Not open for further replies.

changtw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time again!

c/o 2020
c/o 2019
c/o 2018
As far as I can tell, UCLA begins their interview process much later than other schools, so do not worry if you've been met with silence all the way up until September.

The $60 application fee is mailed into the Student Affairs Office whereas the secondary is sent via e-mail. The application fee will not be processed until the secondary has been received. Keep in mind the secondary (Personal History Form) is quite long at 15 pages. When you submit, make sure it is in the proper format and size (PDF not exceeding 5 mb).

The Admissions Office will not email you to let you know if the PDF is blank or cannot be opened. You have to stay on top of it. If UCLA still does not show up on AADSAS after the requested 3-week buffer, shoot Noemi an e-mail and she will gladly look into it for you.

More information can be found on the School of Dentistry's website:
Here is c/o 2019 at a glance:
  • oGPA: 3.74
  • sGPA: 3.70
  • AA: 23
  • TS: 23
  • PAT: 22
Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied here, it's about 1.5 hours from my house and my sister/brother live in LA! Anyone know when the secondaries are emailed out?

Applied here, it's about 1.5 hours from my house and my sister/brother live in LA! Anyone know when the secondaries are emailed out?
Based on previous cycles, I believe early applicants started receiving secondary requests around mid-July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will they send out secondaries without having taken the DAT yet?

3. What constitutes a complete file?

A complete file includes 1) the application from AADSAS; 2) the personal history form; 3) the $60.00 application fee; 4) a minimum of three (3) letters of recommendation; 5) and official DAT scores.

4. Is AADSAS the only application that UCLA uses?

In addition to the AADSAS online application, all applicants will receive instructions to submit a secondary application – the “personal history form” – from us once we have received your AADSAS application.

UCLA's website states all applicants receive the supplemental (Personal History Form) once the AADSAS application has been received. I would imagine they won't review/consider your application until your file is complete with DAT scores though.

When do you think you'll be taking the DAT?

Thanks!

I'm not taking it until August 9th :(
I wouldn't even worry about that date! Take your time and place all your energy throughout July on studying.

Submit your AADSAS application as soon you can (prior to the mid-July bottleneck) and get verified, then your app with DAT scores will be mailed out towards the end of August. UCLA starts reviewing apps really late - September, I think?

My application was mailed out 3rd week of August, and it was fine. Just remember that it seems they review the apps in the order received, so those who were mailed out earlier than you will be the ones to hear back first.

I wouldn't even worry about that date! Take your time and place all your energy throughout July on studying.

Submit your AADSAS application as soon you can (prior to the mid-July bottleneck) and get verified, then your app with DAT scores will be mailed out towards the end of August. UCLA starts reviewing apps really late - September, I think?

My application was mailed out 3rd week of August, and it was fine. Just remember that it seems they review the apps in the order received, so those who were mailed out earlier than you will be the ones to hear back first.

Thanks for the tips!! I'm out of state so I know I'm at more of a disadvantage then in-state students applying the same time as me. I've actually already submitted my AADSAS application! So, at least I have that covered. haha

Why do we have to mail the $60 fee? when I e submitted my app I paid for all of that with a credit card

Why do we have to mail the $60 fee? when I e submitted my app I paid for all of that with a credit card
When you esubmitted the AADSAS or Secondary app?

When you submit your AADSAS primary application, you select all schools and pay the base fee all at once through the online portal.

Secondary fees vary in method and cost from school to school. UCLA requires a check or money order to be sent into the Admissions Office once the secondary application is ready.

So do I pay the secondary fee now or do I wait for them to send me the secondary app first

So do I pay the secondary fee now or do I wait for them to send me the secondary app first
They will send you an email asking you to fill out the secondary and pay the fee, so wait for that email before you send anything.

how long from when you e submit until you get that email?

how long from when you e submit until you get that email?
2-3 weeks. Applicants from the first batches won't hear back until later this month, when I think UCLA first starts requesting secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,,

Do I submit my fee now or when requested?

Hi Guys,,

Do I submit my fee now or when requested?
When requested. Secondary fee ($60) is physically mailed in once your secondary application (PDF) is ready to be emailed in.

Has anyone received a supplemental application yet?? I haven't, and I submitted my ADEA AADSAS application on June 13th.

