The Official September 6, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit early, but post here if you're writing on this date. For me, it's looking to be third time's the charm hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 09/06/14
Time: 1PM
FL AAMC Average: 30 (range: 28-32)
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 30
Post-test expected score: No idea
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 9/8/11- 28

Pretty disappointed right now... I got my average scores in verbal and bio, but never scored below a 10 in PS in any of my practice tests. I'm realizing even in the best possible scenario I'd maybe score a 31/32 on a retake but I'm not sure if its worth it.

Hmm, that's a tough one. Are you still in school?

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 8/11/9- 28

I've decided to chime in here... To retake, not to retake, that is THE question. I guess I am happy that the score is not too far below what I expected this time around. I really need to get this score up to 31-33 range coupled with my 3.5 GPA... Can anyone share what they have learned about what it takes to raise the score, and give your feelings on that? I am scheduled for January 15th, 1pm. Here's to another 3 months!!!!.
Also... I am off class this semester doing research and in case I wanted to retake the exam in January before the dreaded change. This test's bio section was ROUGH and I was banking on the bio section being a 10. Anyway, while I am doing research, with no classes, I can invest the next three months and do it again. I just don't know if it is worth it... Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
MrTaco... looks like we have pretty much the same situation! 28 here too... Do you plan to retake?
Right now a part of me doesn't wanna retake because 1. I hate studying for the mcat, and 2. I still scored within 2 points of my average. But then another part of me knows that I can do better, and some schools do just take your highest score. So I'll have to think about it for the rest of the week. I just drowned my sorrows in a 20 piece mcnuggets box which didnt help at all, but it was delicious.

Hmm, that's a tough one. Are you still in school?
I just graduated in May actually, but I'm working part time and doing research so it'll be a bit tougher to find a lot of time between now and January to study. Still, I wouldn't be starting from scratch this time but either way I'd need to devote a lot of time to this potential retake

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Right now a part of me doesn't wanna retake because 1. I hate studying for the mcat, and 2. I still scored within 2 points of my average. But then another part of me knows that I can do better, and some schools do just take your highest score. So I'll have to think about it for the rest of the week. I just drowned my sorrows in a 20 piece mcnuggets box which didnt help at all, but it was delicious.

I just graduated in May actually, but I'm working part time and doing research so it'll be a bit tougher to find a lot of time between now and January to study. Still, I wouldn't be starting from scratch this time but either way I'd need to devote a lot of time to this potential retake
I feel EXACTLY the same way. Working and doing research. We are pre-med twins haha. Just got off the phone with my friend who is a 4th year at Boston U and she told me she got a 28 HER first time. She then locked herself in an apartment for 2 months and retook it to get a 31. Then... She had acceptances at 4 different schools and took her pick! I think the fact that we have decent scores to start with is a good sign. And by decent I mean pretty close to our goal score.

Last edited:
So many people asking for PMs. I just canceled my Jan. Test date riiiiiiiiiiiight now SoCal here :D

Time: 1:00 pm
FL AAMC Average: 27
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: AAMC 10 (28), AAMC 11 (30)
Post-test expected score: 24-28
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 8/7/8 (23)

Literally devastated considering all the studying I put in over 3 months. Did not remotely see this coming. I just signed up for 10/21 retake (2 weeks, wish me luck lmfao).

If anyone has any retake advice I'd love to hear it.

congrats to everyone who did well.
My advice is... can you put this off a bit further? Everything reputable says to take the time and do something different to address your weaknesses or the reality is, you won't see a better score. I am going to retake it in January to raise up my 28 to hopefully 33... and spending the next 3 months with that as my main priority. I don't know what your situation is but it is HIGHLY advisable to give yourself more time so you don't have to go through this yet again!

Just wanted to say, anyone who didn't get the score you want/need, it is one test on one day. Don't give up on your dream because of one test. I know I started off with a low GPA my first two years, but then something clicked for me. I think all of us on here can get in if we work hard enough.

Reactions: 3 users
so I don't want to be that guy but I just became premed a few months ago so I'm not entirely certain. a 36 is going to be competitive pretty much at most schools right? Considering my program of study/GPA is above a 3.65 etc. I'm a bioengineering/chem major at a top 8 university if that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
so I don't want to be that guy but I just became premed a few months ago so I'm not entirely certain. a 36 is going to be competitive pretty much at most schools right? Considering my program of study/GPA is above a 3.65 etc. I'm a bioengineering/chem major at a top 8 university if that helps.
Do you really need our opunion here? Of course 36 mcat is competitive anywhere.

