The Official September 6, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit early, but post here if you're writing on this date. For me, it's looking to be third time's the charm hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much done and dusted. I'm going through mcatreview.org today and just forming a mental picture of everything conceptually. Tomorrow and Friday I'm taking completely off. All the best guys!

As for Saturday, I don't want to have anything planned so that I'm focused solely on the test.
Oh wow haha I can't take 2 days off I'm too neurotic for that. But I wish I could

Reactions: 1 user
Damn guys, test day is almost here. Did you guys make any special plans for friday? Better yet, any special plans for saturday night?

Taking tomorrow off for the Seahawks game (LEGGOOOOOO) and then some light studying friday. Then im driving down to portland after, I have some friends taking the MCAT same day and time so we're gonna live it up =)

Yeah I wanted to plan something super fun for saturday night but realized I wouldn't be focused enough if I had something too fun to look forward to. I think I'll hold off on the celebrations til next weekend. But the real celebration doesnt happen til we all (hopefully) get satisfactory scores

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on reviewing my past AAMCs and SAs. Decided against taking 11, as doing poorly is just going to mess with my mental state. Going in for a relaxing spa day *saved up money for this...because I have a tendency to be super neurotic the day before* on Friday before some light studying. Good luck everyone....

Did anyone else feel like they went through the 5 stages of grief while MCAT studying?

Maybe I'll review a bit more tomorrow too lol won't hurt I think. But what the hell to do about verbal!?!

Maybe I'll review a bit more tomorrow too lol won't hurt I think. But what the hell to do about verbal!?!

Im just gonna go through some passages everyday untimed and hope the adrenaline helps me focus and get a good score on the real deal. Thats about all i can do at this point

Yes. Granted, this is my third time around studying for the test (sat for it once, but voided my score, so have no past attempts per se).

At this point, I'm at the point of no return (Stage 5 = Acceptance). My applications are in and I'll accept whatever my score is come Saturday.

Did anyone else feel like they went through the 5 stages of grief while MCAT studying?

Just wrote AAMC #9

12 - 9 - 13

Wtf my verbal went down A LOT...

This exam was really helpful in letting know where my weaknesses are though, particularly in PS.

It looks like I'll be scoring a 34 on the real thing...

Edit: Apparently I can't do elementary school division either...:smack:

My Verbal so far:
2 months out:
EK 1 – 10
AAMC 3 – 9
EK 2 – 10
1 month out:
EK 3 - 10
TPR – 9
EK 4 - 10
AAMC Verbal Self Assessment 1 – 12 (36/40)
AAMC Verbal Self Assessment 2 - 10 (32/40)
AAMC Verbal Self Assessment 3 – 9 (28/40)
EK 5 – 11
2 weeks out:
EK 6 – 10
Kaplan 1 – 12
EK 7 – 11
Kaplan 2 – 12
EK 8 – 11
1 week out:
AAMC 11 – 11
Kaplan 3 – 12
AAMC 10 – 11

Should I focus more on the rest of the EKs or do Kaplans or do more AAMC? I only want to do more AAMC if it'll help my score because they are pretty expensive. How accurate are these tests? Are Kaplan tests easier than average? I would love to hit 11+ on the real thing.

Alright well I'm kind of rly weirded out by my AAMC 11 score..

AAMC 11 - 35 (11/10/14)

Scores 2 points below what I usually get on PS.. For the second time in a row. Guess I'm doing PS only tomorrow. Also my VR was pretty fluke since I guessed the last question right without even reading it. I'm crushing EK 101 the next 2 days as well as doing as many TPRH science passages as possible.

I honestly need to have a miracle on the MCAT for my VR

AAMC 11 - 35 (11/10/14)

Scores 2 points below what I usually get on PS.. For the second time in a row. Guess I'm doing PS only tomorrow. Also my VR was pretty fluke since I guessed the last question right without even reading it. I'm crushing EK 101 the next 2 days as well as doing as many TPRH science passages as possible.

Hey - you got your 10 on VR at least!

AAMC 11 - 35 (11/10/14)

That BS score is something to be proud of though I thought that BS section was the hardest of any of the AAMCs.

Almost all of the points I got off in PS was because I forgot to include gravitational acceleration in pretty much all of the calculations of force and work and crap. WTF!!

Members don't see this ad :)

AAMC 11 - 35 (11/10/14)

I would kill for your score. I just finished AAMC 11- 30 (10/10/10). I guess I should work on PS and BS a little before Saturday.

So what is everyone doing today and tomorrow? What are your realistic expectations? How ready do you feel?

I just took AAMC 10 today and hit a 32! 12/10/10. There's still hope in verbal! Realistic expectations in terms of scores are in the 26-32 range. It's scary because I've been struggling to score 30+ on aamc FL's.

