*** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Hey guys, my interview is coming up in November. I was wondering if there is parking available near or at the school? I live in Indiana, so I'm just going to drive up the day before my interview. If this has already been discussed in the thread then I'm sorry!

You can park at the school, I believe! At least we were able to because it was a Saturday. If you're interviewing on a weekday - I'm not sure.

That's correct, you can park in the patient lot. It's an open lot, so you can just drive in and park. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

For the people who already interviews: do you have an estimate how many people were interviewing that day?
Saturday interviews have 50 people in the morning 50 in the afternoon. Week day interviews depend on available faculty.

Reactions: 1 user
Saturday interviews have 50 people in the morning 50 in the afternoon. Week day interviews depend on available faculty.
Thanks. Based on this can you estimate how many people do they interview prep December? Is it much different than last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Based on this can you estimate how many people do they interview prep December? Is it much different than last year?
According to what the dean of admissions (Dr. Jeffers) said at the interview, they interview around 350 Pre Dec. (offer 250 acceptances on on dec. 1st). Total of 500 interviews and more than 360 offers for the whole cycle. At least that what it was for last year, he said.

Reactions: 1 users
I am interviewing on the 13th of Dec. Anyone want to split fare on cab or room? Just PM me if you're interested.

You can park at the school, I believe! At least we were able to because it was a Saturday. If you're interviewing on a weekday - I'm not sure.

Hey guys, I just interviewed today. Great school! You can just park in the patient/visitor parking lot and Betsy or an admissions will come get you!

Interview went well, not a stressful environment. The clinical labs were amazing.

How long did it last? Around 50-60 mins? Any questions that just caught you off guard?

Seems like a lot people are liking the udm facilities. How do you see yourself living in detroit after your initial visit? Has your perception changed from how it was before?

Lots of walking or no? I honestly wouldnt feel too comfortable walking around miles and miles in a suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it last? Around 50-60 mins? Any questions that just caught you off guard?

Seems like a lot people are liking the udm facilities. How do you see yourself living in detroit after your initial visit? Has your perception changed from how it was before?

Lots of walking or no? I honestly wouldnt feel too comfortable walking around miles and miles in a suit.

About 40 min interview - mostly about yourself, a few ethical situations - nothing crazy. Most people commute from outer parts of Detroit (Royal Oak, Birmingham, Canton, etc..) It is a nice school and gated facility to provide extra safety, even though I did not ever feel threatened or unsafe. You only tour inside the building - all the classrooms, offices, and facilities are in the dental building so you won't be walking outside or on the streets of Detroit. Its a very nice school with a great faculty. Everyone is super nice and complimentary there. Don't let the Detroit name freak you out - it is not as bad as everyone thinks. Good luck!

About 40 min interview - mostly about yourself, a few ethical situations - nothing crazy. Most people commute from outer parts of Detroit (Royal Oak, Birmingham, Canton, etc..) It is a nice school and gated facility to provide extra safety, even though I did not ever feel threatened or unsafe. You only tour inside the building - all the classrooms, offices, and facilities are in the dental building so you won't be walking outside or on the streets of Detroit. Its a very nice school with a great faculty. Everyone is super nice and complimentary there. Don't let the Detroit name freak you out - it is not as bad as everyone thinks. Good luck!

it's great to hear that it does not live up to its name (pun intended)
haha thanks!
Hope you did well.

So, could anyone talk about the coats that people wear? I know that we need to wear formal suits for the interviews and all but do we need to have dark solid colors for our winter coats as well? Or can they be more casual?

So, could anyone talk about the coats that people wear? I know that we need to wear formal suits for the interviews and all but do we need to have dark solid colors for our winter coats as well? Or can they be more casual?

it is almost november, but the weather feels more like later summer than fall or winter.
so I am assuming lighter colors will be okay as well.

Same thing as what Packerland said, my interview went for just a little over an hour. Had a great interview. Definitely a lot of thought provoking questions. After visiting Detroit and asking my interviewer and a few of the students there, I could definitely see myself coming and living in Detroit. Even as a Canadian.

