The Official UNE Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread

I could be wrong, but perhaps it'll calm you to hear it took them the better half of a month to send a secondary. Also- check your spam folders. I haven't had any trouble with gmail, but people using [inferior] servers have experienced some over zealous inbox protection.

Could you please tell what exactly was their secondary Application? i never received an email saying they want any fee or anything for application process. i just got an email once from them saying "We have received your AADSAS application to the DMD Program for the fall of 2014. Please look to hear from us soon regarding your application status."

i am really confused about this whole thing?
can anyone help pleaseeeeeee

Members don't see this ad.

Could you please tell what exactly was their secondary Application? i never received an email saying they want any fee or anything for application process. i just got an email once from them saying "We have received your AADSAS application to the DMD Program for the fall of 2014. Please look to hear from us soon regarding your application status."

i am really confused about this whole thing?
can anyone help pleaseeeeeee

I received two emails same day!! One application received and another supplemental request!! Check throughout the email, there was a link to the supplemental!! I know there was some questions to answer and pay fee

The interview was awesome. Everyone is super nice. You will be in. Room with the other interviewees and can eat breakfast if you want. You will listen to the dean speak and then go to interview or q&a with the dean. The interview is 25 min and super super relaxed. Then lunch and a campus tour.
Can you provide more specific details on the interview? What types of questions should we think about to help prepare? Some predents in last cycle's UNE thread were saying they grill you on ethical questions...is it still this way this year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you provide more specific details on the interview? What types of questions should we think about to help prepare? Some predents in last cycle's UNE thread were saying they grill you on ethical questions...is it still this way this year?

Thanks!
They ask you questions pertaining to you, dentistry, and life. So as long as you know lots about yourself, the career, and living, you'll be good to go. Several questions I think they ask everyone:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you want to be a dentist?
2) True or False, Do you have what it takes to make it in dental school?
3) Out of all the other applicants you've met today, who do you think is the best candidate? Why?
4) If you could be any tooth in the mouth, which one would you be?
5) What is 32 degrees Fahrenheit in Kelvins?
6) Define "tooth"
7) Interviewer opens an unmarked flask, asks you to waft scent contained in flask towards yourself, and then asks you to describe the first memory that comes to mind associated with unnamed scent.
8) When was the last time you flossed someone else's teeth?

They ask you questions pertaining to you, dentistry, and life. So as long as you know lots about yourself, the career, and living, you'll be good to go. Several questions I think they ask everyone:
3) Out of all the other applicants you've met today, who do you think is the best candidate? Why?
6) Define "tooth"
7) Interviewer opens an unmarked flask, asks you to waft scent contained in flask towards yourself, and then asks you to describe the first memory that comes to mind associated with unnamed scent.

6) Define "tooth"

So, with number five they want to see if you can do mental math and remember formulas?
And what's up with 6,7 and 8? Those are a bit off beat.

So, with number five they want to see if you can do mental math and remember formulas?

I don't really see what they stand to gain from the question, other than making the applicant even more nervous, but I guess they're seeing how long it takes for you to mentally compute:

32°F = 0°C = 273 K

In the heat of an interview, I suspect a lot of students fall into the trap of a knee-jerk reaction to just add 273 to 32.

Last edited:
People, I'm a bit worried that you didn't pick up on the humor of the post...those weren't actual questions. Admittedly, I wanted to just let everyone play it out, but I'm too kindhearted...

Just be yourself during the interview...don't try to be someone you're not, or try to sound more impressive than you are, or they'll pick up on that. Many of the questions will be specific to you and you alone. They don't want someone that has practiced answers, after all anyone can give a cookie cutter, pre-baked answer...they want to know who you really are, so don't cheat them by trying to give them answers you think they want to hear.

The faculty and staff are top notch, and the new building is incredible. You'll love it, I know I did.

Again, don't get too worked up about it and just be yourself.

Sorry for the little bit of humor.

People, I'm a bit worried that you didn't pick up on the humor of the post...those weren't actual questions. Admittedly, I wanted to just let everyone play it out, but I'm too kindhearted...

Just be yourself during the interview...don't try to be someone you're not, or try to sound more impressive than you are, or they'll pick up on that. Many of the questions will be specific to you and you alone. They don't want someone that has practiced answers, after all anyone can give a cookie cutter, pre-baked answer...they want to know who you really are, so don't cheat them by trying to give them answers you think they want to hear.

The faculty and staff are top notch, and the new building is incredible. You'll love it, I know I did.

hahaha this is awesome.

the questions were just within the realm of reality that I thought you were actually asked those questions... but I guess maybe I should have been tipped off when I read "which tooth would you be" haha, good one.

I knew they weren't true but was wondering where you came up with those, especially 7 :laugh:

I have a temple interview on the 10th too...literally catching a flight right after. See you there Chga! Congrats!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the invite to interview on October 11th today!! I am so excited

Interviewing on the 21st of October. Where's everyone staying? What's the best place to stay?

Thanks

Alright so interview was mega chill!! Everyone was nice, no need to get nervous.,, I do recommend checking out old port while you there !

