The Official September 6, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit early, but post here if you're writing on this date. For me, it's looking to be third time's the charm hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

2012: 9/9/9
2013: 10/7/12

Really need to do something about verbal.

Damn, sorry to see that. 12/9/12 wouldn't have been too bad. I might be taking this exam if I need to retake after this coming week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be taking the test on this date as well. It's a retake for me. What studying methods or strategies are you guys using? I studied with Kaplan the first time but didn't like it. I've mostly been using Examkrakers and TPR for the physics section to prepare this time.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be taking the test on this date as well. It's a retake for me. What studying methods or strategies are you guys using? I studied with Kaplan the first time but didn't like it. I've mostly been using Examkrakers and TPR for the physics section to prepare this time.

What didn't you like about Kaplan... I bought their on demand course and I have been using that in conjunction with SDN 3 month schedule. TBR is SUPER helpful but Kaplan is SUPER hard =/

Self-studying with SN2ed + Kaplan course...

Ugh I really need to knock this out of the park and be one and done b/c of study abroad in the fall and upcoming MCAT 2015 changes next year (not to mention the $$$ and time for all these damn books and classes and registration)

Ugh I really need to knock this out of the park and be one and done b/c of study abroad in the fall and upcoming MCAT 2015 changes next year (not to mention the $$$ and time for all these damn books and classes and registration)

PREACH IT. omg. couldnt have said it mo betta

What didn't you like about Kaplan... I bought their on demand course and I have been using that in conjunction with SDN 3 month schedule. TBR is SUPER helpful but Kaplan is SUPER hard =/
I'm not a fan of the Kaplan verbal strategy and I thought it would have been better if the subject review books emphasized more MCAT style practice questions. Although, the on demand course has great practice material. Honestly, I think as long as you commit to a strategy for each section and perfect it, you'll do well.

And I also agree! I want to get this taken care of before the 2015 changes.

Re-registered my original date to this day about a week ago since it's offered at 1:00. I'm using SN2ed's plan right now

I just registered for this date. Was originally going to take it August 2, but feel more time will be beneficial. This is a retake from a year ago.

How did you get your PS and BS up ?

Tbh, my first write was after having just read over content and not really doing practice problems. Second time I studied around 2 months with SN2ed and more practice. This time, I'll be doing mainly TPR for review and TPR SW + ICC and a bunch of practice tests. Still not sure what to do about verbal. Been trying TPRs strategy and seen a slight increase. Should be done content review in a month or so and then two months of just practice. How's everyone doing?

Tbh, my first write was after having just read over content and not really doing practice problems. Second time I studied around 2 months with SN2ed and more practice. This time, I'll be doing mainly TPR for review and TPR SW + ICC and a bunch of practice tests. Still not sure what to do about verbal. Been trying TPRs strategy and seen a slight increase. Should be done content review in a month or so and then two months of just practice. How's everyone doing?

Have you looked into EK101? I would really try and find a strategy that works for you... what about reading the passage really understanding it and referring to it as you go? I think mental mapping/highlighting really helped me go from 7-9 in just a few weeks. Good luckk this time around I am sure you'll do great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah highlighting has helped but I take far too long on each passage now. I just lost focus on one passage last time and my whole score went to ****.

Hai!

So I was looking for some more practice material (specifically experimental based BS section) and I found out that we can download a free 2015 mcat practice test through kaplan.. the BS(or biological and other unnecessarily difficult topic) section has some really good experimental passages to practice on!

http://www.mcat2015.com/

p.s it also gave me motivation to study hard for this test so I don't have to take that grueling 6 hour test.
Happy studying :)

One more for the MCAT guillotine.
Step 1. Say Goodbye to your sanity and friends
Step 2. Buy MCAT books or enroll in a prep course
Step 3. Read MCAT books
Step 4. Take MCAT and kill it or die trying.
Step 5. Get into MED school and repeat process with USMLE

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all,

I'm a retaker from last year, score 12/9/10.

Was going to start studying on Tuesday since I get back from Thailand Sunday.

Where are you all at in your studies??

Hey all,

I'm a retaker from last year, score 12/9/10.

Was going to start studying on Tuesday since I get back from Thailand Sunday.

Where are you all at in your studies??

OMG you probably took amazing photos.

nothing I am slaving my life away trying to know everything. literally EVERYTHING.
:)

OMG you probably took amazing photos.

nothing I am slaving my life away trying to know everything. literally EVERYTHING.
:)
+1 lol. I've also been using Examkracker's audio osmosis to try to reinforce some of the information.

