The Official Thread: University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

:eek:

I like this idea, since everyone is going the same direction.:thumbup:

Mine is on the 23rd!

What hotel is everyone staying at? Is anyone interested in splitting hotel costs as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine is on the 23rd!

What hotel is everyone staying at? Is anyone interested in splitting hotel costs as well?

please post stats, what batch you were in, and whether you are Out of state/ instate.

Just got my second interview from Pittsburgh! I am OOS if anyone is curious.
Anyone still deciding on what day they are attending their interviews? I have an option of choosing among September 23, October 7, and October 14 and I have to decide by this Thursday. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my second interview from Pittsburgh! I am OOS if anyone is curious.
Anyone still deciding on what day they are attending their interviews? I have an option of choosing among September 23, October 7, and October 14 and I have to decide by this Thursday. :scared:

forget it. don't decide. just don't go. then one of us can get ur interview spot!

Interview Invite Alert!! Given the option of either October 7 or 14 :)

OOS, 3rd Batch
GPA: 3.6
DAT: 23 AA, 23 TS, 20 PAT

So I read on the interview feedback there is a "writing sample" , do you guys have any info about this part of the interview like what are we writing about and the amount of time the give you to finish??

I got invite today. 7 or 14, I wish they can give more options.

After confirming our interview date by sending an e-mail (following the instruction), are we supposed to get any further confirmation from the school? I have been calling the admission office today, no one's picking up the phone :(

Members don't see this ad :)
After confirming our interview date by sending an e-mail (following the instruction), are we supposed to get any further confirmation from the school? I have been calling the admission office today, no one's picking up the phone :(

They should e-mail you back confirming your interview date with you.

what are the best cab companies to use to get to the airport from the dental school? I read that yellow cab might not be the most reliable

Received an interview invite today! Horray! Booked for Oct. 14th. I was looking into where I can stay, and $160 was the cheapest I can find. Did any of you find a cheaper place?

Received an interview invite today! Horray! Booked for Oct. 14th. I was looking into where I can stay, and $160 was the cheapest I can find. Did any of you find a cheaper place?

Hampton Inn ----> $109 with university rate

Hampton Inn ----> $109 with university rate

Hey, thanks! I actually found a better deal this morning at quality inn ($84, university rate). Now the problem is going back to the airport to catch the plane promptly... Wish you the best, everyone!

Hey, thanks! I actually found a better deal this morning at quality inn ($84, university rate). Now the problem is going back to the airport to catch the plane promptly... Wish you the best, everyone!

Use the x28 bus or share a cab.

Hmm AADSAS says they updated my status yesterday and it says received/under review. I'm thinking silent rejection since I was 2nd batch?

Am I the only one getting there by an overnight bus? It's supposedly to arrive at 6:30am, hopefully that leaves a plenty of time to get ready for the day... (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
Hi! I'm going on the 14th as well! I'm super excited but also VERY nervous!! Do you happen to know if it's true that we'll be doing a writing sample that day?? Or whether it'll be open or closed, one-on-one or group? Good luck to us!!

Got an email today, inviting for the interview! Confirming for the 14th!

OOS (Ohio); 19 AA; 20 PAT; 3.9 GPA

hi folks, is there any where in the email says where to go for the interview exactly? like building, room??

hi folks, is there any where in the email says where to go for the interview exactly? like building, room??

Your interview invite e-mail should have most of the info you need. If not, try calling the admission office and they should tell you.

Anyone here attending the interview on the 7th? I'll be flying into Pittsburgh tomorrow so it should be ton of fun :)

See you there as well! If either of you are flying out of Pittsburgh after the interview, we should split a cab?! Take care.

See you there as well! If either of you are flying out of Pittsburgh after the interview, we should split a cab?! Take care.

There is always the X28 shuttle for $3.75 fyi.

Yes, actually am on the 28x now! Just am worried about catching my 6:00 flight in time by taking the bus; thought
that perhaps a cab could be faster. But, it should hopefully work with plenty of time! Just an idea if anyone is interested. Thank you!

Yes, actually am on the 28x now! Just am worried about catching my 6:00 flight in time by taking the bus; thought
that perhaps a cab could be faster. But, it should hopefully work with plenty of time! Just an idea if anyone is interested. Thank you!

My flight is at 4:30 so I'll definitely be calling a cab...

man this neighborhood is all white...

lol

Last edited:
I'm OOS and just got an interview invite yesterday. Pitt is a good school and in an awesome city, so I'm definitely excited for this one.

Does anyone have any feedback at all if they already had their Pitt interview? What is it like and what can we expect? Thanks!

Does anyone have any feedback at all if they already had their Pitt interview? What is it like and what can we expect? Thanks!

It basically felt like I was having a friendly conversation with my academic advisor and nothing more :) Not much to really stress about.

AADSAS app mailed 7/5
Application complete 9/5 (forgot to pay supplemental fee..)
Interview invitation 9/17
Interview 10/7

I'm OOS, good ol' south.