Nice!! :) Congrats guys! I'll see you on the 21st. If any of you are staying in Portland that night, let me know, I'd love to do something other than sit in my hotel room lol :) hit me up, maybe we can do some tourism hehe :) and if any of you are from Portland, even better -- you can show me around! Lol

Hi guys
I got interview for Oct 28
does anyone know where we are going to be interviewed?
Portland campus of Biddeford?
There is not much info in interview email

you're at the portland campus.
the other main is for undergrad/medical students
portland is for dental, pharmacy, nursing, dental hygiene

You have one individual interview with two faculty. The level of question seemed to differ depending on your interviewers. I had a mixture of personal, ethical, leadership, and dental related questions. I thought it was a lot tougher than my interview at NOVA, but other seemed to have the exact opposite experience so it is a crap shoot. I wish I had prepared more instead of watching Project Runway :D Lunch was pretty awesome especially the granola-cranberry balls. The area around the campus is really beautiful and quiet. It seems like a great place to live.

Sometimes, you can get accepted to a school that you didn't expect. I interviewed far better at Tufts than UNE, yet was waitlisted there, and accepted at UNE. You never know!

Just received an interview invite for Dec. 2nd! The email said this was their last scheduled interview....I'm assuming this counts as a "pre-december" as in last interview before first round picks go out? Anyone else interviewing this day?

Reactions: 1 user
I also received an interview invite for Dec. 2. I'm OOS from Utah.

Just received an interview invite for Dec. 2nd! The email said this was their last scheduled interview....I'm assuming this counts as a "pre-december" as in last interview before first round picks go out? Anyone else interviewing this day?
I also received an interview invite for Dec. 2. I'm OOS from Utah.

I saw in the ADEA book that the class size was 48 but I thought I saw somewhere that it's increased since then. I can't seem to find this information anywhere again so is this true and does anyone know stats as far as general ballpark of how many are interviewed and how many are accepted?

I interviewed there on Oct 11th. The school has excellent facilities to learn dentistry, lots of technology. Anyways the class size is at 64.

We have a class size of 64. So far, nobody has dropped. I do not know the stats on how many interviewed and how many were accepted. I know there was about 1500 apps last cycle, this cycle there are more.

I'm also interviewing 10/28 in the PM session. 20/21/24 GPA 3.5 OOS, from Chicago, IL

We have a class size of 64. So far, nobody has dropped. I do not know the stats on how many interviewed and how many were accepted. I know there was about 1500 apps last cycle, this cycle there are more.

Thanks for the information! :)

Do you know if anyone else got interviewed by two faculty members? I thought we all gonna have one to one interviews.

Do you know if anyone else got interviewed by two faculty members? I thought we all gonna have one to one interviews.

I've been under the impression that everyone's interviewed by two faculty. Maybe someone meant one-on-one interview as not being a group interview where there are 6 students getting interviewed together, for example.

I was interviewed by two faculty members...really nice and welcoming too

For those who interviewed already, was the interview open-file or closed-file?

Thanks for your responses guys
As long as the interviewees are welcoming, it doesn't matter how many faculty members interview us
I believe interviews are open-file

My status on AADSAS went from Under Review to Application Complete... Still no invite, so does this mean they made up their mind to reject me? :(

I have to say I was definitely impressed with UNE! ;)

Going into it, I wasn't too sure what to expect since we all know it's a new school, but I now feel assured from Dean Koelbl and the rest of the faculty that the dental school and students will really be something special. You can feel the excitement in the air about the program and where they see things going. It's not for everyone because I think the students have to be flexible and not easily stressed to take on any adjustments needing to be made as the school and curriculum evolve and grow. That's something they put emphasis on - if you find it's not a good pick for you, that's ok (btw I loved their honesty and realness in saying this to the candidates since most schools put on this facade about how they're the perfect school for every person).

Something I really liked about the school that I haven't experienced so much at other interviews was that everyone seemed very approachable and personable, even Dr. Koelbl, and that aspect certainly didn't happen by accident. So my advice for anyone with an upcoming interview is to seriously JUST RELAX and be yourselves, I know it's said a lot on these forums, but it especially holds true here. Haha, I actually got more nervous for this interview after their presentations because I can truly see myself enjoying their program and becoming a part of something bigger in helping the people of the area with their dental and overall health needs. As long as you're truly yourself, then you'll have a pleasant interview. Plus, the real determining factor for me came when they had whoopie pies for dessert :p

Also as a side note-- if you recently interviewed and couldn't find a parking space and I got into your rental car to help find a spot and then we trekked to the dental building before the interview, message me! You seem like a cool person who I'd like to keep in contact with! The more friends, the merrier :)

My status on AADSAS went from Under Review to Application Complete... Still no invite, so does this mean they made up their mind to reject me? :(

Anyone know the answer to this? Did people with interview invites ever have their status change to this before they received an invite?

Anyone know the answer to this? Did people with interview invites ever have their status change to this before they received an invite?

I can only speak for my own situation, but mine went from 'under review' to 'invited for interview.'

Mine went from " under review" to "invited for interview" as well. I am interviewing on the 2nd of december and the email said this was their last scheduled interview day. From looking at last years page they will have more interviews after the holidays.

"Feel free to let everyone on SDN know it is not a rejection!"

Reactions: 1 user