*** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

people with High GPAs and high DATs are getting waitlisted at UDM because they don't think you are actually going to go to their school

Why would they waste a spot on you when they think you are going to go to somewhere else with higher stat averages?

they just plop you on the waitlist and give that spot to someone who they think will actually, truly accept it.

in the interview, they probably wanted to see extreme desire in you to attend UDM, if you didn't express that, then they probably wouldn't shell a spot on you.

like 6049 said, UDM believe it or not has pretty high average stat for matriculating class and I was pretty surprised too!
I am even more surprised that I received an interview because my GPA isn't really that good. My DAT probably helped a little getting an interview, but didn't earn me a seat. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Well, here's my crackpot theory. You see from the adea book that 85% of interviewed oos gets accepted. And they interview A LOT of people. That tells me that there is a ton of movement on the waitlist. That means that many people from the first round of acceptance did not take on UDM's offer. If udm's class ends up with a high GPA/DAT and a majority of the class were pulled from the waitlist, then that means people on the waitlist have high GPA/DAT
/place my tin foil hat down

Reactions: 1 user
Well, here's my crackpot theory. You see from the adea book that 85% of interviewed oos gets accepted. And they interview A LOT of people. That tells me that there is a ton of movement on the waitlist. That means that many people from the first round of acceptance did not take on UDM's offer. If udm's class ends up with a high GPA/DAT and a majority of the class were pulled from the waitlist, then that means people on the waitlist have high GPA/DAT
/place my tin foil hat down

Even though there might be a lot of movement on the waiting lis throughout the cycle, wouldn't the number of students accepted on dec 2nd trump the number of students accepted off of waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though there might be a lot of movement on the waiting lis throughout the cycle, wouldn't the number of students accepted on dec 2nd trump the number of students accepted off of waitlist?
Don't think so. Their oos class size was 62. They admitted 211 oos people in total. At most, they would make dec2 offer based on their maximum oos class size which is 62.

Of course, they could have gone through 149 people just to fill 20 spots (let's say 42 people accepted the dec2nd offer). But I am just speculating that would be unlikely. I think the number of accepted off WL is higher than dec2nd accepted students just by the sheer volume of WL applicants they had to go through to fill their class.

That's actually not quite true... Just look at their class profile from the past couple of years.. 3.7-3.8 average and almost 22 DAT average. So they certainly accept a ton of people with very high numbers...

like 6049 said, UDM believe it or not has pretty high average stat for matriculating class and I was pretty surprised too!
I am even more surprised that I received an interview because my GPA isn't really that good. My DAT probably helped a little getting an interview, but didn't earn me a seat. :(

their averages are that high now?

i revoke my statement

Sent my deposit in. So I guess I am officially going to UDM :D :woot:

Reactions: 3 users
I will probably send in my deposit in the next few days. Looking forward to attending UDM!

Anyone interested in sharing the types of interview questions they were asked at UDM? Also, what types of questions did you ask about the school?
Thanks!

Anyone interested in sharing the types of interview questions they were asked at UDM? Also, what types of questions did you ask about the school?
Thanks!

General questions like
1) youe strengths and weakness
2) ethical question involving patient unable to pay for treatment. Yada Yada
3) why udm?
4) asked about specific thing i wrote on my personal statement
5) whats the most difficult obstacle that i had to overcome at workplace?

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
General questions like
1) youe strengths and weakness
2) ethical question involving patient unable to pay for treatment. Yada Yada
3) why udm?
4) asked about specific thing i wrote on my personal statement
5) whats the most difficult obstacle that i had to overcome at workplace?

Hope this helps.
Definitely helps, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I have an interview at UDM on 13th Decmber and I would like to know what my chance is to get accepted since its post Dec. interview? I'm stressing too much, any reply would be truly appreciated. thanks

Hi everyone,
I have an interview at UDM on 13th Decmber and I would like to know what my chance is to get accepted since its post Dec. interview? I'm stressing too much, any reply would be truly appreciated. thanks

They have lots of movement post-dec, so as long as your stats are solid, i would think you would be just as competitive as waitlisters.

Dont know for sure whether post-dec interviewees or waitlisters are ranked higher. Maybe neither

Anybody accepted to UDM who DO NOT plan to go there?

Interview this Saturday, any tips or insight on the interview? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Everyone and congratulations to those of you that have gotten acceptance calls. In this exciting time, its important to stay connected and start meeting people from your class. For those of you who have gotten acceptance calls and are planning on entering the UDM class of 2019, please join the Facebook group "UDM School of Dentistry Class of 2019" where you can find the official class group and ask any questions that you might have about the school. The class officers from the Class of 2018 will be on the group all summer to help make your transitions as smooth as possible. For those of you who are interviewing this Saturday December 13th, I look forward to meeting you!

Good luck everyone!

I'm not sure. I might be before the 20th. Any current UDM students wanna help us out??
Final day of classes is the 19th, so I imagine that would be the safest bet to send your deposit in by. But in all likeliness they are probably open the following Monday/Tuesday. I would shoot for the 19th if you have the means to do so.

Just landed in Detroit. Excited for the interview tommorow !!

I was in the 10:30 session... Overall I liked the school at the atmosphere however I felt the interview was not much of a conversation, it was more of a job interview with the standard questions. I look forward to hearing from them!

