***The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental class 2018***

Congrats. Do you mind sharing your status. And what time did you get the call.
I got called at 4pm on April 23. I am Canadian and go to a Canadian university

Members don't see this ad.

I have received this email this morning. Has any body else on the waiting list also received it?

Hello Hopeful Members of the Class of 2018!

I write you today to request you notify me of you interest in remaining an Alternate at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry. We have had movement and expect there will be more, however, we just don't know how much or when it will happen.

If you have decided to accept a position at another school and would like us to remove your name from our Alternate List, please contact me at your earliest opportunity.

If I don't hear from you, I will have to assume you are no longer interested and will have your name removed from the list.

Warm Regards,

Members don't see this ad :)
I have received this email this morning. Has any body else on the waiting list also received it?

Hello Hopeful Members of the Class of 2018!

I write you today to request you notify me of you interest in remaining an Alternate at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry. We have had movement and expect there will be more, however, we just don't know how much or when it will happen.

If you have decided to accept a position at another school and would like us to remove your name from our Alternate List, please contact me at your earliest opportunity.

If I don't hear from you, I will have to assume you are no longer interested and will have your name removed from the list.

Warm Regards,
I just replied.

Did you all receive a reply email from Carol J. Blackburn AFTER you confirmed about your interests on UDM through email? Thanks

Last edited:
I wonder how long they give U to reply to stay on the wait list
I'm guessing they will give students around a week to reply back. Dr. Jeffers told me that I had to send the deposit within a week in order to keep my spot.

Another week goes by. Hopefully we all can laugh about this at the beginning of August. :bang:

Reactions: 1 user
I am giving up my spot for UDM. I loved the program, faculty and the student oriented environment of the school so it was a very hard decision for me. Hopefully someone who really wants to go to UDM will get the call early next week. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I am giving up my spot for UDM. I loved the program, faculty and the student oriented environment of the school so it was a very hard decision for me. Hopefully someone who really wants to go to UDM will get the call early next week. Good luck!

i call dibs

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know anything about this school and the city. I heard no one lives in detroit. Is that true? Is they city empty?

City of Detroit has declared bankruptcy, but people live in Detroit and school is running fine. According to upper year students, there aren't any problems.

i don't know anything about this school and the city. I heard no one lives in detroit. Is that true? Is they city empty?

It's a total ghost town. Students have to work on exhumed patients.

this is exactly what i thought last year, but after going there for interview I found out that the rumors are exaggerated.
It is true that the immediate area close to the dental school building is quite ghetto (close as in like..... right across the streets)
However, Detroit downtown is literally 5 min away and I thought it was very big and populated with lots of professionals.
There were tall GM buildings, big four audit firms, etc etc

not gonna b a problem at all
However, I have heard from many students and faculties that you MUST own a car to live there.

this is exactly what i thought last year, but after going there for interview I found out that the rumors are exaggerated.
It is true that the immediate area close to the dental school building is quite ghetto (close as in like..... right across the streets)
However, Detroit downtown is literally 5 min away and I thought it was very big and populated with lots of professionals.
There were tall GM buildings, big four audit firms, etc etc

not gonna b a problem at all
However, I have heard from many students and faculties that you MUST own a car to live there.

That's true... you can't live without a car here! Public transportation services are very basic and few people use it

Looks like nobody likes me!:unsure:
Keep your hopes alive. I was sad and frustrated as well, but when I got the call it was all worth it. You will get in... it's just matter of when.

Reactions: 1 users
Any Canadians here waiting to hear back from Canadian schools? Are there good number of seats offered from Canadian schools around May/June? Ms. Blackburn told me there will be movements in May/June.

Any Canadians here waiting to hear back from Canadian schools? Are there good number of seats offered from Canadian schools around May/June? Ms. Blackburn told me there will be movements in May/June.

Pretty sure all the Canadians that actually got an interview from Canadian schools either got in and withdrew from UDM or got in elsewhere and withdrew from UDM or got rejected everywhere and decided to attend UDM. I wouldn't bank on them Canadians withdrawing at this point because I've seen a few stats of this year's matriculants and even Harvard doesn't compare.

Pretty sure all the Canadians that actually got an interview from Canadian schools either got in and withdrew from UDM or got in elsewhere and withdrew from UDM or got rejected everywhere and decided to attend UDM. I wouldn't bank on them Canadians withdrawing at this point because I've seen a few stats of this year's matriculants and even Harvard doesn't compare.
My source is from the admissions at UDM. She said there will be more movements in May/June than other months. U.S schools pretty much done filling classes, doubt much movement will happen. I can only think of Canadians withdrawing to attend Canadian schools to open up seats. Any thoughts?

I quote from someone who goes to canadian university and msged me privately based on my qiestions.

"Toronto and British Columbia have already sent out acceptances. Western sends out acceptances in mid May. I'm not sure about other Canadian schools. I believe Western is the last school to send them out." This tells us that not all Canadian schools are done with giving acceptaces to students.