Same thing as what Packerland said, my interview went for just a little over an hour. Had a great interview. Definitely a lot of thought provoking questions. After visiting Detroit and asking my interviewer and a few of the students there, I could definitely see myself coming and living in Detroit. Even as a Canadian.

I am glad to hear that. At first, I hated the idea of relocating, more so if it was Detroit, but seems like a lot of people are liking the school a lot. Hopefully I will have same experience.

I called and was told that it is a glitch that happened to many others.

Did it go away after you called? Mine changed to saying I need to call admissions to set up my interview, but I already interviewed. I don't know if I should just leave it alone, or if I should call and bug them.

Did it go away after you called? Mine changed to saying I need to call admissions to set up my interview, but I already interviewed. I don't know if I should just leave it alone, or if I should call and bug them.
No its still there lol

I called, it's a glitch, don't worry about it. Everyone (interviewing, interviewed) got it I'm guessing besides those who haven't heard from UDM at all...

Interview coming up!! So pumped!!!

how did everyone do today? I was at the interview today and I must say that they really try to make applicants feel very comfortable and at home.
The tour wasn't really enthusiatic or anything like that, but we still got to see what the dental school building looked like.

The building itself looks new, all the equipment, computer, and furniture look pretty new as well.
The interview was 2 faculty vs 1 student.

About 10 students were grouped into 1 group and there were groups A,B, C, B.
A group interviewed first, then did the tour, Q/A session,
B group did Q/A first then interviewed, then tour,
so on and so forth.

Overall, after you get the interview part over with, it's pretty relaxing because the hardest part is over.
The Student panel session where you meet current students and ask question might be of some value, but it was at the end of the day, I was just hoping for it to end.

Dr. Jeffer offered some useful insights about how the admissions process works.
He said about 90% of people they interview eventually ends up getting offered seats (which I already knew, but it was good to hear it from the adcom director)

Interview questions were not too difficult, no curveball types of questions, just couple of ethics situation that you have to think about and answer, which of course there is no right or wrong answer.

Anyways, good luck to me first, and then good luck to everyone else who was at the interview today!
School was nice!

how did everyone do today? I was at the interview today and I must say that they really try to make applicants feel very comfortable and at home.
The tour wasn't really enthusiatic or anything like that, but we still got to see what the dental school building looked like.

The building itself looks new, all the equipment, computer, and furniture look pretty new as well.

so on and so forth.

Overall, after you get the interview part over with, it's pretty relaxing because the hardest part is over.
The Student panel session where you meet current students and ask question might be of some value, but it was at the end of the day, I was just hoping for it to end.

He said about 90% of people they interview eventually ends up getting offered seats (which I already knew, but it was good to hear it from the adcom director)

Interview questions were not too difficult, no curveball types of questions, just couple of ethics situation that you have to think about and answer, which of course there is no right or wrong answer.

Anyways, good luck to me first, and then good luck to everyone else who was at the interview today!
School was nice!

Great stuff...This is pumping me up for Mercy in a week!!!

so on and so forth.

School was nice!
I had a great time and met amazing people. The school was great. The only thing that kind of scares me is the prize. But w/evs. I loved the people there and it's seemed the most chill school I have interviewed at. Funny thing , is I saw people that I interviewed with both at Nova on 10/30 and at Maryland on 10/21. My interview was amazing. I didn't even got asked questions about absolutely anything. We just talked and things came up as the conversation went on. I thought I was gonna like interviewing with that many people , but it was rather nice.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff...This is pumping me up for Mercy in a week!!!

Relax.

I was so nervous but they really make you feel at home. Interview will be like casual conversation

I had a great time and met amazing people. The school was great. The only thing that kind of scares me is the prize. But w/evs. I loved the people there and it's seemed the most chill school I have interviewed at. Funny thing , is I saw people that I interviewed with both at Nova on 10/30 and at Maryland on 10/21. My interview was amazing. I didn't even got asked questions about absolutely anything. We just talked and things came up as the conversation went on. I thought I was gonna like interviewing with that many people , but it was rather nice.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, it was surprisingly big group, but the whole atmosphere just felt very comfortable.
Gotta say I am glad that my first interview was at UDM.!

