****The Official Roseman Univ. Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Did someone from Roseman tell you there were 147 people on the waitlist? Or speculation?
I was just joking because they have a big list lol

Members don't see this ad.

is anyone else worried about Roseman being new and pass/fail ruining chances of specializing?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone else worried about Roseman being new and pass/fail ruining chances of specializing?

When I interviewed there back in February, they said around 20 or 21 D4 students (out of around 65 total students I think) matched into a specialty/residency program. I believe 24 had applied. These D4s are also Roseman's very first class of students.

When I interviewed there back in February, they said around 20 or 21 D4 students (out of around 65 total students I think) matched into a specialty/residency program. I believe 24 had applied. These D4s are also Roseman's very first class of students.
I heard from someone in the administration that nearly all of those are GPRs, not specialty programs.

I loved Roseman and its curriculum but declining my acceptance was quick because I know I want to specialize later (not GPR). It definitely seems like a place that will produce great general dentist but I know some specialty programs won't even look at Pass/Fail schools and thats even for established ones. All the Roseman students there at my interview said you literally "have tons of free time". Seems awesome but not how its supposed to be. Still love Roseman though.

I loved Roseman and its curriculum but declining my acceptance was quick because I know I want to specialize later (not GPR). It definitely seems like a place that will produce great general dentist but I know some specialty programs won't even look at Pass/Fail schools and thats even for established ones. All the Roseman students there at my interview said you literally "have tons of free time". Seems awesome but not how its supposed to be. Still love Roseman though.

Did you just really complain about free time =0

No but yes haha. Somethings slightly off when dental school is easier than undergrad, quoted by many students at my interview day.
that's absolutely a valid concern. there is a thin line between being more "effective" at teaching (which roseman claims) and simply doing/learning less. I dont think taking short cut is really the approach we should take for any health education (not that I am saying roseman is taking shortcuts; you have to decide that for yourself).

Eh...free time means you can do whatever you want including more dental research and going me in depth in the classes...a busy schedule doesn't automatically mean you learn more

Members don't see this ad :)
Have an acceptance at NYU. Trying to decide if I should withdraw from the wait list here at Roseman or not.

The intriguing thing I've found about Roseman's curriculum is that the students do seem to be less stressed, and yet they take Part 1 of the National Boards after the 1st year (whereas most schools take it after the 2nd year) but their pass rate is as high or higher than the traditional schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Have an acceptance at NYU. Trying to decide if I should withdraw from the wait list here at Roseman or not.

Unless you are dead set on NYU, why would you take yourself off of the waitlist? Worst case scenario is that you don't get offered a seat...or you get offered a seat and decline.

Because that's one of the reasons why this whole process takes forever...if Stump makes his mind up on going to NYU why stay on the wait list for roseman? Makes it easier for roseman to sort out who actually wants to be there and therefore, decrease the amount of waiting for waitlisters.

Last edited:
I want to answer a couple of questions some of you seem to have.

1. Can I specialize if I go to Roseman?
The simple answer is yes. Pass/fail system may raise some eyebrows but it is mostly what you make out of the next 4 yrs, not the Pass/fail system. I know for a fact that we have students getting into other residencies besides the GPRs. It is absurd to think that the residency programs won't even look at your file if you are from Pass/fail system.

2. Too much free time at Roseman?
It may be true that the block curriculum is less stressful than the other schools. It does NOT mean we are getting less of education. You will realize once you are here there is no way you can afford getting less education because you have to take the NBDE I after your first year. And some, if not all, of the blocks are pretty intense. Your "gunner"-type mentality will vaporize once you are in the school. Trust me, it is not easier than undergrad.

Reactions: 9 users
Thank you saintguitar...no idea why people apply to schools knowing that it won't be a good fit for them....roseman has been by number 1 choice due to the curriculum the whole time..there's a lot more to life than just school and I feel that a schools schedule that is designed to get you where you need to be while allowing the opportunity at a balanced life is premium.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you saintguitar...no idea why people apply to schools knowing that it won't be a good fit for them....roseman has been by number 1 choice due to the curriculum the whole time..there's a lot more to life than just school and I feel that a schools schedule that is designed to get you where you need to be while allowing the opportunity at a balanced life is premium.

Roseman is among the schools that are easier to get into due to high cost and lack of brand name and good reputation. So, people apply here as safety.

Last edited:
At my interview I never got the "its easy" impression at all. Everyone in the group interview still said it was incredibly difficult the first two years.

