***The Official NYU Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Just received an interview invite this morning via email. I still have to call to reserve the date.

I received the app complete email on 9/20.

Members don't see this ad.

Just received an interview invite this morning via email. I still have to call to reserve the date.

I received the app complete email on 9/20.

Congratulations, when did you submit application? I want nyu but no interview yet

I got an invite today! I'm 6th batch, OOS, and received the app complete and under review email on 8/16

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, when did you submit application? I want nyu but no interview yet

Isn't app complete update more significant than submit date?

Regardless, submitted 9/16 and as I said before app for review 9/20.

Isn't app complete update more significant than submit date?

Regardless, submitted 9/16 and as I said before app for review 9/20.

God, seems that this year they ignoring my application again !! I was completed 8/09 :( gonna have to call and inquiry on this..I was batch #5
thanks

Hi guys, I actually just graduated from NYU but Dental Hygiene program....and now I decided to continue with my education and go for DDS ( just can't live without NYU , this school is amazing and I love everything about it!!!!!) .......... but when in school I saw that they had their interviews until late,i believe, March...so don't get upset so fast because you still have time and chance to be called for an interview!!! Good luck to all and hope to meet all of you next Fall... :) :) :)

God, seems that this year they ignoring my application again !! I was completed 8/09 :( gonna have to call and inquiry on this..I was batch #5
thanks

Ah, sorry. Idk if it matters, but I'm instate with avg gpa and high dat.

NYU Class of 2014 and 2015, I am taking the NERB December 7, 2013 at NYU and need an ideal class II and class III patient. I will appreciate your help and am willing to pay $50 bucks for each ideal patient you provide and of course will compensate the patient. Please contact me at [email protected] if you can help!!!!

What does the NYU supplemental entail when you go for interview?

will be applying next cycle. I'm fairly worried not only b/c of gpa but the fact that i didn't take biochem, which is required by alot of dental schools. If i get in, I'll just have to take it somewhere to show them I took it but should I let them know? and by what method?

Also, my sgpa is 3.1 and cgpa is 3.2, and dat stats below. Do I have a chance?

will be applying next cycle. I'm fairly worried not only b/c of gpa but the fact that i didn't take biochem, which is required by alot of dental schools. If i get in, I'll just have to take it somewhere to show them I took it but should I let them know? and by what method?

Also, my sgpa is 3.1 and cgpa is 3.2, and dat stats below. Do I have a chance?

iirc most schools just require satisfactory completion of prereqs prior to matriculation. So yes, interview or not, acceptance or not, let them know. Via email, phone call, etc, just get the message across.

Imho, I think you should be more focused on raising the GPA than completing prereqs.

iirc most schools just require satisfactory completion of prereqs prior to matriculation. So yes, interview or not, acceptance or not, let them know. Via email, phone call, etc, just get the message across.

Imho, I think you should be more focused on raising the GPA than completing prereqs.

ty for ur honest opinion as always. much appreciated. Are u saying i might not have a good chance with this gpa? =( I'm trying to raise it this year. im not the best memorizer in high level courses ><

It's simply not a very good school, if you get in anywhere else you should go there instead

PM me if you like for my reasons

I will not be responding to any in-thread replies this is my personal opinion and it is shared by many- sharing my personal opinion and experience

Members don't see this ad :)
It's simply not a very good school, if you get in anywhere else you should go there instead

I will not be responding to any in-thread replies this is my personal opinion and it is shared by many- sharing my personal opinion and experience

I second this. Feel free to PM as well.

Hi!
Nice DAT Scores! How did you study for it and what material did you find most useful?
Congrats on your interview and good luck !!

ty for ur honest opinion as always. much appreciated. Are u saying i might not have a good chance with this gpa? =( I'm trying to raise it this year. im not the best memorizer in high level courses ><

My apologies, upon rereading my response, I felt like I was a little too blunt in my wording ><

It is definitely possible to get accepted to NYU with your GPA, but the competition is getting fiercer every year so you're going to want every advantage that you can get at this point, especially considering that you're applying next year. Continue to take upper lvl science courses and get the best grades possible. Pedal to the metal, it's the last stretch for ya :) GL :luck:

Hey guys,

I got the app complete email 9/3...if I havent heard back yet should I assume that I am not longer being considered ?

People whose app was completed after mine have heard back (congrats to all of you who got interviews!!) ...so is it safe to say I am not going to be getting an interview to NYU?
:(

Hey guys,

I got the app complete email 9/3...if I havent heard back yet should I assume that I am not longer being considered ?

People whose app was completed after mine have heard back (congrats to all of you who got interviews!!) ...so is it safe to say I am not going to be getting an interview to NYU?
I got the app complete email on the 6th of sept and I havent heard back either. Their interviews go on till April so I believe they are just taking time. If you werent being considered they would have sent you an email by now. So don't worry :)

I second this. Feel free to PM as well.

why not just sack up and share with the rest of the class?

between your usernames and relatively paltry post counts, i imagine your precious anonymity won't be compromised.

Insanely high tuition + living expenses, cut-throat curriculum and an overly large student body, including 100+ international students joining in the middle of the program, are the reasons I can think of, but it'd be interesting to hear directly from you guys (presumably NYU dental students?)

Edit: Personally, I think NYU is a fantastic school despite these potential cons

Last edited:
I got the app complete email on the 6th of sept and I havent heard back either. Their interviews go on till April so I believe they are just taking time. If you werent being considered they would have sent you an email by now. So don't worry :)

Thank you so much!! I really hope we all hear something soon and good luck to you!! Thanks for such a nice response...keeps my hopes up! Haha

Insanely high tuition + living expenses, cut-throat curriculum and an overly large student body, including 100+ international students joining in the middle of the program, are the reasons I can think of, but it'd be interesting to hear directly from you guys (presumably NYU dental students?)

Edit: Personally, I think NYU is a fantastic school despite these potential cons
I thought they discontinued their international program. I'm pretty sure that's what they said during the interview. They've already increased their class size to 300+ so adding more during the third year seems impossible.

Hey guys,

I got the complete email 9/3 as well and haven't heard anything. I was hoping for pre-Dec interview eh..

is it true that NYU tends to kick students out?

is it true what they say about NYU,,,? they kick out students,...:smuggrin:

I'm currently a D1 at the school and figured I'd answer a few of these questions to clear up any confusion since someone did the same for me last year when I was applying.

International students?
Starting with my class (2017) they no longer accept advanced placement international students. Before the incoming class size used to be 240 and then they would add 120 AP international students 2nd year for a total of 360.

Thus my class size started out with 360 students since no additional students will be added during D2. Any international students must now apply to the 4 year DDS program.

Kicking out students?
Myth. NYU does not kick out half the class or a third or whatever number is floating around these days. Speaking with the D2's from last year probably about 5 or 6 students had to do remediation over the summer for failing a course. They don't just kick you out. Keep in mind that like anything else dental school is a business and if they kicked out a third of the class they would stand to lose millions so they try to avoid that at all costs.

Debt?
Debt was one of the biggest things that I was worried about coming to dental school. I'm sure many of you are aware that NYU is one of the most expensive dental schools out there. However there are ways to cut down the debt.

I won't go into too much detail as I'm studying but between a scholarship, cutting down living expenses and budgeting I will probably be coming out with around 280K which is even fairly close to that of many state schools.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me :)

Thank you so much!! I really hope we all hear something soon and good luck to you!! Thanks for such a nice response...keeps my hopes up! Haha
No problem :) I understand how u feel because I m in the same boat :) just gotta be positive and patient, good news will come soon !

HELP~!

My school email system where the NYU interview information email was sent is shut down this weekend for maintenance.

Can someone tell me where exactly I am supposed to go? Can I just show up to the College of Dentistry building (1st Ave./E 25th St.) and check in at 8am? Any other important information? My interview is in two days :(

HELP~!

