The Official October 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInASaree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

What are your studying strategies? How are you feeling about the MCAT?

We're all in this together, so let's get this discussion started!

And remember, October 21st, save the date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I will stop being a lurker lol. I am a Nov7 taker but sort of been following both @lumberjack89 & @HCHopeful Both you crack me up and it is nice to see your improvements. Wishing you the best on the 21st!

Ha, looks like both @HCHopeful and I were trying to get November 7th seats - I tried for that date as well, no states nearby had seats, so here I am getting ready to take it on Oct. 21! Thanks for the well-wishing, HCHopeful and I are taking as much of that as we can get :p

@Janus_Kinase what does your verbal timing look like? What happens during your VR section? VR is my only reliable strength (average 12.5ish, scores anywhere from 10 to 15), maybe I can offer some advice. Or maybe not. Or stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep us updated! Maybe I'll go and lurk over on the November 7th thread after I take on the 21st. It will give me something to do while I die of uncontrollable worry.

^ this thread is going to be my support group to avoid psychological breakdown while waiting for test scores. Get ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ this thread is going to be my support group to avoid psychological breakdown while waiting for test scores. Get ready.

There is absolutely no way I'll walk out of there feeling good about myself. If I do, I'll be worried. One of my friends did that and ended up with a 21. So NO THANKS.

I'm fully anticipating at least three breakdowns. A week... Or a day... Probably every hour. Regardless, it's gonna be a fun time. If the definition of fun were something along the lines of not fun that is.

Ha, looks like both @HCHopeful and I were trying to get November 7th seats - I tried for that date as well, no states nearby had seats, so here I am getting ready to take it on Oct. 21! Thanks for the well-wishing, HCHopeful and I are taking as much of that as we can get :p

@Janus_Kinase what does your verbal timing look like? What happens during your VR section? VR is my only reliable strength (average 12.5ish, scores anywhere from 10 to 15), maybe I can offer some advice. Or maybe not. Or stuff.
You doing so well on verbal, what is your secret weapon?

Hahah see what I am talking about. But yeah @HCHopeful I feel like I am okay with content, just gotta learn how to apply it to aamc o_O

Today when I took the VR on aamc4 I noticed I took 11 mins to answer the first passage and it gave me a mini panic attack lol. Okay I sort of developed this routine which helped me with TPRH and especially EK101. I read the first paragraph or two, then read the questions & answer what I can already, then go back to read the passage and actively answer questions as they pop up, and at the end I answer any questions left. So I dont really know where I spend most of my time. It seems I lose track of time when I keep going back and forth when reading and actively answering.

Hahah see what I am talking about. But yeah @HCHopeful I feel like I am okay with content, just gotta learn how to apply it to aamc o_O

Today when I took the VR on aamc4 I noticed I took 11 mins to answer the first passage and it gave me a mini panic attack lol. Okay I sort of developed this routine which helped me with TPRH and especially EK101. I read the first paragraph or two, then read the questions & answer what I can already, then go back to read the passage and actively answer questions as they pop up, and at the end I answer any questions left. So I dont really know where I spend most of my time. It seems I lose track of time when I keep going back and forth when reading and actively answering.
Ayyy that doesn't look like a good strategy bro but if its helping you then goood!

Ayyy that doesn't look like a good strategy bro but if its helping you then goood!
Yeah I am starting to believe I need to change something lol. It helped me before, I think, because EK101 is so detail heavy so it would work out nice. But not with aaamc. I am gonna try just reading the questions once before, or even not at all.

Yeah I am starting to believe I need to change something lol. It helped me before, I think, because EK101 is so detail heavy so it would work out nice. But not with aaamc. I am gonna try just reading the questions once before, or even not at all.
I do read the questions first to get an idea of what the passage is about and note keywords and author's views; all in a minute and it makes the passages easier to read. Never scored a 9 on verbal, scores range from 6-8 so I am in trouble

Ya, I look over the questions trying to get an overview for the passage, also for the detail specific questions; then I just try to read fast and focused to get to the questions. On social sciences and some humanities I can go pretty quick, but there is at least one passage where I take 10+ minutes on it. I'm scoring 9-11 so I think this is my strategy.