This was my second interview, so I don't have much to compare. I'll try to find a good balance between subjectivity and objectivity.

it was from 8:45 - 3:00pm. really well organized. They had the schedule divided into the times/event with who was running the event. Some of the information was helpful for dental school in general, and I thought they found a great balance between "showcasing" the school and just genuinely trying to advise future dental students about finances, curriculum, student life. i learned more about their program, what made them special. Very conversational & friendly, it was supposed to be the "beginning of our relationship" (some lady whose name I don't remember).

probably irrelevant, i liked the food. mmm bacon. the students volunteered their time to chat with us for the 1 hour brunch. then the school tour, pretty informal led by the student. I had a funny resourceful mega-social dude. He didn't know much about the pediatric clinic so he randomly asked one of the dental students (this tour guide student seemed to know everyone..) how the pediatric program was. i liked the sense of family and community among the students. sounds cheesy as hell.. oh well.

the 1:1 interview was pretty friendly and conversational. she came in, told me she thought my personal statement was creative and then said hi. or maybe it was hi first. regardless, i was a bit thrown off even though i knew it was open file.however, it helped me talk about myself better. then it was typical question,, why pitt? why dentistry? there was one weird bizarre question, but it was more fun. I'll leave that experience for the future interviewees. :)

my interviewer felt like a chill grandma who'd make me cookies and give me life advice, although we had two interruptions. she seemed a bit disappointed that i didn't have a southern accent, all in good humor. near the end, she was telling/gentle ranting about her day? and then she walked me back to the big room, where the student panel was happening. then financial aid stuff, very helpful. then pre-simulation (all the tech goodies Pitt has but i checked out for this.it was boring.. gonna be honest here)

we also had a writing sample and a survey about the interview day, which was evidence that pittsburgh really digs feedback so they can constantly change/modify/improve the program. it had a similar pattern for the little changes they make to the curriculum. i dig it.

overall, my interview with Pitts was uber positive, even met a really nice chill interviewee who offered a ride to the airport. I hope I get in *cross my finger.* If you guys have any questions/concerns/comments, PM me. best of luck to everyone. :thumbup:

AADSAS app mailed 7/5
Application complete 9/5 (forgot to pay supplemental fee..)
Interview invitation 9/17
Interview 10/7

I'm OOS, good ol' south.

This was my second interview, so I don't have much to compare. I'll try to find a good balance between subjectivity and objectivity.

it was from 8:45 - 3:00pm. really well organized. They had the schedule divided into the times/event with who was running the event. Some of the information was helpful for dental school in general, and I thought they found a great balance between "showcasing" the school and just genuinely trying to advise future dental students about finances, curriculum, student life. i learned more about their program, what made them special. Very conversational & friendly, it was supposed to be the "beginning of our relationship" (some lady whose name I don't remember).

probably irrelevant, i liked the food. mmm bacon. the students volunteered their time to chat with us for the 1 hour brunch. then the school tour, pretty informal led by the student. I had a funny resourceful mega-social dude. He didn't know much about the pediatric clinic so he randomly asked one of the dental students (this tour guide student seemed to know everyone..) how the pediatric program was. i liked the sense of family and community among the students. sounds cheesy as hell.. oh well.

the 1:1 interview was pretty friendly and conversational. she came in, told me she thought my personal statement was creative and then said hi. or maybe it was hi first. regardless, i was a bit thrown off even though i knew it was open file.however, it helped me talk about myself better. then it was typical question,, why pitt? why dentistry? there was one weird bizarre question, but it was more fun. I'll leave that experience for the future interviewees. :)

my interviewer felt like a chill grandma who'd make me cookies and give me life advice, although we had two interruptions. she seemed a bit disappointed that i didn't have a southern accent, all in good humor. near the end, she was telling/gentle ranting about her day? and then she walked me back to the big room, where the student panel was happening. then financial aid stuff, very helpful. then pre-simulation (all the tech goodies Pitt has but i checked out for this.it was boring.. gonna be honest here)

we also had a writing sample and a survey about the interview day, which was evidence that pittsburgh really digs feedback so they can constantly change/modify/improve the program. it had a similar pattern for the little changes they make to the curriculum. i dig it.

overall, my interview with Pitts was uber positive, even met a really nice chill interviewee who offered a ride to the airport. I hope I get in *cross my finger.* If you guys have any questions/concerns/comments, PM me. best of luck to everyone. :thumbup:

nice. I think I sat next to you :)

This is a rather unusual request. I'm coming for the Monday interview on the 14th and will be arriving there 6:15am by bus. Would it be possible for me to crash at the hotel one of you is staying at for less than a couple of hours so that I can change and get ready? Then maybe we can head to the school together haha!

I'm a girl btw :) Thanks so much in advance!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! My status just changed to Check Back December 2nd! Did this happen to anyone else?

Does this school give out post-Dec OOS interview invites?

"Happy Thanksgiving everyone! My status just changed to Check Back December 2nd! Did this happen to anyone else?"

If you don't mind me asking, what did your status say before it changed?

"Happy Thanksgiving everyone! My status just changed to Check Back December 2nd! Did this happen to anyone else?"

If you don't mind me asking, what did your status say before it changed?

I don't mind! Before changing, my status said "Invited for Interview", with Interview Completed noted in the status defined column.

Reactions: 1 user