Sounds like you'll be pretty busy despite being out of school. I would ask myself what schools I was aiming for, what else I have on my applications (GPA, EC's, etc.) I would also call some of my top choice schools and ask them if my scores were competitive enough, and make a decision based on that and my schedule (I did this to decide whether or not to apply to certain schools).

Beast.

I feel EXACTLY the same way. Working and doing research. We are pre-med twins haha. Just got off the phone with my friend who is a 4th year at Boston U and she told me she got a 28 HER first time. She then locked herself in an apartment for 2 months and retook it to get a 31. Then... She had acceptances at 4 different schools and took her pick! I think the fact that we have decent scores to start with is a good sign. And by decent I mean pretty close to our goal score.

Yeah so I'm actually leaning more toward a retake at this point since Im already registered for one in January. But maybe I'll do what @drewpreMD suggested first and then decide. My job is pretty flexible so I can always request for some days off here and there

FL AAMC Average: 29-34
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 30?
Post-test expected score: 28-35
Actual Score: 32

Last edited:
Time: 1pm
FL AAMC Average: 34 (13/9/12)
Post-test expected score: 35 (13/9/13)
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 37 (12/10/15)

Very happy with this result!! Verbal was such a struggle for me, and getting the score I need to be in a competitive range for Canadian med schools just feels awesome. For anyone who is still struggling with verbal, it may just take another try or two to get the score you want/need. I was surprised bio went so well, but orgo has always been a strong suit for me. I am very happy with this result, considering I rewrote from the July 24th test (14/8/12). Congrats to those who got the score that they need, and best of luck to those rewriting - never let a test weed you from attaining your dreams.

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: 34 (13/9/12)
Post-test expected score: 35 (13/9/13)
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 37 (12/10/15)

Very happy with this result!! Verbal was such a struggle for me, and getting the score I need to be in a competitive range for Canadian med schools just feels awesome. For anyone who is still struggling with verbal, it may just take another try or two to get the score you want/need. I was surprised bio went so well, but orgo has always been a strong suit for me. I am very happy with this result, considering I rewrote from the July 24th test (14/8/12). Congrats to those who got the score that they need, and best of luck to those rewriting - never let a test weed you from attaining your dreams.
Is post test expected score your actual score?

Is post test expected score your actual score?
No, my post-test expected score is how I felt the test went. I just felt like dividing it up into sections cause I know how I felt post-test. My actual score is my actual score.

FL AAMC Average: 29-34
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 30?
Post-test expected score: 28-35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 9/14/9 (32)

I am going to have to retake. As a career changer (former attorney), it isn't surprising that I would crush the VR section. If there was ever an unbalanced 32 MCAT score, this would be it. Really disappointed I didn't hit 10+ on the PS and BS sections because that was where I was consistently practicing. 32 is a nice score given that I studied 2 months while working full-time, but I'm really worried medical schools won't like it at all.
Are you applying to top tier schools? If not, I would say what you have there is competitive. I just think sometimes we can overdo the efforts for the same outcome and yours could be one of those situations. Unless you are confident you can for sure raise those 9's to 11's, it may not be worth it. Also, the difference in chance of acceptance between a 33 and 35 is only marginal. After all, the Mcat is really a tool to get your app through the computer screening and in front of a human being, is it not?

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 8/11/9- 28

I've decided to chime in here... To retake, not to retake, that is THE question. I guess I am happy that the score is not too far below what I expected this time around. I really need to get this score up to 31-33 range coupled with my 3.5 GPA... Can you guys please share what you have learned about what it takes to raise the score, and give your feelings on that? I am scheduled for January 15th, 1pm. Here's to another 3 months!!!!.

Wow I just saw this post now and realized we really are pre-med twins. Only thing is I kinda prefer dogs over cats

If anyone is cancelling their January seat in Cali, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington or anywhere else please PM me. Will be rescheduling :(

FL AAMC Average: 27.25 (26-31)
Kaplan Average: 28 (25-32)
AAMC 10-11 Average: 26
Post Test Expectations: Something not good, but hoping for a miracle
Actual Score: 8/6/10 (24)

Well, that was a huge blow. With everything that went wrong on my test date I should have just taken it as a sign and voided. I really didn't think it was going to be that bad considering my diagnostic was a 21 before 3 months of doing nothing but studying. I really don't know how to feel right now. Hopefully a January spot opens up somewhere, but then again I don't even know if I could focus on studying with school and research. Feeling pretty lost right now :( :( :( Like I don't even know what to study over again or how. Going over my tests, content wasn't the issue, it was the passage based nature and especially timing. I rarely finished PS and VR on time and would end up completely guessing on 1-2 passages. On the actual exam, I had a panic attach during PS and spent a good 5 mins calming myself down, yet I finisjed on time leading me to think I must have skipped a passage. I also had to guess on at least 1 passage on PS and left a few Bio questions blank. The few times I finished on time on practice exams, I would score 11's in PS and VR, and got up to 14 on BS. I'm definitely glad I waited until the end of the day to check. Any advice on studying from the 30+ crew?

