The Official Thread: University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite from Pitt. I wish I could go but I am currently traveling abroad, so I will turn it down. Good luck to other applicants!

For those that interviewed there, is it true that you interview with 50 other candidates?

For those that already interviewed, I understand you only have one 30 min "one on one" Interview. Is the one on one interview in the morning or afternoon? Also what do you do for the rest of the time? Is there also a group interview/activity? Do they still do the writing sample? I appreciate everyones help

For those that already interviewed, I understand you only have one 30 min "one on one" Interview. Is the one on one interview in the morning or afternoon? Also what do you do for the rest of the time? Is there also a group interview/activity? Do they still do the writing sample? I appreciate everyones help
The interview is in the early afternoon (mine was at noon). The rest of the time you wait around for others to finish their interviews and you get to talk to the other applicants. Then, current dental students come in and discuss their experiences with you all. Finally, there is another presentation you will witness. Yes, there is a writing sample!

Anyone that was accepted on Jan 6th, Do you mind sharing when your deposit is due?

The breakdown goes:
815-830 check in
830-10 admins talking about stuff
10-11 brunch
11-12 tour
12-1 interviews
1:30-2:00 financial
2:00-2:30 sleepy time
2:30-3:00 loose ends

I interviewed this past Monday and it was not well organized at all. We didn't end until around 3:20, which made rushing to the airport quite interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview for the 27th. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for it?

When is Pitt done handing out interviews?

I interviewed on the 13th. Does anyone have an idea as to when we might hear back? Thanks.

Did anybody drive to school? if so, where did you park? My hotel is 13 miles away so I have to drive

I interviewed on the 13th. Does anyone have an idea as to when we might hear back? Thanks.

If I have to guess, I would say after they wouldn't hand out any more acceptances until the last interview date is complete.

Call them and ask. Even if they can't tell you, it'll let them know you're still interested. And feel free to post what they say.

Interview invite as well. See you on the 27th.

Is anyone going to the airport right after the interview at 3pm and want to split a cab with me? I am staying at the Hampton Inn.

Reactions: 1 user
Hampton Inn has their associated airport driver who charges around $55. You can leave your luggage at the desk (because room check out is 12pm), come back to get it, and leave from the hotel. It worked very well for me a couple weeks ago.

Anyone else staying at Hampton Inn or want to split a cab? The more people the cheaper per person :)

I'll drive up to 4 people to the airport if you want to pay me. $10 a person no matter how many people come. It'll be a little cramped in my Toyota matrix but cheap. Look for me tomorrow. Name is Rakesh.

How many people does Pittsburgh interview every year from the 2200 applications it receives?

Just to follow up, I received my acceptance email this morning from Dr. Etzel :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just to follow up. I received my acceptance email this morning from Dr. Etzel :)

That's awesome! Congrats :) I interviewed there Jan 13th but haven't heard from them =/

So what did you all think after today's visit to the school and interview?

I felt that the interview was stress free. Very conversational and open file. Some of the questions that were asked were just as random as the topic of the writing sample. My interview came to an abrupt end because we ran out of time chatting on something random.

That's awesome! Congrats :) I interviewed there Jan 13th but haven't heard from them =/

Thanks! I'm sure you'll hear soon!

I was impressed by the facility, students, and the curriculum. I'm not a fan of brunch at 10:30am and not eating again till after the day ended at 3-3:30.

Did anybody ask when should we expect to hear back for the Jan 27th interview? cuz I dont remember them mentioning it

They said the fifth at the earliest.

Did Dr. Etzel mention this?

I have other interviews coming up, that I'm planning on declining if I get in Pitt.
Just wish they could let us know as soon as possible. I was also very impressed with the school and the city. Pittsburgh is seriously beautiful.

Rosemary did, and she mentioned it towards the end of the interview. Most of the interviewees have already left the auditorium, so unless you lingered around it is likely that you've missed it.

Rosemary did, and she mentioned it towards the end of the interview. Most of the interviewees have already left the auditorium, so unless you lingered around it is likely that you've missed it.

Thanks!! Yes, I left pretty soon after the interview to catch my flight.

Good luck to everyone!!

Yea they said Feb5 earliest but that it could take longer.

I emailed them and they said please just wait patiently.

I also contacted the school on Wednesday and was informed that decisions will definitely be released before mid-February. I was told this after mentioning when my deposit is due for another school that I was accepted to this past Monday. I seriously wish the would let us know soon though. After visiting Pitt, it definitely became my dream school.

Hope this info helps!

Last edited:
Check your email! Just got accepted!!!!! Interviewed 01/27

Reactions: 2 users