***The Official UNC SoD Class of 2020 Thread***

FlossOrGetShot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

My dream school. I'm OOS though so I definitely know it'll be a real challenge getting in!

My dream school. I'm OOS though so I definitely know it'll be a real challenge getting in!
Yeah, long odds. Class size is 81 I believe. But state law requires at least 82% to be from in the state, leaving about 14 slots for the rest of us. Half will be male, and half female, so you are down to 7. They always want a diverse student body, so that leaves a couple of slots if you are white or asian, and only one if you are anything else. However, if your name used to be Bruce Jenner your odds immediately double. You can't win if you don't play the game though. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, long odds. Class size is 81 I believe. But state law requires at least 82% to be from in the state, leaving about 14 slots for the rest of us. Half will be male, and half female, so you are down to 7. They always want a diverse student body, so that leaves a couple of slots if you are white or asian, and only one if you are anything else. However, if your name used to be Bruce Jenner your odds immediately double. You can't win if you don't play the game though. Good luck!

Hah I am asian! Yeah I understand it's a HUUUGE reach but like you said, I gotta play to get a chance!

I submitted my application yesterday and received the supplemental application today.Is it default,did anyone else get is as well?
I filled out the form with$85 fee, a photo was requested via email.

I got the email, and I haven't even finished my app. I am pretty sure if you have the UNC box ticked on school designations you received the email.

I also received an supplemental e-mail but haven't submitted my official app yet. In-state.

Sent everything including supplemental and got the email two days later. Pretty sure it's just automated.

I am OOS as well :) But it is a beautiful school and I wish I could get in haha

For their question about if you're applying to other dental school, if yes where
what did you guys put?

For their question about if you're applying to other dental school, if yes where
what did you guys put?
I just wrote the schools I applied to. Weird question though...

I got my interview invite in august last year, OOS student . They do 4-5 interview days and I got the impression last year that OOS people get first interview day. Other people told me similar.

UNC was fantastic. I just didn't like that I couldn't reschedule my original date. It was pretty much a take it or leave it attitude which I don't agree with if I'm asking to reschedule within the same hour of the original email(had to leave the country for a family matter) Luckily I got the last interview invitation a few months later and got to see how beautiful UNC and NC was. Defiantly have my eyes on the state for a possible relocation later in life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my interview invite in august last year, OOS student . They do 4-5 interview days and I got the impression last year that OOS people get first interview day. Other people told me similar.

UNC was fantastic. I just didn't like that I couldn't reschedule my original date. It was pretty much a take it or leave it attitude which I don't agree with if I'm asking to reschedule within the same hour of the original email(had to leave the country for a family matter) Luckily I got the last interview invitation a few months later and got to see how beautiful UNC and NC was. Defiantly have my eyes on the state for a possible relocation later in life.

May I ask what your stats were :D?

I'm applying as an OOS (Georgia). Good luck, everyone.

Last edited:
Finally mailed everything related to the supplemental app. Anyone else finish the residency form? I don't remember any of the previous ones I've filled out being that long and complicated... oh well.

Sweet, application is under review.

Before submitting supplemental, did any one notice a random date entered for one of the military questions?

Before submitting supplemental, did any one notice a random date entered for one of the military questions?

It's the default date even if you didn't serve. I think it ended with the year 1900. I tried deleting it but it kept popping up, so I'm pretty sure it has to have some entry for submission.

Okay, cool. I'm using mozilla btw if anyone thinks it may be a browser thing.

Anyone visit UNC dental at all? What'd you guys like about it?

my favorite parts

open door policy with professors
world-class professors (some even wrote the textbooks all dental schools use!)
research opportunity
tradition and history
diverse class of students

Stop, a school can only get so dreamy.

Got an email that said my "AADSAS Application, Online Supplemental application, forms, and fee" were all received. But my GPA hasn't even been verified on AADSAS yet. Hmmmm.... :confused:

Got an email that said my "AADSAS Application, Online Supplemental application, forms, and fee" were all received. But my GPA hasn't even been verified on AADSAS yet. Hmmmm.... :confused:
I got the same!

+1

GPA still isn't verified and I e-submitted 6/26

I got one today requesting that I do the supplemental. GPA still not verified. I think today was just their day to organize all their partially-complete applicants haha

I got one today requesting that I do the supplemental. GPA still not verified. I think today was just their day to organize all their partially-complete applicants haha
Yup I got that same email. We are making progress!

Has anyone gotten an email about UNC having received the mailed-in forms recently? I sent mine about a week ago and have no idea if they got there. Wondering if/when I should call and ask.

Has anyone gotten an email about UNC having received the mailed-in forms recently? I sent mine about a week ago and have no idea if they got there. Wondering if/when I should call and ask.
Mail in forms? I mean I got a "complete/under review", sent my check like last month and did the supplemental last month.

Mail in forms? I mean I got a "complete/under review", sent my check like last month and did the supplemental last month.
Ya like the honor code and stuff that you print out, sign, and mail in. It popped up after I finished the supplemental. I saw people got that email last week, but I haven't gotten it yet. I'm hoping it didn't get lost in the mail!

Ya like the honor code and stuff that you print out, sign, and mail in. It popped up after I finished the supplemental. I saw people got that email last week, but I haven't gotten it yet. I'm hoping it didn't get lost in the mail!

Just wait and see!

I got my email today, along with one from UAB, after my GPA was verified earlier this week. I sent out my secondary and forms about two weeks ago. I think you'll receive that complete/under review e-mail after your GPA is verified.

I got my email today, along with one from UAB, after my GPA was verified earlier this week. I sent out my secondary and forms about two weeks ago. I think you'll receive that complete/under review e-mail after your GPA is verified.
Yup just got mine like 10 minutes ago! GPA still not verified, but I just like having confirmation that stuff wasn't lost in the mail. This is also, apparently, confirmation that I'm impatient haha. It seems like UNC sendd these updates every week if there are changes in the status of your application

Yup just got mine like 10 minutes ago! GPA still not verified, but I just like having confirmation that stuff wasn't lost in the mail. This is also, apparently, confirmation that I'm impatient haha. It seems like UNC sendd these updates every week if there are changes in the status of your application
Ugh, I'm checking SDN like every hour and it's been sooooo slow. These next months are going to be the death of me.

Hey all! I'm an upcoming D1 at UNC. Just wanted to tell everyone good luck. I know what you're going through! Feel free to shoot me and questions if you have any. I've got some free days before classes start!

Reactions: 2 users
Damn, I'll never know when the check is cashed, I sent them a money order.

I reallly, realllllllllllllllllllly want this.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn, I'll never know when the check is cashed, I sent them a money order.

I reallly, realllllllllllllllllllly want this.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think in the e-mail that Ms. Carolyn Oakes sent out, it said that if you send the $84 as a check, it could take up to 2 weeks to clear. does money order work the same way??

i sent the $84 in cash along with my paperwork (residency and honor code forms) which was definitely risky, but i made sure to get tracking for it and called (and emailed...) to make sure she got it. my supplemental was received and processed in one day...

Did anyone fill out the supplemental application before getting any email (after submitting the AADSAS app)?

Interview invite received! Going September 12th!

EDIT: In-state applicant.

Last edited: