***The Official UCLA Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I just got an interview invite for March 4th. What!!? Am I dreaming!!?

Congrats on the invite!! :highfive:

If you don't mind answering, when did you submit your secondary and what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the invite!! :highfive:

If you don't mind answering, when did you submit your secondary and what are your stats?

Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/14
Application complete date: 9/11
GPA: 3.93 science/3.83 BCP/3.87 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21AA/21TS/22PAT/22RC/none

Could any of those already interviewed/accepted enlight me what is the format at UCLA interview please? Do they have an essay portion like at UCSF? How is the stress level of the day like? Oh boys, I thought I'm done with interviews already...

So to be honest with you, despite getting accepted, my interview was extremely difficult. I dealt with it pretty well (in my opinion) but I was interviewed for 45-50 minutes while other applicants were only interviewed 10-15 minutes tops. I was grilled question after question because I had a few "red flags" on my application that needed clarification. I wasn't asked any questions regarding the topics "why dentistry" or "why Ucla". My interview revolved around the topic "expectations coming in to dental school", "expectations from dental school", and "awareness of the difficulty of dental school". Please have questions for your interviewer because at the end you are expected to ask questions. Maybe stuff about their research, programs, extracurriculars open for dental students, etc. I'd also suggest reading about UCLA dental and what it's doing/ accomplished recently. ALSO please know about dentistry in general. Not facts like what causes cavities, what's a root canal but know where the field is going, recent advances, and where dentistry is today (socially and economically). That being said keep your cool, don't argue (even if you don't agree), and go in with the intention of listening completely to your interviewer. Oddly enough I learned more about UCLA during my interview than the introduction and am now aware of what I really want from UCLA dental as well as what projects I plan to participate in. Good luck with your interview! Kill it;):cool::shifty:

Reactions: 2 users
So to be honest with you, despite getting accepted, my interview was extremely difficult. I dealt with it pretty well (in my opinion) but I was interviewed for 45-50 minutes while other applicants were only interviewed 10-15 minutes tops. I was grilled question after question because I had a few "red flags" on my application that needed clarification. I wasn't asked any questions regarding the topics "why dentistry" or "why Ucla". My interview revolved around the topic "expectations coming in to dental school", "expectations from dental school", and "awareness of the difficulty of dental school". Please have questions for your interviewer because at the end you are expected to ask questions. Maybe stuff about their research, programs, extracurriculars open for dental students, etc. I'd also suggest reading about UCLA dental and what it's doing/ accomplished recently. ALSO please know about dentistry in general. Not facts like what causes cavities, what's a root canal but know where the field is going, recent advances, and where dentistry is today (socially and economically). That being said keep your cool, don't argue (even if you don't agree), and go in with the intention of listening completely to your interviewer. Oddly enough I learned more about UCLA during my interview than the introduction and am now aware of what I really want from UCLA dental as well as what projects I plan to participate in. Good luck with your interview! Kill it;):cool::shifty:
Congrats on your acceptance! Would it be okay to ask what kind of "red flags" your application had and why you feel you were invited for an interview despite them? Just trying to gauge what kind of hope I have to get an interview invite as well.

Congrats on your acceptance! Would it be okay to ask what kind of "red flags" your application had and why you feel you were invited for an interview despite them? Just trying to gauge what kind of hope I have to get an interview invite as well.

I don't mind explaining at all as long as it'll help some of you out there!

First and foremost here are my applying stats:
Residency: California
AADSAS mail out: 8/19
Application complete: 12/01 (took the DAT on 11/14 lol worst mistake ever)
Secondary submitted : 11/15 but was never received until 1/07 since they had trouble "opening" my file.
Interview invite: 01/21 scheduled for 02/05
GPA: 3.8 science, 3.85 overall; BioChem Major
DAT: 22AA 22TS 22 PAT 23 RCT and no section below 19
Research: Material sciences and Engineering for two years on organic solar cells
Dental related work: actively involved in dental shadowing/work since high school
Course load: 20+ units every quarter (5-7 core science classes)

Red flags: well I was the first in my family to apply to graduate school here in the United States so I was told to get tenured professor letter of Recs.... So I did but waiting for my research PI to send my letter in, I got ancy and decided to skip out on it since all my letters were strong anyways. Something people may know already but I didn't and for anyone else that doesn't GET YOUR RESEARCHERS LETTER OF REC. I explained my research thoroughly and even gave my interviewer all my PI's information if she wanted to contact her. After explaining I was off the hook since I literally took maybe 15 minutes explaining my project. Another red flag was my early interest in specializing. My interviewer really wanted me to focus on dental school rather than looking out into the future past dental school. The interviewer would rather see your focus on getting into dental school first rather than looking past it and undermining its difficulty. Then came the question as to why I took my DAT so late. These were the main red flags that came up but I was at least given the chance to explain my self.

