****The Official Ohio State Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

NMC2010

τετέλεσται
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Didn't see one of these up yet for Ohio State, so here it is.

As far as I know, they've only sent out supplemental applications so far. Post here when you start getting interviews, accepted/rejected, and if you have any relevant information regarding the school, interviews, etc.

Good luck, fellow hopeful Buckeyes!

OSU CoD Class of 2018 - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/331850400288456/

OSU CoD - Office of Admissions - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/OSUDentistryAdmissions

The Ohio State University College of Dentistry Home Page: http://www.dent.ohio-state.edu/

Please post your stats when you get your interview! Here's a format you can use:

School: Ohio State
Notification date:
Method of notification:
Residency:
AADSAS mail-out date:
GPA (science, overall):
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For next year's applicants:
Additional sites/useful information:

Interview feedback questions:

There isn't going to be anything extraordinarily difficult or unexpected; most of the questions below are standard interview questions. You will have at least one 10 minute session for an ethical question(s), as is expected. Be honest with your answers - one current OSU student mentioned how he gave the "wrong" answer, but was later told there are no wrong answers, and that his honesty was appreciated.

Example questions from previous interviews: http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/osu/survey/26#question_overflow_119

Main article to questions: http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/osu (click on "view survey," then, at the bottom, click "questions." You will see three sets of questions - this can be expanded to view numerous questions [only posted this in case link above doesn't work] )

Staying at the Blackwell:

* Expensive: ~$185/night (?). However, the interview itself takes place AT the Blackwell Inn, so it eliminates considerable travel hassle. If interested in staying somewhere cheaper, some alternate ideas are listed on the second page of this thread.

* You are allowed to have up to 2 guests staying with you at the interview if your parents or significant other are interested. The guests will later split off and have their own tour of the campus, then have free time to explore Columbus (suggestions are given for places of interest).

* Do not be alarmed if they say the Blackwell is full. This occurred for us, and my mom asked if there were spots reserved for interviewees - there are. We were able to do this and reserve our room less than a week before the actual interview (though I don't advise waiting that long).

Interview Atmosphere:

Everyone that is interviewing you and helping with the interview day do not want you to be stressed. They'll try to help you out as much as possible to relax and be yourself. They want to know you as a person, not a number. Before interviewing, you must sign in and pick up your name tag, then you're provided with breakfast and a welcome from Annette McMurry (Director of Admissions) and Dean Patrick Lloyd.

You're interviewed by both students and faculty in MMI format (multiple mini interview), similar to speed dating - generally about 6-8 interviewers in 6 sessions (1 to 2 interviewers per table). Each session is 10 minutes with a 2 minute break before each interview, total of 72 minutes. The interviews are blind - the interviewers have NOT read your file beforehand, so you have the opportunity to show them your personality without positive or negative biases from your AADSAS/file. They provide water bottles for dry throats and a short bio of the person (or people) interviewing you before each 10 minute session begins.

For the remainder of the day, you and the rest of the interviewees first get to ask a panel of dental students questions about the school, education, etc., followed by lunch, a tour of the campus & dental school, and a session about financial aid.

Instate/Out-of-State Interviewee Number & Notification Dates:

There are 3 interview sessions, each with 72 interviewees, for a total of 216 interviewees. 110 of 216 are accepted for the following year's class. 75% of those accepted are required to be in-state students. However, this can be higher than 75% (class of 2017 has 95/110 in-state students).

All three interview sessions have people from both in-state and out-of-state from what I know. Apparently, most of the people in the third session are in-state, but I'm fairly sure there were AT LEAST 20 out-of-state people at the third interview session. OSU (and all other dental schools) let you know when you've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected on the first Monday of December (Dec. 2 this year). There are no interviews offered post-December for OSU.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help you out!

Last edited:
This is straight off of their facebook page:

"It's been awhile...sorry, we have been busy reading files! We have over 230 completed applications we are reviewing for the first interview! And there is 999 applications in the AADSAS applicant portal in various stages.If you haven't completed your AADSAS or supplemental application be sure to do so very soon, so you can be considered for the last two interviews. Don't wait...time is ticking away!"

So I guess we all should hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, they said there is a possibility of being included in the first interview, so long as your application was completed by August 1st. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Bump!