I'm taking it for the first time on September 6. I'm non-trad, current allied health professional with M.S. degree. Applying only to DO schools (longer cycle so I hope the September MCAT doesn't hurt me. First choice school is PCOM, I live in Philadelphia.

Organic chemistry was my favorite class in undergraduate. I loved it!! And after all these years I still know my way through the basics.

It's PHYSICS that really bothers me. My goal is to finish massive physics content review before by the end the June with NOVA and EK1001. I recently brushed up on faster math skills. Woot.

Ouch starting my studies tomorrow. it's gonna be a rough rest of the summer. Plus I'm working 25 hours a week

Sept 6th test taker as well! Took AAMC 4 yesterday just to see where I was at, here was the breakdown:
AAMC 4- 24
PS-9 (15 mins to spare)
VR-6(i got raped)
BS-9(15 mins to spare)

was too lazy to double check any work, so I just sat there like a bum. Except for BS, I just ended it early. I guess I have time to improve. Im aiming for a 34. Hopefully I'll be able to hit that.

Best of luck to all! TBR does justice btw. Especially for the PS section. I almost finished going through the GC books and doing 1/3 of the questions, and I only got 2 questions wrong from gen chem (one from the chapter I haven't gone over yet). Rest were physics mistakes and content I wasn't familiar with.

How do you manage to do both SN2ed's schedule and the Kaplan course. This was something I was considering in the near future but idk if Kaplan would start you at a completely different subject or set of topics than the schedule would? Did you adjust it according to what you were focusing on in the class?

How do you manage to do both SN2ed's schedule and the Kaplan course. This was something I was considering in the near future but idk if Kaplan would start you at a completely different subject or set of topics than the schedule would? Did you adjust it according to what you were focusing on in the class?

I am doing the same thing(I have Kaplan on Demand) What I do is go through S2ned schedule and supplement with kaplan (they have great topicals and quizzes that I use) It's pretty manageable if MCAT is the only thing you are doing. :)

I am doing the same thing(I have Kaplan on Demand) What I do is go through S2ned schedule and supplement with kaplan (they have great topicals and quizzes that I use) It's pretty manageable if MCAT is the only thing you are doing. :)

Thanks for the reply :) Is there a reason you took an online Kaplan course instead of the traditional classroom one? I know that with Kaplan on Demand you can sort of create your own schedule which would make it easy to supplement with a self-study schedule ,but I don't do well with online courses at all so I want to do the traditional classroom course route, the downfall to that would be I don't control their schedule

Thanks for the reply :) Is there a reason you took an online Kaplan course instead of the traditional classroom one? I know that with Kaplan on Demand you can sort of create your own schedule which would make it easy to supplement with a self-study schedule ,but I don't do well with online courses at all so I want to do the traditional classroom course route, the downfall to that would be I don't control their schedule

So take my opinion with a grain of salt because everyone is different but I'll share my experience for the sake of a different perspective. I took a prep course actually(TBR) to be exact and honestly they have some of the best books I have seen however, the prep course imo was a waste of my time. I am the kind of person that likes to study on my own and review topics on my own paste. I felt like I was going to class spending time taking down notes reviewing those notes then making time to read the books and had minimal time for passages (which is like 70% of this exam). However, I decided to also try the TPRH course which again was the same but what I learned from all this was to use their material and make my own schedule(or use Sn2ed). You can definitely try the Kaplan classroom courses but try to incorporate some studying of your own (going over topics that they don't, using other practice material so you see different problems) Good luck! :)

I'm not a fan of the Kaplan verbal strategy and I thought it would have been better if the subject review books emphasized more MCAT style practice questions. Although, the on demand course has great practice material. Honestly, I think as long as you commit to a strategy for each section and perfect it, you'll do well.

And I also agree! I want to get this taken care of before the 2015 changes.
What verbal strategy do you think was the most beneficial? I've been taking the Kaplan course, but I'm still struggling to see much improvement in verbal.... I heard from some people that examcrackers is the way to go..

Well in my opinion, I think one of the challenges of the MCAT is that at some point a lot of the basics you've already learned. And in some ways, things you're more familiar with might be detrimental because A) You're over familiar with a topic and are using outside knowledge to occlude your opinions and analysis of passages/questions or B) You don't review certain topics because they're so second nature to you, but when it comes down to regurgitating or applying a topic's rudiments, you might trip yourself up. So in my self-studying with better materials (I'm using the SN2 books because if they're sufficient for self-study they honestly should be sufficient for any self-study plan and so far they've been good... although I do realize when I practice FL's and recognize my weaknesses, I will have to go back and really fully master the material I'm currently kind of just "going through."), I am also benefiting from personal instruction with a teacher. Not all course teachers are good though. Mine, fortunately, is. And it also keeps me on track and teachers me to view material in different ways. And if I slack off with self-studying, at least I know I will have to go to class 3 times a week.

