The Official September 6, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit early, but post here if you're writing on this date. For me, it's looking to be third time's the charm hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so I wanted to take a FL that isn't AAMC and I kind of want something more challenging, I was thinking about buying 1 or 2 GS tests. Any suggestions on which ones I should get?

Kaplan Diag: 9/6/10- 25
FL1: 9/7/11- 27
FL2: 12/8/14- 34
FL3: 12/7/15- 34
FL4: 13/12/11- 36
FL5: 11/8/14- 33
AAMC3: 13/9/12- 34
AAMC4: 12/9/11- 32
AAMC5: 11/9/13- 33

With about 2 weeks until the MCAT, anyone have any advice on how to get to/over that 10 hump on VR? Most of the time I do well on many of the passages (get most of the questions right, if not all) but theres always one of two where I get most of the questions wrong..

And how to manage my PS and BS; it seems like its always I do great on one at the expense of the other.. Any study advice or whatnot on how to get the most out of both of those?

Thanks for the help and consideration!!

Hey guys so I wanted to take a FL that isn't AAMC and I kind of want something more challenging, I was thinking about buying 1 or 2 GS tests. Any suggestions on which ones I should get?

Try the free one and see how you like it. I just took it today. I felt like it was pretty close to an AAMC. The PS was calculation heavy. I think it would be good practice so I ended up buying ten tests on ebay (you save 50 bucks). This way I don't waste all the AAMC's so quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've written TPR FL #1-5 and one of the TPR MCAT Review Online tests along with AAMC 5 (which I had never written). What should I go through next? The rest of the FLs I have written before (AAMC). Maybe GS?

Scored 13/11/15 on AAMC 10. First time ever getting perfect on a section. Quite pleased!

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, does anyone else think sometimes TPRH SW words things VERY strangely (but not as strange as EK)? I remember one PS question about activation energy but instead of saying activation energy or even "energy of activation", they say " energy of activation complex", which confused me. I was like "WTF just say activation E! weirdo". I feel like 25% of my missed Qs in TPRH is due to semantics/misreading. Definitely rubs me the wrong way. THAT being said, sometimes I thought AAMC worded things strangely in AAMC 5 (although I thought 3, 4 and 7 were better written...especially 7; they did a good job testing various topics and really exposing my weakness. All of the PS Q's I missed were things I just needed to know better/I flat out didn't know the material and there was only one BS question I missed because I wasn't paying attention..everything else was because I couldn't extract the necessary information, or I just straight up couldn't figure it out/didn't know it).

Wow, did GS cuz I heard their PS was more difficult so wanted to challenge myself and all I can say is I hope the actual MCAT isn't like that. Such long calculations, and more convoluted stuff. Got a 34 11/11/12

Last edited:
Holy **** that's amazing. Congrats!

Thanks dude! I'm planning on doing 2 more FLs, maybe 3. You think I should do the GS one under timed conditions? I'd like to do it in any case, just to see what the heavy calculations are all about, but don't wanna waste a slot for a FL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dude! I'm planning on doing 2 more FLs, maybe 3. You think I should do the GS one under timed conditions? I'd like to do it in any case, just to see what the heavy calculations are all about, but don't wanna waste a slot for a FL.
I think you should do it under timed conditions just to get a feel of what the MCAT could look like if they throw a RIDICULOUSLY calculation heavy and hard PS section. Honestly I have been scoring 13-14 consistent in PS and that exam took me by surprise. Nonetheless, I still think u should time yourself while doing it.

Okay - I'll give the GS a shot, but perhaps I will so just the PS and BS, given that verbal seems to be dissimilar to AAMC. And yes, agreed - Kaplan topicals/sectionals are nice - good practice and they have very clear explanations.

AGH What the ****? Score dropped 3 points and went from 33-->30. I felt like in general AAMC 8 was just way more difficult than any of the other ones I've taken. I'm really beginning to panic now--I felt like I studied so hard and efficiently these past 2 days! I actually felt pretty confident going in, knowing I had done some good work for 2 days. I feel like crying T___T.

I don't know what's going on--I feel like the things AAMC is testing is getting more and more obscure? Or perhaps I'm just not reasoning correctly?

AGH What the ****? Score dropped 3 points and went from 33-->30. I felt like in general AAMC 8 was just way more difficult than any of the other ones I've taken. I'm really beginning to panic now--I felt like I studied so hard and efficiently these past 2 days! I actually felt pretty confident going in, knowing I had done some good work for 2 days. I feel like crying T___T.