This, today, off their facebook page:

Current Application Stats August 7:

AADSAS Applications 1023

Completed Supplemental Applications: 417

Completed Applications (both AADSAS & Supp Complete): 354

First interview offers will go out next week! We will be making phone calls. More details to come in the near future!

This, today, off their facebook page:

Current Application Stats August 7:

AADSAS Applications 1023

Completed Supplemental Applications: 417

Completed Applications (both AADSAS & Supp Complete): 354

First interview offers will go out next week! We will be making phone calls. More details to come in the near future!

Thank you for the update! :)

NP!

Here's another update from them today. Get ready everyone!

OSU CoD Admissions Facebook Page:

Are you ready? Invitations for the first interview date (Sept 14) will go out next Tuesday, August 13. We will be calling all the candidates we are inviting.

Be sure:

1. Your ringer is on.
2. If you cannot answer, please be sure that your voice mail is professional and states your full name--without it we cannot leave a message because we cannot verify it is you.
3. OSU is added to your safe email list--we will follow-up with an email filled with details about the interview day. A formal invite will go out in the mail.

Good luck!

Uh oh, I really do need to update my voicemail. Once again, thank you for the helpful update!

I need to figure out *how* to get my voicemail to record a message instead of having the default haha

first time posting so I am not sure if I am doing this right, but AH! I re-recorded my voice mail thing so many times haha good luck everyone and I hope to hear updates from all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys! Here's the last set of stats for complete applications from OSU CoD Facebook Page:

Application Stats--August 12

Total AADSAS Applications: 1037

Completed Supplemental Applications: 454

Total Complete Applications: 395

If you have not done so already, please submit your application materials soon! We will begin reviewing applications for our second interview this week and will solidify the list of those to invite on August 30th.

Going by the August 2nd update of 281 completed applications with 72 interviewees per session (3 total), not taking into consideration whether in-state, OOS, DAT scores, GPA, etc., there's a 1/4 chance you'll get invited to the first interview (solely as the number of invites goes). That'll increase by a lot if you have good stats.

Good luck for round one, be sure to post here when you get invited! :)

Last edited:
Does anybody know how you'd have a complete supplemental but an incomplete AADSAS? I'm just curious because doesn't your AADSAS have to be complete in order to get their supplemental?

Does anybody know how you'd have a complete supplemental but an incomplete AADSAS? I'm just curious because doesn't your AADSAS have to be complete in order to get their supplemental?

I think once they get your AADSAS, whether complete or not, they send you the supplemental application. You can complete it and turn it in, but you still might be waiting for AADSAS to finish (if you don't have things like DAT scores, LoR's, etc.). You'll want to tell them once your AADSAS is complete.

Good morning future dentists! I just wanted to let you know that OSU posted on their FB page around 8:30 or so saying that they will be calling people very soon for their first interview session! Good luck to any and all who receive this phone call and let us know :D:D:D:D

Hey all I just got a call for the September 14 date. am in state so maybe that's what the first round is. I will give you guys all the details !

This from their Facebook page:

Phone calls are done. We will be sending an email to all the candidates we invited along with a formal invite via mail. Those of you that got a call today, check your INBOX and your MAILBOX! Congrats to the first 72!

We will begin reviewing applications for interview #2 beginning today! Those invites will go out the first week of September. Good luck to all the remaining applicants!

Got a call for the 9/14 interview today!!!

In State! Go Bucks!!

No call so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

guys please post your stats. im glad that you all got interviews but some information would be nice as well.

1st interview :)
School: OSU
Notification date: 08/13
Method of notification: E-mail/phone call
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/12/13 3rd batch letter sent 8/2
GPA (science, overall): 3.11/3.05
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/22/19/None

Reactions: 1 user
1st interview as well.
School: OSU
Notification date: 08/13
Method of notification: E-mail/phone call
Residency: PA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/12/13, LOE sent 8/2
GPA (science, overall): 3.88, 3.93
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/20/22/None

I still haven't received a supplementary ? I just got an email asking me to set up a username or something like that... Was there anything else I was supposed to do?

I still haven't received a supplementary ? I just got an email asking me to set up a username or something like that... Was there anything else I was supposed to do?

