***The Official NYU Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Guys I spoke with Dr. Mejia a couple of weeks ago. She stated that she is most likely offering seats to students that are out of state/live very far so they can get situated. If anyone in ny/nj is the on the waitlist she said just wait for now. I hope this helps!
I get this about the get situated part, but this pretty much means they are giving away spots to people who are far away and ignoring the close by people, which doesn't make sense to me

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been checking and reading this thread for months now and I can finally say that I have been accepted!!!

Interviewed: End of February
Waitlisted: Early March
Accepted: Early June via phone call @ about 8am

GPA 3.2
DAT: AA 20, TS 20, PAT 19

Words cannot describe how happy I am right now! Also I doubt this means anything, but I am a New York resident.

Goodluck guys, we're all gonna make it!

Reactions: 7 users
I cant seem to find the official Facebook page for the class of 2019 (im assuming there is one) if someone can please link it!

Little piece of advice to everyone: your NYU email is through Google apps so set up your Google # to route to your cellphone so you have some barrier between yourself and your eventual patients and people you meet because like in all places, some seemingly decent people turn out to be scary wackjobs who don't take no for an answer. I just had to block someone today because it got very ugly when I turned down a date invitation from a person who conveniently forgot that I was married. Then I got some angry texts and a voicemail I didn't bother listening to thanks to the Google transcript. I part way feel like messaging a "stop before i get an order of protection" sort of thing but it is quiet and I don't want anymore trouble. I just thought I would warn everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Why wait? There are lots of creeps outside of clinic :chicken:. I ended up filing a police report because the guy was still messaging my google account after I requested that he not contact me in any way shape or form and before I got to block him. Apparently the guy is known by the police to hang around Madison and Union parks and they already had an arrest warrant out on him for making threats of violence against women :eek:.

Why wait? There are lots of creeps outside of clinic :chicken:. I ended up filing a police report because the guy was still messaging my google account after I requested that he not contact me in any way shape or form and before I got to block him. Apparently the guy is known by the police to hang around Madison and Union parks and they already had an arrest warrant out on him for making threats of violence against women :eek:.

Or wait until clinic to get the Google Voice number, and just don't give your number out to random creeps?

Any upperclassmen I can privately message about how the FAFSA Student loans are going to work out when disbursed? I had a few questions but I just wanted to discuss with a D2, D3, or D4 my budget plan. Thanks!

Any upperclassmen I can privately message about how the FAFSA Student loans are going to work out when disbursed? I had a few questions but I just wanted to discuss with a D2, D3, or D4 my budget plan. Thanks!

You can PM me if you want. Can't guarantee I'll get back to you tonight though.

Seemingly decent means I didn't think the person was a creep. I evidently naively believed that the person just wanted to continue what was a pleasant conversation on something I am researching. People who are successfully creepy don't show it immediately. I'm not a mind reader :p.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, seeing that many seats are filling up and a lot of the students filling up the seats are far away.... I think I am going to accept my masters offer and reapply next year. Hopefully my luck changes!

Reactions: 2 users
Incoming D2 here shoot away your questions!!

Or wait until clinic to get the Google Voice number, and just don't give your number out to random creeps?
I agree, I recently setup my Google voice number because they are making business cards for us to give out when we start seeing patients in January as a D2 :soexcited:. NYUCD actually recommended to us to do this, bc after we're done with school we could discontinue the Google voice account to stop receiving calls/texts from old patients.

there is no reason you should be giving out your number to anyone other than your friends/peers throughout D1 --- and i have never seen "creeps around clinic". patients mostly keep to themselves. and they don't let random people walk through the school without appointments.- it is NYC , but we're in a pretty decent area in Manhattan with security in all the buildings, so there is no need to panic. but to each their own opinion i guess.

Incoming D2 here shoot away your questions!!
Any advice to an incoming D1 that you wish you knew prior to starting?

I asked someone earlier in this thread and didn't get a response. The example I used for advice was a friend of mine told me to get a tackle box for all the instruments which makes transporting them much easier. Any other tips and tricks similar to this that a D1 wouldn't think of? Or really, any advice you have to give is much appreciated.

Any advice to an incoming D1 that you wish you knew prior to starting?

I asked someone earlier in this thread and didn't get a response. The example I used for advice was a friend of mine told me to get a tackle box for all the instruments which makes transporting them much easier. Any other tips and tricks similar to this that a D1 wouldn't think of? Or really, any advice you have to give is much appreciated.

Hey!
With regards to the tacklebox, I would wait. NYUCD give you 3 seperate tackleboxes that fit in your locker, and so if you organize your stuff (wax instruments in one, hand pieces in another one, and everything else in the third) you should be fine. But this is the tackle box that everyone raves about - PLANO 1444 Magnum Guide Series Tackle Box ( you can buy it on amazon). I will not fit in your upstairs locker. Personally I didn't get one my first year, but I'm planning of getting it for D2.

Taking about instruments - get washi tape or colored duct tape in 1 color/pattern. and then wrap a strip of it around your EACH and ALL of your instruments . Basically anything that is yours, slab that tape on it. and with the handpieces with the tape write your ID# (which I'm assuming is 19-XXX since you're class of 2019 and they will give you that number during orientation) In bench lab it is pretty easy to lose stuff, and your surrounding people around you might accidentally take it, so if everything that's yours is labeled with bright orange tape, clean up is faster and less likely to lose instruments to your peers. (obviously just make sure you're tape is different than the people around you!)

for notes- I love Microsoft OneNote. PDFs and powerpoints can be uploaded into this digital notebook (available for PC & Mac). i love that it syncs with my tablet/computer so I can take "handwritten notes" on my tablet, or typed notes on my computer. Keeps everything organized, easy to search words from all your lectures, and saves A LOT of paper. and i think Microsoft still has the deal for students that if you buy/get Office365, you get like 1 TB of memory in the cloud for 4 years. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Office-365-University/productID.275549300 worth checking out. but everybody takes notes differently.

Dental Loupes - there will be plenty opportunities to get loupes, so don't feel pressured to get them immediately. once you start drilling, see what you need to improve on and loupes might help you out (especially with the lighting). There are various brands and they usually visit once every 2-3 weeks or so in the cafeteria. try each out, see what works for you. but i would try to get them sometime before practicals start in the spring semester so you can get use to them first.

that's all i can really think for now***you will get plenty of advice during orientation week so no worries!!!*** ;)

So essentially people who live in NJ/NY should wait for movement around July/August?

Im going to try calling Dr. Mejia and getting confirmation about all this stuff going on.

when do we find out what our actual day-to-day schedule is going to be like?

At your orientation. Pretty sure that's when you get your schedule, from what I remember.

I gave up my spot tonight. Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
has anyone been able to contact Dr Mejia directly? every time I call, I get told she is unavailable and they simply take down my name, is that enough contact/show interest?

Thanks

I just got a rejection email.
R u serious? I thought they don't reject if your on the waitlist, they just don't say anything?
I'm in the same position as you, my gpa is lower(3.3) and I have a 17 in bio. 19aa/19ts..

I'm sorry to hear that. I thought they don't send any rejections until classes start in august. this is making me nervous :arghh:

They might be making the waitlist smaller, no idea but I am really sorry to hear Nina. I would definitely call them and ask to make an appointment with Dr. Mejia over the phone to find out why they may have rejected you and what you can possibly do to improve your application.

Thanks guys. I already talked to dr meja. I have a 17 in reading section and she said is because of that, which doesn't make sense because a girl got in with two 17's. I interviewed back in october. I am not worried though because i am still on the waitlist for NOVA.

Thanks guys. I already talked to dr meja. I have a 17 in reading section and she said is because of that, which doesn't make sense because a girl got in with two 17's. I interviewed back in october. I am not worried though because i am still on the waitlist for NOVA.

Are you an international student? They tend to be more stringent with the reading section grade for international students.

I wonder why they would even interview you in the first place if they had a problem with you having a 17 in RC...

This is an oddly specific question and completely unrelated to the actual school, but rather has to do with Waterside plaza.

I just signed my lease and I'm moving in 2 weeks. Can anyone who lives there currently let me know if the ceilings are made out of cement? I was given a projector and want to mount it on the ceiling, but a cement ceiling would be problematic for that.

