***The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental class 2018***

But think about the people who only got waitlisted at LECOM! He should be considerate of them too!
We all know UDM wait list is the most dynamic and complicated one, I have not heard any other skool's waitlist move like UDM, have you ?

Members don't see this ad.

Attention please!
To those who have multiple or double acceptances from any school, any where! Considering the painful waiting moments ( specially these recent days), please make your decision ASAP. There are some waitlisters who have just one chance! Think about it as if you had been at this situation.
Agree, keeping multiple spots until the last minute does not help anyone but hurts waitlisted while they are waiting

it's not realistic to expect the waitlist of UofT move considerably.
UofT is being very weird this year. I know someone near the top of the wait list and he has only moved up two spots since acceptances were sent out. Last year there was a lot more movement; however, there were a few cases where people didn't find out until mid August (which doens't help because classes at UDM begin on August 18.

Bottom line, don't count on Canadian schools to create much movement. Most of the movement will be from those holding multiple offers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just read on a Canadian forum that Dalhousie acceptances do not get sent out until June 2 (at least that was the date last year). Perhaps there may be a few students that are still waiting to hear from Dalhousie.

General question to all UDM dental applicants. Did you guys send your letter of recommendation from a dentist separate from your AADSAS directly to UDM admissions? I havent gotten one from my dentist yet (he's out of the country until like July :( ) so i wanted to know if i can submit my AADSAS without it, and then send UDM my dentist's letter later.

Any ideas? Advice?

You can I believe. But can we not add additional letters of rec even after we submit AADSAS?! Sorry to answer your question with a question:confused:o_O However even July doesn't sound too late to complete the file.
Question from me: can we submit AADSAS File first and then upload needed transcripts and letters second? Based on my past experience it may take around 2weeks for them to process and upload the transcripts and letters, and I don't want to wait until after all documents are uploaded.. not that I am saying waiting 1- 2 weeks would put me on great disadvantages as long as it is before the end of July.. I hope.:cool:
General question to all UDM dental applicants. Did you guys send your letter of recommendation from a dentist separate from your AADSAS directly to UDM admissions? I havent gotten one from my dentist yet (he's out of the country until like July :( ) so i wanted to know if i can submit my AADSAS without it, and then send UDM my dentist's letter later.

Any ideas? Advice?[/

You can I believe. But can we not add additional letters of rec even after we submit AADSAS?! Sorry to answer your question with a question:confused:o_O However even July doesn't sound too late to complete the file.
Question from me: can we submit AADSAS File first and then upload needed transcripts and letters second? Based on my past experience it may take around 2weeks for them to process and upload the transcripts and letters, and I don't want to wait until after all documents are uploaded.. not that I am saying waiting 1- 2 weeks would put me on great disadvantages as long as it is before the end of July.. I hope.:cool:

if I recall correctly, you can't submit AADSAS without the transcripts and stuff uploaded.
Also, everyone says "oh... im gonna get ready hours before the application opens and submit it right away!"
but in reality you end up taking weeks to submit because of making your "perfect" PS more perfect and etc etc

Quick question for UDM students:

Where are all of you living typically? What is the environment like near the school?
(I ask because of Detroit's current economic and social climate).

Have any of you thought of buying a house? It seems a lot are selling in total for 10-15K.

thanx

if I recall correctly, you can't submit AADSAS without the transcripts and stuff uploaded.
Also, everyone says "oh... im gonna get ready hours before the application opens and submit it right away!"
but in reality you end up taking weeks to submit because of making your "perfect" PS more perfect and etc etc
OK Thanks for clearing that up. Since everybody's file will take at least a few weeks, I feel somehow safe haha. I just need a good personal statement and DAT score.

i live in detroit. have lived here all my life. The area around UDM is rough - it was the hardest hit during the riots and imo has never fully recovered since (other places have relatively improved, but still not ideal). Drive around, you'll see what i mean.

That being said, UDM is just a few minutes from midtown - a super up and coming area with ample lofts and studio style apts. If you go closer to Wayne State's campus, you'll get the benefit of the campus life you wouldnt otherwise get at UDM_SOD.

There are super nice places in midtown (if you've got the cash to fuel it all) and bottom line - DONT BE SCARED BECAUSE ITS DETROIT.
Theres nothing that irritates me more than ignorant ppl from the burbs who like to trash talk about Detroit. It's not perfect, I know that. But don't talk smack and stick your noses up at those of us who live here.

Quick question for UDM students:

Where are all of you living typically? What is the environment like near the school?
(I ask because of Detroit's current economic and social climate).

Have any of you thought of buying a house? It seems a lot are selling in total for 10-15K.

thanx

last year, I was worried about the same thing but I found out the rumors are exaggerated.
Immediate area close to UDM SOD is not that great, but the downtown is literally 5 min away and I thought it was really big with GM buildings, Big Four audits and lots of professionals. Most students live in Royal Oak, Dearborn, Troy, downtown or Windsor (for Canadians)

anyone knows when we get enrolled in SEVIS and when we receive I-20 form from UDM upon accepting the offer ?

I am thinking of retaking DAT again.
CDR has a great review for preparing reading comprehension. What does CDR? Is it Crack DAT Reading comprehension?

What are the changes from updated DAT for 2014? If you could explain specifically, I would really appreciate!

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad :)
There are my stats

DAT
Reading 15
Q.R 17
PAT 20
BIO 23
GCHEM 24
OCHEM 20

SGPA 3.6/ AGPA 3.6

Which schools would you think that I need to apply based on the scores? I talked to UM admission office, they said reading score is too low to get accepted from UM. I have interviewed at UDM and USC up to this point.

thanks!

There are my stats

DAT
Reading 15
Q.R 17
PAT 20
BIO 23
GCHEM 24
OCHEM 20

SGPA 3.6/ AGPA 3.6

Which schools would you think that I need to apply based on the scores? I talked to UM admission office, they said reading score is too low to get accepted from UM. I have interviewed at UDM and USC up to this point.

thanks!
Yes, AA wise it is good. That reading though.

There are my stats

DAT
Reading 15
Q.R 17
PAT 20
BIO 23
GCHEM 24
OCHEM 20

SGPA 3.6/ AGPA 3.6

thanks!

I had CDR 10 test version but I didn't think it was all that great. It's not representative of the real thing and I only ended up doing 4 practice tests out of the 10.

score of 17 in any section is usually the minimum score needed for the admission, so if I were you i would improve RC and QR.

anyone knows when we get enrolled in SEVIS and when we receive I-20 form from UDM upon accepting the offer ?
You should be receiving an email containing the forms for the i20 application. You will fill these out and then mail them back to UDM where they get processed and they send you a SEVIS # which you take to the border along with your NEXUS.

Hope this makes sense. In the meantime, you will need proof that you have 103,000 USD (living w/o parents). This money can come from a sponsor (ex. parents) or from a line of credit. Regardless, you will need proof of this in order to complete the i20 application.

You should be receiving an email containing the forms for the i20 application. You will fill these out and then mail them back to UDM where they get processed and they send you a SEVIS # which you take to the border along with your NEXUS.

Hope this makes sense. In the meantime, you will need proof that you have 103,000 USD (living w/o parents). This money can come from a sponsor (ex. parents) or from a line of credit. Regardless, you will need proof of this in order to complete the i20 application.

Thanks, this helps. I assume above are the main documents I should prepare prior to entering in Detroit as a student

I had CDR 10 test version but I didn't think it was all that great. It's not representative of the real thing and I only ended up doing 4 practice tests out of the 10.

score of 17 in any section is usually the minimum score needed for the admission, so if I were you i would improve RC and QR.
What is the full name of CDR?
Is it Crack DAT Reading comprehension?

Thanks, this helps. I assume above are the main documents I should prepare prior to entering in Detroit as a student

When you get the email, fill out the forms as soon as possible and send them to UDM. My forms were due in July but I think those that were more recently accepted have a later deadline. The proof of the 103,000 USD is a requirement for the i20 forms. It can be a bank statement that is signed and dated (no older than 30 days), and you can also get a letter of you or your sponsor's annual salary (again, no older than 30 days).

Don't bother getting these letters until you receive the email. I just wanted to tell you about them because is you or your sponsor doesn't have proof of 103,000 USD, then you should be looking into getting a line of credit asap.

thought there should be some movement in wait list after Dalhousie gives the acceptances out. Anyone has any update about Dalhousie and any movement for UDM ?

thought there should be some movement in wait list after Dalhousie gives the acceptances out. Anyone has any update about Dalhousie and any movement for UDM ?
If you look at the previous year SDN, there are lots of movements begin after the end of June.

Here's a thread for updates on Dalhousie: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98449

It looks like University of Saskatchewan still has to send out their acceptance letters as well: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98120&page=2

According to this thread, University of Alberta has only sent out early acceptances: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98141

As far as UDM movement, I haven't heard of any. The Facebook group hasn't added many students over the past few weeks. Mostly just upper year students.

Hope this helps!

Here's a thread for updates on Dalhousie: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98449

It looks like University of Saskatchewan still has to send out their acceptance letters as well: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98120&page=2

According to this thread, University of Alberta has only sent out early acceptances: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98141

As far as UDM movement, I haven't heard of any. The Facebook group hasn't added many students over the past few weeks. Mostly just upper year students.

Hope this helps!
Well.. that's over 50 spots for us remaining waitlisters! ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Hope this helps!
Any way u could ask people in the group if any of them are waiting for Canadian schools?

I took a quick trip to University and Dundas RBC bank to talk about student line of credit options. Their senior adviser said that the maximum amount for international medical students (outside Canada) is 150K but they would consider some special circumstances.
I have heard they should easily give 250K for UDM student.
Anyone knows more detail ?
has someone applied for credit recently ?

I took a quick trip to University and Dundas RBC bank to talk about student line of credit options. Their senior adviser said that the maximum amount for international medical students (outside Canada) is 150K but they would consider some special circumstances.
Prepare to have a strong (Re: combined 100k+) cosigner that is an immediate family member of yours. Else, you're out of luck unfortunately..

check out cibc, they gave me the lowest rate but u need a cosigner

I just got a 150k loan approved from RBC at prime (3%) with my parents as cosigners.

check out cibc, they gave me the lowest rate but u need a cosigner
I believe all Canadian banks require you to have a cosigner if you're studying outside of Canada.

It is possible to get a loan from a bank in Canada for U.S school without a cosigner, but you must have strong personal connections or know someone who has. Living in Windsor while attending dental school can be to your advantage.

It is possible to get a loan from a bank in Canada for U.S school without a cosigner, but you must have strong personal connections or know someone who has. Living in Windsor while attending dental school can be to your advantage.
dent777 is correct. CIBC does give some students 275k at prime without a cosigner. I know an upper year student who was able to get this LOC; however, he had a mutual friend of one of the CIBC employees.

Called admissions office this morning, told there wasn't any movement last week and this week. They're expecting more seats will be available later though.

Reactions: 2 users
@Member 88 i applied for many and yea they know how many times you have had your credit checked etc, but nothing is in stone until you sign! so its your credit and you chose what to do with it, nothing has happened yet while your still applying and getting your documents in, they needed my cosigners paystubs and T4 slips, they asked for other things like cars etc

Called admissions office this morning, told there wasn't any movement last week and this week. They're expecting more seats will be available later though.
I saw alot of movement end of june and beginning of july in last years thread so im hoping we make it!!!!

I heard there's 50 or so people on the waitlist. I don't think many will get off the list since Canadian schools have been tougher to get in this year.

Previous cycles all have had movement in July and August. Dr. Jeffers mentioned this as well. Plus people continue to trickle into the FB group. Keep the faith, guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Called admissions office this morning. I was told there was no movement this week, but it's similar to last year. Hope there's more spots opening late June and July like last year!

Have heard a water shut off in Detroit that might impact 300,000 people. is that true ? anyone has more detailed info on the impacted areas ?

Have heard a water shut off in Detroit that might impact 300,000 people. is that true ? anyone has more detailed info on the impacted areas ?
Wow that does not sound good..
Hope it is not true..

they shut off water for residents who are past due on payments...

Thread is so quiet, any update on new movements ?

Update: There won't be any acceptance calls made until late July- early August. Dr.Jeffers has to make room for D1 repeats, and he won't know until the finals in late July. In the meantime, go ahead and reapply asap.

Update: There won't be any acceptance calls made until late July- early August. Dr.Jeffers has to make room for D1 repeats, and he won't know until the finals in late July. In the meantime, go ahead and reapply asap.

How did you get the info?