****The Official OHSU Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I'm on my way over to interview! Any help on what the interview process is like at OHSU?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU is very excited about their new facility and answering your questions...mine felt way more like taking a tour than a job interview. Enjoy it ;)

Hey guys,

This is my first day here at the forums, so I'm trying to play catch up. I received an email in December that my application is under review but I have not received any communication since then. My AADSAS still says "Received/Under Review". Since I haven't heard, does that mean I have missed the interview batches? Would they send me an email or something telling me I'm rejected?

Thanks guys!

OHSU is arguably one of the slowest schools for interviews/acceptances. I would just sit tight, but if you're very interested I would email/call them and see where you stand. You can also send in a letter of interest/update them on what you're doing. They like that.

Portlandstateofmind I would love a PM about the interview process this year, from previous years I have heard it consisted of a written prompt, powerpoint, then two thirty minute one-on-one sessions with faculty. Would love to know if thats still the case and the kinds of things I should think about. Thanks for any info!

Portlandstateofmind I would love a PM about the interview process this year, from previous years I have heard it consisted of a written prompt, powerpoint, then two thirty minute one-on-one sessions with faculty. Would love to know if thats still the case and the kinds of things I should think about. Thanks for any info!
PM sent. No PowerPoint when I was there. Just a sit down with Mark about the school, classes, cost, etc.

Also have an interview there this Friday and am beyond excited! Would love to hear more about the interview process from people that have already done it and congrats to those people accepted!

Also have an interview there this Friday and am beyond excited! Would love to hear more about the interview process from people that have already done it and congrats to those people accepted!
Congrats! Good luck! When did you get your interview invite?

Called them today, very friendly. Said they're just over halfway done reviewing applications and expect to be going into March and possibly beyond

Members don't see this ad :)
What % of people even get dec1 acceptances? I'm not sure if I should take DAT at a later date or not :S
I would say less than 20% are accepted by December 1.

I don't know if I understand your statement, are you thinking of taking the DAT again for this cycle?

What % of people even get dec1 acceptances? I'm not sure if I should take DAT at a later date or not :S

FWIW, I'm a non-resident who took the DAT in late September, first heard back from them in December, and got an interview invitation this week.

FWIW, I'm a non-resident who took the DAT in late September, first heard back from them in December, and got an interview invitation this week.
Congrats! When is your interview? I'm also OoS and I'm curious how much notice you get to buy airplane tickets. :)

Congrats! When is your interview? I'm also OoS and I'm curious how much notice you get to buy airplane tickets. :)

It's next Thursday. I would have done it even sooner if I could have! But they had dates farther out that were available as well. It's actually nice how flexible they are with scheduling.

I'm a local non-resident. I'm just across the river in Clark County, so I can do it just about any time.

That's great news; I bet you're excited and relieved to finally hear from them. :) let us know how your interview goes!

Quite! Especially after touring the new school earlier this week, I know it's not only the best place for me to be when considering my family (my kids don't have to switch school!), but it also offers me education opportunities best suited to my goals.

I am applying this upcoming cycle and plan on taking the DAT mid August in hopes of them receiving my scores by Sept 1
That makes a lot more sense. I took my DAT August 20. Plenty of time for them to get the scores. Submit the rest of your application in June or July and they will get your scores in September. Were you thinking about taking it even later? Like September?

That makes a lot more sense. I took my DAT August 20. Plenty of time for them to get the scores. Submit the rest of your application in June or July and they will get your scores in September. Were you thinking about taking it even later? Like September?

I was originally planning on late August, but started thinking I should do mid August so that the 2-3 weeks it takes for scores to be received and everything done by Sept 1. Would that two week difference make a significant difference in terms of applying early since OHSU slow? I won't be rushed to take DAT mid August but more time always nice.

They don't look at the apps until mid-September, so I would test end of August with no reservations. Getting a good score is better than getting an early score. I know for me those last two weeks were pretty important. I didn't get a pre-December invite but I also didn't submit my application until late September.

They don't look at the apps until mid-September, so I would test end of August with no reservations. Getting a good score is better than getting an early score. I know for me those last two weeks were pretty important. I didn't get a pre-December invite but I also didn't submit my application until late September.

I appreciate the feedback. By submit do you mean complete application with DAT scores, or application was sent earlier but with no score?

