The Official October 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInASaree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

What are your studying strategies? How are you feeling about the MCAT?

We're all in this together, so let's get this discussion started!

And remember, October 21st, save the date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@BigEinstein There are a few positives! Your scores have been progressively increasing, which is no small feat. It appears as if your section scores fluctuate a bit compared to verbal. It could be content weakness or maybe a difference in the types of questions being asked.

I don't know if there is any advice left for verbal, unfortunately. Just get through AAMC 10 tomorrow and refocus. At this point, all you can hope for is your absolute best on test day.

Yeah @HCHopeful has got it, I think - all there is left or us to do is review notes, get good sleep, try to relax, and hope for the best! Currently reviewing my mistakes on AAMC#11, hope everyone is staying positive!

Hey @lumberjack89 what circular motion equations are you planning on memorizing? From the last two AAMC's, I think it would be wise to at least know the velocity and angular velocity equations. Obviously centripetal acceleration as well. Any others you think are good ones to know? Filling out some last moment memorization flash cards!

Members don't see this ad :)
@BigEinstein There are a few positives! Your scores have been progressively increasing, which is no small feat. It appears as if your section scores fluctuate a bit compared to verbal. It could be content weakness or maybe a difference in the types of questions being asked.

I don't know if there is any advice left for verbal, unfortunately. Just get through AAMC 10 tomorrow and refocus. At this point, all you can hope for is your absolute best on test day.
Thank you sir. Appreciate

Hey @lumberjack89 what circular motion equations are you planning on memorizing? From the last two AAMC's, I think it would be wise to at least know the velocity and angular velocity equations. Obviously centripetal acceleration as well. Any others you think are good ones to know? Filling out some last moment memorization flash cards!

Hahaa, I haven't memorized them yet so I'm not sure! There's a couple I have in mind off the top of my head, but I'm not sure which one's I'll stick with as far as all the options go. I have them on flashcards at home, I'll post them when I'm back there.

Hahaa, I haven't memorized them yet so I'm not sure! There's a couple I have in mind off the top of my head, but I'm not sure which one's I'll stick with as far as all the options go. I have them on flashcards at home, I'll post them when I'm back there.

Great thanks! I haven't memorized any equations at all, but for circular I'm going to have to. Generally I just rely on my knowledge of the relationships in a certain topic, but circular motion is just... hah, not my strong suit to say the least.

I appreciate it!

Just finished AAMC 8 - I totally thought I bombed it, especially verbal. But it was my best test score yet. Won't mind that for test day.

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished AAMC 8 - I totally thought I bombed it, especially verbal. But it was my best test score yet. Won't mind that for test day.

Me too! Passage 1 was a Killer for me, so I ended up guessing on the entire thing. Guess my other passages made up for it! Bio on AAMC 8 wasn't too hot for me though..

Whoa can you guys believe I just realize my test is 8 a.m? All this time I was thinking 2 pm and took all my practise tests at 2 p.m. How stupid I am smh :beat::boom::diebanana:

This is what I've been doing all day: Sort of looking through Mehc's MCAT Madness on Anki and watching college football. It's pretty relaxing, but it's still weird knowing anything I do now really doesn't matter either way. I think I'm actually going to put in a solid 5 hour day tomorrow. I don't like this relaxing stuff.

By the way everyone, t-minus 2 days 14 hours and 15 minutes 'til go time.

Edit: Time above is for my timezone!

This is what I've been doing all day: Sort of looking through Mehc's MCAT Madness on Anki and watching college football. It's pretty relaxing, but it's still weird knowing anything I do now really doesn't matter either way. I think I'm actually going to put in a solid 5 hour day tomorrow. I don't like this relaxing stuff.

By the way everyone, t-minus 2 days 14 hours and 15 minutes 'til go time.

Edit: Time above is for my timezone!
Ya I realize now it is just a matter of seeing everything a couple last times so that, come test day, my brain will recall it faster and it won't seem so foreign. I've been finding that with AAMC 8-11 the PS is simple concepts tweaked just enough to try and trip us up. If we can see what the relation is it will be a lot easier.

ugh.. feeling stressed. I REALLY just need to increase my score by 1-2 points to be where I need to be... So close... But I still believe I can do it!

This is my second time taking the test, and taking days off doesn't really work too well for me. Its actually nice being able to only focus on the MCAT for a few days- since I got ahead on my coursework for the next week.

Anyone have any tips for nudging yourself up only 1-2 points?

T-2 days..

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh.. feeling stressed. I REALLY just need to increase my score by 1-2 points to be where I need to be... So close... But I still believe I can do it!

