The Official September 18, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

litokhmaikid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where the rest of my September 18th homies at :laugh:? I just started Sn2ed's 4 month schedule (customized with some extra Kaplan material).

Members don't see this ad.

@TheMightyTexan

Are you talking about normal optics stuff (as in, 1/f = 1/i + 1/o). If so, TPR. NOT TBR. I think TBR optics is the second hardest TBR section (behind TBR Bio Metabolic Pathways).

If you are talking about slit experiments/diffraction, I have no idea. I haven't found a decent source for any of this.

If you have specific questions about particular topics, post them on the Q&A forum. I'm pretty active there.

Yeah basically the lens maker and the set of rules... i had a double lens problem that killed me on a GS test.

Lol, a substantially exerting run. Just so I'm tired enough to fall asleep that night.

Also, I would highly recommend wikipremed.com for lenses/optics/all physics topics. I felt like their treatment of it really helped solidify the concepts for me.

Awesome looking it up now, anything else that sticks out in your mind as particularly good? I didnt go through this website much unfortunately..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah basically the lens maker and the set of rules... i had a double lens problem that killed me on a GS test.

Awesome looking it up now, anything else that sticks out in your mind as particularly good? I didnt go through this website much unfortunately..
look up freelancetutor on youtube. he was great. TBR's way of presenting things was a bit too "memorize and hope you don't forget" which I don't like. I like learning the concepts thoroughly.

Lol, a substantially exerting run. Just so I'm tired enough to fall asleep that night.

Also, I would highly recommend wikipremed.com for lenses/optics/all physics topics. I felt like their treatment of it really helped solidify the concepts for me.

Lol I've never heard of that term before.

At least if I see that term on the MCAT verbal, I won't be completely blindsided now. :)

Reactions: 1 user
i swear one of the hardest things for me to do is find a quiet place to take an AAMC. my scores went down on 9 and i honestly think taking each section in a different location (due to noise) might have contributed. There are libraries on my campus but most are so full, and quiet sections are not quiet. :( About to take AAMC 10 hope it goes well

I am re-writing (wrote for the first time 2 years ago and scored 9/6/10 S).

Here are my practice scores so far

AAMC 3 9/6/8
AAMC 9 11/9/9
AAMC 8 10/8/9
AAMC 7 10/XX/12 - have not done VR yet
AAMC 6 10/XX/11- have not done VR yet
AAMC 5 11/9/11
AAMC 4 11/6/12

I am really freaking out with the VR. I have been practicing, reviewing over my mistakes. I find that some passage I am doing well and there are just some passages that I didn't understand. What should I do? How can I improve? I am starting to doubt if I will be able to score (10+).

Any words of advice or motivation, please??

I am re-writing (wrote for the first time 2 years ago and scored 9/6/10 S).

Here are my practice scores so far

AAMC 3 9/6/8
AAMC 9 11/9/9
AAMC 8 10/8/9
AAMC 7 10/XX/12 - have not done VR yet
AAMC 6 10/XX/11- have not done VR yet
AAMC 5 11/9/11
AAMC 4 11/6/12

I am really freaking out with the VR. I have been practicing, reviewing over my mistakes. I find that some passage I am doing well and there are just some passages that I didn't understand. What should I do? How can I improve? I am starting to doubt if I will be able to score (10+).

Any words of advice or motivation, please??

For verbal take the main idea. So if the passage is about physician inmate relationship use that idea to answer the questions and make inferences. Also you need to be SUPER focused.. I recommend reading the words out loud (like you're talking to yourself), reading EACH answer choice carefully, and going with your gut feeling. If you do not know a questions mark your best guess and move on. Looking at AAMC9 and 5 would be a good idea to see HOW your thought process worked out because a 9 is pretty good and very do able for this thurs!

