****The Official UNC Class of 2018 Thread****

I think I flubbed up my very last interview of the day, which happened to be my only one with a SoD faculty member (so the one who would be calling me back), just enough to be on the outside looking in. They'd have to infer a lot from the rest of my application to overcome the interview score I likely have, which takes effort they might not have to expend with so many other good candidates. Now, I *think* I did well in the student interview and my other faculty interview, but, you know, there's always that chance that some point I was making didn't land correctly. I think they average those scores together, though, so, there again, someone would have to pour over the other interviewers notes on my behalf to see that I can actually communicate like an adult.

I've always heard that they come up with 200+ candidates that they would take in a split second, and I don't think I beat out the top 81 or 82 thanks to the interview. We shall see! :luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think many of us are too critical of our interviews and overthink the details. I know I am one of these people. I now just try to trust that whatever happens is what is best for me, and that I really had little to no control of how well the interviews went. I know I gave it my best, but like all of us I'm not perfect, and I'm trying not to focus on the large or small mistakes and imperfections I have or made.
I think I flubbed up my very last interview of the day, which happened to be my only one with a SoD faculty member (so the one who would be calling me back), just enough to be on the outside looking in. They'd have to infer a lot from the rest of my application to overcome the interview score I likely have, which takes effort they might not have to expend with so many other good candidates. Now, I *think* I did well in the student interview and my other faculty interview, but, you know, there's always that chance that some point I was making didn't land correctly. I think they average those scores together, though, so, there again, someone would have to pour over the other interviewers notes on my behalf to see that I can actually communicate like an adult.

I've always heard that they come up with 200+ candidates that they would take in a split second, and I don't think I beat out the top 81 or 82 thanks to the interview. We shall see! :luck::xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck everyone! I hope we all hear great news before Wednesday! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
And may the odds be ever in your favor :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that people are too critical of their interviews. I had one at a different school that I thought I bombed, but the interviewer literally cut things short after about 15 minutes and just flat out told me that he was going to "recommend me highly" for admission. He sized me up pretty quickly, I guess! Needless to say, I was floored, since I felt like I had been floundering. Not every interviewer is so upfront, though, and it leaves us guessing and worrying. I know if I hadn't been told that explicitly, I'd have definitely been kicking myself afterwards. I'll bet that we all tend to do better than we think--we're just outrageously critical of ourselves since we have put so much into this process.

Fingers crossed for lots of calls today and tomorrow! Good luck, everyone! :xf: :woot:

Reactions: 1 users
I think I flubbed up my very last interview of the day, which happened to be my only one with a SoD faculty member (so the one who would be calling me back), just enough to be on the outside looking in.

Though you're new and I don't have too much background on your application or story, you seem like someone who is self-aware, level-headed, and realistic. I think "realists," myself included, can sometimes border on pessimism. I bet you're being too hard on yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
No portal update for me, hopefully my interviewer isn't playing a joke on me haha

I got a call from my first faculty interviewer. No portal update yet for me

Also have not gotten an email yet, but I'm sure it's all to come at some point.

I don't think I ever got an e-mail back when I was accepted in December. Just a call and the packet in the mail. Portal update came in a day or two.

For those of us that have not heard anything, do we still have a chance of them calling later in the day? It seems everyone was called around the same time this morning :(

For those of us that have not heard anything, do we still have a chance of them calling later in the day? It seems everyone was called around the same time this morning :(

When your interviewer called is up to their discretion, you still have the rest of the day today and tomorrow to receive a call.

Well, congratulations to y'all that received an acceptance! I met some very highly qualified applicants this year, just wish I was able to make the trek with some of you. Good luck everyone and Go Heels!

tumblr_ls9dr63gu61r3v6f2o1_500.gif

They may not be, but from my experience last year, they said that they call over 2 days and that the time is up to the discretion of the caller but for the most part the vast majority of calls were done in one day and in the morning.

also I interviewed in Nov. so I did not make 1st round in December decisions and that is not a good sign!

Well that's makes perfect sense and clears everything up since there were so many acceptances this morning

And when will we know if we are waitlisted or not?

Let's keep our chins up until Wednesday!

Will we know which number we are on the waitlist if we are waitlisted in a week?

So for all future dentists, accepted or not, I want to eventually make a post about the feeling of powerlessness we all probably feel during the admissions process, in the face of profoundly life altering events. I have read just a little bit about the fears that people have when they visit the dentist, and they seem to be linked to having no control over their situation in the chair. Children especially, can't handle it, so they make a bit of a fuss about it sometimes.

Now, I am only in the beta stages of linking the two concepts. I may be way off. In the chair it's physical control, in this process it's just some essentially faceless panel of accomplished people deciding our futures that we can't control. However, I'd say bottling the emotion, the uncertainty, the occasional dread, the annoying...uh, suckitude of everything, may lend an extra layer of empathy for the situations of your future patients. Notice how the poor communication of some, with vague messages, is actually more annoying than helpful. Some of your patients may be equally put off by poor messaging.

I realize this may not apply to every applicant, or every patient, but it seems like it's worth noting. I'm no psych. major, but I'm interested to know if there are any noted parallels.

Of course, they get local anesthetic. I don't think beer and some Heels basketball later today will be quite as effective.

Hahah I like the comparison and post. I can see a similarity for sure, and I think you offered some good wisdom there.

According to last year's thread, people found out if they were denied via aadsas about 2 days after the calls went out for acceptances

One of my friends just got an acceptance call in the last 15 minutes...don't lost hope for those that are still waiting :)

So I want to test the PID hypothesis. If you got the call today, and have not had any prior history (ex. classes or research) at UNC, for those who checked, did you have a PID before they called you today?

I got an unofficial denial from someone I'd been communicating with in the SoD who would know. I don't think I even made the wait list. I might post my stats later, but basically the only thing that would stand out is my PAT score. I suppose I'll be working on that. That may demonstrate the power of an interview, because I supposedly had a chance when they asked me to come in, but a couple things happened and now my last hope is in the few spots that are still open at ECU.

I'm not even an interview novice, I just picked the wrong style, I think.

Best wishes to everyone else going forward, of course.

I got an unofficial denial from someone I'd been communicating with in the SoD who would know. I don't think I even made the wait list. I might post my stats later, but basically the only thing that would stand out is my PAT score. I suppose I'll be working on that. That may demonstrate the power of an interview, because I supposedly had a chance when they asked me to come in, but a couple things happened and now my last hope is in the few spots that are still open at ECU.

I'm not even an interview novice, I just picked the wrong style, I think.

Best wishes to everyone else going forward, of course.

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself about your interview. Any of us that got interviews and haven't heard had a chance to get in before the interview, and now we're likely in the same spot as you.

And to completely solidify the PID theory, did those of you (like myself) that did not get accepted not have a PID either? I didn't have a PID and did not get a call, so maybe the theory is valid!

I have no PID (after many frustrating login attempts to confirm this :) ); however, I got an acceptance call today. Good luck.

And I HAD a PID and have never attended or taken classes at UNC and I didn't get a call today.