The Official October 25th, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just thought I'd get a thread out there for those of us taking the MCAT on October 25th! Feel free to post how you plan to study, any study tips/tricks you might have or other resources you found helpful that might benefit others. I originally planned on taking the MCAT on July 12th but ended up having to reschedule with the hassle of job hunting. Now that I have a new job lined up, I ended up rescheduling to take it in October instead in getting back on track with studying. Best of luck to everyone taking it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone finishing content review before taking FLs or just take them as you go?

I finished content review and will be starting practice tests this week. I was thinking about doing all the Kaplan FL and AAMC Self Assessments and saving all of the AAMC FL for the last 4 weeks, 2 a week, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Any suggestions/ideas?

I finished content review and will be starting practice tests this week. I was thinking about doing all the Kaplan FL and AAMC Self Assessments and saving all of the AAMC FL for the last 4 weeks, 2 a week, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Any suggestions/ideas?
If you really finished content review entirely I would NOT wait to take till 10/25. Thats insane! Way too long --you will start forgetting stuff. A month of FL's should be adequate..if I were you I would push for mid september. Start doing all the passages in TBR physics/gen chem if you haven't or TPRH if thats what you have. And also take FL's. Ideally you get ahold of kaplan or TBR FL's and take a bunch of those first then dive into the AAMC's as date gets close. I would do SA before getting into FL's.

Best of luck to you!!!

How is Verbal content going for everyone here? I got a 3 on my first Examkracker Verbal test. I know they are designed to be more difficult than the real thing but...ouch was all I could think haha. I otherwise have a few nonfiction books that I plan to read over the course of the next couple of weeks to help improve my reading skills to better prepare for it!

I think I got a 7 or something lol this was months ago

I'm sticking to Oct. 25th this time. I originally had it scheduled for August 7th but I had other obligations. I just started my Kaplan course this week...and so far, I am so lost! LOL. I'm looking for more additional resources to help me. I've heard a lot of good things about Chad's videos. I have Berkeley Review books too and ExamKrackers audio osmosis. Even though I have to go to another state to take my mcat since I had to reschedule and this was the only available spot I think it's a good amount of time for studying. I need to do this...

You sound like me! I rescheduled from aug 7th to sept 18th. Pushing back again likely to this date.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone's progress so far?

I had done about 60% of the content review with TPR but now I have full access to an online Kaplan course so I'm reviewing old stuff some more by doing additional practice material. I'm getting there..

Last edited:
We have a little over 2 months to reach our goals. We can do it! My test simulation condition: studying in a warm to hot room with only the fan feeding me its breeze every now and then. I just want to sing "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

We have a little over 2 months to reach our goals. We can do it! My test simulation condition: studying in a warm to hot room with only the fan feeding me its breeze every now and then. I just want to sing "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

78 days to be exact!

I think I got a 7 or something lol this was months ago

You sound like me! I rescheduled from aug 7th to sept 18th. Pushing back again likely to this date.

Hopefully, we will not change our minds again and get a 30+ on the mcat come Oct. 25!

What is everyone using for bio content? I am using EK, but have to supplement frequently with wikipedia/youtube etc cause it doesn't explain everything adequately for me. Anything you guys use that you like? I am thinking of just filling in the AAMC BS outline on Microsoft word doc; surprised more people don't do this…seems like could be very affective.

What is everyone using for bio content? I am using EK, but have to supplement frequently with wikipedia/youtube etc cause it doesn't explain everything adequately for me. Anything you guys use that you like? I am thinking of just filling in the AAMC BS outline on Microsoft word doc; surprised more people don't do this…seems like could be very affective.

I use EK for Bio review and I agree that it lacks details but it's good for having the essential points down. I don't think BS passages require a lot of information and I feel if you know the essentials, you can figure out the answers from the information given in the passages. You may need to know more for discrete questions though.

It's the Ochem passages that I struggle with. Partly because ochem is my weakest of all the sciences. :(

I use EK for Bio review and I agree that it lacks details but it's good for having the essential points down. I don't think BS passages require a lot of information and I feel if you know the essentials, you can figure out the answers from the information given in the passages. You may need to know more for discrete questions though.

It's the Ochem passages that I struggle with. Partly because ochem is my weakest of all the sciences. :(

Gotcha. What are you using for content ? And if you struggle with organic I suggest chads vids (has his phD in ochem), freelance teacher, and organic chemistry as a second language by david klein:)

Gotcha. What are you using for content ? And if you struggle with organic I suggest chads vids (has his phD in ochem), freelance teacher, and organic chemistry as a second language by david klein:)

For all my content, I used the EK books. Thanks for the info on the ochem stuff..I'll check them out.

