The Official October 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInASaree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

What are your studying strategies? How are you feeling about the MCAT?

We're all in this together, so let's get this discussion started!

And remember, October 21st, save the date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
my score is up, as guesstimated, physics has destroyed me.

*cracks open a bottle of captain morgan*

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp it looks like I need to start prepping for the 2015 exam! Congrats to everyone who got the score they hoped for!

Reactions: 5 users
So much work. So many hours.

So much failure.

Test Date: 10/21/14
Time: 8:00 am
FL AAMC Average: 31
10 & 11 AAMC Average: 31.5
Immediate Post-Test Expected Score: 28 (9/9/10)
Day-Of Score Release expected Score: Who cares
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 27 (9/9/9)

A full 4 points below my average. Never scored below a 28 on practice exams, and that was my first one. So hurt right now.

So much failure.

A full 4 points below my average. Never scored below a 28 on practice exams, and that was my first one. So hurt right now.

I am just confused by biology. I got a 10, but I have a PhD and I was sure I did better. The ochem of course was hard after not seeing it for 10 years. Maybe that was it. I was hoping for a little higher. :/

So much failure.

Last edited:

So much failure.

This post is *exactly* what just happened to me. I scored WAY worse than any of my practice tests, and a complete FOUR POINTS less than my AAMC average. I never scored below a 31 on any AAMC test.

My AAMC average was 33, actual MCAT score = 29 (8/11/10)

I have literally no idea what to do right now. Ha. It will probably be a week or two before I can think clearly about this. I have never thought more seriously about throwing in the motherf*cking towel on the idea of becoming a physician, hahaa. Wow. I did not see this coming.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This post is *exactly* what just happened to me. I scored WAY worse than any of my practice tests, and a complete FOUR POINTS less than my AAMC average. I never scored below a 31 on any AAMC test.

I have literally no idea what to do right now. Ha. It will probably be a week or two before I can think clearly about this. I have never thought more seriously about throwing in the motherf*cking towel on the idea of becoming a physician, hahaa. Wow. I did not see this coming.

Hey, a 29 is competitive for a lot of M.D. programs. You still have a shot, but I know what you mean with the whole throwing in the towel thing. It just hurts.

I have been following this blog for awhile now but have not posted until today. I got a 9 in verbal (bleh), 10 in bio (bleh), and an 11 in PS (where that came from I am unsure. I was pretty sure I had gotten a 5 in that section. I must be a lucky guesser). This is a 30. Would you guys retake? I told myself I wanted at least a 34, was meh about anything between 30-33, and would retake below 30. This is on the cusp. I mean it is a 72-78 percentile... but I am a little disappointed.

I just do not see myself studying for the new test. I graduated college in 2006 and never took psych. I wish all the best to everyone in their future endeavors.

I feel you. I worked my ass off in undergrad to get a competitive cGPA and sGPA and now this test seems to be an obstacle I can't overcome. It's beyond frustrating.

You could also get into medical school with a 29. I've heard from a couple of people who made 27s that got in!

Well my score is farrrr below my AAMC average. Hello 2015.. Congrats to all of you guys who got what you needed.

Is that what people are really going to do? Just say "to hell with the 2014 MCAT" and start prepping for 2015? I can barely imagine...

Is that what people are really going to do? Just say "to hell with the 2014 MCAT" and start prepping for 2015? I can barely imagine...
The chances of finding a 2014 spot are slim, I'll keep looking but that doesn't seem like my best bet. So yeah, most likely I'll end up taking the 2015 MCAT. Plus, I'm a psychology major and my original thought was that I would take the 2015.

I took the test on this day but voided after computer failure I must confess it was really hard so am not surprised about all the failures I see here.this is just one part of the application so please take it easy. God bless y'all

The chances of finding a 2014 spot are slim, I'll keep looking but that doesn't seem like my best bet. So yeah, most likely I'll end up taking the 2015 MCAT. Plus, I'm a psychology major and my original thought was that I would take the 2015.

Well good on ya - I have no idea what I'm going to do... maybe osteopathic medicine, hahaaaa ooooooooh how the tables have turned.

if anyone is dropping a seat they held for the safe side, please please message me ! i would be forever grateful! thank you!

I took the test on this day but voided after computer failure I must confess it was really hard so am not surprised about all the failures I see here.this is just one part of the application so please take it easy. God bless y'all

I unplugged my monitor....didn't void. Should've.