Definitely not necessary though, just something that helps me. And I was given a big course discount so it worked out that way.

What verbal strategy do you think was the most beneficial? I've been taking the Kaplan course, but I'm still struggling to see much improvement in verbal.... I heard from some people that examcrackers is the way to go..
How has your time management been with the verbal section? I like using Examkracker's verbal strategy because they teach tactics you can use to avoid going back to the passage as much as possible. But like everything else, it takes practice. When I was using the Kaplan method, I found myself rushing to finish when I got to the last 2 passages. So working on my time management alone, my score has gone up a couple points. I really want to get higher than a 10 on the real test.

Alright guys I've been pretty jet lagged the past week since I've been back but I'm starting to study for real today.

10 weeks to go, going to kick out content review in 4 weeks. How are you guys holding up

Reactions: 1 users
Alright guys I've been pretty jet lagged the past week since I've been back but I'm starting to study for real today.

10 weeks to go, going to kick out content review in 4 weeks. How are you guys holding up

whens your exam???

Im starting studying today too =] good luck y'alls!
edit: no i didn't

Last edited:
Almost done content review. Got a couple more chapters of physics and chem left. Went through a bit of the TBR Verbal book and the passages don't seem that bad/much harder or easier than TPRH or EK101. Not sure why all the hate on TBR Verbal from these forums. Starting practice tests in a couple of weeks and then just practice problems the days in between.

Almost done content review. Got a couple more chapters of physics and chem left. Went through a bit of the TBR Verbal book and the passages don't seem that bad/much harder or easier than TPRH or EK101. Not sure why all the hate on TBR Verbal from these forums. Starting practice tests in a couple of weeks and then just practice problems the days in between.

I am kinda in the same boat.. how are you going to make sure the material sticks from let's say July-Sept =/ I am afraid ending content too early will make me just forget everything by then.

Also when you say practice material what do you plan to use? I am assuming you've already used your TBR for content review? Thanks btw! :)

Yeah I recommend mcatreview.org. Just understand the concepts. And for practice I'll be using Kaplan topicals and section tests, along with TPRH Science Workbook and maybe going back through some of TBR but I did this last year already.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I recommend mcatreview.org. Just understand the concepts. And for practice I'll be using Kaplan topicals and section tests, along with TPRH Science Workbook and maybe going back through some of TBR but I did this last year already.
Thank you for the link!! It seems like mcatreview has everything we need to know then?

Going to get back into it tomorrow. I'll be alternating between a chapter of TBR Orgo and Bio everyday, with 3 verbal passages daily (except Wednesday, where I'll be doing a full length verbal test each Wed.).
I've done a bit of TBR GC and Physics, so if I have extra time after studying BS topics, i'll review that. Going to take a full length July 13th.

Also, I've postponed my exam twice; initially had it for April 24th, then moved to July 2nd. Currently A Sept. 6th test taker. I promise I won't postpone anymore!

Also, I've postponed my exam twice; initially had it for April 24th, then moved to July 2nd. Currently A Sept. 6th test taker. I promise I won't postpone anymore!
Same here, postponed from April 24 to September 6th, and I'm a retaker.

Decided I needed a vacation before MCAT so I went to Thailand for 5 weeks. Now it's time to kick it into gear

How's everyone doing?
Just finished content review. Gonna start FLs soon. Need to go over acid/base stuff, bit of stuff on lenses and orgo mechanisms.

How's everyone doing?
Just finished content review. Gonna start FLs soon. Need to go over acid/base stuff, bit of stuff on lenses and orgo mechanisms.

Just started biology review today, once done with that its off to passages from tprh science workbook and FL's (hopefully around late july/early aug).

I should be done with content review within the next 2-3 weeks. How do you all plan to retain the information? Flashcards?

Will be done with PS Berkeley books in the next two weeks. Ill incorporate BS studying while taking FL's, and I practice verbal daily.

First and (hopefully last!) time taking the MCAT. Started light/general content review in June, and took my first AAMC in July. Didn't get anywhere close to where I'd like to be...biology is the bane of my existence :(. I just can't understand the passages when I read them (but when I review the answers I'm like wtf that makes total logical sense why didn't I think of that?!?!). Going to spot-check my weaker spots (endocrine, digestive and renal systems; memorizing molecular bio stuff) and do practice passages/non-AAMC full lengths for this month, and then doing full lengths and the Self-Assessment in August.

If only I could raise my verbal by 1-2 points...how difficult is that??