****The Official U of Washington Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I interviewed February 9th

Members don't see this ad.

According to my original schedule, the last interview date is this coming Monday (the 23rd). So there are probably some slots still open, but take that with a grain of salt as I haven't talked to the folks upstairs in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any hope for us that haven't been accepted yet?

Usually yes, since they'll generate a wait list and notify people who make it on that. However with the early start this year, things will move pretty quickly. I'll talk to the admin folks on Monday and post up some more details.

Usually yes, since they'll generate a wait list and notify people who make it on that. However with the early start this year, things will move pretty quickly. I'll talk to the admin folks on Monday and post up some more details.
Hi yogi. thanks for the insight.
can you elaborate what you mean when you said this?
"However with the early start this year, things will move pretty quickly"

Summer quarter starts July 20 is what he means by early start this year, a 15-20 person waitlist should be completed in the next couple weeks

So is the class officially full at this point?

The "early" start is because of the new curriculum change. Prior to the c/o 2019, entering students started in Autumn quarter (technically a few weeks before Autumn quarter). With the new curriculum, students start in the summer.

The class is not yet officially full, at least as far as acceptances go — not everyone who got offers replied. An initial wait list was made and those people were notified yesterday. The full waitlist will be developed by some time in early March.

To shed some light on the wait list topic. I'm applying this cycle and just got a call from Kathy saying I was placed on the wait list. I think she called me this Thursday or Friday.

Thanks for the update. I sent a letter of intent to my interviewers, but I am not sure it will make much of a difference this late in the game. I may call to see what I can do to improve my app. I'm in state with a 3.4gpa, 22dat, and interviewed, so I'm not sure what I can do to improve for next cycle, should I decide to turn down my acceptance at another school and reapply.

Thanks for the update. I sent a letter of intent to my interviewers, but I am not sure it will make much of a difference this late in the game. I may call to see what I can do to improve my app. I'm in state with a 3.4gpa, 22dat, and interviewed, so I'm not sure what I can do to improve for next cycle, should I decide to turn down my acceptance at another school and reapply.

What other schools did you get acceptances from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptances everyone! I hope I'm not intruding, but UW is my #1 choice and I figured this was the best place to ask my question. Are any of you guys that has been accepted non trads? Specifically, did a 1 yr Master's or something like that? My cGPA and sGPA for undergrad were on the low side, and I'm in a currently in a Master's and I'm hoping it'll be able to compensate for it... please let me know and thank you in advance!

The "early" start is because of the new curriculum change. Prior to the c/o 2019, entering students started in Autumn quarter (technically a few weeks before Autumn quarter). With the new curriculum, students start in the summer.

The class is not yet officially full, at least as far as acceptances go — not everyone who got offers replied. An initial wait list was made and those people were notified yesterday. The full waitlist will be developed by some time in early March.
Hi Yogi. Are you sure that school starts in the summer this year, which is in June? I was planning a long vacation during summer before school starts...

Congrats on the acceptances everyone! I hope I'm not intruding, but UW is my #1 choice and I figured this was the best place to ask my question. Are any of you guys that has been accepted non trads? Specifically, did a 1 yr Master's or something like that? My cGPA and sGPA for undergrad were on the low side, and I'm in a currently in a Master's and I'm hoping it'll be able to compensate for it... please let me know and thank you in advance!
I am a non traditional student. I got my bachelor 4 years ago in math & stat with a GPA 3.4ish. I decided to be a dentist last year and started to take the prerequisites in a community college nearby. GPA was raised to 3.6ish. Your master route is definitely more "legit" than community college. Try to get as many As as you can and ace the DAT, you should be good to go!

Anyone get an acceptance today? Praying, hoping, waiting, wishing, knocking on wood for my phone to ring

Hi Yogi. Are you sure that school starts in the summer this year, which is in June? I was planning a long vacation during summer before school starts...

The new curriculum is _roughly_ aligned with the academic calendar. I'm not sure how much of your schedule they've communicated with you guys, but I'd just double check that. If it's ambiguous, just email Kathy. AFAIK, classes start the last week of July.

We'll be throwing you guys a welcome BBQ some time in May, so hopefully you'll be around for that.

Whoa. That's a lot earlier than I thought! For some reason I thought we started with the same schedule as with the undergrads (middle to end of September). Good thing I didn't buy plane tickets for Vegas that weekend haha. @yogipatel -- when do 2nd years start classes and did you guys start this early last year?

:smack:

How do you guys not know when your classes are starting? Did they not provide you with the information, or did y'all not read it?

We didn't start that early — we're on the old curriculum. I don't know 100% when you start, the latest curriculum document I have shows late July. Check your documentation!

If it happens to be the case that none of your paperwork lays this out for you, please let me know and I will try to rattle some cages in the Dean's office.

Yikes! My fault Yogi. I didn't see all the information on the website from the documentation they provided. My apologies! I'm all set now.