This is my second time taking the test, and taking days off doesn't really work too well for me. Its actually nice being able to only focus on the MCAT for a few days- since I got ahead on my coursework for the next week.

Anyone have any tips for nudging yourself up only 1-2 points?

T-2 days..
At this point, it all boils down to confidence and luck I guess

Reactions: 2 users
Whoa can you guys believe I just realize my test is 8 a.m? All this time I was thinking 2 pm and took all my practise tests at 2 p.m. How stupid I am smh :beat::boom::diebanana:
Lol, our test is at 8AM and that is my usual bedtime. I usually wake up at around 3pm. I haven't been taking practie exams either (besides the ones in July). I always seem to be a couple of days behind my stated routine (as stated here). Ideally, I'll do two FL's tom and then two on Monday, take the test at 8am and then come home and sleep.

Highly unadvised, but whatever.

Doctorinasari, haven't heard from you in a while you seemed to be on top of everything. How is it going?

Lol, our test is at 8AM and that is my usual bedtime. I usually wake up at around 3pm. I haven't been taking practie exams either (besides the ones in July). I always seem to be a couple of days behind my stated routine (as stated here). Ideally, I'll do two FL's tom and then two on Monday, take the test at 8am and then come home and sleep.

Highly unadvised, but whatever.

Doctorinasari, haven't heard from you in a while you seemed to be on top of everything. How is it going?
Woah take it easy on this test lol. 2 on Monday? Just relax and do nothing MCAT related and I bet you that it will pay off.

Woah take it easy on this test lol. 2 on Monday? Just relax and do nothing MCAT related and I bet you that it will pay off.

Ha, I appreciate the universal advice but that never jived well with me. I never get a full night's rest or take it easy the day before an exam. Last time I did 3 FL's the night before, and 2 FL's two nights before that. Personally, I don't believe in taking breaks. If I take a break, I stop studying for like 2 weeks. I know it's recommended to study ~3mo. for this exam, but I know myself and I know that I won't begin until a few weeks before the exam date but it also means I study pretty much every waking hour for those few weeks. It's crazy but just my psychological idiosyncrasies.

How much of magnetism is on this exam? AC circuits? Solenoids?

Ha, I appreciate the universal advice but that never jived well with me. I never get a full night's rest or take it easy the day before an exam. Last time I did 3 FL's the night before, and 2 FL's two nights before that. Personally, I don't believe in taking breaks. If I take a break, I stop studying for like 2 weeks. I know it's recommended to study ~3mo. for this exam, but I know myself and I know that I won't begin until a few weeks before the exam date but it also means I study pretty much every waking hour for those few weeks. It's crazy but just my psychological idiosyncrasies.

How much of magnetism is on this exam? AC circuits? Solenoids?
Haha no one knows. Just be ready for every topic without having glaring weakness. I personally hate magnetism, Electrochemistry and titrations

hello guys! How's everyone doing? I'm currently reviewing my notes and flashcards. But sometimes I get this feeling that all this studying is enough :( do any of you feel the same way like when you read you're notes you go "crap i totally forgot about this!! "

Just took the drive to my testing center. Currently sitting down to do all of the passages in the Official Guide to the MCAT from AAMC and then going to read over all of my notes. Might take a look through all of my old MCAT's just to check if there's anything I'm still a bit fuzzy on.

Less than 2 days! Wow, this has come quickly. Hopefully it's the last time we all have to worry about this beast.

Take care, everybody.

Okay

UPDATE
Took AAMC 11 today: 26 ( 10, 6, 10 )
Verbal just kills me, I wish I grew up in the U.S oh Lord!
Venting on AAMC 10 tomorrow

Einstein-
I do believe that someone mentioned this method before, but I'm going to second it because it has helped me. During all of my practice tests, I have only focused on completing 6 passages and guessing blindly on one. I know this sounds crazy, but it give you about 10minutes/ passage which is great. I've tried several other methods, even the one dear Doctorinasari perscribed and they all caused my score to drop. In that I will be executing the 6 passage/guess on 1 on test day. This method has kept me at solid 9s on my practice exams. Sadly, I haven't been able to break a 10. I wish you the best! Perhaps you can give this method a go today?

Finished the Physical Sciences portion of the Official Guide. Came out of them with decent scores.

General Chemistry: 23/28
Physics: 24/28

Considering these are more recent questions from exams, I'm glad to see I'm staying around where my average was during AAMC 4-5;7-11. I was a bit worried they would trip me up, but they seem to just be more convoluted. As long as you can see what they're asking for, it's really not too bad.

Edit: Just finished the Biological Part. Didn't do as well, but my BS scores are generally lower anyway, so it makes sense.

