****The Official U of Washington Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I got a secondary before the interview

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone NOT from WA or any of the WICHE states (Arizona, Alaska, New Mexico, etc) gotten supplemental or interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can those with interviews tell us when they are scheduling interviews for? Thanks!

October 6th only mondays

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is October 13th!

Reactions: 1 users
Got the email before I woke up lol. I tried calling to schedule but had to leave a voice mail. Do you guys know what dates are still available?

Method of notification: Email
Residency: WA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/7/2014
Application complete date: 7/30/2014
GPA (science, overall): 3.2, 3.3
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/21/21/28/no

Got the email before I woke up lol. I tried calling to schedule but had to leave a voice mail. Do you guys know what dates are still available?

Method of notification: Email
Residency: WA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/7/2014
Application complete date: 7/30/2014
GPA (science, overall): 3.2, 3.3
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/21/21/28/no
I called today and scheduled for October 27th. Congrats to you!

Awesome! How have you been preparing for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm still waiting to get an interview invitation!! So nervous!!

Last edited:
If you want something nearby the school, I would recommend Hotel DECA or University Inn. They may be slightly pricier but they're both close to bus lines that can take you directly to the Health Science Building where the interviews take place. University Inn is right across from the UW Health Science shuttle bus stop...which will be a direct route to the Health Sciences as well. Oh, there's also the College Inn but I've never been there and it's attached to the College Inn Bar :p PM if you have questions more specific for your stay, I'll be glad to help!

If you want something nearby the school, I would recommend Hotel DECA or University Inn. They may be slightly pricier but they're both close to bus lines that can take you directly to the Health Science Building where the interviews take place. University Inn is right across from the UW Health Science shuttle bus stop...which will be a direct route to the Health Sciences as well. Oh, there's also the College Inn but I've never been there and it's attached to the College Inn Bar :p PM if you have questions more specific for your stay, I'll be glad to help!
Thanks!!

The first Seattle group interviewed today. It was a great bunch of applicants... very nice people. The interviews were also very low key and I found the entire process enjoyable. It consisted of three very casual one on one interviews with members of the selection committee. No need to be stressed. Good luck to those with interviews coming up!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the update! Mine is in two weeks!

Just wanna throw it out there - if any of you guys have any questions at all about applying to UW or my own experience, or whatever, and are too shy to post on SDN, feel free to shoot me a PM!

I scheduled my interview for Nov. 3rd! I wish I could have scheduled an earlier one, but I've literally been swamped with interviews for October. Good luck to everyone else and I wish you all the best! UW is amazing!

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to say congrats on applying to one of the top dental schools in the nation! I’m one of the c/o 2018 student officers at UWSOD and am here to help answer any questions you guys have about interviews, UWSOD in general, or what dental school is really like. Some of my classmates have already been on here to help and they are awesome resources, too! I’ll be monitoring this thread throughout interviews so feel free to ask questions or message me. Good luck with your interviews!

UW2018

Just wanted to echo what some of my classmates have said — if you guys have any questions, please let us know. The admissions people can sometimes be hard to get a hold of for outsiders, but we have fairly direct access to them.

Good luck with your interviews! What everyone says is true, it's very relaxed. Just be yourself and you'll be fine :)

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to say congrats on applying to one of the top dental schools in the nation! I’m one of the c/o 2018 student officers at UWSOD and am here to help answer any questions you guys have about interviews, UWSOD in general, or what dental school is really like. Some of my classmates have already been on here to help and they are awesome resources, too! I’ll be monitoring this thread throughout interviews so feel free to ask questions or message me. Good luck with your interviews!

UW2018
Just sent you a PM! :)

Hey Guys!

UW2018
Do you know anyone in the RIDE program?
If so what are their thoughts on moving to and from Spokane after the first and before 4th years?

Is there any competition between RIDE students and the rest of the UW campus?

Do you know anyone in the RIDE program?
If so what are their thoughts on moving to and from Spokane after the first and before 4th years?

Is there any competition between RIDE students and the rest of the UW campus?

I don’t personally know anyone in the RIDE program from my year, yet. They started a little earlier (and get out earlier) so we didn’t all get a chance to meet. I do know a few RIDE students from older classes so I’ll go off what they’ve told me.

The students I've talked to said it wasn't much of a transition. Some were from the east side of the state to begin with, others from here in Seattle. They all did say it was a great experience (that is, the first year), and all are looking forward to their fourth year. The facilities there are well supported and they all seem to get along great, as well. As for competition between “us” and “them,” there isn’t any to speak of. Dental school is a lot different than undergrad. It’s no longer the same cutthroat mentality we're all used to. Yea, some people want to specialize from the get go, but we’re all working together-we really have to. Everyone relies on everyone else and we all help each other out. It’s not like the competition you get used to in undergrad and that’s one of the awesome things about dental school, and UW especially (given our small class). My advice is focus on making relationships and work hard.

I know this isn’t a ton of information on RIDE explicitly, but you’ll get a rundown of the program during interviews. Dr. Evans, one of the RIDE directors, gives a great presentation on the program and will be able to give you guys a ton of information on it.

Here are a couple links that may be useful:
http://dental.washington.edu/ride/faqs/
http://dental.washington.edu/ride/why-ride/

Did anyone fly and have to take a carry on to the interview? I have to check out from my hotel before the interview and catch a plane right after so I'm hoping there is a place to store a carry on bag at the interview. This shouldn't look to bad on me as an applicant right?

I hope someone can directly address your question, but I'll try to help even though I'm in state and didn't travel. When I interviewed, they had us leave our stuff (if someone brought like a purse/bag) in room D152 while we went to South Campus Center to have our interviews. The room is tucked away in a long corridor next to the D-1 sim lab, so other than some dental students there wasn't too much traffic passing the room. The detail I can't remember clearly is if we could have our stuff taken to admissions office if it needed to be safer. Hope that helps! :oops:

Did anyone fly and have to take a carry on to the interview? I have to check out from my hotel before the interview and catch a plane right after so I'm hoping there is a place to store a carry on bag at the interview. This shouldn't look to bad on me as an applicant right?
You can bring your luggage and store it. I'm sure if you contact Kathy, or ask someone at the interview, they will have a place for you to keep it safely.

I didn't travel, but I brought a large duffel bag to change out of my interview clothes, and I left it in the main interview room. It was untouched.

And no, it will not look bad for an applicant to do that. They totally understand that some people need to catch a flight right after the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how many spots are typically filled during the first round of acceptances? Those of us that interviewed yesterday were told the adcom won't be meeting again until December 4th, so we may have to wait a week to get good news.

Anyone know how many spots are typically filled during the first round of acceptances? Those of us that interviewed yesterday were told the adcom won't be meeting again until December 4th, so we may have to wait a week to get good news.
They won't be meeting till then for first round decisions or for decisions after the first round is sent out?

I think Kathy said usually about half the class....

They won't be meeting till then for first round decisions or for decisions after the first round is sent out?

First round decisions have already been made since the adcom isn't meeting this week. December 4 is the next time the adcom will meet, so I hope it won't be too long after that before I get some great news. I just wish my app would be considered for the first round of acceptances

First round decisions have already been made since the adcom isn't meeting this week. December 4 is the next time the adcom will meet, so I hope it won't be too long after that before I get some great news. I just wish my app would be considered for the first round of acceptances
Cool thanks for the info. good luck!!

Has anyone had a portal status change? Does UW do that?
Yes, they do. :) I, along with two others on SDN had our statuses changed to "Check back Dec. 2." All three of us were accepted. No one posted anything about being rejected on Dec. 2. Not to say that correlates to what they're doing this year, but I don't see why they would stop the trend. :) Be excited for Dec. 1!

Roughly half of the offers (~40) will be sent out on Dec 1st. However, I'm not sure how many of those offers are actually accepted.

Yes, they do. :) I, along with two others on SDN had our statuses changed to "Check back Dec. 2." All three of us were accepted. No one posted anything about being rejected on Dec. 2. Not to say that correlates to what they're doing this year, but I don't see why they would stop the trend. :) Be excited for Dec. 1!
Cool thanks for the info! Do you remember how close to the date your portals changed? I'm guessing like a day or two before?

@dentalgirl7893 I actually do not remember. If you check the old thread from last year, you'll see me freak out about the portal change, wondering if it was a good thing or not. :p

Good luck everyone! The new curriculum changes should be interesting, but I think they will all help us be better prepared upon graduation. The 6 week clerkships sound pretty cool as well.

I'm a little freaked out to maybe be the first group with the new curriculum. My interview day the profs were not very excited about it... I interviewed for RIDE in Spokane. Are the Seattle profs more reassuring?

I'm a little freaked out to maybe be the first group with the new curriculum. My interview day the profs were not very excited about it... I interviewed for RIDE in Spokane. Are the Seattle profs more reassuring?

Yes, they seemed pretty excited about it.

Besides being systems based, is PBL being implemented as well? I never heard it mentioned, but it sure seemed like that's exactly what was being described.

Besides being systems based, is PBL being implemented as well? I never heard it mentioned, but it sure seemed like that's exactly what was being described.

I'm not sure but I was told they are converting to the new standard for medical schools which I think is PBL with a systems based approach. Unless i'm mistaken a large part of the first 2 years are taken with the Med students.

It sounded like PBL but nobody brought that up, so I was just curious.

Did anyone's status change on AADSAS?