Well, that was a huge blow. With everything that went wrong on my test date I should have just taken it as a sign and voided. I really didn't think it was going to be that bad considering my diagnostic was a 21 before 3 months of doing nothing but studying. I really don't know how to feel right now. Hopefully a January spot opens up somewhere, but then again I don't even know if I could focus on studying with school and research. Feeling pretty lost right now :( :( :( Like I don't even know what to study over again or how. Going over my tests, content wasn't the issue, it was the passage based nature and especially timing. I rarely finished PS and VR on time and would end up completely guessing on 1-2 passages. On the actual exam, I had a panic attach during PS and spent a good 5 mins calming myself down, yet I finisjed on time leading me to think I must have skipped a passage. I also had to guess on at least 1 passage on PS and left a few Bio questions blank. The few times I finished on time on practice exams, I would score 11's in PS and VR, and got up to 14 on BS. I'm definitely glad I waited until the end of the day to check. Any advice on studying from the 30+ crew?

Don't take it again until you've got the timing down. For me, timing is an issue (I don't get to double check) but I NEVER have to make any pure guesses or leave anything blank. Doing either of those things is surely going to hit your score hard and really steals your chance to showcase what you know. Practice until you can get fast enough.

For PS, I would recommend quickly scanning questions before reading the passage. I find that AAMC tends to offer really detailed and complex experiments in PS, but end up asking really easy and straightforward questions (sometimes). If they happen to ask questions like "suppose the magnesium was not entirely dry, how would this affect x variable," I would tackle these relationship problems last cause they tend to be most time-consuming. For long calculation questions, you may just want to mark it and just go back. It's not worth guessing on multiple passages cause you may be missing out on easy questions.

For BS, in terms of finishing more quickly, I would recommend going through all passages that are non-experiment based first. Pick out any easy physiology/orgo/free-standing questions and then tackle those time-consuming experiments last. Spend the rest of your time in BS drawing (yea, literally drawing) out the experimental procedure, making sure you have all the relationships correct before you go on to answer questions. Best of luck!

Wow I just saw this post now and realized we really are pre-med twins. Only thing is I kinda prefer dogs over cats
Too bad there is not an MDOG exam for you then... :p.
Anyway I will be retaking in January as well. Best of luck to you. I am sure given the time and motivation we have, we can do this!!!!!!

I have never scored under 10 in VR practice exams and on the 9/6 exam scored 11. And it is because I always remember to think about the passage and questions from the AUTHOR's perspective. It is all about the author's stance and motivation for writing the piece, nothing else. EK Verbal book outlines this strategy very well, and IMO it is the only way to conquer it.

Last edited:
Is there anyone dropping their Jan seat anywhere around Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin...etc please PM me.

NEW DATES OPEN IN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER !!!! :soexcited:

Just booked mine in my city!

Yay! I registered for 12/6. So, this should give me ample time to prep. My initial test date was 11/7. I was sweating it!!! I didn't wanna go to Guam!!!! Lol

FL AAMC Average: 31
AAMC 10-11 Average: 31.5
Post Test Expectations: After every practice test, I felt like I got a 25. And coming out of this, I didn't feel terrible but didn't feel good either. I didn't know what to expect honestly. I was hoping for my average.
Actual Score: 12/8/11 (31)

Honestly, I got what I wanted, I just wanted the scores to be even throughout. Do you think I should retake on account of my verbal? When I was taking the first 5 practice mcats (3-8), I was getting a consistent 10-11 in verbal. But then my last few 9 and 10, I got 8s. I freaked out. Took all the princeton review verbals, and on 11, I brought it up to a 9 hoping that somehow I'd be at a 10 again on the real mcat. Walking out of the verbal that day, I felt so great, I honestly thought I'd get a 13 and I thought I did terrible in other sections. Sigh, my gut feeling really sucks at figuring things out. But, what do you guys think about retaking for verbal? I would be taking the 2015 though.
Most schools cut-off individual sections at 7 or lower, meaning 8 is the minimum acceptable score for any section regardless of the total score. Seeing as how you met the '31' comfort zone (the average for matriculated students) and did not score under 8 on any section, if I were you, I would DEFINITELY keep this MCAT if you can't take it before the change... NO WAY do you want to study for a totally new test, right? If you can retake it in January, that is a possibility. However, there is no sure way to know you can score better on VR, as in that section is not learnable like BS/PS. So all in all, I would say keep it unless you are applying to top tier schools.