For those who are doing well on verbal, how do you guys approach scientific verbal passages? Do your strategy change when doing these passages? A lot of them would have facts etc so do you guys try and get the main idea first or are you guys doing the search and destroy method on these passages?

I will look over the questions, looking for keywords that will direct my reading that way after I read the passage and begin answering the questions if there is a question with detail, I will be able to jump to the sentence that answers it quickly, but that's just me.

For those who are doing well on verbal, how do you guys approach scientific verbal passages? Do your strategy change when doing these passages? A lot of them would have facts etc so do you guys try and get the main idea first or are you guys doing the search and destroy method on these passages?

Truthfully... I don't change anything for any different type of passage.

I think I'm weird, guys.

I don't even care what subject I'm reading. I just glance at the questions first. I don't read them, but I look to see if there are any, "what does this word mean?" types. After that, I read every word and try to retain everything.

I then answer questions by always getting it down to 50/50 and referring back to the passage.

I'm gonna give a little recap on my strategy. First: READ. Second: ANSWER QUESTIONS.

Sincerely, I do think sometimes we MCATers overthink this stuff. So, I like to take the straightforward approach of simply reading the passage and answering the questions.

I've been from 10-12, so obviously I'm not an expert, but it's good enough for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried that strategy before but it seems like it doesnt work all the time, for me at least. For example if I look at the questions first and one of the questions asks a specific question about a topic I initially find on say paragraph 3, then I try to look for the answer in that paragraph but I ultimately can't answer based on the information they give me. But it turns out that paragraph 4 and some of 5 has some information on that specific question so I waste a lot of time trying to answer the question when I was still on paragraph 3. Other times, I think that more information has to be elsewhere in the passage but turns out its only in paragraph 3. Hopefully you understand what I'm talking about haha. My current method is to just read the paragraph and answer the questions while constantly referring back to the passage. Though I might return to this strategy because I've been scoring awfully low on my verbal and scored a bit better when doing the "search and destroy" method.

Btw I was referring to JMMTB's comment

I've tried that strategy before but it seems like it doesnt work all the time, for me at least. For example if I look at the questions first and one of the questions asks a specific question about a topic I initially find on say paragraph 3, then I try to look for the answer in that paragraph but I ultimately can't answer based on the information they give me. But it turns out that paragraph 4 and some of 5 has some information on that specific question so I waste a lot of time trying to answer the question when I was still on paragraph 3. Other times, I think that more information has to be elsewhere in the passage but turns out its only in paragraph 3. Hopefully you understand what I'm talking about haha. My current method is to just read the paragraph and answer the questions while constantly referring back to the passage. Though I might return to this strategy because I've been scoring awfully low on my verbal and scored a bit better when doing the "search and destroy" method.

I totally agree. TPR method teaches you that for inference or specific questions you should read a few lines above or below the reference word or sentence, but like you said on most of the AAMC FL verbal I have done some of the answers are found elsewhere in the passage. However, there are some questions you can't answer by just referring back to a specific place in the passage, instead you just have to understand the main idea.

I will look over the questions, looking for keywords that will direct my reading that way after I read the passage and begin answering the questions if there is a question with detail, I will be able to jump to the sentence that answers it quickly, but that's just me.

Actually, how do you deal with the problem I mentioned above? I would totally like to know haha

Actually, how do you deal with the problem I mentioned above? I would totally like to know haha
Verbal is not my strong section. I just try to understand the passage main point and use that to reduce my answer 50/50, then go to the question reference in the passage to see which of the two answers it supports best. I guess that's not the best approach because it not working well for me.

Haha I totally understand what you are saying and it is so tricky!! Sometimes you spend so much time fixated on that paragraph (because they mention it in the question) that you dont even look a littler further down where the answer clearly is. But then sometimes you look further down but it was really just in that specific paragraph. Its tricky :confused:

This looks like a post that needed some love.

I will have done every AAMC by the time I test on the 21st. I think that's generally what most people [on SDN] do. If you have't started, I would do so immediately. Since you won't be able to take all of them, I would suggest the later tests.