You can do it.. Verbal is actually a great score booster once you get the hang of it :)

For verbal take the main idea. So if the passage is about physician inmate relationship use that idea to answer the questions and make inferences. Also you need to be SUPER focused.. I recommend reading the words out loud (like you're talking to yourself), reading EACH answer choice carefully, and going with your gut feeling. If you do not know a questions mark your best guess and move on. Looking at AAMC9 and 5 would be a good idea to see HOW your thought process worked out because a 9 is pretty good and very do able for this thurs!

You can do it.. Verbal is actually a great score booster once you get the hang of it :)

How I wish this were the case for me...

Verbal is a huge liability for me.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for the encouragement. Since I am a Canadian, I really need a 11 on Verbal to be competitive. I am really freaking out now because even when I wrote last time and doing practice tests now, I have been telling myself that one day I will get a hang of it and it will become second nature but I am still struggling with this section after these many years!

Looking back at AAMC 5R and 9R, this is what I notice,

- generally getting 1 wrong/passage
- there are a couple of passages that I just got everything wrong
example - test 9, passage 8 - I got 4/10, most mistakes becasue I did not have a complete understanding of the passage. even re-reading it now, I am having a hard time understanding and mapping each paragraph.

How important do you guys think it is to take the day off day before MCAT? I don't think I'll be done with my last 1/3 of BR by then unfortunately

How important do you guys think it is to take the day off day before MCAT? I don't think I'll be done with my last 1/3 of BR by then unfortunately
I think this depends on every person. For me, I could not take the day off I had to keep myself in the zone. I didnt do hardcore studying but spent some time brushing up on certain concepts. And thank god i did because one of the concepts i touched up on was on my exam 9/12. However, i dont know what i got yet so i cant say if it worked for me.

Do what you need to do, dont listen to other peoples advice.

Trying to figure out how to spend the day before my test as well.. And yes do what you feel like doing whatever that is. I think I may do some light reviewing and fun / productive things around the house or something

Members don't see this ad :)
got 33 on AAMC 10: 12/8/13
what is going on with verbal :/ I tried a new technique of reading faster because I found myself running out of time, but now it seems like reading slower might work better for me even if i dont finish, but I always run out of time. To the people consistently getting 10+ on verbal. Please give me some tips. I don't know why EK 101 and TPRH is not translating i was getting 10/11 consistently on that.

Also got 28 2 days ago on AAMC 9, and had a freakout. I have like 80 pages of bio notes typed up, and got through 60 of them yesterday and bio shot up from 9 to 13 today...definitely finishing the last 20 pages tonight...I also pretty much wasted AAMC 4 & 9 by taking my "power naps" between sections, and pausing the test during a section when it got noisy around me. Finally decided to suck it up and wear earplugs and it made for a 5 point jump, I am so happy I just want a 30 at this point...

depends on person, but knowing me, it'd be more torture and stress to take the day off rather than just do light review.

I think this depends on every person. For me, I could not take the day off I had to keep myself in the zone. I didnt do hardcore studying but spent some time brushing up on certain concepts. And thank god i did because one of the concepts i touched up on was on my exam 9/12. However, i dont know what i got yet so i cant say if it worked for me.

Do what you need to do, dont listen to other peoples advice.
Lurker here, and I'd agree. I just can't take the day off. For some reason, it throws my whole pattern off. I did that the first time I took the MCAT listening to everyone else and on the test day, I had a HORRIBLY hard time focusing. I was still in my "play" mode from the day before so I plan on just reviewing my notes, especially those Physics formulas. I might read through some Bio chapters I didn't understand the first time around but not really worried about it. I like to think of it this way: you wouldn't take the day off before your comprehensive final so why would you take the day off for the MCAT? For me, being in the "study" mode is the key. I've already told myself I'm going to relax big time after my test so I just want to stay in my game mode. To each their own, though.

got 33 on AAMC 10: 12/8/13
what is going on with verbal :/ I tried a new technique of reading faster because I found myself running out of time, but now it seems like reading slower might work better for me even if i dont finish, but I always run out of time. To the people consistently getting 10+ on verbal. Please give me some tips. I don't know why EK 101 and TPRH is not translating i was getting 10/11 consistently on that.

