The Official September 18, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

litokhmaikid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where the rest of my September 18th homies at :laugh:? I just started Sn2ed's 4 month schedule (customized with some extra Kaplan material).

Members don't see this ad.

Well VR 9 as I've said several times was much harder for me than any other test. I had to guess on every question of the last passage cause I ran out of time!

I have a pchem exam on Friday the 19th. Can we all take a moment of silence for my grade on that. +pity+

Thank you.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks FireRedYoshi,

I struggle with self confidence the most. I know more than I think I know... but if 11 is going to destroy me, I'm not sure what to do.

lol maybe take it not score it? Would probably be the first time someone voided a practice mcat.

YAY! I got a 30 on 9. BUT i think its an unbalanced score.

11/7/12 how would that look to DO schools?

Thank the lord i have a good upward trend. I got a 23 on 4. Never take the MCAT when you wake up late, and don't have a good breakfast.

But I will admit, I had to take an emergency bathroom break at 12 minutes left for VR. I thought I did better in VR, but the last 2 passages ate my face. They were artsy.
out of the 19 questions I missed on verbal, I went back and changed 10 from the correct answer to the wrong answer... *face slap* my wife told me not to do that.

ALSO DMAE was making me jittery.

You could def get into a school with that score depending on the rest of your app. I'm no expert, but I have been spending a lot of time in that pre osteo forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks FireRedYoshi,

I struggle with self confidence the most. I know more than I think I know... but if 11 is going to destroy me, I'm not sure what to do.

Hm, how about you do one bio passage a day from the AAMC 11, just think of it as practice, you don't need to do it under "MCAT" conditions or anything, just do a passage and review the questions, it will honestly help with mapping biology passages. You don't need to do any other section of AAMC 11 besides biological sciences since you are already doing AAMC 10. It is just so you will have some more experience with experimental bio passages, unless you used the TPR hyperlearning workbook which I think prepares you more than enough for the biological sciences section.

YAY! I got a 30 on 9. BUT i think its an unbalanced score.

11/7/12 how would that look to DO schools?

Thank the lord i have a good upward trend. I got a 23 on 4. Never take the MCAT when you wake up late, and don't have a good breakfast.

But I will admit, I had to take an emergency bathroom break at 12 minutes left for VR. I thought I did better in VR, but the last 2 passages ate my face. They were artsy.
out of the 19 questions I missed on verbal, I went back and changed 10 from the correct answer to the wrong answer... *face slap* my wife told me not to do that.

ALSO DMAE was making me jittery.
I think you're golden with that score - especially if the rest of your app is strong.

I've been trying to understand this first answer explanation to the Ebola passage ... I give up. I stared at it for 5 minutes and re-read it five times and I still didn't get it, lol.

search the forums, there are many others who didn't get it either. I'm sure there is an explanation posted somewhere

Well, just took FL 11. 13/8/13 I hate VR with all my life... Please give me passages about something other than history on the real deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, just took FL 11. 13/8/13 I hate VR with all my life... Please give me passages about something other than history on the real deal.

My favorite are the sciences ones (tend to be more objective) and my least favorite are the ones about some abstract humanities topic. Not only are they uninteresting, but they tend to be so dense that my comprehension drops to like 0.

Watcha all doing these last few days? I'm currently just running through a bunch of passages ... I'm not sure, but I MAY review all the content for bio/physics/chem two days before the real thing just to refresh equations and such ... not 100% sure though

Members don't see this ad :)
gonna take AAMC 10 tommorrow.....not much more you can do at this point. Just gotta remain calm.

Watcha all doing these last few days? I'm currently just running through a bunch of passages ... I'm not sure, but I MAY review all the content for bio/physics/chem two days before the real thing just to refresh equations and such ... not 100% sure though

Praying to the MCAT gods.

I highly recommend this! going through weak areas/topics that you might or might not have been very sharp on because AAMC feeds on those.. and guess what brings them up.

Best of luck to everyone :)

Anyone here using the official guide to do some practice problems? I just did the first bio passage and I'm a little annoyed at question #3 ... I thought the overactive spleen only helped degrade "worn out" RBCs and not RBCs in general >.> I was going strictly by the passage and what it said but the answer says that the overactive spleen kills all RBCs ... GRR!

I think it'd be a good idea if you have the time. I'm definitely doing so for bio and will try to squeeze it in for the other subjects as well. You might find yourself regretting not doing a quick comprehensive review after the test!

So I'm sitting in the library, and its 4 pm. I am supposed to take the MCAT at 1pm and I just got here. Im going to review 9 and then take 10. I know its not at the scheduled time, so do you guys think I should just not take it at all today and take it tomorrow?

I also don't have my usual spot in the library because its packed beyond belief.