Best of luck!

Thanks for showing my post some love.

I actually have taken AAMC FL's before in July.
AAMC FL 3: BS 10; V 12; PS 10; Total: 32
AAMC FL 7: BS 11; V 10; PS 11; Total: 32
AAMC FL 8: BS 10; V 11; PS 9; Total 30
AAMC FL 9: BS 9; V 9; PS 10; Total: 28
AAMC FL 11: BS 9; V 8; PS 10; Total 27

I was strapped for time, so I took 3 & 7 two days before the exam and 8,9 & 11 the day before the exam. I had just finished content 3 days before (which was necessary because I went on a 4 year hiatus after UG). I thought PS was my strength, but I couldn't ever finish on time. On the actual exam, I ran out of time with 3 passages completely undone for PS so I just voided it. It sucks because I always finish Verbal with like 5m to spare.

Now, I think I have a much better grasp of timing. I think I will spend one more day (tomorrow - Wed) finishing up reviewing the last remnants of content I don't have a full grasp on (immune system, fluids, electromagnetism, lenses) and then dive into FL's on Thursday.

Last edited:

I was strapped for time, so I took 3 & 7 two days before the exam and 8,9 & 11 the day before the exam. I had just finished content 3 days before (which was necessary because I went on a 4 year hiatus after UG). I thought PS was my strength, but I couldn't ever finish on time. On the actual exam, I ran out of time with 3 passages completely undone for PS so I just voided it. It sucks because I always finish Verbal with like 5m to spare.

Now, I think I have a much better grasp of timing. I think I will spend one more day (tomorrow - Wed) finishing up reviewing the last remnants of content I don't have a full grasp on (immune system, fluids, electromagnetism, lenses) and then dive into FL's on Thursday.
Is your exam on the 25th or you taking with us on the 21st?

I wouldn't recommend squeezing in those MCAT's the day before the exam. That isn't beneficial to you or your score. Truthfully, it would wear you down if anything. Start them now, and take your last on on Sunday. Then you can get a day of rest a relax!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

You doing so well on verbal, what is your secret weapon?

My "secrete weapon" is like @HCHopeful in that I almost don't have one, and this advice goes out to you too, @Janus_Kinase :

I've tried a ton of those different strategies, whether it be reading the questions first, making an outline, or mental mapping, or little secret skimming methods, etc. and none of them work AT ALL, in my opinion. They're a huge waste of time.

My approach is simply to read the passage as if it were the most interesting thing in the world, written expressly for me by my best friend. I just absorb it like a story, and I really take my time reading. It would be pretty unusual for me to spend less than 3.5 mins reading the passage, and sometimes I spend as much as 4.5 minutes or more. The benefit of this is that when it comes time to read the questions and answer them, you actually KNOW what you're doing; you've read and understood the passage, and I think you'll be surprised at what your short-term memory is capable of without having to reference the passage again. You can tear through the questions much faster this way, and spend much less time frantically skipping back and forth from the question stem to the passage.

The only time I really skim stuff is when it's very obviously a highly detailed "something" (lists, names, sequences of events, titles of books/works/positions/concepts/whatever). These kinds of things pop up a lot in science-based passages, @camng22 - this is my only significant modification to the straight-ahead "read for 4+ minutes then answer the questions one-by-one" method. These kinds of details are simply impossible to recall on first reading, so don't bother yourself about memorizing or even understanding things like that, just make a mental note "there was a list of things in paragraph 3," or "there was like 4 names of authors near the end," or "at the beginning he mentioned some work of art or something" and move right on by it.

The reason this works for me is that I know I'm not going to remember "In the year 2370, after the second skirmish on the Field of Forgotten Dreams, the gryphon announced he was going to study Neoplatonism in an effort to restore microwave-based culinary options," but I can easily remember "some weird crap about a battle, a gryphon, a philosophy, and food happened near the end of the passage."

So when I see something that I'm not going to remember, I don't even bother reading it - I just remember that it's there somewhere, and if there's a question about it I can snap back to it immediately and find the tid-bit I need without wasting time trying to understand it.