My school email system where the NYU interview information email was sent is shut down this weekend for maintenance.

Can someone tell me where exactly I am supposed to go? Can I just show up to the College of Dentistry building (1st Ave./E 25th St.) and check in at 8am? Any other important information? My interview is in two days :(

Yeah. Just show upat the college of dentistry and the security at the front desk will tell you where to go. There's also a sign. Also show up early, maybe 7:30. Its first come first serve.

Yeah. Just show upat the college of dentistry and the security at the front desk will tell you where to go. There's also a sign. Also show up early, maybe 7:30. Its first come first serve.

great, thank you very much

For those of you concerned about pre-December interviews being gone, I was invited for an interview via e-mail on 10/10 and am interviewing on 10/22. When I called to schedule, they made it seem as though there were many dates to choose from, so keep the hope that more interviews are on their way out!

I have an interview scheduled with NYU but I heard about the rumor that they kick out kids like mad men. so I decided not to attend the interview (since it's gonna be a waste anyway, and an even bigger waste if I do end up getting kicked out after one year = $100k loss.)

SO PEACE OUT NYU HAVE A GOOD NIGHT. ya feel

I think this discussion was finished on another thread. However, NYU is well-known internationally! for medical and dental. I believe it is a great school but the only drawback is cost. But it depends on the person and if they find the school suitable for themselves from different perspectives (i.e. educational, cultural, financial,etc) which is more likely a personal choice. There are definitely sacrifices as well but everyone need to use their judgment to find about this.

So I believe providing "objective reasoning" for pros and cons are more helpful for students here rather than more emotional based.

Best of luck for all here and hope everyone finds their best school choice :)

Glad NYU responded to my email when I asked about status of my application...I am still under review since july and they are still considering me but they are waiting for update of my new grades wow, so much pressure to get good grades this semester!! But there is hope =)

Glad NYU responded to my email when I asked about status of my application...I am still under review since july and they are still considering me but they are waiting for update of my new grades wow, so much pressure to get good grades this semester!! But there is hope =)

They actually told you this? I emailed them last week. App Complete since 8/28 and All I got was your file is still under review, interviews will be scheduled through the spring.

They actually told you this? I emailed them last week. App Complete since 8/28 and All I got was your file is still under review, interviews will be scheduled through the spring.

Yes, seem that someone took her/his time to read my email =) ( 3rd time applicant to nyu) person actually said to email them right away my new grades once received!! That will be end of December through, makes me nervous and hope not to get rejection before that..this is still my #1 school

Yes, seem that someone took her/his time to read my email =) ( 3rd time applicant to nyu) person actually said to email them right away my new grades once received!! That will be end of December through, makes me nervous and hope not to get rejection before that..this is still my #1 school

Are you in nueva york, dentista?

I'm currently a D1 at the school and figured I'd answer a few of these questions to clear up any confusion since someone did the same for me last year when I was applying.

International students?
Starting with my class (2017) they no longer accept advanced placement international students. Before the incoming class size used to be 240 and then they would add 120 AP international students 2nd year for a total of 360.

Thus my class size started out with 360 students since no additional students will be added during D2. Any international students must now apply to the 4 year DDS program.

Kicking out students?
Myth. NYU does not kick out half the class or a third or whatever number is floating around these days. Speaking with the D2's from last year probably about 5 or 6 students had to do remediation over the summer for failing a course. They don't just kick you out. Keep in mind that like anything else dental school is a business and if they kicked out a third of the class they would stand to lose millions so they try to avoid that at all costs.

Debt?
Debt was one of the biggest things that I was worried about coming to dental school. I'm sure many of you are aware that NYU is one of the most expensive dental schools out there. However there are ways to cut down the debt.

