**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people still moving off the waitlist? I feel like the class is full at this point

Why do you feel the need to ask questions you know the answers to? Grow up, ignorant child.

The irony

Chill guys, it's not even April 1st yet

Reactions: 5 users
I was just accepted into Michigan this morning, so I'll be dropping my seat at UDM by the end of this week. Hopefully one of you get the spot!

Reactions: 4 users
Turned down UDM. It was a painful decision.......

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I called UDM today and they said that this years movement is regular, the big movement off the waitlist doesn't occur until April and May. Hope this helps

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys~ May I ask what are your plan B' if you guys dont make it in this cycle?

Hey guys~ May I ask what are your plan B' if you guys dont make it in this cycle?
Lie_down_try_not_to_cry_cry_a_lot_cleaned_525.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So...

Is April 1st just a random date, or does something actually happen in April?

If UDM said that this year is pretty typical, and movement doesn't tend to occur until April/May, does anyone know why the waitlist tends to move in April or May?

The movement doesn't occur until the end of April/beginning of May because Canadian dental schools do not accept students until that time. There would be a lot of movement on the waitlist as most Canadians would prefer to go to a Canadian University than the U.S. due to costs. So if Canadians are holding spots right now, they would most likely give it up to attend dental school in Canada.

April 1 is when schools have to report to AADSAS who has made a deposit at their school. On April 5, schools are notified by AADSAS which students have multiple deposits down at multiple schools. Those students then have 15 days to forfeit all but 1 of their spots, which is why all schools have some movement in April/May. From there on out people can only hold one seat at a time.

The movement doesn't occur until the end of April/beginning of May because Canadian dental schools do not accept students until that time. There would be a lot of movement on the waitlist as most Canadians would prefer to go to a Canadian University than the U.S. due to costs. So if Canadians are holding spots right now, they would most likely give it up to attend dental school in Canada.

Makes sense. I don't suppose anyone has any rough idea of how many Canadians might be holding seats at UDM?

So, does that mean that the only real movement on the waitlist now will be the Canadians? If you don't gain a seat by mid-May, are you totally out of luck, then?

I am thoroughly confused by the email...so do we not respond if we are still interested?....

it said to respond if you have been accepted elsewhere, hence not interested anymore.
So if you are still interested, I assume you don't have to respond and you will remain on the list.

If you feel like you should respond anyway, I guess you can, but I don't want that email to be mistakenly read as "I am out", so I am just not gonna respond.

It's nice of them to send that thing out though. Hopefully there will be some movements.

Reactions: 1 users
It says in bold in the email to respond if you're not interested in remaining on the waitlist. I'm not going to respond and risk the chance that they mark my name as getting booted off of the waitlist.

Last edited:
Yea I mean I dont think its that deep Ill just call tmrw and clarify that I want to stay on just incase

This email has so many mixed/ambiguous signals. "The purpose of this email is to inquire about your interest in remaining on our alternate list". Though some parts regarding disinterest are bolded, nowhere is the phrase "only if you are disinterested" present. In addition most schools that send a similar email or letter require a response of interest to remain on the alternate list...Bleh I simply feel uncomfortable responding without calling first.

I had to read it a few times to follow the directions too lol. I just focused on the bold print....only reply if disinterested.

I relplied and got a thank you response im sure it doesnt really matter if you did or didnt as long as you said you are interested in staying on

Just got the call from Dr.Jeffers ..:soexcited:.I'm still in shock totally thought it was an April fools joke ..good luck everyone !!

Reactions: 3 users
Any news for anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got a call from Dr. Jeffers yesterday morning saying they had a spot for me. I'm really excited for this news and I hope to get acquainted with some of the people on this forum.

Last edited:
I got a call from Dr. Jeffers yesterday morning saying they had a spot for me. I'm really excited for this news and I hope to get acquainted with some of the people on this form.
Congrats!!! looks like the waitlist is moving !!!!!
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Hoping for some good news myself. I hate to admit it but every time I hear someone got a call, my heart sinks a little deeper. Already sent a letter of intent and I'm afraid anything else will be at the risk of sounding incredibly annoying o_O But congrats to everyone hearing good news!!

Hoping for some good news myself. I hate to admit it but every time I hear someone got a call, my heart sinks a little deeper. Already sent a letter of intent and I'm afraid anything else will be at the risk of sounding incredibly annoying o_O But congrats to everyone hearing good news!!
Don't send anything else. I hope your situation gets better and keep positive. I know that feeling especially since this is my second year applying.

Don't send anything else. I hope your situation gets better and keep positive. I know that feeling especially since this is my second year applying.

Then I hope you get yourself a drink tonight and find a way to spoil yourself. This is amazing news!!! I'll stay positive :) Thanks for the advice!