Is your exam on the 25th or you taking with us on the 21st?

21st at 8am. It's going to be difficult, considering that's my normal bedtime.

I wouldn't recommend squeezing in those MCAT's the day before the exam. That isn't beneficial to you or your score. Truthfully, it would wear you down if anything. Start them now, and take your last on on Sunday. Then you can get a day of rest a relax!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

This is what everyone recommends and has been recommending since the dawn of tests. I've never been able to follow this advice myself, unfortunately - or fortunately, who knows. Fundamental law of productivity: as time until test approaches 0, productivity approaches infinity.

Is this the first time for everyone?

hey all,
Im a retaker trying to better my 28 I got in 2012 (applied to 20 schools 0 interviews). just took aamc11 and got 33. yessssssss!! just wondering if i should take the older than 8 aamc exams? i did all the verbals solo for practice already and averaged 8.5 (my scores were higher later but the early low ones messed up the average) Im just wondering if the sciences are worth doing I'm thinking of doing 8 as the final test before the real thing but not sure? btw my scores (order i took the tests):
AAMC 9: 29
Kaplan 1: 33
Kaplan 2: 32
Kaplan 3: 33
AAMC 10: 30
Kaplan 4: 35
Kaplan 5: 32
AAMC 11: 33

hey all,
Im a retaker trying to better my 28 I got in 2012 (applied to 20 schools 0 interviews). just took aamc11 and got 33. yessssssss!! just wondering if i should take the older than 8 aamc exams? i did all the verbals solo for practice already and averaged 8.5 (my scores were higher later but the early low ones messed up the average) Im just wondering if the sciences are worth doing I'm thinking of doing 8 as the final test before the real thing but not sure? btw my scores (order i took the tests):
AAMC 9: 29
Kaplan 1: 33
Kaplan 2: 32
Kaplan 3: 33
AAMC 10: 30
Kaplan 4: 35
Kaplan 5: 32
AAMC 11: 33

Nice AAMC progression.

I'd take at least AAMC #8 and probably #7. AAMC #7 was the one I noticed a shift in style, but that's just me. Also, more tests is never a bad thing if you have the time! Gets you in the right mindset. And it'll give you a better idea of what your average is. Right now, the 33 could be an outlier, or the 30 and 29 could just be the low end, but without more data, who really knows? I started out 28, 34, 29. Then went 30, 32, 31. So obviously the 34 and 28 were somewhat outliers.

If anything, taking two more would give you a better sense of where you stand.

Up to you, though! Good luck!

5.5 DAYS LEFTT!!! GOOD LUCCCKKK :):claps::diebanana:
BETTER KILL EM'...

I can hardly believe it is already here. After studying so long (5+ months) and putting more effort into this test than anything else academic, it almost seems surreal.

Has anyone ever used http://www.mauvila.com/mcat_preparation.htm before? Don't know if it is overkill but I've been going through it to really try and catch my weaknesses. I just don't know what will really be all that effective at this point.

Good luck everyone!

EDIT (10/16/14): Yes it (mauvila) is overkill this late in the game. Practice passages from TBR are better, maybe earlier during content review.

Last edited:
I can hardly believe it is already here. After studying so long (5+ months) and putting more effort into this test than anything else academic, it almost seems surreal.

I'm in the exact same boat - I almost don't know what I'm going to do with myself once it's over. It's not like a semester final or something; this guillotine has been hanging over my head since I was in highschool and found out what it was. I can barely predict what it will feel like to have it finished!

Unrelated, mostly: I'm going to get up and ask everyone at the testing center if they're taking the MCAT before we head in, and if so, if they all want to meet up and go to lunch afterwards to commiserate and share our first post-MCAT victory meal together. Who better to down a celebratory beer and burger with than some fellow MCATers, right? So if you see some generic-looking white guy stand up and ask the group if they want to meet up for drinks afterwards to share stories, laughs, and possibly mental breakdowns, it's me.

Just bought AAMC #11. Last practice MCAT before da real thing. Taking it tomorrow at 8:00 am. I hope you guys are having success shoring things up and scoring where you want on practices!