Biology: 32/41
Organic: 11/19

Almost every biology question I missed was because I missed something in the passage. Gah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Einstein-
I do believe that someone mentioned this method before, but I'm going to second it because it has helped me. During all of my practice tests, I have only focused on completing 6 passages and guessing blindly on one. I know this sounds crazy, but it give you about 10minutes/ passage which is great. I've tried several other methods, even the one dear Doctorinasari perscribed and they all caused my score to drop. In that I will be executing the 6 passage/guess on 1 on test day. This method has kept me at solid 9s on my practice exams. Sadly, I haven't been able to break a 10. I wish you the best! Perhaps you can give this method a go today?
You know I was actually thinking about this. Wow that is so true. I am going to work on that. I easily get the questions when I understand the passage. Thank you :highfive:

Hey, guys! This is my retake ... I took an August MCAT this year and didn't do as well as I wanted, so I'm retaking it now. I did well on PS and BS, but my VR dropped 4 points below what I was normally getting on AAMC exams. Anybody have any insight on this? Do they administer different passages on each test date?

Hey, guys! This is my retake ... I took an August MCAT this year and didn't do as well as I wanted, so I'm retaking it now. I did well on PS and BS, but my VR dropped 4 points below what I was normally getting on AAMC exams. Anybody have any insight on this? Do they administer different passages on each test date?

I have no clue! It must have been a bizarre occurrence. Did you find the passages extremely boring or convoluted? That may have played a role.

Whew! Out of the scene for a bit. Not gunna lie, I haven't done any hard-core studying for the past few days - I can barely get myself to believe anything we do at this point is going to effect our scores much. I've basically just been reading notes and lookng through old tests, no hard passage work or anything.

Anyways, still just reviewing notes and formulas at this point, and that's all I'm going to be doing tomorrow. Who knows, maybe I'll do nothing tomorrow? @HCHopeful it's funny, I could have sworn I made some flashcards with angular/circular velocity/acceleration equations, but the only ones E.K. says you "have" to memorize are the centripetal force = (mv^2)/r and the associated acceleration equation. Not sure if that's worth trusting or not.

Strangely, I looked through ALL my notes from actual full lengths (and I would always note when I used a particular formula so as to know what to expect on test day) and never once saw this kind of stuff, which is what I think you're referring to: ω = v/r = 2(pi)f

I don't know what to make of that. I mean it couldn't hurt to memorize that one I typed out above, but I don't have any notes of ever having actually used it, which makes me wonder if it was simply supplied in whatever passages it was applicable? Don't know what to tell ya!

Einstein-
Okay so I tried this today and had a 9. Like a freaking 9!!! Highest I ever got on AAMC was a 6 and 8 on Kaplan. Thank you and am going to practice more with this :soexcited::highfive:

Whew! Out of the scene for a bit. Not gunna lie, I haven't done any hard-core studying for the past few days - I can barely get myself to believe anything we do at this point is going to effect our scores much. I've basically just been reading notes and lookng through old tests, no hard passage work or anything.

Anyways, still just reviewing notes and formulas at this point, and that's all I'm going to be doing tomorrow. Who knows, maybe I'll do nothing tomorrow? @HCHopeful it's funny, I could have sworn I made some flashcards with angular/circular velocity/acceleration equations, but the only ones E.K. says you "have" to memorize are the centripetal force = (mv^2)/r and the associated acceleration equation. Not sure if that's worth trusting or not.

Strangely, I looked through ALL my notes from actual full lengths (and I would always note when I used a particular formula so as to know what to expect on test day) and never once saw this kind of stuff, which is what I think you're referring to: ω = v/r = 2(pi)f

I don't know what to make of that. I mean it couldn't hurt to memorize that one I typed out above, but I don't have any notes of ever having actually used it, which makes me wonder if it was simply supplied in whatever passages it was applicable? Don't know what to tell ya!

On AAMC 11 there was one using the omega=2(pi)overT equation. It asked for the period. But I'm pretty sure I'm just going to memorize the ones you mentioned.

All I really did today was look through a set of flash cards and finish the Official Guide to the MCAT. Tomorrow I am going to read through all of my notes I've taken over the last three months. That way everything is fresh on the recall station for Tuesday.

The nerves are really starting to set in. BUTTERFLIES, EVERYONE. BUTT.ER.FLIES.

On AAMC 11 there was one using the omega=2(pi)overT equation. It asked for the period. But I'm pretty sure I'm just going to memorize the ones you mentioned.

All I really did today was look through a set of flash cards and finish the Official Guide to the MCAT. Tomorrow I am going to read through all of my notes I've taken over the last three months. That way everything is fresh on the recall station for Tuesday.
The nerves are really starting to set in. BUTTERFLIES, EVERYONE. BUTT.ER.FLIES.
Lol. I have been reviewing my notes and flashcards. Don't really want to do any hard studying tomorrow; probably just go watch a movie or do something relaxing.