Tomorrow I'm just gonna do 2 random passages in my weakest areas of physics, chem, ochem, and bio in TPRH. I'm also getting an hour long massage in the afternoon and maybe I'll go out for a couple drinks with some friends :thumbup::thumbup:

Today and tomorrow, I'm just casually reading through notes on topics that I'm rusty on or still a bit shaky on, doing some practice passages and just reviewing over old exams. Nothing too exhausting.

Part of me would be fine with my AAMC average ~35. Part of me wouldn't be. And part of me is hoping that being in the moment and having extra confidence will allow me to get those few extra questions and get a 37-38. A friend of mine just did really well on her MCAT, 40+, after getting sub-40 on all her AAMC exams. So it's really just like a call to action thing, I feel like.

Aiming for a 36, which is the highest score I've gotten on the AAMC tests (got a 36 three times), but hoping for nothing below a 33. Would love it if the adrenaline and extra focus of the moment would translate to a few more points. Just did AAMC 10 untimed just so I could diagnose problem areas and not get worn out at the same time. It seemed a lot easier to me than 11 but that could definitely have been due to not being as stressed as I may have been under timed conditions. Just reading over review notes of problem areas and whatnot. Most of my mistakes come from misinterpretation or misreading or straight up absence of knowledge (I had no idea what a vole was on that BS problem on AAMC 10), so the best I can do for that is just remind myself to take it slow and focus on the real deal.

Wishin everyone good luck

Can't believe we're finally here. I remember looking at the
Aiming for a 36, which is the highest score I've gotten on the AAMC tests (got a 36 three times), but hoping for nothing below a 33. Would love it if the adrenaline and extra focus of the moment would translate to a few more points. Just did AAMC 10 untimed just so I could diagnose problem areas and not get worn out at the same time. It seemed a lot easier to me than 11 but that could definitely have been due to not being as stressed as I may have been under timed conditions. Just reading over review notes of problem areas and whatnot. Most of my mistakes come from misinterpretation or misreading or straight up absence of knowledge (I had no idea what a vole was on that BS problem on AAMC 10), so the best I can do for that is just remind myself to take it slow and focus on the real deal.

Wishin everyone good luck

LOL that vole question....I was like :wtf: I had no idea but it seemed like mouse was the most probable answer and I guessed right. still super annoying though.

I just took AAMC 10 today and hit a 32! 12/10/10. There's still hope in verbal! Realistic expectations in terms of scores are in the 26-32 range. It's scary because I've been struggling to score 30+ on aamc FL's.

Tomorrow I'm just gonna do 2 random passages in my weakest areas of physics, chem, ochem, and bio in TPRH. I'm also getting an hour long massage in the afternoon and maybe I'll go out for a couple drinks with some friends :thumbup::thumbup:
I would highly discourage having any alcohol the day before your exam. You don't want anything messing with your head the next day. Just my 0.02$

Today and tomorrow, I'm just casually reading through notes on topics that I'm rusty on or still a bit shaky on, doing some practice passages and just reviewing over old exams. Nothing too exhausting.

Part of me would be fine with my AAMC average ~35. Part of me wouldn't be. And part of me is hoping that being in the moment and having extra confidence will allow me to get those few extra questions and get a 37-38. A friend of mine just did really well on her MCAT, 40+, after getting sub-40 on all her AAMC exams. So it's really just like a call to action thing, I feel like.
Getting 38 or 42 is basically luck that differentiates it

Getting 38 or 42 is basically luck that differentiates it

Right. I mean she said the highest she had ever done was a 37 or something and had scored below that sometimes (~34) so she was pleasantly surprised with above a 40.

I just really want a 36+.

Friday I plan to review my notebook of common errors, some quick sheets, and watch one of the Hunger Games movies.

Realistically I am hoping for a conceptual PS (which Gchem calculations) verbal like AAMC 10 or 11 and a BS with minimal Ochem focusing on physiology/reproduction :D

GL errrybody

Friday I plan to review my notebook of common errors, some quick sheets, and watch one of the Hunger Games movies.

Realistically I am hoping for a conceptual PS (which Gchem calculations) verbal like AAMC 10 or 11 and a BS with minimal Ochem focusing on physiology/reproduction :D

GL errrybody

Haha I'm like the opposite, would rather have conceptual Gchem and physics calculcations if I had to choose. And lots of Ochem... or seven passages on the kidney :laugh:

GL errrybody

Sounds like the MCAT today I took had. super PS conceptual ideas with a fair mix of gchem except it was conceptual gchem and not a lot of calculations. Also had like i think 2 orgo passages that werent too bad and a lot more physiology than I expected but I like physio so I didn't mind

Reactions: 1 users
Hope we get a decent MCAT on Saturday! Or..at least give me areas I'm strong in haha. AAMC Avg was about 33 (had two outliers? and then just 33 across the board over and over again). Hoping for a 35+ but won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Last 2 AAMCs were super close though..I was always 1 question off from scoring an additional point in each section.

