The Official September 18, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

litokhmaikid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where the rest of my September 18th homies at :laugh:? I just started Sn2ed's 4 month schedule (customized with some extra Kaplan material).

Members don't see this ad.

physics self assessment was massively helpful, realized exactly what i need to work on, its my worst subject so wanted to get it out of the way first, so i could fix my problems, got 77% dont know what that would translate to real scores, highest percentile was on the course I just took (electricity, magnetism), just goes to show all the studying can help in the world, but if you just recently took a course on the subject thats more valuable.

This is from physics self assessment # 80 if anyone can help is this poor wording or ?

Intensity level of sound B is 20dB greater than the intensity level of sound . How many times greater is the intensity level of sound B than intensity level of sound A.

This is listed as hard, but I couldve answered it in 5 seconds if they said how many times greater is the INTENSITY, not intensity level. Is this poor wording on their part, or are they interchangeable?

^Might be my lack of attention to detail but I didn't think twice upon reading that sentence to think that "Intensity" meant something different than "Intensity level".

Members don't see this ad :)
Where the rest of my September 18th homies at :laugh:? I just started Sn2ed's 4 month schedule (customized with some extra Kaplan material).

September 18th here...Using mcat-review.org, coursesaver.com, reading the mcat-review.org MCAT tips, working full time :-(....The closer we get, the more worried I am. I decided at the last minute to take the MCAT instead of the PCAT. Really started studying on Augn18th. I also watch some youtube videos.

Any suggestions?

I honestly don't think that we need to read books and review notes like many say in their threads. My strategy is read some refresher and start doing practice exams.

Good luck y'all. Please share your tips.

No idea - i've been studying really hard but my scores are still stuck in late 20's and I'm super frustrated. Thinking about postponing but really don't want to. Taking another practice test tuesday after a break and light review and will see what happens. if I still don't improve and my score still is around there then I won't be writing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! So a few weeks ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and I think that was affecting my ability to study and focus. I've also been dealing with a lot of grad school shenanigans so with heavy heart I made the decision to postpone today and will be taking it in january. I was pretty steady with 28's, so I'm hoping over the next few months with consistent studying I can bring it up to at least mid 30's. Going to re-review all the sciences and do a few hours each day with consistent practice tests on weekends! So glad I didn't use AAMC 9,10,11 just yet.

Anyway thank you all so much for the support and everything! I wish you all the best of luck, I'm sure you guys will do great.

Reactions: 3 users
Anisidi, I am sorry to hear the news. Stay strong, and I wish you all the best.

I know this is minuscule but I really want to know
What do you guys do if you have a crappy day? Like you know its going to be a crappy day? Do you take a practice exam despite knowing?

Hi everyone! So a few weeks ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and I think that was affecting my ability to study and focus. I've also been dealing with a lot of grad school shenanigans so with heavy heart I made the decision to postpone today and will be taking it in january. I was pretty steady with 28's, so I'm hoping over the next few months with consistent studying I can bring it up to at least mid 30's. Going to re-review all the sciences and do a few hours each day with consistent practice tests on weekends! So glad I didn't use AAMC 9,10,11 just yet.

Anyway thank you all so much for the support and everything! I wish you all the best of luck, I'm sure you guys will do great.

Sorry to hear about your mother. I wish you the very best. Stay strong.

This is from physics self assessment # 80 if anyone can help is this poor wording or ?

Intensity level of sound B is 20dB greater than the intensity level of sound . How many times greater is the intensity level of sound B than intensity level of sound A.

This is listed as hard, but I couldve answered it in 5 seconds if they said how many times greater is the INTENSITY, not intensity level. Is this poor wording on their part, or are they interchangeable?

Isn't the answer just 100 times larger? I thought intensity and intensity level were the same.

Anisidi,
I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your mother. I wish you and your family the best of luck and much peace; I will keep you all in my positive thoughts :)
I'm also happy to hear that you're going to take the exam in Jan; you deserve the opportunity to perform at your best on this and it says a lot about you to hear that you gave that to yourself. Stay positive and strong, and remember to take sometime for yourself and loved ones!

:)

You guys are the best. Thanks so much for all the support. I'll be keeping an eye out ;) y'all better KILL IT!!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone having trouble focusing on MCAT studies now that school started? I'm finding it harder than I expected!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having trouble focusing on MCAT studies now that school started? I'm finding it harder than I expected!

I'm quarter system, so that's why I picked this date. It's a 1-2 weeks before classes start.

absolutely cringing at some of the stupid mistakes i made on gen chem SA just now, just horrible. got 80% and glad to know most of them are based on not reading the question or passage. just seems like half the time the passage is useless regarding the questions so later on id browse the passage, and miss questions because of it. glad that PS is 200 questions. anyone have tips for just endurance! im going to start exercising, or something, anything to make me more alert.

absolutely cringing at some of the stupid mistakes i made on gen chem SA just now, just horrible. got 80% and glad to know most of them are based on not reading the question or passage. just seems like half the time the passage is useless regarding the questions so later on id browse the passage, and miss questions because of it. glad that PS is 200 questions. anyone have tips for just endurance! im going to start exercising, or something, anything to make me more alert.

For endurance on sciences, try doing the really old Kaplan or AAMC FLs which are 9-10 passages per section. Even if you don't have those, whatever practice passages you do, do them in larger chunks like 10 in 70 mins or so. This has helped me a bit.

Anyone taking this exam in NYC/LI and thinking about changing their date? I'm trying so hard to get a spot in the NYC area. I'll even take NJ or Conn. Let me know if anyone can help me out. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also when is the last date to sign up for this test date?

Last edited:
whatsup yall!

Retaker from the July 24th exam here. Was doing good on aamc, made a 31 on aam11 2 days before the tests. Ended up with a 25 on the real thing. Tanked verbal somehow. averaging 9s on aamc, got a 6 on the real thing. Hoping for the best in a couple weeks!

I also felt like for the SA passages, like half of the questions for the sciences could be answered without (or barely reading or even understanding) the passage. On the FLs, however, I am much more dependent on the passages.

Quick question. Is it too late to change testing locations for this exam? Are we past that deadline? Thanks

Made the decision to reschedule for the 10/21 exam, I'm just not quite where I want to be with less than 2weeks remaining. I wish you all the bestest BEST of all luck possible!! I know you all will do well!

Keep it groovy and stay focused y'all! I'm rooting for all of you :joyful:

Reactions: 3 users
Made the decision to reschedule for the 10/21 exam, I'm just not quite where I want to be with less than 2weeks remaining. I wish you all the bestest BEST of all luck possible!! I know you all will do well!

Keep it groovy and stay focused y'all! I'm rooting for all of you :joyful:

Where exactly is the reschedule/change location option? The only option I see is to cancel my exam. I want to see if locations closer by are open. Possible?

Got 30 (9/10/11) on the dot on my first aamc practice. a little disappointed, but expected it and not shocked that PS was my worst, i was hyperventilating for like the first 20 minutes and was alll over the place. bought caffeine pills and tried them for the first time, so i dont know if that contributed or not lol...because i calmed down by the time i got to BS, and even though i felt like i didnt know anything got 11 on it. Mindset is everything. Going to pump through a bunch of PS tonight and do AAMC 4 tomorrow. anyone pumping out tests right now?

Reactions: 2 users
Got 30 (9/10/11) on the dot on my first aamc practice. a little disappointed, but expected it and not shocked that PS was my worst, i was hyperventilating for like the first 20 minutes and was alll over the place. bought caffeine pills and tried them for the first time, so i dont know if that contributed or not lol...because i calmed down by the time i got to BS, and even though i felt like i didnt know anything got 11 on it. Mindset is everything. Going to pump through a bunch of PS tonight and do AAMC 4 tomorrow. anyone pumping out tests right now?

I've done AAMC 3,4,5,7,8,9 (finished 9 today). I was so nervous for AAMC #3 too but after that one, it gets better.

The thing with a lot of the passages is that you can "get by" (as in, get all the answer correct) by understanding about 75% of the passage.

Where exactly is the reschedule/change location option? The only option I see is to cancel my exam. I want to see if locations closer by are open. Possible?
It's too late now to reschedule that's why. The last date was last Tuesday I believe.

Doing AAMC 9 today also. I have gotten 8s on AAMC 3-8 for verbal. Ugh thats not going to go up by test date. Hopefully I can compensate with the sciences.

I just took AAMC 9 yesterday. Have fun with the verbal section ... :/ I had to end up guessing on the entire last passage because I took so much time in the first few passages. First time that ever happened, lol. However, I ended up doing the passage again after time was up just so to see what I would have gotten if I had time ... and I ended up doing fine. Soo ... need to work on time management ...

edit: but oh surprisingly i still got within my range of 9-11 even though i missed 5 questions in the last passage LOL. THANK YOU CURVE!

Reactions: 1 users
Just successfully ravaged my pharmacology test (all essay questions, hardest class in the biomedical sciences curriculum here), now time to hit the mcat hard till the 18th! Its so hard balancing school but i dont have any tests till the 18th so it is crunch time

I am! Within the next 9 days, I'll be pumping out AAMC #7-11

I did Kaplan 11 VR test today. I had such a bad day with Verbal - kept getting most of the questions wrong. I am so disappointed.

My PS and BS score is decent and consistent but my VR is variable. What can I do till test day to improve?

Given the bad day I had today with VR, I am getting really worried.

bleghhh took AAMC 4 today and went bad, i think I cant do these night mcats, took the last one at the right time 1pm-5pm and then took todays from 8pm - 12am which sucks but my school schedule is making me do it. got 30 again 11:10:9 I feel like i didn't understand the bio part, better yet i havent looked at ochem in ages and it definitely affected me, or i did but just wanted to get the test over with. this time i took no caffeine pill and got sleepy during verbal. really need to find a way that works. all i want is a 32 is that so much to ask for lol...

That's still not a bad start! If you can get a 30 at night when you're tired, then I bet you'll whip it out on test day!

hiiiiiiiiii

I JUST found a date literally 20 min from my house and I took it!

I am re-taking from 9/06 which was an ugly beast.

So excited!!

hiiiiiiiiii

I JUST found a date literally 20 min from my house and I took it!

I am re-taking from 9/06 which was an ugly beast.

So excited!!

So lucky! I'm having to drive 4 hours for mine -_-. I'm retaking from august of last year - bombed the PS: 8/9/14, PS/VR/BS

So lucky! I'm having to drive 4 hours for mine -_-. I'm retaking from august of last year - bombed the PS: 8/9/14, PS/VR/BS

I was about to drop $1000 to fly to another state.. this was god's grace that I found literally randomly checking. Good luck tho you gonna kill it!

I did not void my score, and yes you can take the test 3 times a year and this will be my second time this year.

Orange, you're retaking before you get your score back? Why not wait and see what you got? You more than likely scored around your average, no?

Orange, you're retaking before you get your score back? Why not wait and see what you got? You more than likely scored around your average, no?

I completely agree with you, and that's the advice I would have given to someone in my situation. But I am not just going based on "freaking out" after the exam, I know for a fact I didn't do as well as I wanted because there were things that I got wrong 100% and to be honest I can't afford less than a 10 on any section since 1. I am a non-trad 2. my GPA is not very competitive (not counting my post bacc) and 3. my gut feeling tells me that I didn't perform my best.

I guess worst case scenario I can void this if I feel like I did worse.. but we shall see!

I completely agree with you, and that's the advice I would have given to someone in my situation. But I am not just going based on "freaking out" after the exam, I know for a fact I didn't do as well as I wanted because there were things that I got wrong 100% and to be honest I can't afford less than a 10 on any section since 1. I am a non-trad 2. my GPA is not very competitive (not counting my post bacc) and 3. my gut feeling tells me that I didn't perform my best.

I guess worst case scenario I can void this if I feel like I did worse.. but we shall see!

Gotcha........you're just gonna end up slaying the beast twice ; )

Gotcha........you're just gonna end up slaying the beast twice ; )

Actually this might be bad lol.

If @orangetea decides to score the second time (Sept 18), s/he better hope that s/he did poorly on the first time, right (cause it looks really bad to retake good scores)?

I was trying to keep things positive. Orange realizes the risks involved. I think she'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah and most schools only look at the most recent test, so if the second one goes worse than the firs then......

Anyone else take AAMC 10 today? I went from 37 (12/12/13) on AAMC 9 to 33 (10/10/13) on that bad boy..PS kinda threw me for a loop today