No worries, I was just getting concerned that more than one person didn't know. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Officially committing and sending in my deposit today, I remember someone on here being in charge of the Facebook, I'll dig back for it but if you see this before Id like to get added to that soon

Anyone know if the waitlist was completed? Kathy said everyone should know their final status by March 9-11. I've emailed and left a message for her but she hasn't replied.

Anyone know if the waitlist was completed? Kathy said everyone should know their final status by March 9-11. I've emailed and left a message for her but she hasn't replied.
I called yesterday and I was told that Kathy is out on vacation and will be back next week. I am waiting for a reply as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I called yesterday and I was told that Kathy is out on vacation and will be back next week. I am waiting for a reply as well.

I was wait listed (notified by mail and AADSAS portal 3/9) and required to submit a written/mailed RSVP by March 20. Got a hold of Kathy today and she said the wait list has already moved a few people. That's as much as I know.

I was wait listed (notified by mail and AADSAS portal 3/9) and required to submit a written/mailed RSVP by March 20. Got a hold of Kathy today and she said the wait list has already moved a few people. That's as much as I know.

What position where you on the wait list?

Thanks. Still waiting to hear back from Kathy but im going to assume I'm not in the waitlist. There is probably going to be more movement than in years past due to the overhaul in curriculum.

Has anyone more familiar with the area than myself began to look for housing?

Verbatim from our class resource page:

"Laptop Specifications

Computers are an essential part of your dental education. The UW School of Dentistry requires all students to have laptops. You are strongly encouraged to have a sufficiently recent model laptop with the following considerations:

• Minimum 4GB of RAM (required);
  • Minimum 120GB of storage (required);
  • Dedicated graphics card with at least 4GB of system memory
  • Ethernet (wired) network capability (required);
  • Wi-fi (wireless) network capability (required);
  • External hard drive for back-up storage (strongly recommended);
  • Lightweight (recommended);
  • Battery life of 3-4 hours or more between charges (recommended);
  • Recent operating system (Windows 7 or later or Macintosh OSX 10.6 or later) with all current updates (required);
  • Anti-virus software with all current virus definitions (required); Note: Sophos is available free from UW IT);
  • Microsoft Office Professional (required); Note: available free for students from UW IT. See below;
  • Extended warranty and/or technical support provided by the manufacturer (recommended)
Although tablets have been used successfully by some students for day-to-day use in class, some are not recommended as a replacement for a laptop computer. Likewise, devices with a smartphone OS (iOS, android, Blackberry, etc.) may be useful but should not be considered a laptop replacement.

Please note that, aside from these requirements and recommendations, your choice of laptop is an individual matter, and should be made at your discretion. Please be aware that regardless of whether you choose a Macintosh or Windows PC, sometimes there will be minor compatibility issues if your professors or classmates are using a different platform."

This could change next year for you guys, but I have high doubts. I believe I have seen a couple of people in my class using a Surface Pro (although I am sure they have a computer/laptop at home that they use for school programs). The majority, however, have either Macbook Pro's or Air's. I'm in the minority with a PC (that is 6 years old and is heavier than a large textbook), but I often bring my iPad to class and that has worked out well for me.

Are you currently a student at UW?

Does anyone know how far UW traditionally goes up the wait list? I know if varies year to year, but a rough estimate would be informative!

While I am bummed that I didn't get accepted, I just got an email stating that I'm on the alternate list, so I'm not out of the running yet. I'm set on attending MWU-AZ, but if UW accepted me, I would be thrilled.

Hi All,

I am very excited to announce that I will be attending the UW this fall(summer)! I have waited to post while I decided between two schools, but made it official a few moments ago when I withdrew from the other school!

Some info: I interviewed January 12th and found out of my acceptance on Feb. 19th

Hello everyone! Congrats to those who got into UWSOD.

I hope I'm not intruding, as I am not applying this cycle. However, I am applying next cycle! I'm a standing sophomore in college. I came here to ask what certain extra curricular activities are some of you a part of that helped you stand out and get interviews or accepted into UWSOD (with good grades and DAT scores of course). Better yet, what advice can you give to help me get accepted! I ask because UWSOD is my top school :)

Thanks for your time!!

any updates on wait list movement? or does anyone know how many people were waitlisted? thanks!

any updates on wait list movement? or does anyone know how many people were waitlisted? thanks!
Call Kathy or send Sue an email to get an update on waitlist movement

In regards to the update. The waitlist is up to #6. But will probably move to #8 in the up coming weeks as I know a couple of people will be declining

If you aren't in the top 10 your chances of admission are extremely slim and if you don't have an offer elsewhere it may be time to prep for next cycle.

There has been some movement, but only a couple spots in the last 3 weeks.

Finally came full circle. 1 year ago today, I opened the app and today, I was accepted off the WL! Originally started as #11, two people declined their WL spots so I was bumped to #9 and after a month as being #1 on the WL, I'm in!

WA resident and will definitely be attending! Good luck to everyone on the WL and those applying this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users