****The Official OHSU Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I've got an interview this Monday, November 25 so I will let you all know what the process entails for OHSU afterward.

Members don't see this ad.

I got the same msg on my aadsas, but I got the soft rejection email. OoS.
Since you received that "soft rejection email", did you ever receive a rejection letter? Have you called them to see what that email was about and the meaning behind it?

Since you received that "soft rejection email", did you ever receive a rejection letter? Have you called them to see what that email was about and the meaning behind it?

No rejection letter yet, and I haven't called them. Judging by last year's thread, it's a soft rejection msg, but I suppose there's always hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I decided to give a breakdown of each one of my interviews to help out anyone who interviews after I do, so here goes!

OHSU was definitely the school I knew the least about going into the interview. I had no idea what the interview was going to be like or really anything about their process. I arrived a little early, the interview starts at 9, and took a seat in room 601. There only wound up being 2 other candidates today, so OHSU definitely interviews the smallest group I have yet to see or hear about. After we three were seated and got to know each other we were given paperwork to fill out (Academic Honesty Policies and the like) and a writing portion. The writing portion was different for each of us and you are essentially given a half hour to write half of a page. We all finished in no more than 10 minutes. My question was, "What do you look for when choosing a friend?" They are pretty straight forward and a test to see whether you can actually write coherently and legibly I'm sure.

Then at 9:30 we met with Mark (no idea what his last name was) who went over the changes being made to the school, reasons OHSU is the right choice, Financial Aid, etc... He was very kind and personable and we all got along really well. We went a little long, but at 10 (we were more around 10:15) you are given the opportunity to go and shadow in the clinic, which is a pretty novel opportunity, although the OMFS had no patients and I felt like we were in the way in the general clinic, oh well! We used the time more as a tour, rather than get up and personal with shadowing.

Next was the interview. You half 2 half-hour interviews with 2 separate faculty members (I was under the initial impression that it was an hour long interview in front of a panel, but I was very wrong). I interviewed with a Dr. Katancik and Dr. Pfeiffer. Both were quite conversational and I really wasn't asked anything difficult. I was asked "Why dentistry? If I asked your friends to describe you what would they say? Do you plan to specialize? What was Panama like? Do you plan on doing research if you are accepted? What kind of woodworking do you do?" Everything else was pretty light conversation, and they seemed to tailor their questions towards the individual application rather than general questions. Just know your app and be coherent and you'll be fine. They really just want to get to know you. Also, for those of you worried about the lack of pre-December interviews, don't be worried. They said that they will have only interviewed 30-36 candidates by December 2nd, and if about half accept then you're still looking at 60 vacancies in the OHSU program. They started interviewing late and their small interview candidate sizes means they will probably be slowly interviewing until about March or April. So don't worry everyone if this is your dream school!

Then I had a nice taco salad lunch with a dental student, and we talked about the school and life goals. Then he took me on a tour of the school and we finished at 1. Then I was given the option to go on another tour with another student or sit in on a lecture, so I chose to take another more in-depth tour since the class I was interested in shadowing was cancelled. He let me try on his loupes and check out his set typodants and whatnot. We also took the aerial tram to the gym and got a nice view of Portland. We got back around 2 and that was the end of the interview day. It was seriously very relaxed and they pretty much let you go wherever you want without too many restrictions. The tour is a little moot since the new school will be opened next year and you won't spend too much time in the current dental school anymore. Overall, it was a great experience and Oregon is a terrifically beautiful place for those who have applied that aren't Oregonians.

Good luck everyone and if you have any other questions regarding the interview process or OHSU PM me. I would be happy to correspond. My flight is leaving now so I'm not going to proofread this. Good luck!

Good luck everyone

Shpoof333,

Thank you for sharing. It is nice of you.
Good luck to you too!

Hello everyone, I decided to give a breakdown of each one of my interviews to help out anyone who interviews after I do, so here goes!

