The Official October 25th, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just thought I'd get a thread out there for those of us taking the MCAT on October 25th! Feel free to post how you plan to study, any study tips/tricks you might have or other resources you found helpful that might benefit others. I originally planned on taking the MCAT on July 12th but ended up having to reschedule with the hassle of job hunting. Now that I have a new job lined up, I ended up rescheduling to take it in October instead in getting back on track with studying. Best of luck to everyone taking it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I started April. Mainly content review. So far I'm done with half of the BR books. I'm using Jepstein30's strategy of content overview and returning to weak points, search him up his strategy is in the signature. Doing a modified SN2ed schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started April. Mainly content review. So far I'm done with half of the BR books. I'm using Jepstein30's strategy of content overview and returning to weak points, search him up his strategy is in the signature. Doing a modified SN2ed schedule.

Wow, nice!! I've BR is great for going through. I'll definitely check out Jepstein30's study strategy for ideas!

I'm currently using Princeton Review for content review and have their Hyperlearning Science workbook and Verbal book. In addition, I also have the EK series for problems too for extra practice and the EK 101 Verbal book. I starting seriously studying in March and going through review content for Biology and Organic Chemistry but lost track towards end of April with job hunting going on after my last job ended. Getting back on track now. :)

I am planning to take it maybe the 2nd or 3rd week in October. I have taken a course but still feel no where near prepared. I am currently going through the Wikipremed course and I am finding that very helpful! I started "studying" about a month ago but not consistently so now I am trying to really get focused and get on track!!!

Best of luck to you with the studying drmd2016! That's great about the Wikipremed course, sounds like it would be worthwhile to check out! I know I'm trying to get back on track with studying right now too. Hoping to pick it back up tomorrow. Things have been super busy for me with going out of town and starting a new job. Posting progress in this thread will definitely help!

Hi Hoijung33! Good luck with studying again for it and wish you all the best on the retake! When did you take the MCAT your first time?

We're almost at 3 months left to go folks! How is studying going for everyone?

Hi Hoijung33! Good luck with studying again for it and wish you all the best on the retake! When did you take the MCAT your first time?

We're almost at 3 months left to go folks! How is studying going for everyone?
Hey there! Im taking it November 7th which is close enough lol. Studying is going alright, still getting adjusted to Sn2ed 4 month plan. What about you?

Hey all! Just thought I'd get a thread out there for those of us taking the MCAT on October 25th! Feel free to post how you plan to study, any study tips/tricks you might have or other resources you found helpful that might benefit others. I originally planned on taking the MCAT on July 12th but ended up having to reschedule with the hassle of job hunting. Now that I have a new job lined up, I ended up rescheduling to take it in October instead in getting back on track with studying. Best of luck to everyone taking it!
Hi!! I'm in the same boat as you! I was going to take mine on July 12 as well but I had to reschedule twice since I started a new job. I'm following my own study schedule since I work 40+ hours a week. =/ How's your studying going?

I'm going to hop in :) I rescheduled to take on 10/25 instead of 9/6 because I really need those extra weeks. Good luck to everyone in this thread!!

I haven't posted much, just lurked around. Retaking it on the 25th after I take the TPR course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Im taking it November 7th which is close enough lol. Studying is going alright, still getting adjusted to Sn2ed 4 month plan. What about you?

Nice!! Good luck with the SN2 plan!

I took up where I left off from before by reviewing Biology. I'm working through the Examkracker books for questions, starting off. I also have a set of TPR books for review content along with the Hyperlearning books for practice questions too. I took my AAMC practice test (#3) in April which ended up being low which was disappointing so working doing more review content for doing any more with the AAMC tests.

Hi!! I'm in the same boat as you! I was going to take mine on July 12 as well but I had to reschedule twice since I started a new job. I'm following my own study schedule since I work 40+ hours a week. =/ How's your studying going?

Hi! Good luck to you too! I also am following my own study schedule as I currently work too.

Signed up for the 25th too. Will be taking with a full time course load. Best of luck to us all!!!!!!!

Signed up for the 25th too. Will be taking with a full time course load. Best of luck to us all!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you!!!

How is Verbal content going for everyone here? I got a 3 on my first Examkracker Verbal test. I know they are designed to be more difficult than the real thing but...ouch was all I could think haha. I otherwise have a few nonfiction books that I plan to read over the course of the next couple of weeks to help improve my reading skills to better prepare for it!

Right now, I have the Princeton Review books and Berkeley Review books, and those have been really helpful so far, even though it's a lot to go through.

I also am using TPR and EK! I've otherwise already taken AAMC 3 and am using that to assess strengths and weaknesses from studying the Bio Sciences section from earlier. Still need to do more content review for Physical Sciences.

I'm sticking to Oct. 25th this time. I originally had it scheduled for August 7th but I had other obligations. I just started my Kaplan course this week...and so far, I am so lost! LOL. I'm looking for more additional resources to help me. I've heard a lot of good things about Chad's videos. I have Berkeley Review books too and ExamKrackers audio osmosis. Even though I have to go to another state to take my mcat since I had to reschedule and this was the only available spot I think it's a good amount of time for studying. I need to do this...

im rescheduling from septh 6th to this date. This time I'm strictly following EK 10 week study schedule. Anyone know if their 10 week schedule is good enough?...i will also do tprh science workbook for passage practice as well as ek 1001 series.

