event team committee for the upcoming year.

Your GPA and volunteer seem solid enough for me. I recommend getting the ADEA guide to Dental schools cause it gives you some really helpful info on all schools. It will show you that American Schools care about a lot more than GPA unlike Canadian schools (which is why I applied in the US in the first place). DAT scores are key and if you get a good score you have a great chance. I recommend taking it with sufficient time that you could retake it again and not require an extra year of waiting. In terms of actual scores I don't know want to get hopes up by detailing exact numbers because in the end they take the whole application into account. I have known of multiple students with incredible GPA's and DAT scores who couldn't get in so it really does come down to intangibles. Just show you want it and it will happen. (This may not be the best news, but I applied for 3 years before getting in)

Thanks for your reply.

I'd strongly recommend you focus specifically getting more experience volunteering/working at a dentist office and shadowing a dentist... It's great shadowing medical stuff but they like to see you really get a good feel of dentistry. Because then when they ask you "why dentistry?" you have a solid answer that you know what is like to be in that career and environment... rather than "I have all this medical experience"... Ok so how do you know Dentistry is what you want to do if you primarily focused on medical experience? Good luck!

I'd strongly recommend you focus specifically getting more experience volunteering/working at a dentist office and shadowing a dentist... It's great shadowing medical stuff but they like to see you really get a good feel of dentistry. Because then when they ask you "why dentistry?" you have a solid answer that you know what is like to be in that career and environment... rather than "I have all this medical experience"... Ok so how do you know Dentistry is what you want to do if you primarily focused on medical experience? Good luck!
Thank you so much for your comments! I am trying to find dentist right now to shadow over the summer and during the academic year.
Beforehand, I will start with shadowing my mother just to get a feeling.
BTW how did you get a shadowing position in general?
(I was thinking of going to each dentist's office and give a receptionist my resume and letter to show my interest in shadowing. Does this sound appropriate?)

Thanks again:)

Your GPA and volunteer seem solid enough for me. I recommend getting the ADEA guide to Dental schools cause it gives you some really helpful info on all schools. It will show you that American Schools care about a lot more than GPA unlike Canadian schools (which is why I applied in the US in the first place). DAT scores are key and if you get a good score you have a great chance. I recommend taking it with sufficient time that you could retake it again and not require an extra year of waiting. In terms of actual scores I don't know want to get hopes up by detailing exact numbers because in the end they take the whole application into account. I have known of multiple students with incredible GPA's and DAT scores who couldn't get in so it really does come down to intangibles. Just show you want it and it will happen. (This may not be the best news, but I applied for 3 years before getting in)
Thanks for your encouraging comments and congrats on your acceptance!!
I am planning to study over the summer and take in during academic year once and if my score is terribly bad, I will retake in in next May or June!

Is it safe to assume that the class is full? Do people generally hold two spots at different schools at this point in the cycle?

For those of you who've been accepted in April, were you still given two weeks to send in your deposits or did you have to overnight it?

Thank you so much for your comments! I am trying to find dentist right now to shadow over the summer and during the academic year.
Beforehand, I will start with shadowing my mother just to get a feeling.
BTW how did you get a shadowing position in general?
(I was thinking of going to each dentist's office and give a receptionist my resume and letter to show my interest in shadowing. Does this sound appropriate?)

Thanks again:)
Starting with your own dentist is a start! From there I networked and got to know other dentists in the area. And yes that sounds perfectly fine... Maybe call ahead to see if they'd be willing before you go submit your credentials.

Is it safe to assume that the class is full? Do people generally hold two spots at different schools at this point in the cycle?
I've been thinking the same thing :-(

I was recently accepted but I'm a bit worried about attending. Can anyone give me more insight into the amount of people that drop/ have to repeat a year? I talked to some students during the orientation and was given a mix bag of results. One said 1-3 a year, others said 10+, does anyone know if this is including the international students or not? Any and all insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks

I was recently accepted but I'm a bit worried about attending. Can anyone give me more insight into the amount of people that drop/ have to repeat a year? I talked to some students during the orientation and was given a mix bag of results. One said 1-3 a year, others said 10+, does anyone know if this is including the international students or not? Any and all insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks

When were you accepted, if you don't mind me asking?

As far as your question goes, I only know that you're given the summer after first year to repeat any classes you might've flunked. That's all I know

NYU admins will do their level best to make sure you don't fail or repeat a year. the amount of resources that this school has is vast.

regarding people dropping.we had a few people that dropped, but it was because they realized that dentistry wasn't the profession for them.

now, as far as repeating a year, you have to try really really hard to repeat the whole year. you have to fail 3-4 courses to repeat the year. people do remediate courses, which means that you take the course(s) again over the summer for a 30 day period because you failed the course(s). you pass remediation (which everyone does), then you move on to the next year. you're allowed to fail 3-4 courses per year. so if you study, you should be fine.

Last edited:
I recently had a chance to talk to a current D1 student, and I was told that they had 10 people who dropped out from the program (I am not sure for what reason).

I interviewed February 7th, waitlisted, and am suffering in this waiting game.

I keep reading that it helps to keep calling/e-mailing to show interest but I'm one of those people that gets really nervous about bothering people. I e-mailed about 3 weeks ago and I got a response from Sherry Prabhudial that made it sound like I should just be patient and would be informed when my status changes. For those who used the calling/emailing method, should I just be calling in every couple of weeks to enquire about the waitlist or more often and should it be directly to Dr. Mejia or should I just call the admissions office? Thanks!

I interviewed February 7th, waitlisted, and am suffering in this waiting game.

I keep reading that it helps to keep calling/e-mailing to show interest but I'm one of those people that gets really nervous about bothering people. I e-mailed about 3 weeks ago and I got a response from Sherry Prabhudial that made it sound like I should just be patient and would be informed when my status changes. For those who used the calling/emailing method, should I just be calling in every couple of weeks to enquire about the waitlist or more often and should it be directly to Dr. Mejia or should I just call the admissions office? Thanks!

If you're not talking to Dr. Mejia, your stuff isn't getting through.

Thanks!! I'll send an e-mail to her right away. :)

Let me know if you received a response, I sent an updated transcript a week ago and still nothing from Dr. Mejia, only from the admissions counselor.

Let me know if you received a response, I sent an updated transcript a week ago and still nothing from Dr. Mejia, only from the admissions counselor.

Sure, I'll let you know. I still haven't received a response for my e-mail yet either.

Just called and gave my spot to someone else , it was a tough decision though... Good luck to you all specially to the person who will be enrolled instead of me !!! ;)

Reactions: 4 users
No. Still waiting, but lets keep our hopes up.

Its already almost mid may, I dont have any hopes left lol :( good luck everyone!

I think there will be more movement soon, Spring grades are coming in, and according to the threads from previous years people will get in up until orientation.

So uh, about the academic audit. What kinds of grades are they expecting? I've definitely slipped a bit since getting accepted =/

Withdrew, with PSLF possibly being limited to only $57,000 looks like my plan wasn't going to pan out, Good Luck everyone!

Just submitted my deposit. Will I get more detailed info on what is needed to be done on my part before August?