My status on AADSAA was updated a little over a week ago to "your application has been received and is currently undergoing formal steps for committee review". Hoping to hear back this week and get an interview! I'm in state. Anyone know how long it took to hear from them?

Reactions: 2 users
Any other instates interviewing on Dec. 13?

My status on AADSAA was updated a little over a week ago to "your application has been received and is currently undergoing formal steps for committee review". Hoping to hear back this week and get an interview! I'm in state. Anyone know how long it took to hear from them?

I'm in the same situation!

Whether you get interviewed near the beginning or end really depends on your last name though...for example people between U and Z were interviewing last for this group.

Also, TAKE REFRESHMENTS IN THE BEGINNING (or bring some food with you)...even if you're just going to store it in your bag or something. Because for the entire 5 hours, you don't get to have a food break...I was basically starving come time for my interview....

I have my interview on the 13th of December, PM me if interested in sharing hotel room/cab to school. Females only please !

I have my interview on the 13th of December, PM me if interested in sharing hotel room/cab to school. Females only please !

No matter what reason, dont go to red roof inn at lincoln park.

At first it seemed okay, but the room was filthy. Filthy as in comforter having yellowish stain on the inside, sheets having water stain, mattress that looks like it had been rescued from a trash chute, dirty carpet, unpleasant smell, not enough lighting.

Price was 62 dollars for 2 queen bed! But i didnt think it was worth the money because i couldnt sleep with my head down. I was glad i brought my own towel and blanket. I slept on top of my blanket.

Just a rant here. LoL.

No matter what reason, dont go to red roof inn at lincoln park.

At first it seemed okay, but the room was filthy. Filthy as in comforter having yellowish stain on the inside, sheets having water stain, mattress that looks like it had been rescued from a trash chute, dirty carpet, unpleasant smell, not enough lighting.

Price was 62 dollars for 2 queen bed! But i didnt think it was worth the money because i couldnt sleep with my head down. I was glad i brought my own towel and blanket. I slept on top of my blanket.

Just a rant here. LoL.
Thanks for the heads up!
I am looking for someone to split a room/cab as well for the 13th. I'm a dude btw.

I live in the D so i guess i lucked out...Lincoln Park is absolute trash. Wherever you decide to stay make sure you do your research first! PM me if you need any inside advice!

I'm in the same situation!

I got the same. They also asked for my most recent unofficial transcript update. Did you guys receive any news?

My interview is next week. Any tips from those who already interviewed?

My interview is next week. Any tips from those who already interviewed?

The interview will feel very relaxed, so there's nothing you should feel anxious about.
Read top interview questions threads on SDN and think about it in your head and see if you can come up with answers for those.
For me, a lot of questions from top interview questions threads were pretty accurate. Or I should say the interview questions were pretty generic, so those GENERIC threads were pretty helpful.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/top-10-interview-questions.669600/

Leave about 30 minutes before the indicated time, otherwise you will be waiting for too long(whole bunch of people were waiting in their car because they got there too early). I left almost 40 minutes before the time and it didn't take me long at all to get there and the parking lot is right in front of the building, so there's no time wasted there as well.

Is your interview on Saturday? If so, you and other applicants will be divided into four groups, according to your last names.
If your last name is around A-L, you will probably be in first or second group to be interviewed, otherwise, you will be third or fourth.
I personally really liked the fact I was the second group to interview. I wouldn't have minded first turn either.
Third and fourth, you will be anxious to get your interview over with while you are touring and doing Q&A session :)

Just relax and have fun.
Take some pics of the clinic too. It's nice!

Don't forget to look nice as well

The interview will feel very relaxed, so there's nothing you should feel anxious about.
Read top interview questions threads on SDN and think about it in your head and see if you can come up with answers for those.
For me, a lot of questions from top interview questions threads were pretty accurate. Or I should say the interview questions were pretty generic, so those GENERIC threads were pretty helpful.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/top-10-interview-questions.669600/

Leave about 30 minutes before the indicated time, otherwise you will be waiting for too long(whole bunch of people were waiting in their car because they got there too early). I left almost 40 minutes before the time and it didn't take me long at all to get there and the parking lot is right in front of the building, so there's no time wasted there as well.