Once you set up the username, you'll get a supplemental. It'll come like 2 days after

No call for me either. I think it might have been because my DAT scores weren't updated until 8/1 at 11:55 PM, not sure though. Either way, no need to worry yet guys - still 2 more interview sessions. Congrats again to everyone that got the invites, and please be sure to post your stats once you receive the invite!

Read the email completely.. there is a link where you have to sign in with username and password to have access to supplemental.... Good luck everyone :)
submitted ADEA: 7/22
Gpa calculated: 7/23
mailed out: 7/26 (5Th Batch)
Supplemental application email received: 7/28
Supplemental submitted 8/2 --> so hopefully will get interview for second date

I will be interviewing Sept. 14 too! I'm out-of-state. Only received the email because my phone doesn't work right now.

Hi! I am OOS and I am interviewing on Sept. 14th. Yay!

Last edited:
Yesterday's update:

Application Stats August 14

AADSAS Applications: 1053

Supplemental Applications: 486

Total Completed Applications: 422

Invitations for Interviews: 72

For those that got interviews, did they send you first an email saying your application is complete and under review? Or they just call you/ email with interview notice? Thanks...

Another update for everyone:

Application Stats August 19:

AADSAS Applications: 1070

Supplemental Applications: 529

Total Completed Applications: 490

Next round of interview invites will go out Sept 4th or 5th. Don't delay, submit today!

For those that did not get interview for first round, are you still consider for 2nd or 3rd round? Or they give you rejection letter?

For those that did not get interview for first round, are you still consider for 2nd or 3rd round? Or they give you rejection letter?

As far as I know, we're still being considered for interviews.

Facebook update:

Application Update August 23:

AADSAS Applications: 1083 (up 14% from last year)

Supplemental Applications: 556

Completed Applications: 515

Deadlines
September 1: Out of State Applicants
September 15: In-State Applicants

Edit (8/26): Hey everyone, school started today for me, so I may not be able to keep this as updated as I'd like. Feel free to post any updates here, should you have the desire to do so. Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
So they are interviewing on Saturday??

Facebook page:

We hope you enjoyed the long weekend and that you finished your applications to OSU! The deadline for out-of-state applicants was Sept. 1 and the deadline for in-state applicants is Sept. 15. We currently have 1095 AADSAS applications, but are waiting on supplemental applications that go with those AADSAS applications to be completed. Be sure that you complete your supplemental within 24-48 after you receive the link! It is getting down to the wire. Invites for the 2nd interview will go out this week and then we only have ONE interview left!!!

DON'T DELAY...SUBMIT TODAY!

Wishing the first set of interviewees the best!

Looks like the second interviews are going out sometime tomorrow. They posted this on their facebook about an hour ago:

"Tomorrow we will be making calls to invite applicants to our second interview! Please be sure your ringer is on and your voice mail is 1) set up, 2) professional, and 3) clearly identifies you. If your name is not on the voice mail you will receive a generic message from someone in our office."

Okay, maybe dumb question. I added a bunch of schools last minute (mailed 8/30) and OSU was one of those. I know the deadline was Sept 1st. Is that for the process to be started (ie: AADSAS submitted) or does the supplemental have to be submitted before that time to meet the deadline?

I've still not gotten the supplemental. I got the email to set up a student account, so it sounds like it should be coming in the next few days.

CleverThought, this is the best answer I can give you. It seems possible that you can submit your AADSAS and do the supplemental still if you're OOS, but it is unlikely that you'll be considered this late in the process. I'd say do it anyways, just in case, but don't expect a miracle.

This is the link to their website: http://www.dent.osu.edu/admission/prospective/calendar.php .

It says: September 1--Deadline for out-of-state applicants to submit their AADSAS Application to OSU

September 15 – Deadline for in-state applicants to submit their AADSAS Application to OSU

If you submit on or just before this date, it is very unlikely that your application will be reviewed prior to the last interview invitations being sent out. Do not procrastinate!

Hope to hear lots of feedback from people getting calls in the next 24 hours!

Just got a call!!

Congrats! Just wondering, did your application say under review on AADSAS? Mine was never updated from application complete so I don't know if this mean that I'm not being considered right now or if they just don't update it.