I was in the earlier session. and same! i thought the interview was wayyy too short...idk what they were expecting to learn about me in 10 minutes of interviewing

I really like the student panel - they seeemed so cool

I was in the earlier session. and same! i thought the interview was wayyy too short...idk what they were expecting to learn about me in 10 minutes of interviewing

I really like the student panel - they seeemed so cool

woah 10 minutes?
Mine was like 30~35 minutes and it still felt way too short. I didn't know it had been 35 minutes and they called it!

I am the type of person who's not really used to interviewing and such, but 35 minutes went by really quick.
I am sure 10 minutes just flew by before you were able to warm your seat up.

Dayum!

Did they give you any feedback during the interview? Mine were just going from question to question without saying much at all

Yeah it was super short...ok maybe not 10 minutes, maybe 15 or 20, but it still felt really rushed. IDK if im the only one who felt this way :/

No mine was the same, going from question to questions. The interviewer did ask me about some obscure detail he read in my file (somewhere I had written something about a certain type of manual dexterity skill and he wanted to know more about it)

Other than that, I thought it was uneventful. It's making me nervous. I cant' study for finals because I keep trying to remember everything they asked and if I had answered them sufficiently enough :0

Anybody accepted to UDM who DO NOT plan to go there?
This kid here! I was accepted at UDM and Pitt. I'm from Michigan and I would like to stay here, but I think I'm going to go with Pitt just because it's cheaper. I haven't sent in my deposit though.

This kid here! I was accepted at UDM and Pitt. I'm from Michigan and I would like to stay here, but I think I'm going to go with Pitt just because it's cheaper. I haven't sent in my deposit though.

You should totally come to UDM. Why you ask? Because UDM is aweeessssoomme:zip:

No mine was the same, going from question to questions. The interviewer did ask me about some obscure detail he read in my file (somewhere I had written something about a certain type of manual dexterity skill and he wanted to know more about it)

Other than that, I thought it was uneventful. It's making me nervous. I cant' study for finals because I keep trying to remember everything they asked and if I had answered them sufficiently enough :0
I had the same experience as Project Pat. Not very conversational at all. More like a job interview but with rapid fire style of questioning and interrogation-like seating. No feedback was provided. Sitting around and analyzing what you said to the interviewers is counterproductive. As much as we all want an acceptance from this school, we have to focus on maintaining our performance in our classes, so that if we don't get in, we still have a shot at other programs. Nothing is guaranteed, and at this point it is out of your hands. Good luck, and make sure you study for finals!

Reactions: 2 users
I had the same experience as Project Pat. Not very conversational at all. More like a job interview but with rapid fire style of questioning and interrogation-like seating. No feedback was provided. Sitting around and analyzing what you said to the interviewers is counterproductive. As much as we all want an acceptance from this school, we have to focus on maintaining our performance in our classes, so that if we don't get in, we still have a shot at other programs. Nothing is guaranteed, and at this point it is out of your hands. Good luck, and make sure you study for finals!
Haha! thanks for the pep talk...i've been locked in my room all weekend studying! Two more days and there will be one less thing for me to stress about!

Did they give you any feedback during the interview? Mine were just going from question to question without saying much at all[/QUOT

A second the "interrogation-like seating" experience... and no feedback... my interviewer kinda sucked (there were two, one kinda sucked, the other really did, but I'm sure the 22 other interviewers were lovely)

Haha! thanks for the pep talk...i've been locked in my room all weekend studying! Two more days and there will be one less thing for me to stress about!
Haha. No problem--I get quite passionate in the heat of the moment.

drs. mcclinchey and mammo

I kind of wish i had the wine guy...he seemed cool

Did any of your interviews hand you a card with their emails on it ? Not sure if I should send them a thank you email or not since they handed me their card

Did any of your interviews hand you a card with their emails on it ? Not sure if I should send them a thank you email or not since they handed me their card
If they gave you business cards I would think it should be okay to send them a thank you note--I would. Did they hand the cards to you when you entered, or at the end of the interview?

I didn't know the name of one of my interviewers so i asked one of the UDM tour guides to tell me. lol

but I plan to mail my thank you notes asap tmrw morning.

If they gave you business cards I would think it should be okay to send them a thank you note--I would. Did they hand the cards to you when you entered, or at the end of the interview?
At the end of the interview they handed me a card with both their emails written on the back

At the end of the interview they handed me a card with both their emails written on the back
Yeah, definitely email a short thank you message to each of them.
My interviewers did not supply me with contact info. Uh oh….:eyebrow:

I'll be out of the country for vacation for the next few weeks, do you guys think any movement of the waitlist will occur from now until Jan 2?
Should I give an email to UDM to notify them haha

I thought the interview style was more like a job interview -it felt like I was applying to work for UDM school; I wish they asked more about me as a person and my qualifications.

I'll be out of the country for vacation for the next few weeks, do you guys think any movement of the waitlist will occur from now until Jan 2?
Should I give an email to UDM to notify them haha
No movement until the new year.

post December 1 , 2nd session
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out. I'm nervous now, I didn't think they were going to make any decisions till Wednesday, and that we'd receive a snail mail letter if rejected.

Do you know what date you interview was?

when do we know if we've been invited to be on the alternate list if we interviewed on the 13th?
The suspense is killing me. This is going to be a lonnnnnnnnnng winter break -_____-