OHSU was definitely the school I knew the least about going into the interview. I had no idea what the interview was going to be like or really anything about their process. I arrived a little early, the interview starts at 9, and took a seat in room 601. There only wound up being 2 other candidates today, so OHSU definitely interviews the smallest group I have yet to see or hear about. After we three were seated and got to know each other we were given paperwork to fill out (Academic Honesty Policies and the like) and a writing portion. The writing portion was different for each of us and you are essentially given a half hour to write half of a page. We all finished in no more than 10 minutes. My question was, "What do you look for when choosing a friend?" They are pretty straight forward and a test to see whether you can actually write coherently and legibly I'm sure.

Then at 9:30 we met with Mark (no idea what his last name was) who went over the changes being made to the school, reasons OHSU is the right choice, Financial Aid, etc... He was very kind and personable and we all got along really well. We went a little long, but at 10 (we were more around 10:15) you are given the opportunity to go and shadow in the clinic, which is a pretty novel opportunity, although the OMFS had no patients and I felt like we were in the way in the general clinic, oh well! We used the time more as a tour, rather than get up and personal with shadowing.

Next was the interview. You half 2 half-hour interviews with 2 separate faculty members (I was under the initial impression that it was an hour long interview in front of a panel, but I was very wrong). I interviewed with a Dr. Katancik and Dr. Pfeiffer. Both were quite conversational and I really wasn't asked anything difficult. I was asked "Why dentistry? If I asked your friends to describe you what would they say? Do you plan to specialize? What was Panama like? Do you plan on doing research if you are accepted? What kind of woodworking do you do?" Everything else was pretty light conversation, and they seemed to tailor their questions towards the individual application rather than general questions. Just know your app and be coherent and you'll be fine. They really just want to get to know you. Also, for those of you worried about the lack of pre-December interviews, don't be worried. They said that they will have only interviewed 30-36 candidates by December 2nd, and if about half accept then you're still looking at 60 vacancies in the OHSU program. They started interviewing late and their small interview candidate sizes means they will probably be slowly interviewing until about March or April. So don't worry everyone if this is your dream school!

Then I had a nice taco salad lunch with a dental student, and we talked about the school and life goals. Then he took me on a tour of the school and we finished at 1. Then I was given the option to go on another tour with another student or sit in on a lecture, so I chose to take another more in-depth tour since the class I was interested in shadowing was cancelled. He let me try on his loupes and check out his set typodants and whatnot. We also took the aerial tram to the gym and got a nice view of Portland. We got back around 2 and that was the end of the interview day. It was seriously very relaxed and they pretty much let you go wherever you want without too many restrictions. The tour is a little moot since the new school will be opened next year and you won't spend too much time in the current dental school anymore. Overall, it was a great experience and Oregon is a terrifically beautiful place for those who have applied that aren't Oregonians.

Good luck everyone and if you have any other questions regarding the interview process or OHSU PM me. I would be happy to correspond. My flight is leaving now so I'm not going to proofread this. Good luck!

Good luck everyone
Did you happen to get any insight into this "soft rejection email"? Is it a 'rejection' or a 'putting your application until later'?

Did you happen to get any insight into this "soft rejection email"? Is it a 'rejection' or a 'putting your application until later'?

I did not inquire or find out anything about the "soft rejection" email. Sorry!

When are the next batch of interview invites going out?

Hey everyone,

I had my interview today, and it went GREAT! I really love this school and am excited for what will come! They did mention that so far 40 applicants have been interview about, and that they will continue to fill their class through March

So be patient everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why are they so slow in their interviewing? Doesn't it put them at a disadvantage, if most competitive applicants would have already interviewed and accepted a spot at another school before OHSU even get around to interviewing them?

I talked to a member of the admissions committee on the phone and they stated that "no further action" was merely a hold. I think they just want to make sure they get people who really want to go to OHSU.

I got an email at about 10 saying they had trouble sending out acceptance emails through AADSAS, so what was supposed to be sent out at 3 PM got sent at 10 PM. So everyone, check your emails for a possible acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
When they sending out the next batch of interviews?

Acceptance email came through at 1:33 AM!!! Portal updated too!