Maybe @Bifenthrin would know?

Email I received this morning...did anyone else get this? I was told the waitlist would show movement into late July and even early August. As a person a few posts above has indicated, they gave up their seat. Does it just go unfilled? I do not live in the NY/NJ area so I wonder if this was sent out just to those not from there.

Email title: Wait List Closed 2015 Cycle

On behalf of the New York University College of Dentistry Admissions Committee, I would like to thank you for your continued interest in our DDS program over these past few months. We are appreciative that you have taken the time to stay in contact with us and keep us abreast of updates to your application. We feel fortunate to have been able to get to know so many of you on a more personal level.
As such, it is with great regret that I must inform you that we will be unable to offer you a seat in the DDS Class of 2019.
We deeply appreciate your patience with the waitlist process. If you remain interested in attending NYUCD's DDS program, we would welcome your application. Please note that NYUCD Admissions evaluates applications from re-applicants without bias. Decisions on these applications are based solely on the merits of the new application and in comparison to the new applicant pool.
Whatever path you choose to follow, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Please feel free to contact our Admissions office, should you have any questions about applying to the upcoming 2016 cycle.

Yes i did. It is a rejection

I don't get how they would say just a few weeks ago the list moves a lot in July. And if students have their seat held and get off another school (possibly cheaper) and decide to not go to NYU what happens. I would still consider going there (although costs would hold a large weight for me) but I was not expecting a rejection this early.

Yea i have the same feeling. Do you mind sharing your stat?

Yea i have the same feeling. Do you mind sharing your stat?

I am a non-traditional applicant and I didn't do so well when I graduated from college a handful of years ago, I had a 3.0 with two business majors
I recently went back to school and raised my GPA to a 3.3 and had an overall science GPA of 3.4 (closer to a 3.5 with my most recent semester just completed)

20 AA / 19 TS / 18 PAT :( I know the stats aren't eye popping

150 observation hours
5+ years full-time work experience

You?

This is an oddly specific question and completely unrelated to the actual school, but rather has to do with Waterside plaza.

I just signed my lease and I'm moving in 2 weeks. Can anyone who lives there currently let me know if the ceilings are made out of cement? I was given a projector and want to mount it on the ceiling, but a cement ceiling would be problematic for that.

Maybe @Bifenthrin would know?

I'm like 99% sure the ceiling isn't cement lol. You should be fine mounting the projector.

I'm like 99% sure the ceiling isn't cement lol. You should be fine mounting the projector.
Haha, awesome thanks. I pictured a stranger getting up on a chair and knocking on the ceiling for another stranger online and laughed. Don't tell me if you did or didn't because I like my version better

I am a non-traditional applicant and I didn't do so well when I graduated from college a handful of years ago, I had a 3.0 with two business majors
I recently went back to school and raised my GPA to a 3.3 and had an overall science GPA of 3.4 (closer to a 3.5 with my most recent semester just completed)

20 AA / 19 TS / 18 PAT :( I know the stats aren't eye popping

150 observation hours
5+ years full-time work experience

You?
I have a AA of 19 with sc ave of 18 but i had a 17 in RC. My GPA was 3.55 and i have about 1200 hours of volunteering.

It seems as though NYU puts a lot of emphasis on DAT scores, based on what I'm seeing and NYU's average stats in the ADEA School Guide.the Just my two cents.

I have a AA of 19 with sc ave of 18 but i had a 17 in RC. My GPA was 3.55 and i have about 1200 hours of volunteering.

My RC was 23 but I did not have nearly as many volunteer hours as you.

Wow, I am in the New Jersey area and I did not receive that wait-list rejection email. I am getting a bit scared that the rejection might become a stark reality. Sorry to hear about the bad news for all of you. I wish you guys the best in the next cycle, if you choose to apply.

I am also surprised because people with lower stats than I have got in.....

I have a 3.3 GPA
DAT:

Sci: 23
Org: 18
Chem: 19
RC: 18
PAT: 22
QR: 15:shrug: (panicked on this section as you can see lol)

I wonder why they haven't contacted me yet...?

Hi I am looking for a place to live in NY. If there's still anyone looking for a roomate ( I don't mind living with 2,3 other students), please PM me