Application sent in September. I got hung up on the personal statement. So if you submit your app earlier and they are just waiting for scores you will be in a better position than I was.

So accepted folks: do you get notification when they receive your commitment fee? I sent mine in last week on Monday but haven't heard anything - my deadline coming up (only had two weeks). I called last Friday and said it was on the way and they said that was fine - but still a little nervous...

So accepted folks: do you get notification when they receive your commitment fee? I sent mine in last week on Monday but haven't heard anything - my deadline coming up (only had two weeks). I called last Friday and said it was on the way and they said that was fine - but still a little nervous...

I got an email login info for the student portal, but no "we got your money" message.

Check your ADEA portal under "School Decisions". Mine updated to a message saying they received my deposit.

Got an interview invite today. Just curious about what the interview is like. I went through all of the posts but haven't actually seen anyone break it down. Also I'm looking at flights and was wondering what time the day ends. Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to seeing this school.
EDIT: I totally missed the link for specifics on the interview day, but any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Anybody with this status message receive an interview?

"Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application. You will be notified in writing and by email of any changes made to your application status."

This has been my status message for a few months now and still no word.

Anybody with this status message receive an interview?

"Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application. You will be notified in writing and by email of any changes made to your application status."

This has been my status message for a few months now and still no word.

I'm pretty sure most if not all of us that received interviews had that on our portal. They're pretty standard with their messages they send everyone minus the email they send that says either "Your application is amongst a highly competitive pool, which we typically select from to participate in the interview process" or the non-competitive email. Don't read into the status updates much, they're really slow with reviewing applications.

Anyone know if they've ever made an exception for prerequisite courses? I still need to take a semester of Anatomy/Physiology for OHSU but I'm worried it's a bit late.

Did anyone who already interviewed find out if the class size will be expanded to 90 students this year or not?

Anyone know if they've ever made an exception for prerequisite courses? I still need to take a semester of Anatomy/Physiology for OHSU but I'm worried it's a bit late.
You could still take your A&P in spring or the first two terms in summer. But they do not make exceptions for pre-requisites. If you don't have it your application as a future course they may not consider your application complete. If you have any questions call the school and ask if your application is considered complete. Otherwise they will not consider you.

Did anyone who already interviewed find out if the class size will be expanded to 90 students this year or not?
They did not expand the class size. I asked the dean that exact question and he said "when the state of Oregon needs more dentists then we will look at increasing the class size."

EDIT: I totally missed the link for specifics on the interview day, but any other info would be greatly appreciated.

I interviewed this week and found the whole process very laid back. I got to talk to a lot of students and see plenty of slices of what a typical day is like on the various floors of the school.

For those curious, they're at about the halfway point of the number of interviews they expect to do. If you haven't heard anything you might yet. Over the last two weeks I went from being told I'm still competitive and to hang to to being invited to interview shortly thereafter to being interviewed and then accepted.

I interviewed this week and found the whole process very laid back. I got to talk to a lot of students and see plenty of slices of what a typical day is like on the various floors of the school.

For those curious, they're at about the halfway point of the number of interviews they expect to do. If you haven't heard anything you might yet. Over the last two weeks I went from being told I'm still competitive and to hang to to being invited to interview shortly thereafter to being interviewed and then accepted.

That was fast. How long after did you get accepted?

Has anyone taken the course offered by PSU, "Chem 199 Aspects of Dentistry," in collaboration with OHSU faculty and students? If so, would you recommend this course?

I took it, highly recommend. Get to go up to the SOD every week. Meet dental students. Hands on lab time. If you are in the Portland area they will expect to see it on your transcript.

I took it, highly recommend. Get to go up to the SOD every week. Meet dental students. Hands on lab time. If you are in the Portland area they will expect to see it on your transcript.

Besides the experience, would you say it is a good networking tool as far as gaining admission? What kind of lab work do you do?

I think it is a great networking tool if you are reasonably social. You will make impressions, pour up stone, do wax ups, you might cut a crown prep. It is a lot of fun.

Where do you plan on living? I'm an out of stater hoping to get some insight as to where OHSU students live.

The better question is what are the places to avoid in Portland, in terms of inconvenient commute/unsafe neighborhoods/etc? Is the east side really that bad??

Some of the students I talked to at the interview said they lived pretty close to campus, apartments either on the waterfront or SW of the Hill I guess? Seems expensive...Any recommendations on housing is appreciated!