I won't go into too much detail as I'm studying but between a scholarship, cutting down living expenses and budgeting I will probably be coming out with around 280K which is even fairly close to that of many state schools.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me :)
I'm also a D1 at NYU and like aspiringdds02 said, THEY DON'T KICK PPL OUT. If you go to the interviews they will tell you how they have a bunch of different systems in place to ensure everyone passes (Ex. remediation in June-July when all other D1's get the month off). BUT you do have to put in the time and work or else you could be one of those ppl that has to go through remediation (p.s. a failing grade here is BELOW a 70%).

Also another point to consider. The current D3's took their Boards Part I this past summer and they got a 100% pass rate! This is unheard of for a school with classes this size! ... So I guess they must be doing something right here if that many ppl pass.

What i'm trying to say is go to your interview and try to be opened minded and ignore any of these ridiculous rumors that ppl have been posting about. It really is an amazing school and i'm happy I chose NYU over my other choices!

I've had my stuff submitted beginning of August. still haven't gotten a rejection. Does that mean there's still a chance?

I've had my stuff submitted beginning of August. still haven't gotten a rejection. Does that mean there's still a chance?

I submitted my application around the middle of July and just received an invite last week. There were quite a few open dates, and I booked mine for the first week of November. I'm pretty certain there are still openings for more pre-dec interviews

For all you CURRENT NYU STUDENTS:

I saw that NYU is only 280K in tuition (excluding health insurance). That is actually not that bad compared to some privates and even some public OOS tuition fees. That was a complete shocker to me, and I'm contemplating whether to apply to NYU or not (even though I'm super late, I have decent stats). I heard what jacks up the cost of NYU is the living expenses.

So my question: Do you guys know of people who commute to NYU from cheap places (like in NJ)? I've heard a 1 hour commute each way isn't that bad and I am willing to make such a commute if it can drastically save on living expenses. Is it feasible to find places an hour away from NYU with reasonable rents? Thanks.

They interview all the way until Spring, I think you're fine.

For all you CURRENT NYU STUDENTS:

I saw that NYU is only 280K in tuition (excluding health insurance). That is actually not that bad compared to some privates and even some public OOS tuition fees. That was a complete shocker to me, and I'm contemplating whether to apply to NYU or not (even though I'm super late, I have decent stats). I heard what jacks up the cost of NYU is the living expenses.

So my question: Do you guys know of people who commute to NYU from cheap places (like in NJ)? I've heard a 1 hour commute each way isn't that bad and I am willing to make such a commute if it can drastically save on living expenses. Is it feasible to find places an hour away from NYU with reasonable rents? Thanks.

People definitely commute to NYU and, as you'd expect, the further you get from manhattan the cheaper the rent generally is. But honestly the difference is not all that great once you take into consideration the cost of commuting; bringing a car can add a lot of other expenses. The parts of Jersey that are close enough to NYC where commuting is an option are just as expensive as other parts of the city, say, Queens. Living in the city will be pricey regardless of where you are, but if you want to save costs, look into neighborhoods in Queens, Brooklyn, or some parts of Harlem. The students who opt to live in Stuy town pay absurd rent for the convenience of being right next to the school. I think it's best to find an option in between commuting from Jersey every day and living smack dab in one of the most expensive areas of Manhattan.

Interview invite today. Scheduling the date tomorrow. Stoked!

People definitely commute to NYU and, as you'd expect, the further you get from manhattan the cheaper the rent generally is. But honestly the difference is not all that great once you take into consideration the cost of commuting; bringing a car can add a lot of other expenses. The parts of Jersey that are close enough to NYC where commuting is an option are just as expensive as other parts of the city, say, Queens. Living in the city will be pricey regardless of where you are, but if you want to save costs, look into neighborhoods in Queens, Brooklyn, or some parts of Harlem. The students who opt to live in Stuy town pay absurd rent for the convenience of being right next to the school. I think it's best to find an option in between commuting from Jersey every day and living smack dab in one of the most expensive areas of Manhattan.
The figure may scare interviewees, but I'm in Stuy Town and it's under 1k each splitting with roommates which is pretty cheap for Manhattan. I feel like my Brooklyn friends are only saving a hundred or so when you take the monthly metrocard into effect.