Also got 28 2 days ago on AAMC 9, and had a freakout. I have like 80 pages of bio notes typed up, and got through 60 of them yesterday and bio shot up from 9 to 13 today...definitely finishing the last 20 pages tonight...I also pretty much wasted AAMC 4 & 9 by taking my "power naps" between sections, and pausing the test during a section when it got noisy around me. Finally decided to suck it up and wear earplugs and it made for a 5 point jump, I am so happy I just want a 30 at this point...

What works for me is NOT going back to the passage to answer the questions as EK suggest. It's a fine line, though. The first few times I was taking my VR, I was getting 9's and running out of time. After applying EK strategy (of not going back), I had 15 mins left at the end!! but got a 8 (depressing, I know), so I tweaked it in a way where if I was ahead of time and unsure about a question, I skimmed the entire passage and answered the question that MOST went with the main point that author was trying to make and now I'm scoring 10's. I can't exactly explain what I'm doing correct now, since I have developed a pattern that works for me but try not to go back to the passage so much and answer the question based on the answer that most agrees with the main point, that may help?

How I wish this were the case for me...

Verbal is a huge liability for me.

COMPLETELY AGREE. I am a very slow reader and it takes me a while to grasp the ideas in VR... I had to write an entire last mcat again despite the fact of 12 in both science sections :( It was honestly very frustrating.

Two days left! :horns: having a hard time falling at night an eating lol
Same here lol. Last night I wasted a bunch of time reading the August 15th thread because I couldn't sleep. They get their scores today apparently so I'm curious how they did compared to their average AAMC, but I've promised myself I'd stop looking. No need to potentially freak myself out before the exam lol especially if it's out of my hands at this point. AHHHH 2 more days! We got it peoples, we've worked hard!!

Good point, i noticed that today too, but ive already looked though the earlier ones this summer and think i know all i need to. Cons probably outweigh the pros at this point

What's the farthest distance errrrybody is traveling for this exam??

also can I just confess that I am excited about the burger place RIGHT NEXT DOOR to my center.. dinner will be amazing thurs.

tl;dr version of all official threads:

1) Real test is so much harder....omg!
2) OMG I hate waiting....did I void?
3) Phew....my scores somehow are around my average!

Reactions: 2 users
1.5 hours..gonna crash at a hotel the night before though, a couple minutes away. Go to a restaraunt first and get a good brunch or something

Truth! Except, i generally noticed that
1. you can expect 1 killer passage or two in a section and you should keep your whits about you and not burn too much on it.
2. if say ps is hard, more than likely verbal or bs should be easier (hopefully of course)

Essentially, what you learn during practice tests except maybe more elusive on the real deal. Hopefully training kicks in

A little less than an hour for me (by public transportation), which is kinda nice, I can just review a little and pump myself up before the exam. Youtube has some great motivational videos that always get me pumped up and boost confidence. I'd really recommend it haha.

Also, @justadream that is spot on lol. I keep telling myself I won't be on SDN all the time post MCAT, but I'll see how that goes for me. I don't want to turn into one of those people who's paranoid they voided... I wouldn't be able to handle it lol.

What's the farthest distance errrrybody is traveling for this exam??

also can I just confess that I am excited about the burger place RIGHT NEXT DOOR to my center.. dinner will be amazing thurs.

My testing center is 5 min away. Thank god I rescheduled to this date lol.

At this point, the best thing to do is to go in with a clear mind that will allow you to concentrate on the passage. You can't magically improve your reading comprehension skills in two days.

