****The Official U of Washington Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I should add that it said 'applicants for consideration', not that the class was filled. Don't worry people who interviewed!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone from Jan. 27th interview hear back yet??

The admissions committee isn't going to meet again until the end of the month, so to those that are still waiting — the earliest you're going to hear back is in a few weeks. Wish I had better news, 'cause I'm in the same boat!

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions committee isn't going to meet again until the end of the month, so to those that are still waiting — the earliest you're going to hear back is in a few weeks. Wish I had better news, 'cause I'm in the same boat!

Ohh I didn't know that. I know people who were accepted last week, so I'm assuming they met last week. I wonder why they're not meeting till the end of the month. Gonna make me very anxious :-(

Ohh I didn't know that. I know people who were accepted last week, so I'm assuming they met last week. I wonder why they're not meeting till the end of the month. Gonna make me very anxious :-(

I hear you. Kathy told me that there are a few absences within the admissions committee so they've delayed meeting until the end of the month. I guess they require the entire committee present to make any decisions.

Anyone (accepted) got the deposit slip/ deposit request yet?

For those still waiting, I've been told that they're gonna try to get acceptances out by the end of February. Adcom also didn't meet last week.

For those still waiting, I've been told that they're gonna try to get acceptances out by the end of February. Adcom also didn't meet last week.

Does anyone know what percentage of the class is filled up? ON Facebook its seems like its about half, but then again not everyone has a Facebook.

I just got the call. Good luck to everyone else!

I just got the call. Good luck to everyone else!
Yogi, congrats! I think I interviewed the same day as you. Did your status update in AADSAS &/or receive an email, or just a phone call?

Yogi, congrats! I think I interviewed the same day as you. Did your status update in AADSAS &/or receive an email, or just a phone call?

Thanks! Got a phone call from Kathy this afternoon. AADSAS still shows "Received/Under Review". Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Called the School today. Kathy said they have there 63 students, and are starting to form their wait list of about 15. So if you haven't heard yes or no yet then your probably like me and are now hoping for a high wait list position. She also said that the wait list should be formed and the individuals on it informed in the next two weeks. So it looks like more waiting.

Don't give up yet, spots *will* open up — Kathy told us that a year or two ago they had someone get admitted in AUGUST. You might not have that long to notify other schools, but if you can wait, I would. But yea, more waiting sucks :/

Just got rejection letter. I interviewed in November

Got the rejection email. They said should be 15 on the wait list. 63 spots and 15 wait list =78. rejection letter said 1 of 150 interviews. roughly 50% chance. Darn new I should have called Heads on the coin toss.

I just put my decision to not attend UW in the mail yesterday. Good luck on the waitlist!

First of all, congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!

I'm planning on applying for the entering class of 2015, but I noticed UW requires one semester of microbiology. My school is on the quarter system and doesn't even offer microbiology on the undergraduate level... It offers one quarter of microbio through the school of continuing studies. Do you think I can still apply with only one quarter worth of microbio? How strict are they with their requirements? Thanks!!

First of all, congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!

I'm planning on applying for the entering class of 2015, but I noticed UW requires one semester of microbiology. My school is on the quarter system and doesn't even offer microbiology on the undergraduate level... It offers one quarter of microbio through the school of continuing studies. Do you think I can still apply with only one quarter worth of microbio? How strict are they with their requirements? Thanks!!
UW also runs on the quarter system, and they actually require 2 quarters of microbiology. You can apply with only one quarter and hope for the best, but as far as I know, they are strict on their requirements. If you have any doubts, just contact the school.

UW also runs on the quarter system, and they actually require 2 quarters of microbiology. You can apply with only one quarter and hope for the best, but as far as I know, they are strict on their requirements. If you have any doubts, just contact the school.

Thanks so much! Oops, that's what I meant. haha. 2 quarters of microbio or 1 semester equivalent.

Thanks so much! Oops, that's what I meant. haha. 2 quarters of microbio or 1 semester equivalent.

FWIW, I had only completed one quarter of mircobio when I applied. As long as your grades are decent and you enter the other quarter of microbio into the in progress/planned courses, it should be fine.

FWIW, I had only completed one quarter of mircobio when I applied. As long as your grades are decent and you enter the other quarter of microbio into the in progress/planned courses, it should be fine.
I think @oceanangel4 was saying that their school does not offer a second quarter of microbio, so no planned course possible.

Regardless, oceanangel4, I think you should just contact the school and ask.

I think @oceanangel4 was saying that their school does not offer a second quarter of microbio, so no planned course possible.

Regardless, oceanangel4, I think you should just contact the school and ask.

I assumed that oceanangel wasn't trying to get around the requirement but just hesitating to apply without it fulfilled. My school didn't offer a second quarter of mircobio either — I had to take it somewhere else.

As far as I know, they've never made an exception to the policy. In fact, their admissions FAQ (http://depts.washington.edu/sodent2.../prospective-students/DDS_Admissions_FAQs.pdf) states:

Q. Are Microbiology and Biochemistry really required?
A. Yes, the Admissions Committee makes no exceptions to this policy. We require two quarters or one semester each of upper division Microbiology and Biochemistry.

@yogipatel I did read an anecdote from a UW SDN thread many many years ago... someone said that someone within their interview group was given grief for "not having 2 quarters of microbiology done". Not sure if that applicant had the class planned, or if they didn't complete it at all.

Regardless, I am pretty sure you are correct in saying that their requirements are strict.

I assumed that oceanangel wasn't trying to get around the requirement but just hesitating to apply without it fulfilled. My school didn't offer a second quarter of mircobio either — I had to take it somewhere else.

As far as I know, they've never made an exception to the policy. In fact, their admissions FAQ (http://depts.washington.edu/sodent2.../prospective-students/DDS_Admissions_FAQs.pdf) states:

Q. Are Microbiology and Biochemistry really required?
A. Yes, the Admissions Committee makes no exceptions to this policy. We require two quarters or one semester each of upper division Microbiology and Biochemistry.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help!

@yogipatel I was wondering, did you take microbio at another school? Or did you take an online class? I couldn't find a school close enough to me that had one semester of microbio at the undergraduate level, but I did find a microbio course from BYU Independent Study. Does anyone know how online courses are received by dental schools? Do they accept these?

Thanks!!

@oceanangel4 I took my first microbio at the community college I was doing my other pre-reqs at (I'm a non-traditional student). The second class I took as as a non-matriculated student at UW. So yes, technically another school. Do none of the community colleges around you have microbio courses?

You keep saying "at the undergrad level". I'm fairly certain that the grad courses will count towards the requirements, but I understand any hesitance to take something that might be more involved than necessary.

Which school do you go to? PM me if you don't want to post it. I'll probably be stopping by the admissions office today or tomorrow and can directly get some more information for you regarding the BYU course, etc.

Last edited:
@oceanangel4 I took my first microbio at the community college I was doing my other pre-reqs at (I'm a non-traditional student). The second class I took as as a non-matriculated student at UW. So yes, technically another school. Do none of the community colleges around you have microbio courses?

You keep saying "at the undergrad level". I'm fairly certain that the grad courses will count towards the requirements, but I understand any hesitance to take something that might be more involved than necessary.

Which school do you go to? PM me if you don't want to post it. I'll probably be stopping by the admissions office today or tomorrow and can directly get some more information for you regarding the BYU course, etc.

Thanks @yogipatel !

I actually just emailed UW about it and they told me that they will accept the BYU course! :) So I will probably take that. Thank you for your input though! I was hesitant in taking a graduate course since I haven't really had any microbiology class before so I didn't want to jump right in to a 400 level class...

Reactions: 1 user