I think you can easily answer your own question. I will close my mouth if you applied to Roseman and only Roseman but I highly doubt that happened. How many schools did you apply to? Unless you found a cure for oral cancer with a 26 DAT you probably like most of us applied to 10-20 schools easy. It looks like you still are waiting to get into a school and I am pulling for you but what happens when you get into your state school and you live just across town from family and pay 50k tuition cheaper with low living expenses? That new building and block curriculum sure starts to look more uninteresting each day. To each his own. We were simply stating our opinion that Roseman is a pass/fail school that is so new it would be risky to go there if you wanted to specialize and it doesn't take a lot to even slightly agree with that. Like I said previously I still really liked Roseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Roseman is among the schools that are easier to get into due to high cost and lack of brand name and good reputation. So, people apply here as safety.
There is no such thing as a "safety school" when it comes to dental schools.

And I believe schools expect that applicants will prefer their state schools due to costs. But there are SDN'ers here who have rejected their state school's offer in favor of a much more prestigious OS school. I remember someone on SDN taking Upenn over his/her state school, and a Utahn going to Dalhousie in Canada over Roseman. If we are anguishing over how to present our best in order to land an offer, schools are to a lesser extent trying to present their best to obtain the applicants with the best "fit" so they can fill their entering class too. That's the reason for "second look events". Here's to each one of us finding our best place this cycle. Have a great Easter.

Dying here. I wonder if a lot of people who don't use SDN have been getting phone calls? It's weird that it's been seemingly silent lately.

Time to clear some thing's up again since we're getting a little SDN crazy again in here.
1) While there is some truth in that there are specialty programs that exist that don't look at P/F schools, the reality is dental education is trending towards P/F. The whole reason this thing is getting any publicity currently is because, with the exception of OMFS, specialty programs have yet to figure out a way to measure students or if they should institute a separate test since both boards and dental grading is trending towards P/F. This obviously affects Roseman being a P/F school. That said, your source in "administration" saying that nearly all of the inaugural classes residency acceptances are AEGD/GPRs is false. We have at least one student going into every recognized dental specialty with the exception of pathology cause no one applied. Of the 24 that applied to residencies, maybe half are doing an AEGD/GPR. That said, by all means, if you someone know as a predental you want to specialize (lulz), than it is prudent to attend a school with high specialization rates like Harvard of Penn. All the power to you. But you shouldn't be introducing false or erroneous information since "facts" on SDN are never taken with a grain of salt.
2) The idea that a school is "not reputable" or "risky" is a silly notion. Every school was new at some point. Looking at the crop of new dental schools, would you think less of Nova, ASDOH, UNLV, Western, or Midwestern? This idea of not being reputable or risky flies out the window once a school graduates their first class or two. Combine that with our fantastic board pass rates, and you should be comfortable as an applicant.
2.5) Another common point brought up by predents is clinical reputation or number of pts etc. In reality, even if you attended a dental school that did twice as much patient care than whoever is the current best clinical school, the reality is you will do more in your first month of practice than four years of dental school. You should be focused on acquiring the skills to be able to learn dentistry throughout your career. That's why it's called practicing dentistry. Rare is the student that graduates from d school with all the skills in his arsenal to just kick ass in private practice.
3) Applying to dental school is tricky. The prevailing SDN wisdom is go to the cheapest school. If that's what you buy into, than all the power to you. But everyone has different priorities e.g. cost, prestige of the school, location, work load, quality of life, future career paths, etc. Everyone should absolutely apply broadly and pick the best choice for them. That may inconvenience those of you on a waitlist, but oh well.
4) The idea that Roseman is easier than ugrad is a funny one as well. Just because students have ample free time doesn't mean a school is easy. How many medical schools out there are done with class by 12. Students have the time to do with as they pleasure. Does it mean they are easy? Of course not. What you see at Roseman is a byproduct of an attempt at instituting a new pedagogy that is more efficient and competent than the traditional model. If you would rather be miserable for four years or attend a dental school like NYU that banks on attrition and dropping dental students before clinic, than have at it champ.
5) The idea that there is such a thing as a "safety school" in dental application is also laughable. The ultimate truth with dental admissions is schools are seeking the best applicants that will fit best with their program. If you want to do research, go to Harvard. You'll be miserable at a clinically oriented school like UoP. Or vice versa.

Again, sorry for the high horse / soap box / wall of text. You guys are in a tough position with the waiting game and that can lead to a bit of "cabin fever" so to speak. Do your best to stay off SDN, improve your applications for the next cycle, live life, pick up a hobby, or anything that will distract you from jumping on SDN and reading / writing some crazyyyy stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
If you would rather be miserable for four years or attend a dental school like NYU that banks on attrition and dropping dental students before clinic, than have at it champ.

Oh God. Not this again.

If you would rather be miserable for four years or attend a dental school like NYU that banks on attrition and dropping dental students before clinic, than have at it champ.
5) The idea that there is such a thing as a "safety school" in dental application is also laughable. The ultimate truth with dental admissions is schools are seeking the best applicants that will fit best with their program. If you want to do research, go to Harvard. You'll be miserable at a clinically oriented school like UoP. Or vice versa.