Okay with this thread dying down, I wanted to end with the final statistics. This is for future test takers of the old mcat and is intended to be informational. Please take this with a grain of salt though, as this is an observational study (possibly badly done too since I'm not a social scientist and not a person who usually does observational studies). This is not a true experiment. Nothing was manipulated and data was collected only from posters of this thread. Nobody privately messaged me, so all the data is right here for others to reproduce.
Quoted below are posts that talked about the statistics. Then after that are the final outcomes.

View attachment 185431
Grey background bars: Expected score distribution for a population of 107 people. Based on AAMC published data of all 2013 test takers.
Blue bars: Predicted Scores
Red bars: AAMC average scores (rounded, e.g. 29.5 = 30, 35.3 = 35)
Gold bars: Actual exam scores from August 7th, 2014 - 8am and 2pm exam times

8am:
Total People: 30

AAMC Average 33.0, st. dev 3.2 (21 responses, 70% response rate)
Predicted 31.3 st. dev 3.4 (20 responses, 67% response rate)
Actual 32.5 st. dev 3.9 (20 responses, 67% response rate)

2pm:
Total people: 77

AAMC Average 31.3, st. dev 3.8 (40 responses, 52% response rate)
Predicted 29.4 st. dev 4.0 (40 responses, 52% response rate)
Actual 31.9 st. dev 4.8 (47 responses, 61% response rate)

Both Times:
Total people: 107

AAMC Average 31.9 , st. dev 3.7 (61 responses, 57% response rate)
Predicted 30.0, st. dev 3.9 (60 responses, 56% response rate)
Actual 32.1, st. dev 4.5 (67 responses, 63% response rate)

I kept track of people who joined the conversation after scores were released and old posters who have been a part of this thread before scores were released. I found no significant difference between the groups. So, people who appear out of nowhere on this thread once scores are released do not necessarily have insane scores (35+). There is a fair share of new posters who have lower scores too to balance out. We just tend to remember those 41s and 42s who come out of nowhere and not the 25s or 26s who add their posts into the thread.

Also important, I noted nine individuals who either have been a part of this thread pretty diligently and all of a sudden disappeared once scores were posted or individuals who have noted in their posts that they scored pretty low and understandably don't feel comfortable posting their scores. So the actual score average might be a little lower, and this might come into play for the analysis of the next paragraph. If all those people scored 10 points below their average, then yeah, we might have a problem. But I've seen quite a few people (not necessarily in this thread) scoring averages of 25s, expect a 30+, but actually got a 25. Thankfully those people posted their scores and made me realize those individuals exist too. So keep in mind, a person might not say their score because THEY feel it's below their expectation, even if it might be a good score or their score is to be expected. Therefore, I believe the actual averages will not significantly change due to the nine individuals. Some might have relatively good scores (30+), but were below their expectations

I compared AAMC averages with Actual scores from people who gave BOTH scores, not just one or the other. Overall there was no difference. 2pm's actual score was 0.7 points above their AAMC average and 8am was exactly the same. So no difference. It can be inferred that you will score your AAMC average. Trust your average! In fact, 14 people out of 55 people (25%) who gave me both scores scored the EXACT same AAMC average (after rounding the aamc average). That's quite a significant number of people. Fortunately, I scored 3 points above my average :p However, my last two AAMC practice exams I took were a 39 and 37 (AAMC 9 and 8 respectively), and the average of those two was my actual score. I am so lucky. Thank you all who supported me :luck: :soexcited:

Now in contrast, the mean difference between the AAMC average (not rounded) and Actual score was +0.47 (st. dev 2.34). The mean absolute difference was 1.88 (st. dev 1.45). So if I am interpreting this right, even though on average people pretty much score their exact AAMC average (as suggested by the previous paragraph), if you look at the absolute difference, it suggests otherwise. People tend to score about +/- 1.88 from their average. However, we predicted that people tend to score +/- 2 from their AAMC average, which isn't bad, and the data supports that!

In one sentence: Most likely, you will score your AAMC average, BUT on average, you will score +/- 1.88 from your AAMC average. Hope that makes sense.