Is it possible that AMCAS combined october 21 and october 25 testers and weighted us as if we had taken the same exam? Otherwise, am wondering why the oct 25 crowd seem to be overperforming and the oct 21 crowd underperforming so remarkably relative to their AAMC averages, and why we all received our scores together.

Is it possible that AMCAS combined october 21 and october 25 testers and weighted us as if we had taken the same exam? Otherwise, am wondering why the oct 25 crowd seem to be overperforming and the oct 21 crowd underperforming so remarkably relative to their AAMC averages, and why we all received our scores together.

from what i've read here, they don't weigh the exams after administration - the score thresholds are established beforehand...

Well I have a date for dec 6th. I have been studying all month long and taking GS exams. Scoring three 29s on GS 1,2 and 3. I am hoping that this past exam was a fluke. Time to get my ish together and kill that Dec 6th date. Good luck to all of you. I am off to the library

35. PS11,V13,BS11.

Not bad. I'm scheduled for Jan 13th, so I hope to see serious improvement then.

35. PS11,V13,BS11.

Not bad. I'm scheduled for Jan 13th, so I hope to see serious improvement then.

tumblr_m44b1cDoay1r6p48c.gif

Reactions: 18 users
I've been reading this thread for a couple of months now. I really appreciated the jokes and study tips everyone made! I scored a 30 (9PS, 10VR, 11 Bio) on this test. I usually scored 32-33 on the AAMC practice tests so this is a bit lower than I would like, BUT I am not going to retake! I had a spot reserved for December 6th which I will be dropping.

P.S. What the hell was that PS section about

Good Luck All

OOooo child, things are gonna get easier, ooo child things will get brighter. Keep your head up!
2pac knows his ****.

I'm absolutely terrified to see my scores now..

I need to take the january test and would be forever grateful if someone who is about to drop their january seat would message me!

I've been a lurker of this thread for a while, but though it would be fair to finally post how I did...
Coming out of that test, literally thought I was going to get a 27 or under, but I got a 29. Breakdown (P:10, V:9, B:10). Really not sure weather I'm going to retake or not, since my averages have been in the 31-32 range. Anyone have any advice?!

30 PS:10 VR: 8 BIO:12
and I got a 92% in PS in the official self assessment. what a waste of money.

FL AAMC Avg: 28
Predicted: (8/9/12) 29
Actual: 11/8/12 31

I am beyond stoked. Woke up this morning thinking I would get 26-28 and literally started crying when I saw my score. Like everyone else, felt horrible about PS, but it turned out to be not so bad! Thought verbal went better than it actually did but oh well, I'll take a 31 any day! Congrats to everyone who got the score they wanted and for those who didn't, my heart goes out to you. For those of you retaking, I wish you the best. DON'T GIVE UP ON THE DREAM!!!!!!

God bless you guys

Reactions: 4 users
maybe look into everything everyone says about retaking a score like a 35...

I lucked out on verbal. Other than that, my scores aren't special. I only took like 4 FL's, and spent 95% of my prep on content review (I have been out of school for 4 years). I still ran out of time in both the science sections.

I just got home from studying anyway, and this is the first time I've had momentum in years. I want to keep it going for at least another month and a half. If I can take it again, I simply cannot resist. Especially considering how much of a bitch it was to find and reserve a seat for that date. No way I'm stopping now.

Why do you think you scored significantly lower than your average? That's strange to be honest.
Well my boyfriend dumped me 3 weeks before the exam. I stopped eating for a while, got really stressed and on edge about everything. I took the exam, froze and started crying. I thought I composed myself for the other sections but I guess not. I am trying to keep my spirits up. I know I am smart enough to score well, I have been taking gold standard exams and scoring 29s consecutively (which are supposed to be an underestimate). I am just hoping that if I can do well on Dec 6.with a 30+ they will overlook my 22

Well my boyfriend dumped me 3 weeks before the exam. I stopped eating for a while, got really stressed and on edge about everything. I took the exam, froze and started crying. I thought I composed myself for the other sections but I guess not. I am trying to keep my spirits up. I know I am smart enough to score well, I have been taking gold standard exams and scoring 29s consecutively (which are supposed to be an underestimate). I am just hoping that if I can do well on Dec 6.with a 30+ they will overlook my 22

I'm sorry to hear that :( . Hopefully this time around you'll be able to get closer or even better to your average. I'm taking it on Dec 6 as well so goodluck to you!

Hey guys! Didn't do as well as I was expecting and was really sad when I found out my score :(
If any of you guys plan on dropping your January seat (if you are signed up for one), please please let me know! It will definitely mean a lot. Thank you so much!