Has anyone received a supplemental application yet?? I haven't, and I submitted my ADEA AADSAS application on June 13th.
UCLA is painfully slow (unfortunately), but secondary requests should be rolling in within the next few weeks, if previous cycles are still accurate indicators.

I'm not complaining! :) I had one school send theirs out and requires it back in two weeks. Of course the day it's due is only a few days before I take the DAT. sigh.
UCSF? That timer....:uhno:

If you haven't taken your DAT yet, good luck!

does ucla notify us of application completion via email or aadsas?
The update through AADSAS seems to be a hit or miss. I'm assuming for most applicants, their AADSAS status will be updated with minimal delay. My AADSAS never updated until I emailed them to ask for a status update.

For the AADSAS application, UCLA will send you an email confirming receipt of the primary. This email will also include the secondary application as an attachment. They do not confirm receipt of the secondary through email unless you check with them.

Last edited:
UCLA is slow so be patient and good luck everyone.

Got the secondary today. Holy poo it's almost as long as the primary application!

Reactions: 1 users
Got the secondary today. Holy poo it's almost as long as the primary application!
Yeah haha Seeing 15 pages was surprising, but 10 pages or so were just demographic information. The last few pages have a few short answers that shouldn't take more than 2-3 sentences per question.

anyone else who submitted early did not get the secondary?

Honestly there aren't many unique questions. It essentially makes you redo the entire aadsas application in PDF format (ugh) and then asks why you're applying to UCLA. Most of your writing will come from if you're writing about disadvantaged stuff.

nvm. It's in my spam folder -_-

Reactions: 1 users
Just finished my secondary, submitted it and paid the 60 dollar fee. So I guess I'm done for a while as far as UCLA is concerned!

Just finished my secondary, submitted it and paid the 60 dollar fee. So I guess I'm done for a while as far as UCLA is concerned!

Rand627, when did your application get verified and sent from ADEA AADSAS to the different universities?

Has anyone received secondaries as an OOS?

Rand627, when did your application get verified and sent from ADEA AADSAS to the different universities?
I was first batch! I forget when that was, though.

Got the invitation for the secondary. I luckily checked my spam folder and the invite was there for some reason.

Yep, got the secondary at 7:30pm EST today! Good luck team :)

What is "nature of work" suppose to mean? does it mean Paid or unpaid?

What is "nature of work" suppose to mean? does it mean Paid or unpaid?
In what context? Can you include the entire sentence/prompt?

Just based off of "nature of work," I would assume they just want to know what you did/type of work.

In what context? Can you include the entire sentence/prompt?

Just based off of "nature of work," I would assume they just want to know what you did/type of work.
There is a section under dental related experience in UCLA supplemental application ask for nature of work.

Just got my supplemental! I skimmed through it and it looks REALLY long fyi.

There is a section under dental related experience in UCLA supplemental application ask for nature of work.
Oh ok. I just briefly described my responsibilities in list form (front desk, filing, insurance, back office, stocking, so on). You include any activities relating to dentistry, so shadowing, assisting, etc.

For those of us who haven't done research, should we leave that part blank on the secondary?

For those of us who haven't done research, should we leave that part blank on the secondary?
For portions that weren't applicable, I either wrote "not applicable" or one sentence like "I did not come from a community with shortage in..."

Don't think this is super important, but my aadsas school decisions page for UCLA just switched to Received/Application Complete

For those who've received the secondary, when did you mail you your AADSAS application?

Just got my secondary! App was mailed 7/8/16.

What are you guys using to edit the secondary pdf? Is there a way to change the font size so the stuff I write doesn't run off the page?

I was able to fit it on the pages given..just because it seemed like they wanted it to be concise.

do they actually contact supervisors? some of my stuff is from high school, i'd have to contact those supervisors to make sure they remember me....
As far as I'm aware (personally and from other people), they do not contact supervisors.

I would suggest keeping the font at 12 and condense answers to whatever space is available on the page. Even though the digital text boxes allow you to write past the borders and you can scroll to read them, the excess text will not be visible.

They can't expect you to fit everything in the tiny space that is provided for some of the text boxes. There is no way one could fit their honors/awards in the amount of space they give you. Also they leave you virtually no room to write in your degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.