***The Official Univ, of Maryland Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I just got an e-mail saying

Your application has been processed and your admissions file has been forwarded to the Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions for review.

But my committee letter hasn't even been submitted yet. Does maryland not consider LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

Also got the supplemental today (Out of State, app received 6/17). I wasn't sure if I should send in my video? Instructions say "professional format and content featuring only the applicant" -- The video I made was very movie trailer-esque (like an action movie), but it's about my work in a dental research lab (no dialogue, just action shots of pipettes, composite samples, and test tubes with word texts).

Any suggestions?

I just got an e-mail saying

Your application has been processed and your admissions file has been forwarded to the Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions for review.

But my committee letter hasn't even been submitted yet. Does maryland not consider LOR?
They do! however, it appears that they will forward your app to their Adcom while waiting for it.
Also got the supplemental today (Out of State, app received 6/17). I wasn't sure if I should send in my video? Instructions say "professional format and content featuring only the applicant" -- The video I made was very movie trailer-esque (like an action movie), but it's about my work in a dental research lab (no dialogue, just action shots of pipettes, composite samples, and test tubes with word texts).

Any suggestions?
Didn't they ask for specific information about you on their list? If your video does not specifically address those topics, I would think it would do more harm than good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone who applied have a general biology and gen/ochem letter of evaluation? Through my AADSAS, I only submitted a physics, English, and Biochem letter along with a dentist letter. Will the biochem letter fulfill both biology and chemistry letter requirement? If not, what will biochem count as?

They do! however, it appears that they will forward your app to their Adcom while waiting for it.

Didn't they ask for specific information about you on their list? If your video does not specifically address those topics, I would think it would do more harm than good.

They did not ask for specific information, but gave a few suggestions for topics such as "why dentistry." but are not limited to these topics

Does everyone who applied have a general biology and gen/ochem letter of evaluation? Through my AADSAS, I only submitted a physics, English, and Biochem letter along with a dentist letter. Will the biochem letter fulfill both biology and chemistry letter requirement? If not, what will biochem count as?
Biochem counts for the department you took the class with. For example, my school offers biochem with both the chem and bio departments. I took the chem one, so the letter I got from my biochem professor counts as a chem letter. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you can call just to be sure. If you're the type of applicant they're looking for, I seriously doubt they'll refuse to consider you just because you have a physics letter instead of a chem one or whatever the case may be.

When uploading our 2x2 pics we have to follow the following:

"Please provide a 2 x 2 photograph. The picture file must be in jpeg format and must not exceed 500 kb in size. Please make sure that the photograph is not larger than 2" x 2" or 472 x 472 pixels."

My pic is 2x2, in jpeg format, and less than 500kb in size. It is slightly less than 400x400 pixels and it comes out a little fuzzy when you go to preview it on the UMD application page. I want to make it 470x470, but my scanner will not allow to scan in that specific resolution for a 2x2. Anyone else getting a slightly fuzzy picture after they upload it?

When uploading our 2x2 pics we have to follow the following:

"Please provide a 2 x 2 photograph. The picture file must be in jpeg format and must not exceed 500 kb in size. Please make sure that the photograph is not larger than 2" x 2" or 472 x 472 pixels."

My pic is 2x2, in jpeg format, and less than 500kb in size. It is slightly less than 400x400 pixels and it comes out a little fuzzy when you go to preview it on the UMD application page. I want to make it 470x470, but my scanner will not allow to scan in that specific resolution for a 2x2. Anyone else getting a slightly fuzzy picture after they upload it?
Yup I am. I just left it as is lol. Maybe that was too lazy of me but oh well. I think the preview feature distorts it

My AADSAS portal says Application Complete from Under Review for University of Maryland. :D

So has anyone got the actual interview invite yet? I submitted my supp late afternoon on last Thurs, and haven't heard from them yet.
I only got the application complete email.

So has anyone got the actual interview invite yet? I submitted my supp late afternoon on last Thurs, and haven't heard from them yet.
I only got the application complete email.
I submitted last Friday, but haven't heard from them yet.

How do you know what batch you're in? And did you have a professional take your photo for the supplemental? I just took it with my macbook to get it over with.. Is that bad?

How do you know what batch you're in? And did you have a professional take your photo for the supplemental? I just took it with my macbook to get it over with.. Is that bad?

First batch was 6/20 and the second was 6/27 and then every Friday, you can count and see which one you're in. It doesn't have to be too professional, as long as you look normal and somewhat decent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone apply with lower stats? I'm in state. Doing an MS degree

Hello I thought I would jump in too. Just got the Supplemental application email. I am OOS, and I am a Masters student. I am pretty excited. Good luck to everyone. By the way. I know that some have said that this is a good sign, but does anyone know if they send this supplemental request to most people? or only to those who they are interested in?

Thank you very much.

Hello Everyone. I have a quick question. Maryland requires 1 chem and 1 bio Rec letters, if you don't have a committee letter. I don't have a committee letter, but I have 2 Biology Rec letters. Does anyone know if this will affect me that much?, Specifically in the supplemental it says 1Bio and 1 Chem. Will I be screened out based on this?

Thank you

Hello Everyone. I have a quick question. Maryland requires 1 chem and 1 bio Rec letters, if you don't have a committee letter. I don't have a committee letter, but I have 2 Biology Rec letters. Does anyone know if this will affect me that much?, Specifically in the supplemental it says 1Bio and 1 Chem. Will I be screened out based on this?

Thank you

I called them around June to ask them about this and they told me you're required to have 1 chem and 1 bio. I believe your application won't be considered complete until you have one from each department. You can double check by giving them a call...but i would suggest you ask your chemistry professor.

Thank ou for your response. I just called them literally before you replied lol. They said that they can take 2 Letters from Biology, and that if they see that they are not enough, then they will ask you to send a Chemistry Letter directly to them. Again, she said that 2 Bio would suffice. hmmmmmmm... Hopefully everything works out :)

Thank you again

Thank ou for your response. I just called them literally before you replied lol. They said that they can take 2 Letters from Biology, and that if they see that they are not enough, then they will ask you to send a Chemistry Letter directly to them. Again, she said that 2 Bio would suffice. hmmmmmmm... Hopefully everything works out :)

Thank you again

Ah thanks for calling! I'm in the same boat but with two chemistry letters. Hopefully this will work out for the both of us! My pre-health advisor said she could write a "committee letter" if need be. Good luck!!

Is anyone else getting supplemental invites? I haven't received anything, I'm slowly losing hope.

Time to jump in. MD resident here. MD is a favorite for me.

Just got an email from them saying, "Based on this review, we would like to invite you to continue with the admissions process."

Have to make an account, send in a pic, and do the supplemental.

There is also an optional video introduction if you want to send it in...

Time to jump in. MD resident here. MD is a favorite for me.

Just got an email from them saying, "Based on this review, we would like to invite you to continue with the admissions process."

Have to make an account, send in a pic, and do the supplemental.

There is also an optional video introduction if you want to send it in...
Got my supplemental July 24th also. Submitted it that night. was told interviews begin the end of september.

when did you send in your supplement?

interview invite for september 24th!! hope to see some of you there!

Interview invite!!!! OOS from Fl I can't wait to interview here. I love this school!!!! October 1st rescheduled to Oct 8th!

Last edited:
For those of you OOS, where are you guys staying? I called some of the hotels they provided on the e-mail and their rates have definitely gone up from those listed prices.

Got an interview email today for October 7!

OOS. Supp app submitted August 13.

Invite for Oct 8th, still have to confirm!!

Got an interview email today too, for Oct 1st!

OOS (NY residence). Submit secondary application on Aug 2nd.

Seems like most of the invites are for OOS... any IS invites yet??

Got an interview for Oct 7!!! Good luck to the rest of you guys!!! This is still early so you ALL have a chance. Hope to see some you guys there on the 7th!

Interview on Oct 7!!! Crying tears of joy right now.

Anybody that filled out the supp not get an interview?

Anybody that filled out the supp not get an interview?

Me. Filled it out at the end of July and haven't heard anything as of yet. I am in-state btw.

Interesting to see a complete void of in-state applicants receiving interviews... Very interesting indeed.

I completed mine also at the end of July, but no invite... I am in-state.