I think it'd be a good idea if you have the time. I'm definitely doing so for bio and will try to squeeze it in for the other subjects as well. You might find yourself regretting not doing a quick comprehensive review after the test!
I will just be doing AAMC FL. I have found those to be incredibly helpful. I also have the assessment so I will be doing assessments if I decide NOT to do 11. Friday night I got my first 30s score which excited me and I don't want it to die because of 11.

So I'm sitting in the library, and its 4 pm. I am supposed to take the MCAT at 1pm and I just got here. Im going to review 9 and then take 10. I know its not at the scheduled time, so do you guys think I should just not take it at all today and take it tomorrow?

I also don't have my usual spot in the library because its packed beyond belief.

Just take it if you aren't tired.

Do I think there is some benefit to taking it at the "same time"? Probably, yes.

Do I think it really matters? Not really. If you knew F = ma at 1 PM, you probably will know it at 4 PM lol.

Today I did a whole bunch of quizzes and kept acing them and I feel SO much better about this exam than the one last week.. I can't believe I had missed reviewing SOME BASIC concepts.. if there's one thing I really cannot emphasize is KNOW YOUR BASICS.. yes there will be questions where you will be like wtf I need to use 4 formulas.. but those "easy" points really make the difference between a 9/10 or 12/13 :)

Lets Gettt it
winners-are-not-people-who-never-fail-but-people-who-never-quit+(1).png

Reactions: 3 users
How do you guys stay calm under pressure (as in, when you read a Verbal passage and understand barely any of it)?

I already have trouble with that in practice. On the real thing....

How do you guys stay calm under pressure (as in, when you read a Verbal passage and understand barely any of it)?

I already have trouble with that in practice. On the real thing....

Yeah I have the same problem too lol

Whenever I feel frustrated during an AAMC I just take a deep breath and it helps with the nerves. Trust that you know the material because you've put in the work--just the particular way the information is being presented to you at the moment is a bit confusing so look at it from a different angle or with a fresh perspective.

JUST finished AAMC 11. Scored a 36 (10/12/14).

I felt super nervous and a little scatterbrained when I started, I think in part because of 11's notoriety and because it's my last FL until the real deal. Felt more focused and in the zone as I progressed, which is indicated in my breakdown lol.

So going into the 9/18 test:

AAMC 9: 37 (12/12/13)
AAMC 10: 33 (10/10/13)
AAMC 11: 36 (10/12/14)

Really hoping the test is most like the last three FLs. But I'm preparing to be blindsided as well. Good luck ya'll!

I want to give up and not waste time on doing TBR's carbohydrate section for ochem. I never learned it in school so it is a big pain and TBR's questions are freaking crazy hard.

I want to give up and not waste time on doing TBR's carbohydrate section for ochem. I never learned it in school so it is a big pain and TBR's questions are freaking crazy hard.

lol yeah I've given up on finishing up TBR ochem. Just do the chapters where your AAMCs have indicated clear o-chem weaknesses. If you're doing decent enough on ochem I'd probably forego TBR and either use other materials or go over the AAMC outline/AAMC tests.

Yeah, I basically never miss any ochem questions on the practice tests, and there's never really been too much carbohydrate chem ... I just don't want a whole passage of carbohydrate chem to show up, lol

Also this is my second time running through TBR ochem (just to finish up the passages) ... this is the only chapter I hate.

Yeah, I basically never miss any ochem questions on the practice tests, and there's never really been too much carbohydrate chem ... I just don't want a whole passage of carbohydrate chem to show up, lol

Also this is my second time running through TBR ochem (just to finish up the passages) ... this is the only chapter I hate.

Yeah I don't think I came across anything in the practice tests where I was like, "Oh yeah, F*** glucose! Thanks BR!" I will admit that their memorization tips in that chapter are pretty sweet, though.

Last edited:
highly recommend doing the passages in the official guide ... they are totally the type that were on aamc 11 (doing bio right now) ... good data analysis practice!

@organesha

"Oh yeah, F*** glucose! Thanks BR!"

I'm pretty sure I'll take this with me forever lol.

Other ones off the top of my head:

Mannose is a gun.
Ribose is all right.

My random tip for remembering mannose is a C2-epimer of glucose in Biochem class, is that a man has 2 balls, hence C2-epimer.

Brb. Getting my mind out of that gutter.

My random tip for remembering mannose is a C2-epimer of glucose in Biochem class, is that a man has 2 balls, hence C2-epimer.

Brb. Getting my mind out of that gutter.
Welp… definitely not gonna forget that now!

Taking AAMC 11 right now, scored a 9 on PS and 9 on VR. Not feeling too good about this, I'm very disinterested today it seems. For example, in verbal, I tried to just breeze through it and finish but had no motivation to do well on it or to really understand. Is this a sign of burn out? I want to be motivated, but for some reason I don't care too much for this FL... I know the BS section is important because it is representative of the real MCAT (at least that's what I've been reading) so I am going to give myself a 30 min break to get my mind right and to really try on the BS section.