I don't know what's going on--I feel like the things AAMC is testing is getting more and more obscure? Or perhaps I'm just not reasoning correctly?
Don't worry about it, was probably a weird outlier. Next one will be back at your average!

I think you should do it under timed conditions just to get a feel of what the MCAT could look like if they throw a RIDICULOUSLY calculation heavy and hard PS section. Honestly I have been scoring 13-14 consistent in PS and that exam took me by surprise. Nonetheless, I still think u should time yourself while doing it.

What's your opinion on the GS verbal? People say it's horrible but I scored what I normally do on AAMC FL.

What's your opinion on the GS verbal? People say it's horrible but I scored what I normally do on AAMC FL.
Do people say it's horrible because it's easy or difficult? I actually scored higher than I did on FL

Harder I think....but these are posts from a few years ago. GS supposedly revised their verbal. I guess it's great practice regardless.

Harder I think....but these are posts from a few years ago. GS supposedly revised their verbal. I guess it's great practice regardless.
I did the GS mostly for the PS because it's a great deal more difficult than AAMC and I was scoring 13-14 on all of the AAMC. Just wrote the rest of the sections because I paid for it so why not lol

On that note, I found the verbal actually easier Than AAMC in that the passages were not as difficult or convoluted. I realized by this that I have a harder time when there is a confusing passage but easier questions rather than easier passage with difficult questions.

Last edited:
Just did the PS section of GS 1 - scored a 12. Seemed longer but I finished with around as much time remaining as usual. Wouldn't mind having an exam like that :p

Just did the PS section of GS 1 - scored a 12. Seemed longer but I finished with around as much time remaining as usual. Wouldn't mind having an exam like that :p

Oh I did GS 10 lol cuz apparently the earlier ones aren't as difficult as their later ones

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we can write notes for PS during the tutorial, like equations and stuff?
I'm pretty sure you can, but honestly I would Just go ahead and start the test. Jotting down formulas before an exam is never a good thing IMO

Time for AAMC 8. So far got 34 three times and 35 once. Been doing the AAMC in order. Hoping to crack 36 on this one. Wish me luck!

And there goes all my happiness. Went down 1 point to a 33 on AAMC 8 (13/8/12). So disappointed

How do you score so high on the sciences??? Any tips? 13 PS and 12 BS are my goals...
The main thing I learnt for PS is you have to understand the equations and how to derive them instead of learning them by heart. This is what makes u be able to apply the info to the difficult passages. Like understanding how all the SHM equations work and what is really going on rather than brute memorization. Understanding how sound moves vs how light moves. The difference in PS between high score and medium score is understanding the science vs applying it.

For BS, I find it more like taking the BIO passages as you would VR. Map out the passage, analyze the graphs for cause and effects, etc. once again more understanding what's going on than brute memorization and regurgitate

Did anyone else get screwed over by PS #9 on AAMC #5.

Wording got me caught up. If you read it carefully enough it can mean either or.

Don't want to divulge too much about the question, but that costed me my 13. Glad I have to deal with these semantics on the PS portion of the MCAT too...Very very frustrating.

The main thing I learnt for PS is you have to understand the equations and how to derive them instead of learning them by heart. This is what makes u be able to apply the info to the difficult passages. Like understanding how all the SHM equations work and what is really going on rather than brute memorization. Understanding how sound moves vs how light moves. The difference in PS between high score and medium score is understanding the science vs applying it.

For BS, I find it more like taking the BIO passages as you would VR. Map out the passage, analyze the graphs for cause and effects, etc. once again more understanding what's going on than brute memorization and regurgitate

100% true. Knowing and understanding the units helps a ton as well IMO.

And there goes all my happiness. Went down 1 point to a 33 on AAMC 8 (13/8/12). So disappointed

AAMC 8 downed me too. The only difference was a 9 on verbal for me. I think this test just had a harder verbal or something. Don't worry too much about it and just really hone in on why you got those verbal questions wrong.

Last edited:
AAMC 8 downed me too. The only difference was a 9 on verbal for me. I think this test just had a harder verbal or something. Don't worry too much about it and just really hone in on why you got those verbal questions wrong.
yeh that verbal killed me. I felt like I just wasn't focused on the passages. Gonna do some TPRH verbal tomorrow to practice.

Ended GS - 1 with a total of 12/8/12. The scale for bio seems quite inflated and idk what happened with verbal.

Regardless of how I do on individual tests, verbal is still not as consistent as id like. If the focus isn't there, I won't score over 10. It's that messed up.

Did anyone else get screwed over by PS #9 on AAMC #5.

Wording got me caught up. If you read it carefully enough it can mean either or.

Don't want to divulge too much about the question, but that costed me my 13. Glad I have to deal with these semantics on the PS portion of the MCAT too...Very very frustrating.

UGH on my last AAMC (#8), a lot of it was being caught up with semantics! Same occurrence with #7. Like, I would misinterpret them and think they're asking something way more complicated than it really was. Took it easy these two days--I'm hoping it'll help tomorrow on AAMC 9....

UGH on my last AAMC (#8), a lot of it was being caught up with semantics! Same occurrence with #7. Like, I would misinterpret them and think they're asking something way more complicated than it really was. Took it easy these two days--I'm hoping it'll help tomorrow on AAMC 9....

Good luck with AAMC #9 man.

Yeah it's really aggravating. It's one thing to get the question wrong because you're dumbfounded, but it's a whole other level of rage when you missed it because the question wasn't as clear as it could've been. We don't have room to be making these mistakes, especially when they're making the difference between 12-13-14.

Good luck with AAMC #9 man.

Yeah it's really aggravating. It's one thing to get the question wrong because you're dumbfounded, but it's a whole other level of rage when you missed it because the question wasn't as clear as it could've been. We don't have room to be making these mistakes, especially when they're making the difference between 12-13-14.

Thanks! Also makes me feel like there's something inherently wrong with me or I'm stupid..when these things happen I suppose. And I also start thinking like 'wtf how are you supposed to study for that?!?!' because it's not like I didn't know the topic -_-" I just applied the wrong thing in the wrong way. It could be neurosis I suppose. Gotta act like we were dropped on the head as babies...

Thanks! Also makes me feel like there's something inherently wrong with me or I'm stupid..when these things happen I suppose. And I also start thinking like 'wtf how are you supposed to study for that?!?!' because it's not like I didn't know the topic -_-" I just applied the wrong thing in the wrong way. It could be neurosis I suppose. Gotta act like we were dropped on the head as babies...

Hell no - we're definitely not the only ones getting tripped up on these questions. I agree - there's definitely some desperation with me too just because I know that type of "word-play" question is going to pop up on another test/my MCAT and I'll probably be fooled again...it's actually BS. I'm pretty neurotic as well but I just feel that TBR and TPR were so keen on teaching us to weigh the words as objectively as possible although that's not ALWAYS the case on the AAMC. It blows because the AAMC logic > Prep company.

We gotta hang in there.

I am still in my denial stage... i can't believe it's almost here.

also. AAMC 11. that's all I have to say.

kbye

In rly hoping I can hit at least a 10 in VR - or else all this prep would have been for nothing. Although I wouldn't mind a 15/9/15 :p. Then again, balance > total IMO.

In rly hoping I can hit at least a 10 in VR - or else all this prep would have been for nothing. Although I wouldn't mind a 15/9/15 :p. Then again, balance > total IMO.

Same here - double digit VR wouldn't be too shabby, although a 12 was my goal at the beginning of the summer.

Same here - double digit VR wouldn't be too shabby, although a 12 was my goal at the beginning of the summer.
I'm a 2nd time MCATer who got 31 (12/9/10). I'm consistently getting 13-14 in PS and 11-13 in BS so those are going up for sure but my verbal seems to be a crap shoot. I will donate a kidney to get an 11 in verbal

I'm a 2nd time MCATer who got 31 (12/9/10). I'm consistently getting 13-14 in PS and 11-13 in BS so those are going up for sure but my verbal seems to be a crap shoot. I will donate a kidney to get an 11 in verbal
I'll donate one point of my verbal for one point in the sciences :)

I really need my science scores higher. :(

Yeah - I'm a second timer as well because I ended up voiding my first score - I ran out of time in both PS and BS. My practice exams didn't indicate I was going to do to so swell either. Decided to swallow my pride and go at it a second time with TBR for content review, and I'm glad I did. Kaplan was a waste of my time.

Awesome job on getting those science scores up - especially in PS. A 14 - 10 - 13 split will give you a 37, and that isn't much to complain about at all. I honestly think an 11 in verbal is possible for both of us. I don't know about you, but I was off by one question in AAMC #3 and #5. Granted, #8 and #9 are toted as being much harder, so we'll see how I do then.

My friend got a 30 on her MCAT (8 - 12 - 10) and told me the trick to Verbal was to always relate the questions to the author's point of view. Easier said than done, though, because the author's POV isn't always crystal clear...