*** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Got an alternate offer. The waiting game just started. I experienced truely bitter days. I should try to be more positive from now on....:bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got the alternative email as well, I wonder how Dr. Jeffers will choose when a spot opens.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys for giving me hope…. :unsure:

Got the alternative email as well, I wonder how Dr. Jeffers will choose when a spot opens.

I would say they have totally changed the procedure. It is definitely different from last cycle. Hope this year alternate guys suffer less!

Hi guys,
I got waitlisted for UDM as well, but got accepted at NYU.
I really liked UDM because of the comforting/family atmosphere. I am pretty sure all the waitlisters will get off waitlist eventually and I am torn between choosing UDM and NYU.
Any thoughts?

Got on the alternate list as well. The email says that the majority of the seats are full now as the selected candidates have confirmed their seats. The remaining seats are from the candidates who have not made their decisions yet. :((( I called the office today, and the lady said if you are waitlisted, the chance is that you will get in. At the interview, Dr. Jeffers said the same thing, so hopefully, what Dr. Jeffers and the admins office lady said still stands true despite what the email said. UDM is known for its strong clinical foundation, so I recommend the school if you're more concerned with building up strong clinical skills than research skills.

Got on the alternate list as well. The email says that the majority of the seats are full now as the selected candidates have confirmed their seats. The remaining seats are from the candidates who have not made their decisions yet. :((( I called the office today, and the lady said if you are waitlisted, the chance is that you will get in. At the interview, Dr. Jeffers said the same thing, so hopefully, what Dr. Jeffers and the admins office lady said still stands true despite what the email said. UDM is known for its strong clinical foundation, so I recommend the school if you're more concerned with building up strong clinical skills than research skills.
Some people hold multiple seats. So in April, when schools are notified of applicants holding multiple seats, more seats will open up. At least that's my understanding.

so...what are the odds for those of us interviewing on the 13th?

LMAO im ****ting bricks here

so...what are the odds for those of us interviewing on the 13th?

LMAO im ****ting bricks here

if you are qualified applicant, I'd think you'd be just as competitive as people on alternate list.
Correct me if i am wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
What caught my attention the most.
"As you are aware we follow a “rolling admissions” process for available positions. On December 1, 2014, we began the process of extending offers of acceptance to highly qualified candidates on a weekly basis. "

" The Committee does not keep a ranked alternate candidate list and does not select alternates based on a predetermined order."

Good news is that we can get an acceptance as early as next week. But how will they choose... If they make weekly decision, it wouldn't make sense for the adcom to host a meeting every week to decide on who gets accepted.

What caught my attention the most.
"As you are aware we follow a “rolling admissions” process for available positions. On December 1, 2014, we began the process of extending offers of acceptance to highly qualified candidates on a weekly basis. "

" The Committee does not keep a ranked alternate candidate list and does not select alternates based on a predetermined order."

Good news is that we can get an acceptance as early as next week. But how will they choose... If they make weekly decision, it wouldn't make sense for the adcom to host a meeting every week to decide on who gets accepted.

yea,,, but what could we do :( . Another long waiting game just began.. I did not want to do this!

Strange I still have yet to hear on whether denied, wait, or accepted. Guess I'll need to call as my friend did and 3 minutes later got the wait list email.

Strange I still have yet to hear on whether denied, wait, or accepted. Guess I'll need to call as my friend did and 3 minutes later got the wait list email.

all first round invites have been sent out, so it will be either rejection or waitlist, but more likely waitlist.

Looking at last years thread, looks like we wont hear until the beginning of February to get off the alternative list. Time to do something productive to pass the wait! Have a great holiday everybody:)

what is the acceptance rate after interview for post dec? I read on ADEA guide book 2013 that its 75% but some say 90%? anyone know?

Looking at last years thread, looks like we wont hear until the beginning of February to get off the alternative list. Time to do something productive to pass the wait! Have a great holiday everybody:)
Isn't deposit do until january 1st?

What i am wonderinf is if people turn down their offers before jan1st, will anyone one waitlist be offered those seat befoee jan 1st? Or will they wait to send out a big wave of invites?

This will be the longest december ever.

Reactions: 1 users
To all the accepted people, did they give you a month to pay your deposit? I was wondering since Dr. Jeffers said something about responding to them in 20 days and then sending in the deposit overnight. Maybe I am mixing up what he was sayin.

Also, how much is it due for the deposit? 1500 or 2500? I am actually in a financial hole right now so I will save up over break to make sure I am ready when they send the next round of acceptances. Thanks for your help!

It's 1500 and we have to send it before their office closes for winter break. And yes a month but in our case it's about 20 days because of the holidays.

Which date does their office close for the holidays? Sorry I am uber curious, is it like the Dec 20th? Thanks for responding

Which date does their office close for the holidays? Sorry I am uber curious, is it like the Dec 20th? Thanks for responding
I'm not sure. I might be before the 20th. Any current UDM students wanna help us out??

Just received the alternate list email.

Finally got the alternate list email!

Just called the admission office. she said that waiting list is ranked based on GPA DAT and interview marks. she said calls could be any time any day

Just called the admission office. she said that waiting list is ranked based on GPA DAT and interview marks. she said calls could be any time any day

good to know.

3.40 GPA
24 DAT.
I also asked if chances are higher for people who got the email on Thursday and she said no but I still think that it is higher cuz it took them a while to send out the emails and I guess they were ranking out the files and sending out the emails based on that. I donno it is just me thinking. anyway, lets see how it goes.

interesting. the email said they don't rank lol.

So here's my pet theory. For first round of acceptances, they sat down and review everyone holistically. But after first round of acceptance, there are no more big meetings and to save time they rank people more on their "scores (gpa/dat/interview)" so waitlist applicant will be evaluated less on their PS/EC/LoR

wow...ya'll got me super worried now..i've got a 20 with a 3.6 :scared:

The acceptance package says to pay it by January 1st... :eyebrow:
I had a very detailed conversation about it to him. I asked him if it counted if the money order or whatever was mailed by the 1st and he said they need have the money in their hands before the office closes or it won't count. He said the mail after New Years will be sitting around in the mail office for a while and who knows when they will get mail once they get back. So in this case, it is appropriate for them to have the money in their accounts before school closes.

I had a very detailed conversation about it to him. I asked him if it counted if the money order or whatever was mailed by the 1st and he said they need have the money in their hands before the office closes or it won't count. He said the mail after New Years will be sitting around in the mail office for a while and who knows when they will get mail once they get back. So in this case, it is appropriate for them to have the money in their accounts before school closes.
Ohhhh wow.. Thanks for that information. Guess we don't really have 30 days after all lol

people with High GPAs and high DATs are getting waitlisted at UDM because they don't think you are actually going to go to their school

Why would they waste a spot on you when they think you are going to go to somewhere else with higher stat averages?

they just plop you on the waitlist and give that spot to someone who they think will actually, truly accept it.

in the interview, they probably wanted to see extreme desire in you to attend UDM, if you didn't express that, then they probably wouldn't shell a spot on you.

people with High GPAs and high DATs are getting waitlisted at UDM because they don't think you are actually going to go to their school

Why would they waste a spot on you when they think you are going to go to somewhere else with higher stat averages?

they just plop you on the waitlist and give that spot to someone who they think will actually, truly accept it.

in the interview, they probably wanted to see extreme desire in you to attend UDM, if you didn't express that, then they probably wouldn't shell a spot on you.
That's actually not quite true... Just look at their class profile from the past couple of years.. 3.7-3.8 average and almost 22 DAT average. So they certainly accept a ton of people with very high numbers...

Reactions: 1 users