I feel that I was put through despite these HUGE screw ups because I have a VERY well rounded application. I don't have the highest gpa or the highest DAT scores but I've made sure to experience everything I could have in my undergraduate years. Also my course load played a big role because it proves I'm able to handle the workload that'll come with dental school. The main thing these interviewes are looking for is a student that can contribute to the class as a whole and someone who won't drop out once the going gets tough.

Keep your head up and be proud of your accomplishments and the fact that you got this far! They are still putting out more and more interview invites! There's still hope :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't mind explaining at all as long as it'll help some of you out there!

First and foremost here are my applying stats:
Residency: California
AADSAS mail out: 8/19
Application complete: 12/01 (took the DAT on 11/14 lol worst mistake ever)
Secondary submitted : 11/15 but was never received until 1/07 since they had trouble "opening" my file.
Interview invite: 01/21 scheduled for 02/05
GPA: 3.8 science, 3.85 overall; BioChem Major
DAT: 22AA 22TS 22 PAT 23 RCT and no section below 19
Research: Material sciences and Engineering for two years on organic solar cells
Dental related work: actively involved in dental shadowing/work since high school
Course load: 20+ units every quarter (5-7 core science classes)

Red flags: well I was the first in my family to apply to graduate school here in the United States so I was told to get tenured professor letter of Recs.... So I did but waiting for my research PI to send my letter in, I got ancy and decided to skip out on it since all my letters were strong anyways. Something people may know already but I didn't and for anyone else that doesn't GET YOUR RESEARCHERS LETTER OF REC. I explained my research thoroughly and even gave my interviewer all my PI's information if she wanted to contact her. After explaining I was off the hook since I literally took maybe 15 minutes explaining my project. Another red flag was my early interest in specializing. My interviewer really wanted me to focus on dental school rather than looking out into the future past dental school. The interviewer would rather see your focus on getting into dental school first rather than looking past it and undermining its difficulty. Then came the question as to why I took my DAT so late. These were the main red flags that came up but I was at least given the chance to explain my self.

I feel that I was put through despite these HUGE screw ups because I have a VERY well rounded application. I don't have the highest gpa or the highest DAT scores but I've made sure to experience everything I could have in my undergraduate years. Also my course load played a big role because it proves I'm able to handle the workload that'll come with dental school. The main thing these interviewes are looking for is a student that can contribute to the class as a whole and someone who won't drop out once the going gets tough.

Keep your head up and be proud of your accomplishments and the fact that you got this far! They are still putting out more and more interview invites! There's still hope :)
Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds like they accepted a great applicant.

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds like they accepted a great applicant.

Thats very sweet of you to say. Thank you :) if you have any questions or concerns feel free to message me, I'll reply as soon as I see it! Best of luck!

Any acceptances recently? If so, when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess now that its April, theyre pretty much done?

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm thinking they are done too if you haven't received an invite by now.

However, I'm sure they will hand out a few from now until June, maybe just a handful or so.

I'm committed somewhere else as of now, but I would switch over in a heartbeat if I got the opportunity.

For those who were interviewed after December, how long does it take for UCLA to notify if you are accepted, wait-listed, or placed on alternate list? Do UCLA notify their interviewees who they intend to put on waitlist, or the school just notify accepted people?
Thanks!

For those who were interviewed after December, how long does it take for UCLA to notify if you are accepted, wait-listed, or placed on alternate list? Do UCLA notify their interviewees who they intend to put on waitlist, or the school just notify accepted people?
Thanks!
I interviewed the first week of January and I received my acceptance 2 weeks later. I have heard that UCLA typically responds to interviewees pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks!
Ucla's turnaround is quick (thank god because the anticipation was killer). They made a decision in a little over a week and got back to everyone in my interview group. Interview was 12/4 and I think I found out on 12/14.

Thanks!
I interviewed February and I'm still waiting to hear back. I know the class is filling up by now though so that's probably why

Thanks everyone for responding. I was interviewed in the second week of March for alternate list (was told so at the interview, not in the invitation email). Hopefully there will be good news soon for everyone who is waiting.

Interview invite today. I think this is for a waitlist spot.

I see you've already gotten into UCSF. Would you switch to UCLA if you get in?
That would be a tough choice. Both schools are identical in many ways, but the living cost in SF scares me a bit..

Slightly delayed - but interview invite via e-mail 3/29. oGPA ~3.5/sGPA ~3.8; AA:22/TS: 22/PAT: 23

Just got an email from Noemi that next week will be the last week for interviews.

has anyone been denied from UCLA yet? Or do they wait to do that all at once?

I'm turning down my offer. Hope you guys hear good news soon!

Is there anyone getting the letter asking for acceptance of alternate status as I do?