~Just interviewed today and really liked the school. Also my second interviewer said he would recommend me for acceptance so hopefully I hear back soon. Also for future interviewees I got out at 2:10 and took green taxi, or something like that, and the driver helped me get to the airport to be at the gate at 2:35 for my 2:55 flight though I don't recommend cutting it that close. Also we were told the class is about 60% filled

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just interviewed today and really liked the school. Also my second interviewer said he would recommend me for acceptance so hopefully I hear back soon.

Mine told me that too. So hopefully you hear back the next morning like I did!

Where do you plan on living? I'm an out of stater hoping to get some insight as to where OHSU students live.

The better question is what are the places to avoid in Portland, in terms of inconvenient commute/unsafe neighborhoods/etc? Is the east side really that bad??

Some of the students I talked to at the interview said they lived pretty close to campus, apartments either on the waterfront or SW of the Hill I guess? Seems expensive...Any recommendations on housing is appreciated!

Most places in Portland I don't find too bad. I've lived in and near some rough neighborhoods in Missouri and Florida, and by comparison, trash talk about Portland neighborhoods being bad often comes off to me as fretting about a low number of coffee shops or a low walkability score. If you can go through potential neighborhoods in person, do so. If not, Google street view can be helpful.

If you can get roommates, rent is probably comparable in areas close to the waterfront as it is elsewhere. It's high everywhere here.

My oldest has already started school, so I'm going to deal with the crap commute from Clark county.

Most places in Portland I don't find too bad. I've lived in and near some rough neighborhoods in Missouri and Florida, and by comparison, trash talk about Portland neighborhoods being bad often comes off to me as fretting about a low number of coffee shops or a low walkability score.

Haha, ^that is really funny and not all too surprising to tell the truth!

Wow, it didn't even occur to me to look across the border in Clark County. How long is your commute? By car I'd imagine yeah? Is there public transport from Vancouver?

Haha, ^that is really funny and not all too surprising to tell the truth!

Wow, it didn't even occur to me to look across the border in Clark County. How long is your commute? By car I'd imagine yeah? Is there public transport from Vancouver?

This year, my commute to Portland State, which is basically the same, is averaging 1 hour in the morning. Last year it was about 40 minutes. I'm waaaay out on the east side of Vancouver and I notice that there is generally a heavy period around 7 am, a lull from 7:30 to 8, then heavy again.

Factor in the pain and cost of the commute and the need to pay for a parking spot somewhere and then see if it's worth it for the cheaper rent in Vancouver. There is transit. If you live in downtown Vancouver, maybe the bus to downtown Portland and then the street car would be reasonable. But when I looked at park and ride then the max from the east, it seemed like I'd spend forever in transit if I went that way.

Seriously, if we didn't really like our house, which is cheap compared to things in Metro, and our daughter's school, I'd want to move.

This year, my commute to Portland State, which is basically the same, is averaging 1 hour in the morning. Last year it was about 40 minutes. I'm waaaay out on the east side of Vancouver and I notice that there is generally a heavy period around 7 am, a lull from 7:30 to 8, then heavy again.

Factor in the pain and cost of the commute and the need to pay for a parking spot somewhere and then see if it's worth it for the cheaper rent in Vancouver. There is transit. If you live in downtown Vancouver, maybe the bus to downtown Portland and then the street car would be reasonable. But when I looked at park and ride then the max from the east, it seemed like I'd spend forever in transit if I went that way.

Seriously, if we didn't really like our house, which is cheap compared to things in Metro, and our daughter's school, I'd want to move.

Thank you for all the input rev_rend!

That commute is definitely pushing the limit. I might just suck it up and pay to be closer. I totally understand your reasons for staying in Vancouver though...gotta do what ya gotta do.

That commute is definitely pushing the limit. I might just suck it up and pay to be closer.

I would. What kind of commute are you okay with? It does get cheaper farther out and you might find some decent stuff out on the new max line in Milwaukie.

I would. What kind of commute are you okay with? It does get cheaper farther out and you might find some decent stuff out on the new max line in Milwaukie.

I don't have a problem commuting 30-45 min or so. It's just hard to know what distance/neighborhoods that opens up without having a feel for the congestion and whatnot. I mean, I've only spent a weekend in Portland haha. Yeah, the Tilikum Crossing and the orange line make Milwaukie a good place to look. Thanks!