Is your interview on Saturday? If so, you and other applicants will be divided into four groups, according to your last names.
If your last name is around A-L, you will probably be in first or second group to be interviewed, otherwise, you will be third or fourth.
I personally really liked the fact I was the second group to interview. I wouldn't have minded first turn either.
Third and fourth, you will be anxious to get your interview over with while you are touring and doing Q&A session :)

Just relax and have fun.
Take some pics of the clinic too. It's nice!

Don't forget to look nice as well

Interview is during the week. Their Weekend slots were all filled. So don't know how many people I'll be interviewing with.

Interview tomorrow!!! wish me luck....

Interview is during the week. Their Weekend slots were all filled. So don't know how many people I'll be interviewing with.

I am assuming it will be a much smaller group o
Interview tomorrow!!! wish me luck....

kill it!
Make sure you get a good night sleep. Don't toss and turn like I did.
if you are the kind of person who can't sleep in someone else's bed/blanket, take a sleeping bag with you lol.

I wish I did that!!! My red roof inn was just horrible.

I had my interview on November 11th. I stayed at Motor City Casino Hotel which had a very clean room and a reasonable price (I booked my flight+hotel on hotwire.com and it cost me $358 including both my flight from/to Nashville and the hotel). I'd rather pay extra bucks and stay at a nicer hotel because you NEED a good sleep before your interview.

I was about an hour early for the interview. Betsy took me around the school and I was impressed by how nice the facility is. I loved the clinical facilities and people I interacted with were so friendly. My overall impression of the school after the tour was 10 out of 10.

My interviewer wanted me to tell me about myself and my research. And boy did we click!
The interview was very relaxing just like the atmosphere of the school. My interviewer seemed very proud of the school and its clinical program. And I can see why. UDM is definitely a hidden gem. So pumped to hear back from the school.

Good luck everyone :)

Ok so I think Im psyching myself out a bit here...

I have a post dec. 1 interview (mine is on the 18th)...what in all honesty are the odds i'll be given an offer of acceptance?

UDM is my one and only...I'd be devastated if things weren;t to work out :sick:

Ok so I think Im psyching myself out a bit here...

I have a post dec. 1 interview (mine is on the 18th)...what in all honesty are the odds i'll be given an offer of acceptance?

UDM is my one and only...I'd be devastated if things weren;t to work out :sick:

Compared to other schools, UDM might be more difficult to get in with post-dec interviews, however, not everyone who are offered seats will decide to enroll (duh), therefore, even post-dec people will still have chance to get in, as with any other school. But because they are offering almost 300 seats for 144 seats, even if only 100 people decide to accept the offer, there are only 40 seats left, and you have to compete for those 40 seats with pre-dec people who weren't offered seats and with post-dec people as well.

Sorry to paint a grim picture for you, better to know the truth than a sugar-coated lie.

It is what it is man, I wasn't even considering detroit and I was invited to the interview, and my state school and my second choice school are still dead silent.
Nothing we can do within our power to change their mind!

I had my interview on November 11th. I stayed at Motor City Casino Hotel which had a very clean room and a reasonable price (I booked my flight+hotel on hotwire.com and it cost me $358 including both my flight from/to Nashville and the hotel). I'd rather pay extra bucks and stay at a nicer hotel because you NEED a good sleep before your interview.

I was about an hour early for the interview. Betsy took me around the school and I was impressed by how nice the facility is. I loved the clinical facilities and people I interacted with were so friendly. My overall impression of the school after the tour was 10 out of 10.

My interviewer wanted me to tell me about myself and my research. And boy did we click!
The interview was very relaxing just like the atmosphere of the school. My interviewer seemed very proud of the school and its clinical program. And I can see why. UDM is definitely a hidden gem. So pumped to hear back from the school.

Good luck everyone :)

awesome to hear yours went well.
let's cross our fingers for good new on Dec 1st.

I'm not from Detroit. Is there anyone here who can comment on the neighborhood that the school is in? I believe it is in Corktown, which is part of the middletown area of the city? I know that most UDM students live in the surrounding suburbs, but how dangerous is going from your car to the dental school and to eat, get coffee, etc., in the surrounding neighboorhood?

Last edited: