***The Official Univ, of Maryland Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Hey guys for those of you still waiting there is still hope after May 1st. I was worrying myself to death until I was contacted on May 5th, so I wish the best for y'all still waiting. On a side note, is there some group I can join for those accepted? I really need to find a roommate. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, have any accepted students figured out their housing situation yet? Just curious to see if I'm behind or not!

Thanks
Hey bud I just got accepted and trying to find a roommate. Can you help a brother out with where I can look or anything?

Hey guys for those of you still waiting there is still hope after May 1st. I was worrying myself to death until I was contacted on May 5th, so I wish the best for y'all still waiting. On a side note, is there some group I can join for those accepted? I really need to find a roommate. Thanks.
Were you on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! I got accepted May 5th as well. Please share if you find information about roommates!

I wasn't on the waitlist; I interviewed in Feb and had "Invited to Interview" until my acceptance.

Same here! I got accepted May 5th as well. Please share if you find information about roommates!

I wasn't on the waitlist; I interviewed in Feb and had "Invited to Interview" until my acceptance.

Are you IS or OOS?

No news thus far

Congrats. I also interviewed in Feb, and haven't heard anything back even a WL. So sad for cont. waiting

seems like most of the movement on the WL is for OOS.
should IS folks just give up and move on?

I know there is a ratio of IS/OOS they have to maintain, but at some point does it become a free for all?

seems like most of the movement on the WL is for OOS.
should IS folks just give up and move on?

I know there is a ratio of IS/OOS they have to maintain, but at some point does it become a free for all?

I applied last year and was waitlisted. I had a phone appointment with the dean of admissions in July and asked her about the possibility of getting off the waitlist. She said that since I was IS an IS student would have to drop before the start of classes for me to get off the waitlist.

I applied last year and was waitlisted. I had a phone appointment with the dean of admissions in July and asked her about the possibility of getting off the waitlist. She said that since I was IS an IS student would have to drop before the start of classes for me to get off the waitlist.

ahh. i see.

Does anyone know of an IS student that got in from the wait list?

Glad you got in this year. Did the dean say anything about wait list kids that reapply getting preference? or are you basically just starting all over again?

ahh. i see.

Does anyone know of an IS student that got in from the wait list?

Glad you got in this year. Did the dean say anything about wait list kids that reapply getting preference? or are you basically just starting all over again?

She didn't say anything about preference, but they like it if you consistently email them with updates of how you have been improving your application since last cycle.
She told me she likes to see applicants stay academically involved. It is also good to keep up your volunteering and shadowing while reapplying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
She didn't say anything about preference, but they like it if you consistently email them with updates of how you have been improving your application since last cycle.
She told me she likes to see applicants stay academically involved. It is also good to keep up your volunteering and shadowing while reapplying.

Thanks for the info.
Trying to keep my head up, and keep it real at the same time.

summer school, here i come :-/

Thanks for the info.
Trying to keep my head up, and keep it real at the same time.

summer school, here i come :-/

No problem. I know that feeling, but you just gotta stay positive.
I'm actually thankful for the extra year cause my wife started law school, and if we would have started at the same time we probably would have ripped each other's heads off haha. Not only that, but I feel that I have become a lot more focused and serious about pursuing the dental profession (not saying that anyone isn't focused and serious, just strictly talking about my case). I have the philosophy that everything happens for a reason.
Also remember, waitlist means they want you but just don't have enough seats at the moment. So as long as you show your dedication to studying, volunteering, and shadowing, and keep updating the admissions office on what you've been doing and reiterating that Maryland is your number one choice, I'm positive you'll get in.

Hi "carolingette". I don't think there's any synchronicity between AADSAS online app and this or any other school's decision making. You just have to hang in there like me! This school is cautious. It may be an artifact of a state school and their process (??)- who knows. I've called and emailed. Bottom line is no news is good news ( I guess) and just have sit
patiently until the final last note is played.

Last edited:
Wow! I just noticed that some of you were getting acceptance emails! I thought it would be a letter first.
I suppose that's nice to get fast notice. Congrats, again.:)

Hey guys I am a D1 at UMD right now. I was wait listed for a while and finally was accepted in like June or July. Dr. Porter shot me an email to let me know. Good luck!

Hey guys I am a D1 at UMD right now. I was wait listed for a while and finally was accepted in like June or July. Dr. Porter shot me an email to let me know. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing Nick. I'm an IS wait lister and have been wondering if there is even a chance that someone that is IS will drop for me to have a chance.

How was your first year?

To those that have accepted offers, has anyone received financial aid/loan information yet? I submitted my FAFSA in February, and when I checked in last week, they still hadn't reviewed it. Any current students that might be able to offer guidance about how much time it takes to get loans processed? Should I start hunting for private loans now (assuming that I'll go over the federal allotment), or should I hold tight for more information from the school?

Thanks so much.

To those that have accepted offers, has anyone received financial aid/loan information yet? I submitted my FAFSA in February, and when I checked in last week, they still hadn't reviewed it. Any current students that might be able to offer guidance about how much time it takes to get loans processed? Should I start hunting for private loans now (assuming that I'll go over the federal allotment), or should I hold tight for more information from the school?

Thanks so much.
Did you call the financial aid and loans office at 410-706-7347? I was getting antsy about a month ago when I didn't hear back despite submitting my FAFSA around the same time you did. I decided to call them and they said that they already had loan offers going out 2 weeks prior to me calling them. They directed me to their SURFS site where I made an account and I saw my loan awards.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get in-state after your first year?

I have a cousin who is a D2 at Maryland right now, we're Virginia residents but she is still paying OOS. When she was a D1, they told her she would *definitely* have in-state by D2, and is now being told, it'll be by D3.

She moved to Maryland in August, but the next year's financial aid was determined by March, so if you are dead set on attending UMaryland, move out there as soon as possible! Find a job at the NIH!

I have a cousin who is a D2 at Maryland right now, we're Virginia residents but she is still paying OOS. When she was a D1, they told her she would *definitely* have in-state by D2, and is now being told, it'll be by D3.

She moved to Maryland in August, but the next year's financial aid was determined by March, so if you are dead set on attending UMaryland, move out there as soon as possible! Find a job at the NIH!
Oh cool, I'm also from Virginia. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll likely end up paying OOS for D2 too then.

Oh cool, I'm also from Virginia. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll likely end up paying OOS for D2 too then.
Yeah well don't sweat it! Hopefully you'll get it by d3 and if not post grad salaries will take care of it

Look into nhsc! A friend of mine did that at VCU dental. Fullride sweet deal imo

Yeah well don't sweat it! Hopefully you'll get it by d3 and if not post grad salaries will take care of it

Look into nhsc! A friend of mine did that at VCU dental. Fullride sweet deal imo
I looked into nhsc. It looks like it starts after dental school right?

Thanks for sharing Nick. I'm an IS wait lister and have been wondering if there is even a chance that someone that is IS will drop for me to have a chance.

How was your first year?

Im sure there will still be some spots opening up, so hopefully they'll pick you to fill one of them.

The first year was awesome. It goes by super fast because you are busy the whole time. IMO each class (and test) is actually easier than undergrad (besides Anatomy). The only thing that makes it difficult is the fact that you are taking so many classes at once.

Hello guys, I am planning on applying to UMD this year, my application is complete and I am just waiting to verify my GPA, I was wondering for those that got in/ interviewed how much is the tuition for out of state applicants. I saw the website it says about 29 k ( for OOS students). I am not sure if that mean 29 k for the entire year or that times three. It would be really awesome if someone can give me an insight idea. Tuition cost is a big one for me, as I do not have a lot of resources. I am Canadian, and Dental School in the states are super expensive and exceed the limit of Canadian student loans Caps

Hello guys, I am planning on applying to UMD this year, my application is complete and I am just waiting to verify my GPA, I was wondering for those that got in/ interviewed how much is the tuition for out of state applicants. I saw the website it says about 29 k ( for OOS students). I am not sure if that mean 29 k for the entire year or that times three. It would be really awesome if someone can give me an insight idea. Tuition cost is a big one for me, as I do not have a lot of resources. I am Canadian, and Dental School in the states are super expensive and exceed the limit of Canadian student loans Caps
Resident tuition is 14,900.50 / semester
Non-resident tuition is 29,783.00/ semester

Has anyone done all of the online stuff such as the videos and quizzes we have to do prior to matriculation?

Has anyone done all of the online stuff such as the videos and quizzes we have to do prior to matriculation?
Yeah I did. Axium's tutorial was painful to learn... I hope they actually give us more practice in person.

I'm doing a couple each day. It's less painful that way.

I'm doing a couple each day. It's less painful that way.
Yeah I did about 2 a day and finished it up over 3 days. Wait til you get to Axium's tutorial. It's so dry and painful to watch.

Yea I'm definitely not looking forward to the Axium tutorial.

Yeah I did about 2 a day and finished it up over 3 days. Wait til you get to Axium's tutorial. It's so dry and painful to watch.

After you guys finished it, by any chance did you guys get an email reply back from BB-completed? I haven't gotten anything back so I'm just assuming it's good to go.

After you guys finished it, by any chance did you guys get an email reply back from BB-completed? I haven't gotten anything back so I'm just assuming it's good to go.
Nope I haven't received a reply either.

Awesome, I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Diggin the Beal pic, hopefully Oubre can add something
Yup, hopefully he can add something to the small forward spot since Pierce is gone. You wouldn't happen to be a Wizards fan by any chance? It seems like everyone from Baltimore is obsessed with the Orioles and Ravens haha.

Last edited:
Yup, hopefully he can add something to the small forward spot since Pierce is gone. You wouldn't happen to be a Wizards fan by any chance? It seems like everyone from Baltimore is obsessed with the Orioles and Ravens haha.
Yeah I am man, I'm from Northern Virginia so I grew up on the other side of the beltway watching the Wiz and Skins. I tell you what, losing Pierce is tough, but I think Otto Porter's gonna be just fine. I've got high hopes for him.

Yeah I am man, I'm from Northern Virginia so I grew up on the other side of the beltway watching the Wiz and Skins. I tell you what, losing Pierce is tough, but I think Otto Porter's gonna be just fine. I've got high hopes for him.
That's awesome we got tons in common! I'm also from NOVA and so is my roommate. He will be attending the SOD too.

Yeah Porter should be good to go this year. Hopefully Wittman embraces small ball like he promised for the next season though.

That's awesome we got tons in common! I'm also from NOVA and so is my roommate. He will be attending the SOD too.

Yeah Porter should be good to go this year. Hopefully Wittman embraces small ball like he promised for the next season though.
Sounds good man. What area in NOVA? And yeah we'll have to see what happens with the small ball. Nene is not a fan of it, but maybe we can shop him around this offseason, although I doubt we have any takers.

Sounds good man. What area in NOVA? And yeah we'll have to see what happens with the small ball. Nene is not a fan of it, but maybe we can shop him around this offseason, although I doubt we have any takers.
Fairfax

Those videos we have to watch, about how long do they take? I'm trying to work them in my schedule... much appreciated future classmates!

Those videos we have to watch, about how long do they take? I'm trying to work them in my schedule... much appreciated future classmates!
The shortest video is 15 mins. The rest of the videos are 45 mins to an hour long. The malpractice video is 2 hours long but I actually liked it. I felt like I was watching one of those afternoon judge shows.

Has anybody had issues sending in final transcripts? The office said that they wanted them by July 1, but my undergrad college was pretty slow at posting the degrees. So I contacted the office of admissions and they said just to get them over soon, so I did as soon as my degree was posted. I sent an email too like they asked me to as well. Here it is, July 10, and I still have no word on my transcripts. I called again and they said that it might have been received but not reviewed yet. Once it is reviewed, they will send me an email.

Is anybody in a similar situation? I can't help but feel worried.

Hi I'm currently applying for the UMD School of Dentistry Class of 2020. I just wanted to ask about the supplemental application. Since a lot of you already went through the entire cycle, I was wondering whether or not its true that the supplemental application means getting an interview. It seems like everyone I knew so far who received a supplemental invite was also invited for an interview. I received a supp. app yesterday about 20 minutes after it was stated that my application was under review, and am filling it out at the moment.

Kmuppall,

It does seem like most people who were asked to submit a supplemental got interviews but not necessarily right away. I submitted the supplemental in July last year and didn't get an interview until mid-January! I am OOS (from Va) super excited to start school on the 12th! Good luck on your interviews this year :)

Kmuppall,

It does seem like most people who were asked to submit a supplemental got interviews but not necessarily right away. I submitted the supplemental in July last year and didn't get an interview until mid-January! I am OOS (from Va) super excited to start school on the 12th! Good luck on your interviews this year :)

Hokie92,

Thanks for letting me know. If you don't mind me asking, what was Maryland's interview like for you? I've heard a lot of mixed things about it from people who have interviewed there (both matriculants and rejected interviewees). I know quite a few people there. Btw congrats on acceptance!

Last edited:
Hokie92,

Thanks for letting me know. If you don't mind me asking, what was Maryland's interview like for you? I've heard a lot of mixed things about it from people who have interviewed there (both matriculants and rejected interviewees). I know quite a few people there. Btw congrats on acceptance!

kmuppall,

I thought the interview was great! I had recently interviewed at VCU and there was just this serious intense vibe all day, it had me anxious and not on my game. When I went to the Maryland interview it was like home right away, the faculty and staff and students helping were all so laid back and fun. The new facilities and cool people had me loving the school and I think it made the interview easier. The actual interview was one professor and a third year student, they asked a few of their standard questions and were really nice and easy going, very conversational interview. I found out from several other people that they had the same exact or very similar questions in theirs, which made me happy because at VCU the interviews just seemed to be whatever questions the staff felt like asking. I think consistent questioning is really important when comparing applicants who have been interviewed by different people. If you have any other questions let me know!! ;)

Hokie92,

Since you were admitted, any advice you can offer on how to do really well on the Maryland interview? I'm just asking because this is my dream school.