Yaayyyy! Went from a 23 at the beginning of September to a 27 just now!!!!!! :)

Two more practice exams tomorrow and I'll be ready to go!!! :soexcited:
Hope y'all are studying hard! I am so excited for this to be over (even though I might retake it in January)!

Yaayyyy! Went from a 23 at the beginning of September to a 27 just now!!!!!! :)

Two more practice exams tomorrow and I'll be ready to go!!! :soexcited:
Hope y'all are studying hard! I am so excited for this to be over (even though I might retake it in January)!
Wait? What? 2 more practice exams? Tomorrow? and take the real deal on Tuesday? Ayy what a shock

@BigEinstein Thanks for your comment earlier. Wanted a second opinion about which two tests I should take. Waited super long to take these exams, because...well let's face it..I am a broke college graduate. :(
Yeah, so I will be taking one in the morning, review for a couple hours and do a second one in the evening and sleep by 9am, since I have to wake up at 5am! That's the plan...I know seems like a super killer. :boom:

@BigEinstein Thanks for your comment earlier. Wanted a second opinion about which two tests I should take. Waited super long to take these exams, because...well let's face it..I am a broke college graduate. :(
Yeah, so I will be taking one in the morning, review for a couple hours and do a second one in the evening and sleep by 9am, since I have to wake up at 5am! That's the plan...I know seems like a super killer. :boom:
Oh okay then just do AAMC 11 since it is the closest one now. Else I can give you my Gold Standard log in to take some of their tests.

I decently feel satisfied with the material I've reviewed up to this point. I went over bio heavily yesterday and today. I am just going to spend some time getting speedy with the PS calculations tomorrow and I'll do AAMC 10 & 11 or something. I'll probably skip the verbals and just do the sciences because I can actually learn from my mistakes then.

Haven't taken a FL since July, this will be exciting.

@BigEinstein Thanks so much, that would be very helpful! :)

@azor ahai Ohh man! That's almost how I felt today! What helped the most when I get stressed out is closing my eyes and practice breathing...trust me, sounds nerdy but it helps! You got this, don't fear the MCAT, let it fear YOU! :heckyeah:

You know I was actually thinking about this. Wow that is so true. I am going to work on that. I easily get the questions when I understand the passage. Thank you :highfive:

Yay!!!!! I'm so happy that this method works for you! Use it tomorrow and everything will be a okay, :cool:

I'm totally getting excited to rock this bishh

Does anyone else dream of words from their MCAT books like literally chasing after them?

Just got back from a drive to my testing center. It's a15 minutes drive.:)

Bah! I just got back from my drive and it's 1 hr & 45mins ONE WAY. #jealous

Totally worth the drive though - it was great to actually see the room, look at the seats/computers/lockers/etc. Mine is a Prometrics center, and I was really impressed; it was tucked away off the highway in its own stand-alone building, very clean, very quite, great room temp, warm decoration and comfortable colors... overall a very relaxing environment.

Totally worth the drive though - it was great to actually see the room, look at the seats/computers/lockers/etc. Mine is a Prometrics center, and I was really impressed; it was tucked away off the highway in its own stand-alone building, very clean, very quite, great room temp, warm decoration and comfortable colors... overall a very relaxing environment.
I received phone call 10 mins ago from my center to report there 45 minutes earlier

Mine is Prometrics center too.

Alright guys I'm outta here for the rest of the day - checking this forum actually gets me MORE nervous just thinking about the test and all, so I'll check back in tomorrow after it's all over.

However, before I leave, I give you this: the most emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually meaningful contribution I will ever make to the Student Doctor Network. Dim the lights, turn up the volume, and thoughtfully consider the final 2:30 minutes of this magnum opus, and let me just say - "For those about to rock..."

:boom::boom::boom:WE SALUTE YOU!!!:boom: :boom::boom:

@lumberjack89 Awwwww, we're going to miss you! Good luck tomorrow!

Does anyone know how the lockers work out or if we can leave to drink water or use the bathroom while the test is in session? I have never taken the MCAT before, so I am not sure!

First time poster in this forum. I am taking this exam tomorrow as well from a retake.

To answer Kayce question about lockers. The first time I took it they will assign a locker where you can put stuff in. You can go out and get a drink during your breaks but they fingerprint you and check ID everytime you leave or enter the testing area, which is kind of a pain.

Good luck everyone tomorrow. It's the day we've all been preparing and waiting for. Let go kill the MCAT. See you guys on the other side.:beat::diebanana: