****The Official U of Washington Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Yes, everyone who is accepted to a school that is on the background check list will need to do one. There is a list of schools that require it provided with the email or on the website. If your school of choice is not listed on the list of schools, then you probably don't need to do it. The background check was also not as expensive as they listed. I ended up only paying $49ish bucks for it I think.
Okay cool. How long did it take them to complete the background check? And how do we reserve our spot at the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get contacted about the deposit yet? I sent my papers in but Kathy said to wait until contacted to pay the deposit

Okay cool. How long did it take them to complete the background check? And how do we reserve our spot at the school?
It literally took them less than a day to complete the background check. If you were accepted to UW class of 2019, you will receive a letter in the mail, and in this letter, there will be a form to either accept or reject your offer. You will mail this form back to UW admissions and they will save your spot if you accept your offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get contacted about the deposit yet? I sent my papers in but Kathy said to wait until contacted to pay the deposit
This.

Some of my friends and I are trying to figure this one out as well... Im thinking about just going to Schmitz hall and handing it in to avoid accidentally missing the mail.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope

I was just emailed an acceptance confirmation today.

So who else in here is going to be in Spokane first year? :D

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing Feb 9, in state, any suggestions? Would also like to end up in Spokane where I did undergrad

I'm not sure if spots in spokane are available anymore they told me when I was accepted that they had 7 or 8 spots filled and that the final one they were trying to get an out of state candidate, but they might take one more in state depending how interviews go, I would just be honest and talk about why you want to stay in eastern WA

Congrats! Still waiting and trying to stay positive

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Thanks. I will most definitely be attending -- UW is my top choice for sure. See you guys in the Fall :)
Awesome!!! If you haven't already message yogipatel up further in this thread for the Facebook group if you want to join :)

Does anyone know yet what the tech requirements will be? I was considering getting a surface pro 3 but idk if UW is generally particular on what laptops students can/can't get.

Does anyone know yet what the tech requirements will be? I was considering getting a surface pro 3 but idk if UW is generally particular on what laptops students can/can't get.

Verbatim from our class resource page:

"Laptop Specifications

Computers are an essential part of your dental education. The UW School of Dentistry requires all students to have laptops. You are strongly encouraged to have a sufficiently recent model laptop with the following considerations:

• Minimum 4GB of RAM (required);
  • Minimum 120GB of storage (required);
  • Dedicated graphics card with at least 4GB of system memory
  • Ethernet (wired) network capability (required);
  • Wi-fi (wireless) network capability (required);
  • External hard drive for back-up storage (strongly recommended);
  • Lightweight (recommended);
  • Battery life of 3-4 hours or more between charges (recommended);
  • Recent operating system (Windows 7 or later or Macintosh OSX 10.6 or later) with all current updates (required);
  • Anti-virus software with all current virus definitions (required); Note: Sophos is available free from UW IT);
  • Microsoft Office Professional (required); Note: available free for students from UW IT. See below;
  • Extended warranty and/or technical support provided by the manufacturer (recommended)
Although tablets have been used successfully by some students for day-to-day use in class, some are not recommended as a replacement for a laptop computer. Likewise, devices with a smartphone OS (iOS, android, Blackberry, etc.) may be useful but should not be considered a laptop replacement.

Please note that, aside from these requirements and recommendations, your choice of laptop is an individual matter, and should be made at your discretion. Please be aware that regardless of whether you choose a Macintosh or Windows PC, sometimes there will be minor compatibility issues if your professors or classmates are using a different platform."

This could change next year for you guys, but I have high doubts. I believe I have seen a couple of people in my class using a Surface Pro (although I am sure they have a computer/laptop at home that they use for school programs). The majority, however, have either Macbook Pro's or Air's. I'm in the minority with a PC (that is 6 years old and is heavier than a large textbook), but I often bring my iPad to class and that has worked out well for me.