Think of a bell curve centered around your average. The peak of the curve is your mode, which is your average. You are most likely to score your mode/average and you are most likely to stay within 2 points of your average. However, don't fret if you score +/- 3 or 4. Keep in mind it is a possibility, but a little less likely (the standard deviation of the absolute difference is 1.45, 1.88+1.45 = +/- 3.33)

Also note 8am was not necessarily easier than 2pm. Look at the AAMC averages from both times and compare to their respective actual scores. They are about the same. More people might have done slightly worse in 2pm than 8am, but those people were slightly worse exam takers to begin with.

Furthermore, we had about a 60% response rate of posters who posted at least one message saying they took this exam. This is good news! We were expecting like around 30% and not even close to 60% at best.

Finally, SDN exam takers are indeed above average. We have a mean, median, and mode of 32! Great Job!!! Proud of y'all, even those who might not have gotten what they wished for :biglove:

Hope this is very informative! Peace out. Back to being a lurker, that is if I am ever on here again.:hello::hello::hello:

Just came across this on the August 7th Thread and thought I'd share it with y'all. Seems like the common saying that you will do +/- 2 points within your AAMC average is very likely. @TonyTonyChopper thanks for this. It really helped calm my nerves about the test a little.

I decided that today and tomorrow I'm just going to do a bunch of discretes instead of reviewing from mcatreview.org ... that way, I won't be reviewing things I understand already. From the discretes, I can selectively review areas I'm weak on. ++ 3-4 passages each day.

Do you guys feel like reviewing actual bio facts helped a lot for Bio? My conception was that it was mostly attributed to understanding what was going on in the passage

Might have to revise 3) with a bunch of people getting below AAMC averages on 8/15 :(

Do you guys feel like reviewing actual bio facts helped a lot for Bio? My conception was that it was mostly attributed to understanding what was going on in the passage

got a 9 on AAMC 9 for Bio, read 40 pages of my bio notes that same night and got 13 the next day. for me review helps, im reviewing all my notes the day before, especially on weak topics.

Might have to revise 3) with a bunch of people getting below AAMC averages on 8/15 :(

my aamc average was around 29...made a 31 (11-11-9) on aamc 11 two days before my 7/24 test. ended up with a 25 (11-6-8) on the real thing. Not meant to scare people, im attributing it to a fluke on test day because i was averaging 9s on aamc verbal.

Hoping to do better on Thursday though!

my aamc average was around 29...made a 31 (11-11-9) on aamc 11 two days before my 7/24 test. ended up with a 25 (11-6-8) on the real thing. Not meant to scare people, im attributing it to a fluke on test day because i was averaging 9s on aamc verbal.

Hoping to do better on Thursday though!

If TBRBio got like 7 points below AAMC avg....mere mortals (like I) are going to be in huge trouble.

I'm officially signing off till after the exam folks (its starting to get a little negative in here. Lol jk, @justadream don't worry you'll do great!). Seriously though, lets not psych ourselves out. Our hard work will show, I am sure. I hope everyone goes in very well rested and for most we'll come out feeling unsure only to find out a month later that we did extremely well (aka more or less our AAMC avg)!! Haha good lucks y'all!!

would it be beneficial to spend tomorrow studying and reviewing?

It depends on you. If you would feel more confident if you review something, then review. Just don't review for more than 3 hours and keep resting afterwards. Don't study something that will make you start doubting and feeling the MCAT is impossible...

Hello everyone,

I signed up for this test after I took the August 15th feeling I bombed PS...turns out I bombed VR! Happy day (/sarcasm). Lets see how this test date goes even though I haven't really reviewed any Bio/Orgo/VR in the past month.

AAMC Avg = 35.5 --> PS/VR/BS - 12.5/10.5/12,5 with AAMC 9-11 = 36-38
Actual MCAT = (PS/VR/BS) - (12/9/11)
Hoping for (10,11,12), we'll see what happens

Good luck to you all!