I have Kaplan, TPR, TBR, EK, and NOVA physics for content :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you really finished content review entirely I would NOT wait to take till 10/25. Thats insane! Way too long --you will start forgetting stuff. A month of FL's should be adequate..if I were you I would push for mid september. Start doing all the passages in TBR physics/gen chem if you haven't or TPRH if thats what you have. And also take FL's. Ideally you get ahold of kaplan or TBR FL's and take a bunch of those first then dive into the AAMC's as date gets close. I would do SA before getting into FL's.
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm also working 12 hour shifts 2-3 days a week which is why I decided on the October date. It seems like it's just around the corner! Eeeek!!

I have Kaplan, TPR, TBR, EK, and NOVA physics for content :laugh:
I have mostly everything you have with the exception of NOVA for physics. I am still on my Kaplan prep course and have been following that, but I have been falling behind due to work and other obligations. Trying hard to stay on schedule. Anyone else did a prep course?

I have mostly everything you have with the exception of NOVA for physics. I am still on my Kaplan prep course and have been following that, but I have been falling behind due to work and other obligations. Trying hard to stay on schedule. Anyone else did a prep course?

I'm working my way through Kaplan now. I feel behind as usual

Do you guys feel like you remember everything you studied? I feel like I know it but I don't know it well.

I'm working my way through Kaplan now. I feel behind as usual
Keeping up with the Kaplan course is overwhelming. Sometimes I just watch Chad's videos if I don't feel like reading.

@stitchattack...I don't even remember the paragraph I just read which was like 5 minutes ago. J/k.. I feel the same way.

Keeping up with the Kaplan course is overwhelming. Sometimes I just watch Chad's videos if I don't feel like reading.

@stitchattack...I don't even remember the paragraph I just read which was like 5 minutes ago. J/k.. I feel the same way.

@USMC2Doctor lol you just need to remember the passage for verbal for 8 minutes then you can forget about who said what.

@USMC2Doctor lol you just need to remember the passage for verbal for 8 minutes then you can forget about who said what.
I'm all over the place with my studying. I started with physics, but it sucked the life out of me, so I switched to reading passages for verbal. 15 minutes in doing verbal, I couldn't concentrate, so now I'm watching Chad's videos on bio. Ahhhhh

I'm all over the place with my studying. I started with physics, but it sucked the life out of me, so I switched to reading passages for verbal. 15 minutes in doing verbal, I couldn't concentrate, so now I'm watching Chad's videos on bio. Ahhhhh

I feel you. Luckily, I'm done studying for the day/night and Sundays are my easier days so I can chill with netflix tonight. :D

I was going to sit for 08/21 but my scores were not Improving. For AAMC.....#4 and #5, I got 26, 27. The sciences were 10s and 9s and verbal was 7s and 8s. That was disappointing. For GS....#1,#2,#3.... Sciences were 11s and verbal was 9. My GS scores were 30+. I took Kap 6(old Kaplan 77 questions) recently.....got 11/8/10 for ps/vr/bs. I am shooting for like 32 or 33 on the real deal. Currently I am doing SAs and TPR SW. So my plan is to keep taking FL's from varied sources like TBR, TPR etc., and try and bump my scores to 30+. I didn't want to postpone the date. I felt like a bit more push would have seen me through. But I work full time and it was not realistic to expect me to put in 8, 9 hrs study time each day, which is reqd a month before the exam date. So I pushed the date out a bit more. Anybody else in the same situation?

I was going to sit for 08/21 but my scores were not Improving. For AAMC.....#4 and #5, I got 26, 27. The sciences were 10s and 9s and verbal was 7s and 8s. That was disappointing. For GS....#1,#2,#3.... Sciences were 11s and verbal was 9. My GS scores were 30+. I took Kap 6(old Kaplan 77 questions) recently.....got 11/8/10 for ps/vr/bs. I am shooting for like 32 or 33 on the real deal. Currently I am doing SAs and TPR SW. So my plan is to keep taking FL's from varied sources like TBR, TPR etc., and try and bump my scores to 30+. I didn't want to postpone the date. I felt like a bit more push would have seen me through. But I work full time and it was not realistic to expect me to put in 8, 9 hrs study time each day, which is reqd a month before the exam date. So I pushed the date out a bit more. Anybody else in the same situation?

If you were hovering around 30 already on FL's I think come 10/25 you can realistically shoot for 35+! Get verbal to 10..check out @TBRBiosadist verbal strategy…get that to 10 consistently and then just try to murder the sciences:thumbup:

If you were hovering around 30 already on FL's I think come 10/25 you can realistically shoot for 35+! Get verbal to 10..check out @TBRBiosadist verbal strategy…get that to 10 consistently and then just try to murder the sciences:thumbup:
Thanks! I appreciate the advise. I will definitely check @TBRBiosadist strategy and keep you all updated on progress.....Thanks once again.

I've pushed my mcat date like 3x already because of work and family obligations. I'd be lucky to get a solid 4-5 hours of studying in a day. I usually study when I can and it's occasionally late at night when the kids are asleep. I feel that my studying is useless at times because I don't think I'm retaining the information as I should.

Good job on making things work and doing fairly well on your practice exams. You should be well on your way to a 35+ by Oct. 25!

I've pushed my mcat date like 3x already because of work and family obligations. I'd be lucky to get a solid 4-5 hours of studying in a day. I usually study when I can and it's occasionally late at night when the kids are asleep. I feel that my studying is useless at times because I don't think I'm retaining the information as I should.

Good job on making things work and doing fairly well on your practice exams. You should be well on your way to a 35+ by Oct. 25!
Thanks for the encouragement. Honestly, I'd be happy with a 32. That's all I want. And yes it does feel like I am not retaining information even though I have made notes and keep looking at them but it seems never enough. Like today I was doing discreets from Gen Chem TPR SW and forgot the Rate eqn for first order rxns. It is in my notes. I just don't remember it and i must have gone through it like 10 times, but still forget it. It is very hard to attempt this with a full time job and in your case a family obligation as well. So all kudos! for being so brave and hanging in there. And a wish goes out for all of us. I hope we all make it (with some sanity still intact) with our desired scores. Keep working towards it........

I'm joining you guys--hopefully this thread will provide some accountability! I've postponed several times, but am trying for 10/25 or 10/21. The biggest challenge for me is being alert/awake enough after work to focus on studying. I've already given up my morning coffee to save it for the evening. :(
I'm using Chad's videos for physics and gen chem content and EK for bio and orgo content. I'm hoping to start the AAMC SA soon in the next couple weeks.

I'm joining you guys--hopefully this thread will provide some accountability! I've postponed several times, but am trying for 10/25 or 10/21. The biggest challenge for me is being alert/awake enough after work to focus on studying. I've already given up my morning coffee to save it for the evening. :(
I'm using Chad's videos for physics and gen chem content and EK for bio and orgo content. I'm hoping to start the AAMC SA soon in the next couple weeks.

Welcome to the club. I've postponed several times myself and hope to take it this time no matter what. I don't know if this works for other people but if you start to doze off studying, I would take a mini break by doing some light exercise or just walking around before heading back to study. I've tried to push on when my brain wasn't in it and usually, I would end up reading but not retaining any information of what I just read. Also, putting both your feet on the ground and sitting up straight also helps. I was skeptical at first because it wasn't comfortable but if you're too comfortable, you won't be 100% focused. Try it out, it may help out..if not, no harm done.

Welcome to the club. I've postponed several times myself and hope to take it this time no matter what. I don't know if this works for other people but if you start to doze off studying, I would take a mini break by doing some light exercise or just walking around before heading back to study. I've tried to push on when my brain wasn't in it and usually, I would end up reading but not retaining any information of what I just read. Also, putting both your feet on the ground and sitting up straight also helps. I was skeptical at first because it wasn't comfortable but if you're too comfortable, you won't be 100% focused. Try it out, it may help out..if not, no harm done.

thanks! I'll definitely try it.

I've been lurking around a bit - but I decided I'll be joining you guys on this date! ;)

I was wondering - are any of you guys following SN2ed's schedule? If not - what are you guys doing for content review? I can't seem to get myself remotivated. I feel like I'm burnt out and crashing into a wall haha.:whistle:

Rescheduled yet again to 10/25. Using EK for content review and listening to EK Audio Osmosis. Doing every EK1001 and TBR question. Using TPRH for Verbal.

I'm doing just EK for content review and if I don't understand the concept, I reference TBR. I'm hearing that the actual tests are based more on experiments and I'm not sure if there's any way to study for those. I think if you really know your content, you should be able to figure things out. I just hope EK content is sufficient.

Rescheduled yet again to 10/25. Using EK for content review and listening to EK Audio Osmosis. Doing every EK1001 and TBR question. Using TPRH for Verbal.
How's the audio osmosis so far? Are you doing a schedule or just listening to it in the order it comes in the CDs?

Guys, I'm starting up my 33 hour a week work schedule next week and I feel so completely hopeless. I managed to get a majority of this summer off, but I managed to accomplish basically nothing. Idk where to go from here.

Guys, I'm starting up my 33 hour a week work schedule next week and I feel so completely hopeless. I managed to get a majority of this summer off, but I managed to accomplish basically nothing. Idk where to go from here.
I'm in the same situation. Work full-time and school starts next week. It's 120am here in Cali time and I am forcing myself to listen to 3 of Chad's videos since I can't seem to read when all the words gets blurry after 10pm-ish.

It sounds like you've got a lot of the content review out of the way, that's definitely something! Have you figured out a study schedule yet that works with your job?

How's the audio osmosis so far? Are you doing a schedule or just listening to it in the order it comes in the CDs?
I'm listening to it in the car, so out of order since I've looped it 3 times now. Their humor is so awful, I find myself skipping to the next track if it's unbearable. I actually tried editing all the mp3 files to cut out their stupid jokes and skits, but it took too long. If you can get it cheap, try it. If not, no big loss.

It sounds like you've got a lot of the content review out of the way, that's definitely something! Have you figured out a study schedule yet that works with your job?

If you follow the Kaplan plan at all, I'm almost done with the first set of all of it. So that's about 3 weeks worth of work. I couldn't get disciplined enough for the TPR plan for whatever reason, but I got about 60% of TPR content finished from mid april until the end of July. Which is horrible.

As for the study schedule, not yet. When I tried it back in April it basically consisted of me staying up until 4 am every night. I decided mid april to try for the June 21st mcat and I burned out really fast. So I guess that explains my lag in studying.

I'm in the same situation. Work full-time and school starts next week. It's 120am here in Cali time and I am forcing myself to listen to 3 of Chad's videos since I can't seem to read when all the words gets blurry after 10pm-ish.

I've tried to watch videos late at night but they seem to put me to sleep! Haha

I've tried to watch videos late at night but they seem to put me to sleep! Haha
Keep plugging. Don't stop. There is an end to this. I don't know the specifics of your plan but whatever it is, keep doing, keep doing as if you are posses by it, eat it, sleep it, breathe it.....whether u work or studying at home full time. U will get through the content pretty soon. Watch this video. I just found this out on the SDN and have been very inspired by it........

I'm a little pissed off. I was planning on taking the test this day or the November 7th day, but both of those (and the 21st of october) are filled up in my state. Damn you Arizona! Now the question becomes: do I study and wait until the January date (because I don't feel like going to another state to take it -- too much time, money, etc.) or do I study and hope that one of these opens up because it is likely that someone reschedules? (This will be my second time taking it). Likely the first one.

Haha yeah, I'm starting work next week too. At least you got your summer off - I've been working all summer. I think the main thing to do is make a schedule, and be sure to put in some buffer days. I sat down and made an excel spreadsheet with day-by-day things, including classes and work.

I'm a little pissed off. I was planning on taking the test this day or the November 7th day, but both of those (and the 21st of october) are filled up in my state. Damn you Arizona! Now the question becomes: do I study and wait until the January date (because I don't feel like going to another state to take it -- too much time, money, etc.) or do I study and hope that one of these opens up because it is likely that someone reschedules? (This will be my second time taking it). Likely the first one.

I say you might as well act like you're taking this one, but don't touch the AAMC's until you're sure you can get an earlier test. There's no harm in doing more questions, but stay cautious about using AAMC's too soon. There's only a limited amount of resources released by them unfortunately :(

However, if you think you're not ready to take it this early, or if you think you'll burn out, then just go for the January date. On the bright side you'll have a couple of weeks of winter break to study for it!

I say you might as well act like you're taking this one, but don't touch the AAMC's until you're sure you can get an earlier test. There's no harm in doing more questions, but stay cautious about using AAMC's too soon. There's only a limited amount of resources released by them unfortunately :(

However, if you think you're not ready to take it this early, or if you think you'll burn out, then just go for the January date. On the bright side you'll have a couple of weeks of winter break to study for it![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm probably going to just take the January one. This is my second time for the MCAT (28 on the last one: 10/7/11), and I exhausted my AAMC tests, except number 8. So I have to find a different set, whether that will be Gold Standard or TBR's full lengths.

I'm listening to it in the car, so out of order since I've looped it 3 times now. Their humor is so awful, I find myself skipping to the next track if it's unbearable. I actually tried editing all the mp3 files to cut out their stupid jokes and skits, but it took too long. If you can get it cheap, try it. If not, no big loss.
Yes, I have the audio osmosis but I am just listening to it when I drive to work or to the Kaplan course. Now order whatsoever. I'm not too sure if I'm actually retaining any of the info presented though.