Reactions: 4 users
Just bought AAMC #11. Last practice MCAT before da real thing. Taking it tomorrow at 8:00 am. I hope you guys are having success shoring things up and scoring where you want on practices!
Good luck, am taking AAMC 11 tomorrow as well

I'm in the exact same boat - I almost don't know what I'm going to do with myself once it's over. It's not like a semester final or something; this guillotine has been hanging over my head since I was in highschool and found out what it was. I can barely predict what it will feel like to have it finished!

Unrelated, mostly: I'm going to get up and ask everyone at the testing center if they're taking the MCAT before we head in, and if so, if they all want to meet up and go to lunch afterwards to commiserate and share our first post-MCAT victory meal together. Who better to down a celebratory beer and burger with than some fellow MCATers, right? So if you see some generic-looking white guy stand up and ask the group if they want to meet up for drinks afterwards to share stories, laughs, and possibly mental breakdowns, it's me.
Lol you are so sweet little boy. After my exam I am going to stand in the street and scream for good 5 mins i don't care what people think. I will just scream loud and dance!

Don't trust your gut, he just wants food. :D

Trust your intuition - if you've learned anything from AAMC5 it would be that. Be confident in your MCAT acumen. This will haunt you in Verbal.
Where are you my lovely woman? You vanished just like that lol. Come back here girl

Good luck @BigEinstein and @HCHopeful ! I'm taking AAMC #11 tomorrow as well, so we'll all be in it together.

Have you all driven to your testing centers yet? I have yet to do that, but I want to - I might do it the day before the test, Monday, but I was thinking about maybe doing it tomorrow. I want to make the drive during a weekday morning at the same time I will have to on Tuesday so I can get a feel for the traffic and everything, and tomorrow and Monday are the only regular weekdays left.

Side note - I'm starting to get so keyed up for test day that it's getting hard to focus on studying. I was supposed to be doing extra passages and reviewing formulas today, but I can barely get myself to focus on anything but AAMC #11 tomorrow and the test on Tuesday!

Good luck @BigEinstein and @HCHopeful ! I'm taking AAMC #11 tomorrow as well, so we'll all be in it together.

Have you all driven to your testing centers yet? I have yet to do that, but I want to - I might do it the day before the test, Monday, but I was thinking about maybe doing it tomorrow. I want to make the drive during a weekday morning at the same time I will have to on Tuesday so I can get a feel for the traffic and everything, and tomorrow and Monday are the only regular weekdays left.

Side note - I'm starting to get so keyed up for test day that it's getting hard to focus on studying. I was supposed to be doing extra passages and reviewing formulas today, but I can barely get myself to focus on anything but AAMC #11 tomorrow and the test on Tuesday!

Ahh good luck to the both of you as well!

I have not driven to my testing center, but I probably will on Saturday. I live in Small Town, USA, so traffic isn't that big of a deal. Having said that, I'll probably leave 15 minutes earlier than however long it takes to get there just to be sure!

I am having trouble studying as well, but mine was more due to stress about a Med A&P mid-term. Now I am free to (hopefully) put all of my effort into the MCAT. I am just doing passages out of the Official Guide from AAMC and reading over my notes. Hopefully the lack of passages doesn't hurt me.

Would you recommend I still hit the passages hard over the weekend? Or just keep reviewing material?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished GS 9-PS. Wow, I skipped half of passage 3 because I was like, hmm, lots of math that involve nasty logs. Oh, I hope my apathy isn't going to kill me test day.

You should defiantly be familiar with the place your taking the test especially since they changed some buildings to accodmoate people. For instance I was moved to a whole mother building due to the original test center having a water leak. what are you going to do,b ut best be sure the room has a locker or at least good parking :)

Just finished GS 9-PS. Wow, I skipped half of passage 3 because I was like, hmm, lots of math that involve nasty logs. Oh, I hope my apathy isn't going to kill me test day.

Hahahahaha this almost happened to me on AAMC 10. It was the third day straight of taking practice tests, and I got done with the PS section knowing I didn't do as well as I wanted. I nearly hit "end test" at that moment before doing the verbal just because I was so mad. Just had to tell myself I wouldn't have that option on exam day. Ended up with a 10 in the PS, which is below my average :( I did end up with a 31, though, so I really can't complain.