I also got the information that there will be more movements on May and June from Ms. Carol Blackburn. I really hope that will happen. However, please go to UDM 2017 SDN threats. The most active movement was made on April. May and June had very little movements which brought me a sad news.

However here is a good news. If you look at 4 or 5 page of UDM 2018 threat, you will find a information that he/she made a comment which is from Dr. Jeffers at the end of the Interview day . It would be hard to not get accepted from UDM for pre-december interviewers unless they do slaughter in the deteoit city.

As an alternate candidate of UDM 2018, Its very tough to be in this waiting moment. However, one thing we know for sure is that we will get a phone call from Dr. Jeffers when its our turn. Lets wait with hope and patient.

P.s. We all, as alternate candidates, want to see and hear a solid fact at this threat and at this point. If its JUST an assumption, please provide it with a solid evidence to support the idea. Otherwise it WILL make us paranoid.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I'm Canadian so I can give you all some information on what's going on here. A few things have changed since I've messaged Hee Jin.

As mentioned, Toronto, Dalhousie, and UBC have already sent out their acceptances. Western sent out their acceptances on Monday (a bit earlier this year than usual). I believe students are still waiting to here back from Alberta and Saskatchewan (not positive on this).

As #kalel mentioned, I wouldn't bank on many Canadians withdrawing at this point because the acceptance stats this year in Canada have been very high. The highest I've ever seen them in the past four years. Toronto's acceptance average this year was a GPA of 3.92. Western's interview cutoff was 87%! Out of 200+ interviews, only 54 students were accepted at Western, 4 being given to international students. Western's stats haven't been published, but from what I've read on the forums, it looks like Western's acceptance average will be around 90-92% this year! (http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97110).

So bottom line, don't count on may Canadians dropping out in the US. I wish I could give you better news but that's the reality here in Canada. Hope this answers a few questions.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm Canadian so I can give you all some information on what's going on here. A few things have changed since I've messaged Hee Jin.

As mentioned, Toronto, Dalhousie, and UBC have already sent out their acceptances. Western sent out their acceptances on Monday (a bit earlier this year than usual). I believe students are still waiting to here back from Alberta and Saskatchewan (not positive on this).

As #kalel mentioned, I wouldn't bank on many Canadians withdrawing at this point because the acceptance stats this year in Canada have been very high. The highest I've ever seen them in the past four years. Toronto's acceptance average this year was a GPA of 3.92. Western's interview cutoff was 87%! Out of 200+ interviews, only 54 students were accepted at Western, 4 being given to international students. Western's stats haven't been published, but from what I've read on the forums, it looks like Western's acceptance average will be around 90-92% this year! (http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97110).

So bottom line, don't count on may Canadians dropping out in the US. I wish I could give you better news but that's the reality here in Canada. Hope this answers a few questions.
Great.. Thanks for filling us in.

I got a confirmation email.
What email did you send your reply to? Did you just reply to the message they sent? I called AND emailed them saying I want to keep my spot both within the first hour of getting that email and now I just got a second email today saying that they did not hear from me yet and if the don't by May 14th, they are taking me off the wait list.. And I just tried calling them and it is going straight to voicemail.... -.-

I replied to the same email and got a response

What email did you send your reply to? Did you just reply to the message they sent? I called AND emailed them saying I want to keep my spot both within the first hour of getting that email and now I just got a second email today saying that they did not hear from me yet and if the don't by May 14th, they are taking me off the wait list.. And I just tried calling them and it is going straight to voicemail.... -.-
I replied to Ms.blackburn's email and she said I am remaining in the wait list. She emailed the day after I replied.

i gave up my spot at udm today, hope yall get in

Reactions: 4 users
It is really sad that there will be less movement on May and June.
Congratulations on those who got into UDM from the wait list so far:). You guys must have done something right, and I truly envy you.
I guess I need to work harder to achieve what I want haha.
Is anyone planning on taking DAT again?

For the wait listers, did u guys write a letter of intent.

Someone on this thread received an email to confirm his/her interest to be on wait list no later than May 14th. I just guessed this day is gonna be important.

Someone on this thread received an email to confirm his/her interest to be on wait list no later than May 14th. I just guessed this day is gonna be important.
Huge movement within the wait list. I don't think it means spots are opening.

Huge movement within the wait list. I don't think it means spots are opening.

what he/she means in that maybe UDM is waiting until may 14th to pluck applicants off the wait list so that people who wish to withdraw from the wait list won't receive calls and UDM won't waste their time

what he/she means in that maybe UDM is waiting until may 14th to pluck applicants off the wait list so that people who wish to withdraw from the wait list won't receive calls and UDM won't waste their time
You have a point there. Lets hope that's the case.

No, but week or two later i got a call.

I thought i should have done that while I got the offer of alternate list. Do we need to send it again? I already sent it in the first week of December.