Verbatim from our class resource page:

"Laptop Specifications

Computers are an essential part of your dental education. The UW School of Dentistry requires all students to have laptops. You are strongly encouraged to have a sufficiently recent model laptop with the following considerations:

• Minimum 4GB of RAM (required);
  • Minimum 120GB of storage (required);
  • Dedicated graphics card with at least 4GB of system memory
  • Ethernet (wired) network capability (required);
  • Wi-fi (wireless) network capability (required);
  • External hard drive for back-up storage (strongly recommended);
  • Lightweight (recommended);
  • Battery life of 3-4 hours or more between charges (recommended);
  • Recent operating system (Windows 7 or later or Macintosh OSX 10.6 or later) with all current updates (required);
  • Anti-virus software with all current virus definitions (required); Note: Sophos is available free from UW IT);
  • Microsoft Office Professional (required); Note: available free for students from UW IT. See below;
  • Extended warranty and/or technical support provided by the manufacturer (recommended)
Although tablets have been used successfully by some students for day-to-day use in class, some are not recommended as a replacement for a laptop computer. Likewise, devices with a smartphone OS (iOS, android, Blackberry, etc.) may be useful but should not be considered a laptop replacement.

Please note that, aside from these requirements and recommendations, your choice of laptop is an individual matter, and should be made at your discretion. Please be aware that regardless of whether you choose a Macintosh or Windows PC, sometimes there will be minor compatibility issues if your professors or classmates are using a different platform."

This could change next year for you guys, but I have high doubts. I believe I have seen a couple of people in my class using a Surface Pro. The majority, however, have either Macbook Pro's or Air's. I'm in the minority with a PC (that is 6 years old and is heavier than a large textbook), but I often bring my iPad to class and that has worked out well for me.
Thanks you rock!

Bumping this post. Its been a while since this was posted now. Has anyone gotten contacted about the deposit?

Bumping this post. Its been a while since this was posted now. Has anyone gotten contacted about the deposit?
Second this. Aren't we supposed to get a packet in the mail within like a month ish ?

Second this. Aren't we supposed to get a packet in the mail within like a month ish ?

The UW works very slowly when it comes to this. I remember last year we didn't get requests for deposits until mid-March. It has something to do with the registrar starting the "processing" of students entering the following year at a certain time. This doesn't apply to just dental students, but all UW students.

Might change this year, but I have high doubts! Just hang tight, and hang on to the deposit check! :p

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! I will be in Spokane my first year! Interviewed October 11th!

Reactions: 3 users
September 29th! Quite a while back
Guess I need to sit tight and be patient. I interviewed in November and would love to attend UW. It's where I did my undergrad, and where I'm finishing my prerequisites

Guess I need to sit tight and be patient. I interviewed in November and would love to attend UW. It's where I did my undergrad, and where I'm finishing my prerequisites

Just hang in there and don't think about it (easier said than done, I know)! The waiting game is the hardest part...

Just hang in there and don't think about it (easier said than done, I know)! The waiting game is the hardest part...
I just want to attend UW so bad that's it's hard not to think about it. I have acceptances elsewhere, so I do have that going for me, but I would drop them in a second to go here.

interviewing feb. 9th.. any recommendations or insight to how the interview day goes? what questions are asked? what did you all think of the school/clinics/faculty/etc.? Thanks.

Has anyone who applied early (around July) still not hear anything back from UW? I am OOS so I did not count on getting in, but I have not heard a peep from this school lol. Do they usually wait until the very end to send out all the rejections?

Got the call from my parents that the request for deposit showed up at my house in Colorado, due back by April 1

Adcom meets on Monday, and acceptance calls go out on Thursdays. The class should be filled by the first week of March.

I'm trying to stay positive and hoping for the best, but time is running out

Just got the call! RIDE it is! Been waiting for this call for 2 years; first acceptance, and to my state school, and to the city I did in undergrad in! Beyond excited.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call! RIDE it is! Been waiting for this call for 2 years; first acceptance, and to my state school, and to the city I did in undergrad in! Beyond excited.
Congrats! When did you interview?