I think I am one of those few people who would be fine with a 29. I have a 3.89 cGPA with a 3.95 sGPA and my in-state school is UNMC, so very home state oriented. Having said that, my ego wants at least a 32.

I then followed it up with a horrible physics lab - Complex numbers and Euler's formula. Learning more and more that I am very satisfied with MCAT level physics, and I really enjoy (or is it enjoyed) physics.

Hello hello! I turned into a lurker for a moment there hahaha. I hope you all are doing well and keeping your cool. We are almost there!

Just finished AAMC #11. Scored a 32 (11/11/10).

If I had to guess coming out of it what I was going to get, I'd have said a 25. Dear God waiting for November 25th is going to be hard!

I hope everyone taking AAMC #11 this morning absolutely killed it and feels confident!

Reactions: 2 users

If I had to guess coming out of it what I was going to get, I'd have said a 25. Dear God waiting for November 25th is going to be hard!

I hope everyone taking AAMC #11 this morning absolutely killed it and feels confident!
That is a really good score. Congrats and am about to take mine

I choked, actually - 31 (10/11/10) which is a fine score in the grand scheme of things, but is literally the exact same number I got on my *first* AAMC nearly 3 months ago. This was pretty disheartening, not gunna lie.

I didn't sleep well last night, and woke up in one of those hazy "my brain is not going to wake up until 3pm even though my body is moving around, talking, doing work, etc." situations, so maybe that had something to do with it. Whatever - at this point I'm not rescheduling. If 5 months of full time studying hasn't gotten me ready nothing will.

Anyways, headed to the gym to try to break out of this funk, hittin' Chipotle afterwards for some comfort food, and then I'll be back to studying and/or crying, whichever comes first.

j/k on the crying, but good Lord, 3 extra months of studying and my scores are still about as predictable as the weather. Gah.

Reactions: 2 users
I choked, actually - 31 (10/11/10) which is a fine score in the grand scheme of things, but is literally the exact same number I got on my *first* AAMC nearly 3 months ago. This was pretty disheartening, not gunna lie.

I didn't sleep well last night, and woke up in one of those hazy "my brain is not going to wake up until 3pm even though my body is moving around, talking, doing work, etc." situations, so maybe that had something to do with it. Whatever - at this point I'm not rescheduling. If 5 months of full time studying hasn't gotten me ready nothing will.

Anyways, headed to the gym to try to break out of this funk, hittin' Chipotle afterwards for some comfort food, and then I'll be back to studying and/or crying, whichever comes first.

j/k on the crying, but good Lord, 3 extra months of studying and my scores are still about as predictable as the weather. Gah.

Just throw this one out of the window and kick the crap out of the one on Tuesday. You were just getting the bad one out of the way!

I'm actually trying to figure out what I should do until Tuesday. Gahh. I hate waiting.

Nice I am excited for both of ya! @HCHopeful & @lumberjack89 find the perfect combination of relaxation/studying this weekend!

As for me...not so much :/ I took aamc 5 today and felt good coming out (better than 3 and 4) and scored two points below my previous scores. 27 (8/8/11) which is what is discouraging.

This time I tried reading the verbal passage first, like it was the most interesting thing ever and it worked --I definitely understood more and the scores show it in the beginning . But once again, timing kicked my butt. I missed 10 Qs in last 2-3 passages. I just dont have time. PS made many stupid mistakes but w/e.

Do you guys think I should reschedule? I know hchopeful your scores sort of varied but idk if same applies for me. I am looking for seats but none are open lol.

Nice I am excited for both of ya! @HCHopeful & @lumberjack89 find the perfect combination of relaxation/studying this weekend!

As for me...not so much :/ I took aamc 5 today and felt good coming out (better than 3 and 4) and scored two points below my previous scores. 27 (8/8/11) which is what is discouraging.