Again, sorry for the high horse / soap box / wall of text. You guys are in a tough position with the waiting game and that can lead to a bit of "cabin fever" so to speak. Do your best to stay off SDN, improve your applications for the next cycle, live life, pick up a hobby, or anything that will distract you from jumping on SDN and reading / writing some crazyyyy stuff.

With all due respect it's quite humorous when you scold us for stating facts about your school without attending, yet you insult another school's reputation (NYU > Roseman @StumpMT) so confidently and nonchalantly. Like I said before to each his own. I wouldn't state my opinion in a matter unless I heard it from more than several of your current dental students. I understand that there will always be disgruntled or unhappy students but I personally base things off of the general consensus. Seriously though we aren't bashing Roseman we are simply making opinionated comparisons with other schools probably like how you did vigorously as a pre-dent. (And no I didn't look at your hundreds of comments on SDN as a pre-dent but maybe I should ;))

Basing an opinion off of what "several" dental students say does not constitute a consensus. I understand you guys aren't bashing Roseman. The problem is you guys work each other and crazy things get spouted off as fact after a while. My soap box / high horse post, annoying as it may be, is an attempt to correct that part of the discourse.

Regarding NYU, you are correct in that I don't attend that school. My opinion is based off information gleaned from current grads and alumns I have talked with. That said, it is anecdotal evidence and I am guilty of peddling that.

Again, my ultimate goal with these lengthy soap box posts is to inject some sanity and help correct misinformation that creeps up along during these conversations.

Im going to NYU nothing wrong for you if you decide that.

Last edited:
Well, new week... hopefully they make many calls this week. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
A friend of mine just turned down University of Washington for Roseman! Despite saving 40K per year and being closer to his family, he believes Roseman is the better fit for him, program-wise, and will be well-worth the extra money he will be spending for his dental education! O_O

A friend of mine just turned down University of Washington for Roseman! Despite saving 40K per year and being closer to his family, he believes Roseman is the better fit for him, program-wise, and will be well-worth the extra money he will be spending for his dental education! O_O

WHAT!? That goes against all teachings on this forum about choosing based on price, not happiness. I'm happy for your friend. Go where you feel is right. That's all.

Reactions: 2 users
WHAT!? That goes against all teachings on this forum about choosing based on price, not happiness. I'm happy for your friend. Go where you feel is right. That's all.
HAHAHA I KNOW RIGHT?! He is definitely an outlier but I'm happy he'll be joining me at Roseman! :smuggrin:

Good for him! In fact, I am very tempted by Roseman's block schedule, it sounds great and less stressful than other schools I interviewed at. Plus, Utah is so beautiful, all those mountains and wilderness (not where Roseman is, but escape to the canyons is only an hour away). And the people are so nice!

Have any more friends you can encourage to turn down UW so I can get in off the waitlist?

Have any more friends you can encourage to turn down UW so I can get in off the waitlist?
Surprisingly, none of my peers who were accepted into UW are going there O_O I'm beyond amazed and confused...hope you get off their waiting list soon!!!

Surprisingly, none of my peers who were accepted into UW are going there O_O I'm beyond amazed and confused...hope you get off their waiting list soon!!!
It's probably due to the total overhaul in curriculum starting this summer. After it was explained to us during the interview day, several people that day commented on what a turnoff it was.

Just withdrew my spot on the waitlist, but I was impressed with Roseman. The faculty and the curriculum both seemed to promote YOUR success and I would not have been sad to go there at all. I hope this helps whittle down the WL, I know the feeling of waiting.

Reactions: 7 users
It's probably due to the total overhaul in curriculum starting this summer. After it was explained to us during the interview day, several people that day commented on what a turnoff it was.
UW is finally jumping on the the block system eh? Despite Roseman being new, I got the impression that they have their curriculum and school model well put together and that it'll be a solid program! :)

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from Roseman these past 2 weeks?

The anticipation is.....palpable.

dun dun dun dun......
Hey! I saw you got into MWU, congrats again! Do you plan to stay on the waitlist at Roseman anyway? I assume you are since you are posting on here. But I was just curious if the waitlist is getting just a bit shorter!

Man I hope they start making calls soon.

Hey! I saw you got into MWU, congrats again! Do you plan to stay on the waitlist at Roseman anyway? I assume you are since you are posting on here. But I was just curious if the waitlist is getting just a bit shorter!

Man I hope they start making calls soon.
Thank you! I think most people will be likely on the wait list still even though they got in somewhere else. Mainly for curious purposes to find out whether they'll get accepted off the list or not. Don't worry too much because the tuition of Roseman is comparable to other private schools so they might not accept the offer even if they got off the list.