Hey all, taking the test on the 25th after postponing from the August 2nd date because I had to finish my thesis and focus on that, not having enough time to study. I took a kaplan course over the summer but didnt really get much out of it and I am now trying to teach myself everything in these final three months. I am doing terrible with the physics portion so far, the kaplan books I have are very vague and don't really explain how problems get answered, they just give the answer and their work is hard to follow, especially with the "high yield problems" in the back. Any recommendations to better understanding the physics concepts so that I can actually apply them to problems?

Also, forgot to add this, if anyone is in the Columbus, Oh area and wants to get together and study I would be more than willing to meet up.

I rescheduled to this date because I was nowhere near where I was suppose to be in terms of prepping and score improvement. I finished content review and have been working on practicing so mainly just getting used to answering questions. Anyone want to be my study buddy..we can keep each other posted and ask questions/throw concepts around?

I rescheduled to this date because I was nowhere near where I was suppose to be in terms of prepping and score improvement. I finished content review and have been working on practicing so mainly just getting used to answering questions. Anyone want to be my study buddy..we can keep each other posted and ask questions/throw concepts around?
Are you studying with any other commitments?

Hey guys I am checking in here!! I was supposed to take 8/27 but work and other commitments got in the way:( Gahh. So I am joining all of you on this date! Hope we have a lively group here, and we all kill this thing. I am using TBR for physics, gen chem. EK for bio. EK and TPRH for verbal. Also chads vids to supplement everything, especially organic. @Lanoserol I am currently through ch #5 in TBR for physics, ch #2 for gen chem in TBR, ch #4 in EK bio, and with organic I am gonna wait till we get closer and just memorize it so I can mind dump if after this test:p Lol. Just to let everyone know I got an appalling 5 PS/12 V/5 BS (22 composite) on diagnostic with no studying a few months back, so I have a long way to go. If anyone has questions please let me know. I have all materials including TPRH, TBR, and EK for everything so should be able to connect no matter what you're using! Good luck to everyone !!!:thumbup: PS I am taking on this date NO MATTER WHAT!! Haha who else is with me?

Is anyone else having trouble with ochem? I did the content review using EK and I find it to not be so useful when doing the actual practice. It also doesn't help that I've never been that good with ochem and I took it a loooong time ago. If you have any word of wisdom on how to study or approach the ochem aspect of the MCAT, please do share. :)

@bambam92 I'm taking this no matter what also. I didn't do so well with my diagnostics (20) 7/5/7. Definitely need some work. Just started on my second week with Kaplan and I still need Chad's videos to help me understand.

@stitchattack I would look at chad's videos since they are very helpful with content.

I'm using BK for contents , TPR SW and EK 1001 for practice. I'll start using AAMCs hopefully a month before my exams.

I will like to join your study group but I won't discuss AAMC material I haven't done so no spoilers ;) plz

Mind if I pm you guys in a conversation? We can figure out how we want to do this study buddy thing once we figure out where each of us stand..without spamming this thread. lol

PS I am taking on this date NO MATTER WHAT!! Haha who else is with me?

Despite re-scheduling more times that I like to admit, I just registered for this date and will be taking it no matter what as well. Glad I found this thread :)

Is anyone finishing content review before taking FLs or just take them as you go?

I'm saving my AAMC FLs until I'm ready..since there aren't that many, I don't want to waste them if I'm still missing practice questions because I don't have my content down.

I have no idea how to add more people to a conversation. It just doesn't show the option for me to add people. XD

I'm saving my AAMC FLs until I'm ready..since there aren't that many, I don't want to waste them if I'm still missing practice questions because I don't have my content down.

I have no idea how to add more people to a conversation. It just doesn't show the option for me to add people. XD
I am also saving AAMC FL for the last. I want to be done with content review before I start FL too.

I am planning to retake the exam in October. July one got me 26 only. Now, with most applications deadlines being at the end of October would taking MCAt this late in the game still qualify you to apply for this cycle (2015-2016 year)? Or are you guys applying for the year 2016-2017? I am pretty upset about my score and weighting options about how to adjust my plans. Appreciate responses.

I am planning to retake the exam in October. July one got me 26 only. Now, with most applications deadlines being at the end of October would taking MCAt this late in the game still qualify you to apply for this cycle (2015-2016 year)? Or are you guys applying for the year 2016-2017? I am pretty upset about my score and weighting options about how to adjust my plans. Appreciate responses.

I asked my advisor the same thing and she said that she doesn't see why med schools would not take a look at my MCAT if I take it this year and apply next year. The scores are good up to 3 years (I think..correct me if I'm wrong) and the med schools I looked up don't specify if they need you to take the new MCAT..all they say is that they will take the scores taken up to 3 years ago. If anyone else has new information, please share.

omg! lol ive got to stop changing my mind
im like 60% sure this will be my test date if i dont feel ready by september