This time I tried reading the verbal passage first, like it was the most interesting thing ever and it worked --I definitely understood more and the scores show it in the beginning . But once again, timing kicked my butt. I missed 10 Qs in last 2-3 passages. I just dont have time. PS made many stupid mistakes but w/e.

Do you guys think I should reschedule? I know hchopeful your scores sort of varied but idk if same applies for me. I am looking for seats but none are open lol.

I was in that exact same situation. I had scored a 28 on AAMC #7 and a 34 on AAMC #4, rescheduled for October 21st, and then I had some doubts. I decided I would take AAMC #9 and that would be the deciding factor. I scored a 29.

I was very torn, because I've always had a set goal of 30. Seeing I could score a 34 was encouraging, but I didn't know if it was the exception to the rule. However, my choice was made up for me. I actually pushed the "Find Seat" button on January 13th, and it came up with "No Seats Available." I was stuck with October 21st.

Honestly, it was the best thing to ever happen to me. I stopped worrying about getting good scores just to decide when I needed to take it. I still thoroughly believe I would have scored much better on AAMC #9 had I not been pinning so much on it. Since then, my scores have been consistent. I don't know if you're putting pressure on yourself during your exams because you are trying to decide when to take it, but all it does is hurt you.

I realize no two situations are the same, and you ultimately have to make the decision for yourself (if any seats become available). Whichever decision you make is going to be the best one. My cousin told me this the night I had the decision made for me, and it really helped my psyche. Whatever happens, you'll make the best out of the situation.

If you feel it is best to try to find a spot later, then keep looking and snatch it up if it comes.

Regardless, I think the best thing is to just do what you feel will make you most comfortable. In the end, making the decision is such a huge weight lifted. It's almost half the battle.

@Janus_Kinase I tend to agree with @HCHopeful in the sense that the best decision you could make is the one you want to, the one you're confident in, the one with which you can be at peace. I had a low score just days before the Sept. 12th date which I was registered for, and even though I *now* know I probably would have scored the same then as now if I wasn't so freaked out by that low score, at the time the score made me nervous, unsure of myself, and mentally not prepared to take the test, which means I probably would have done worse.

Now that I know I've really plateaued at this level, particularly with my lower-than-typical score today, I feel much more relaxed and peaceful knowing "it's just going to be whatever it will be," coming to grips with the variability of all our scores, the unpredictability of what will be on the test that particular day, how widely the material can differ from test to test.... now I'm settled, then I was scared.

However, I can also tell you that the extra 6 weeks of studying didn't do anything for my scores. The only thing that's really changed is my sense of confidence, which to me is worth it. Do what you've gotta do - if you think you can rally mentally for Tuesday, and that more study time won't help, it might be worth it to reschedule. However, if you're jittery and nervous (more than should be expected) and you find yourself thinking you'd profit from more study time, consider rescheduling.

Yeah thanks guys. For now, like @HCHopeful I have no option lol. So I am just gonna keep going. I may have psyched myself out a little but its all part of the process. Gotta bounce back and reach that peaceful knowing @lumberjack89 haha. That is a definitely a good thing to have before test day.

Woo but I am pumped for you guys!! Lol :) and everyone else here!

Okay
After getting 27 on my last Kaplan FL, I took AAMCs and got raped. Kaplan is a fluke guys
AAMC 7: 8, 5, 9 = 22
AAMC 8: 9, 6, 8 = 23
Stopped and decided to work on Kaplan section whole of last week
AAMC 9: 11, 6, 8 = 25 TODAY
Anyone with a guy who want to shoot me dead? FML!
Good luck with all those doing well smh
UPDATE
Took AAMC 11 today: 26 ( 10, 6, 10 )
Verbal just kills me, I wish I grew up in the U.S oh Lord!
Venting on AAMC 10 tomorrow

Scores thus far
Kaplan Diagnostic : 16
Kaplan 1: 9,5,5 = 19
Kaplan 2: 8,8,7 = 23
Kaplan 3: 9,8,8 = 25
Kaplan 7: 9,6,12 = 27
Kaplan 5: 9,7,8 = 24
Moved on to AAMC's
AAMC 7: 8,5,9 = 22
AAMC 8: 9,6,8 = 23