Really hope this isn't a sign of burnout....

Taking AAMC 11 right now, scored a 9 on PS and 9 on VR. Not feeling too good about this, I'm very disinterested today it seems. For example, in verbal, I tried to just breeze through it and finish but had no motivation to do well on it or to really understand. Is this a sign of burn out? I want to be motivated, but for some reason I don't care too much for this FL... I know the BS section is important because it is representative of the real MCAT (at least that's what I've been reading) so I am going to give myself a 30 min break to get my mind right and to really try on the BS section.

Really hope this isn't a sign of burnout....

Don't worry about it. I'm sure you will be hyped up for the real thing.

I am freaking out - my verbal score is still variable (6-9).

I am been going through the tests but it seems that there are some passage that I get and some that I just didn't understand properly.

Thanks justadream, that's what I'm hoping for as well.

Finished the BS of AAMC 11 and got a 10. Can't seem to break getting above a 10 in BS. I miss a lot of the straight memorization questions, so I will devote more time on memorizing the small things I have missed. I really studied the wrong way for this, but we have a couple days left and there's still room for improvement!
If I can get 10s across, which has been my most consistent score, it won't be the end of the world for me, I can retake in January. Although I am hoping to get lucky and have a question of two going my way (I'm almost always a question away from getting an 11 in each section)!

I know this is the "wrong attitude" but isn't it pretty much guaranteed that the BS section of our test is gonna be much harder than all the AAMC FL BS sections? I mean that seems to have been the trend for like every MCAT.

I know this is the "wrong attitude" but isn't it pretty much guaranteed that the BS section of our test is gonna be much harder than all the AAMC FL BS sections? I mean that seems to have been the trend for like every MCAT.
That seems to be the trend I've noticed as well. Especially from the other threads (mostly August and September 2014 MCAT threads) so that's why I'm going to focus a lot on biology, since orgo hasn't been too bad for me and I won't be able to afford missing the easy discretes or giveaways. Apparently the BS on the MCAT has been all experimental like the ebola passage in AAMC 11 (I forget where I read that), but I did well with that passage actually, so that wouldn't be the worst thing it seems lol except I probably just was lucky.

Also I am predicting a mirror/lens passage on our MCAT. Just have a feeling, mainly because I feel it's my weakest point in physics lol.

That seems to be the trend I've noticed as well. Especially from the other threads (mostly August and September 2014 MCAT threads) so that's why I'm going to focus a lot on biology, since orgo hasn't been too bad for me and I won't be able to afford missing the easy discretes or giveaways. Apparently the BS on the MCAT has been all experimental like the ebola passage in AAMC 11 (I forget where I read that), but I did well with that passage actually, so that wouldn't be the worst thing it seems lol except I probably just was lucky.

Also I am predicting a mirror/lens passage on our MCAT. Just have a feeling, mainly because I feel it's my weakest point in physics lol.

I really hope for a mirror/lens passage too*

The main problem with the Ebola passage is not so much the difficulty of the concepts but rather, how it takes more time. That then adversely affects my performance on easier questions.

*Who am I kidding? No way. I hope your prediction will be an anti-jinx lol.

I'm thinking that I might want to spend the last day or so just going through a bunch of discretes and then just looking up which ones I don't get right ... instead of going through every little detail on the aamc outline ... what do you think?

I'm thinking that I might want to spend the last day or so just going through a bunch of discretes and then just looking up which ones I don't get right ... instead of going through every little detail on the aamc outline ... what do you think?

I'm browsing through all of the topics on mcat-review.org today and going over missed questions for the last few FLs. I think I'll lightly review weak spots tomorrow. Wednesday, I'm going to drive to the testing center just to see what it's like.

Other than that, I'm taking Wednesday completely off. I would recommend taking the last day off, but that's just me. I seem to do best when I let my brain relax the day prior. I'll probably have to go on a fat run or bike ride Wednesday morning so I'll be able to sleep that night, though.

I'm browsing through all of the topics on mcat-review.org today and going over missed questions for the last few FLs. I think I'll lightly review weak spots tomorrow. Wednesday, I'm going to drive to the testing center just to see what it's like.

Other than that, I'm taking Wednesday completely off. I would recommend taking the last day off, but that's just me. I seem to do best when I let my brain relax the day prior. I'll probably have to go on a fat run or bike ride Wednesday morning so I'll be able to sleep that night, though.

What's a fat run?

^ lol, like a legit or thorough. Hey @justadream , i hit lenses for a good couple of hours yesterday and wound up still getting confused..what do you recommend for tying up the loose ends right now? i was reviewing EK but something is not right with their explanation of converging and convex lenses producing diminished objects within the focal length... at least with a double mirror system not sure with single.