Went and bought some clothes for school today, just to get my mind off things. Tried reviewing a bit but it's not working. I think it's best to take to just relax until Saturday.

lol, i doubt you can get more conceptual in the ps than the august 15th one i voided. I'm riding this boat with you guys, this time no voiding.

I was forced to void a test a while ago as well (though, there were a number of factors). No voiding for me this time either.

I don't mind conceptual as long as it is not all abstract physics concepts. I'm looking forward to getting this test behind me and getting my life back. Granted, I have secondaries to work on for the rest of the month.

Pre-test, I'm predicting a 10/10/10 (for a personal best). We'll see how that changes post-test. Have been 1 question away from a 10 on PS for the last few AAMCs, so would be thrilled to finally end up with a 10 on the actual test.

lol, i doubt you can get more conceptual in the ps than the august 15th one i voided. I'm riding this boat with you guys, this time no voiding.

Well just crushed 40 passages today in TPRH science book. Going to do probably same tomorrow and some verbal then call it quits by 8pm

Just wanted to post wishing good luck to all. Going to look over my notes one final time, buy supplies and prep for tomorrow, and then have a little fun. Crossing my fingers for that 30, but will be content in the 27+ arena as I'm applying primarily to D.O.

PS - I just got a call from my testing center saying that I needed to arrive 1 hr before the test or would not be allowed to sit for it. This is different from the testing center I took at last time (granted, it was in another state). Just an FYI, for those of you in NY, this might be the case for you.

Never been more nervous for a test, but I know we're gonna kill this y'all stay confident :)

Trying out some new earplugs today (Hearos Xtreme Protection) since the Ultra Soft or whatever weren't really doing it for me.

Are you guys planning to use the noise-reducing headphones they provide?

Trying out some new earplugs today (Hearos Xtreme Protection) since the Ultra Soft or whatever weren't really doing it for me.

Will be wearing earplugs under the headphones.. thats what all my friends said they did. I heard there are people there taking other tests like the CPA, GRE and some tests allow open notes/book which can be distracting? I need all the noise-cancelling I can get..

Will be wearing earplugs under the headphones.. thats what all my friends said they did. I heard there are people there taking other tests like the CPA, GRE and some tests allow open notes/book which can be distracting? I need all the noise-cancelling I can get..

Did they comment on the comfort of the headphones? I just hope they're not so uncomfortable that it starts hurting my head and making me distracted. Maybe I'm just extra paranoid :p

And wuuuut I didn't know there were administrations of different tests on the same day!

Did they comment on the comfort of the headphones? I just hope they're not so uncomfortable that it starts hurting my head and making me distracted. Maybe I'm just extra paranoid :p

And wuuuut I didn't know there were administrations of different tests on the same day!

They didn't particularly complain I think you'll be alright.

And I know right? That was news to me too..

I was under the impression that it was gonna be a room full of MCAT students and everyone in the room will be doing the right-hand rule at around the same :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The noise-reducing headphones in my last test were super tight and hurt after a while (that was in Northern CA). I've heard this varies from test center to test center.

I love the Laser Lite ear plugs (though, watch the video on youtube on how to insert them, since I used to think they were horrid until I learned that I wasn't inserting them quite right).

I also found it mildly annoying that not everyone is taking the test at the same time or even the same test (so no matter what, you'll hear doors open and closing throughout your test b/c people start/finish at different times. Definitely learn to ignore the sound of a door opening and closing. I really hope that I don't get seated by a door, which is likely the worst seat in the house).

12/8/10 Kaplan test 4
12/9/12 Kaplan test 5
14/10/11 Kaplan test 6

Im just working on getting that verbal up! It seems so difficult... this will be round 2

The noise-reducing headphones in my last test were super tight and hurt after a while (that was in Northern CA). I've heard this varies from test center to test center.

I love the Laser Lite ear plugs (though, watch the video on youtube on how to insert them, since I used to think they were horrid until I learned that I wasn't inserting them quite right).

I also found it mildly annoying that not everyone is taking the test at the same time or even the same test (so no matter what, you'll hear doors open and closing throughout your test b/c people start/finish at different times. Definitely learn to ignore the sound of a door opening and closing. I really hope that I don't get seated by a door, which is likely the worst seat in the house).

I'll be taking it in SF - hopefully they aren't the super tight headphones that you're talking about ;_;

Just Wrote AAMC # 10

11 - 10 - 14

I finally did it broskis! Hit my 35 with a 14 in BS :love:.

Not gonna lie though, I wanted to cry after that Physics section. It was brutal. I didn't even want to bother with Verbal reasoning afterwards either. LOL @ that Particle Accelerator passage - 0 ****s were understood and not given.

One away from a 15 in BS though. I guess I can't be too greedy :p.