Got my acceptance at 10:28pm! So excited!! Cant wait to confirm my spot!

OHSU Class of 2018!

I talked to a member of the admissions committee on the phone and they stated that "no further action" was merely a hold. I think they just want to make sure they get people who really want to go to OHSU.
Thanks for that input!

So after 3 months of silence I got a "competitive pool" email just now...This thread has been awfully quiet and it seems only 2 people have been accepted so far...? Is there anyone here who's got this email but still haven't heard anything? Not sure if I should get my hopes up for an interview /:

So after 3 months of silence I got a "competitive pool" email just now...This thread has been awfully quiet and it seems only 2 people have been accepted so far...? Is there anyone here who's got this email but still haven't heard anything? Not sure if I should get my hopes up for an interview /:

I just got that email too. I wasn't sure if this was a competitive pool email. Lets cross our fingers

Got the "highly competitive pool" email yesterday too. I am not sure whether there are different pools, but I guess it is more likely for us to get an interview. I think that they are waiting for academic updates.

Last edited:
I also received the competitive applicant email last night. However, if a interview offer would come my way I will decline.

It's a shame they are so slow to get going, I would have given them a much stronger consideration.

Got the "highly competitive pool" email yesterday too. I am not sure whether there are different pools, but I guess it is more likely for us to get an interview. I think that they are waiting for academic updates.
Ya I got this email on Oct 15, Still haven't heard anything!!

That is a good email to receive! I received that email back in November, and was invited for an interview and have been admitted

I got the same email around October and I have not heard anything back. Are you instate or OOS?

That is a good email to receive! I received that email back in November, and was invited for an interview and have been admitted
I got the same email around October and I have not heard anything back. Are you instate or OOS?

Oh My Gosh, I just want an interview so I can visit Portland... Portland is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I interviewed at OHSU last Friday (12/13/13) and I received my acceptance yesterday (12/16/13). If anyone wants to know .. I am an OOS applicant.

I interviewed at OHSU last Friday (12/13/13) and I received my acceptance yesterday (12/16/13). If anyone wants to know .. I am an OOS applicant.
Thanks for the feedback. May I ask you when you got the interview call?

I received an e-mail inviting me to interview at OHSU on November 19, 2013. I had to call them to schedule the interview date.

Did anyone get any invites from the school since Dec 2nd?

Interview invite received last Thursday. Interview scheduled for this Tuesday (1/21)

That's awesome osu12345! Good luck!
Is there anyone who got the "competitive letter" that never got an interview last year??

I think someone earlier mentioned that he received the competitive email last year and never had an interview

Are they still giving out invites?

Are they still giving out invites?

Yes! I interviewed there recently and they said the end of january and through february are their busiest months for interviews. They will keep extending interview invites until the class is filled. So far there are around 35 of the 75 seats filled I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
Good Luck to all of you! Be patient as OHSU tends to be slow! If you have any questions about Portland or the application process please dont hesitate to ask. I got to see the new building and may I just say that it is AMAZING!

Good Luck to all of you! Be patient as OHSU tends to be slow! If you have any questions about Portland or the application process please dont hesitate to ask. I got to see the new building and may I just say that it is AMAZING!
How is the clinical experience? Is there a shortage of patients? Heard some students have been complaining about the curriculum difficulty and wanted to know whether that has changed?

How is the clinical experience? Is there a shortage of patients? Heard some students have been complaining about the curriculum difficulty and wanted to know whether that has changed?

I am not to sure. As I will be a starting in August for class of 2018. I have talked to my friends who are currently first years and they havent complained. I have heard they are a very clinical focused school which is why I chose it. As to patients I doubt there will be a shortage since the new building is very much accessible by public transit compared to the current facility.

Yes! I interviewed there recently and they said the end of january and through february are their busiest months for interviews. They will keep extending interview invites until the class is filled. So far there are around 35 of the 75 seats filled I believe.
Thanks for the reply!

Just got my acceptance E mail! Interviewed on Jan. 21st. In state applicant.

For those who received an interview, was it via phone call or email for the invite? Thanks!