Time: 1:00 pm
FL AAMC Average: 32
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 31
Post-test expected score: 26
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 32 (11/10/11)

I took the MCAT back in June and I got a 25 (9/7/9) which was not what I was hoping. I spent the next two months where I committed to 250 passage + stand alone questions per day before I took it again in September. However after the test I felt miserable not only because on the physical science part I ran out of time and had to guess 7 questions but also I felt like I had to guess on almost half of the questions on the verbal section. I did feel good on the bio section but I knew that that wasn't gonna make up for my horrible mistakes on physical science and verbal.
Yesterday afternoon as I went on the AAMC website with the intention of checking my scores I also prepared myself to spend the next three months just burying myself in a pile of MCAT prep books as if the past 6 months was not enough. But to my surprise I got a 32!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a 10 on the verbal and 11 on the physical science section.. I can only assume that I was very lucky when I guessed on those questions.. I do not miss those studying days and I'm just glad I don't have to relive it anymore. If anyone is taking the MCAT this year and happens to live near the Seattle area and would like to take my Princeton Review books let me know I would be HAPPY to give them away.

Reactions: 4 users
FL AAMC Average: 32-30
Post-test expected score: 28-34
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/8/11 (31)

**** guys, I dont know what to do. My schedule is packed this semester with EC & 17 credits & research. I was hoping to hit at least a 9 in verbal and a 12 in BS, but I guess i fell short. I just registered for the new test date, but am starting to think how i can legitimately improve my score. I know that i will have to hit a 12, 10, 12 and nothing lower, for it to not count against me. As of right now, that's going to take a whole lot of time to prep for. Verbal has always been my weakness, i managed to bring it up form a 5 to an 8, but i have hit a 10 only once. What do you guys think i should do?

31 is not a bad score. Verbal is such a crapshoot... I would just stay with what you have. The other scores are solid.

FL AAMC Average: 32-30
Post-test expected score: 28-34
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/8/11 (31)

**** guys, I dont know what to do. My schedule is packed this semester with EC & 17 credits & research. I was hoping to hit at least a 9 in verbal and a 12 in BS, but I guess i fell short. I just registered for the new test date, but am starting to think how i can legitimately improve my score. I know that i will have to hit a 12, 10, 12 and nothing lower, for it to not count against me. As of right now, that's going to take a whole lot of time to prep for. Verbal has always been my weakness, i managed to bring it up form a 5 to an 8, but i have hit a 10 only once. What do you guys think i should do?
If you have only scored a 10 once, scoring at least a 10 is going to be very difficult without a couple months practice and a few more practice tests with at least 10's in verbal. Unless you can get legitimate practice scoring >10 your walking a thin line

congrats to all you guys who achieved your desired scores! I just had a question since you guys already took the beast, and all the practice tests. Do you think for organic it is adequate to understand sn1/sn2 e1/e1, R/S config, shapes, acid/base strength, lab techniques (IR, HNMR, TLC separation etc), nomenclature etc? I am basically just hesitant to dedicate a huge chunk of time to memorizing the orgo 2 mechanisms which can get quite involved. Please let me know what you think. I take 11/7.

congrats to all you guys who achieved your desired scores! I just had a question since you guys already took the beast, and all the practice tests. Do you think for organic it is adequate to understand sn1/sn2 e1/e1, R/S config, shapes, acid/base strength, lab techniques (IR, HNMR, TLC separation etc), nomenclature etc? I am basically just hesitant to dedicate a huge chunk of time to memorizing the orgo 2 mechanisms which can get quite involved. Please let me know what you think. I take 11/7.
Those of us who took this exam may be biased away from the normally stated orgo to the minimum approach because this BS section was orgo-heavy! But what I can tell you that applies to any exam is that it is not the orgo2 mechanisms to focus on, but WHY one rxn would take place instead of another... that is the idea with the more 'advanced' orgo knowledge for MCAT.

Advice request: PLEASE provide input on how to improve scores in PS and BS.
I would like to go from 8 to 10 in PS and 9 to 11 in BS. I have 3 months to do this.