**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Lol that's a bit of a dark response. Sorry about the upset.
Lmaoooo I was just messing. That's just my over exaggerative humor kicking in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I thought all but 20 got accepted last year. What happened the year??

I thought all but 20 got accepted last year. What happened the year??
They do, there Is still a lot of time. Most movement is in april may june and july. Some even get in during orientation or the first day of class. The timing may suck, but you most likely will still get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people are remaining on the waitlist? I recall hearing around 80, but that number may have changed. Given that the class is only 88 students, it makes me wonder how many will make it off the waitlist :(

I wouldn't use that as an accurate measurement there are some people in it that are from last years class, maybe even half the people in there are current D1's or on the wait list

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't use that as an accurate measurement there are some people in it that are from last years class, maybe even half the people in there are current D1's or on the wait list

if your statement is true, what is this school waiting for?

if your statement is true, what is this school waiting for?
Not everyone who got in joins the Facebook group or are active users on sdn, I am from Michigan and hear of people getting in who don't use this site. The class is currently full until someone pops off the list. In the case a spot opens, then the person who was accepted to another school declines that spot to come to UDM and a spot opens there. It's a chain reaction

Members don't see this ad :)
They do, there Is still a lot of time. Most movement is in april may june and july. Some even get in during orientation or the first day of class. The timing may suck, but you most likely will still get in.
This was true for the previous years. Not this year, where we have around double the applicants.

Does anyone know how many people are remaining on the waitlist? I recall hearing around 80, but that number may have changed. Given that the class is only 88 students, it makes me wonder how many will make it off the waitlist :(
Where did you hear it was 80 students? That number wouldn't be TOO bad honestly.

Where did you hear it was 80 students? That number wouldn't be TOO bad honestly.

I would also like to know where you heard 80 students. That is very good thing going in may and june.

doubled applicant translate to doubled interview?
double applicants overall, which means other schools will have more seats filled up which means less students will revoke their seats at UDM. That is how I look at it.

I wonder if they sent out emails asking if you're still interested in attending in the previous cycles. They sent this email twice and would it be due to the high number of students waitlisted?

I wonder if they sent out emails asking if you're still interested in attending in the previous cycles. They sent this email twice and would it be due to the high number of students waitlisted?
No.. Even if that was the case, it still wouldn't make sense to send it twice. For example, let's say this year this is twice the number of applicants wait listed. Sending two separate emails regarding their interest is redundant. If they do not reply to the first one, they would have automatically be removed.

I am confident that the real reason is the fact that the competing offer list thing or whatever was released. A lot of students that was accepted into other schools did not notify UDM regarding their current status afterwards.

Tl;Dr an event came about that could possibly change the status of whether an applicant would attend UDM, so the school proactively sent emails to have a more accurate representation of their wait list pool

She sent it twice because most people didn't respond to the email because it wasn't clear if you should respond only if you don't want to be on the wait list anymore.

Tbh, first email wasn't even confusing. It states to reply if you are not interested. It doesn't mean applicants couldn't email yo state that they are still interested. Pretty sure the admission officer can read the content of the email lol

fyi, dont get too much hope. my friend told me they sent those emails several times last year too. also she told me that everyone getting in except few ppl is something you shouldnt be counting on. it already end of april and may is coming so...

fyi, dont get too much hope. my friend told me they sent those emails several times last year too. also she told me that everyone getting in except few ppl is something you shouldnt be counting on. it already end of april and may is coming so...

She is correct to a sense, but also we are unaware of how many people have got accepted of the waitlist thus far. If 80 students still remaining on the waitlist is true there is a possibility that the majority of us will get of the waitlist in the coming months. I was told by UDM majority of there waitlist movement occurs in April and May. Don't get negative yet.

She is correct to a sense, but also we are unaware of how many people have got accepted of the waitlist thus far. If 80 students still remaining on the waitlist is true there is a possibility that the majority of us will get of the waitlist in the coming months. I was told by UDM majority of there waitlist movement occurs in April and May. Don't get negative yet.
I hope you are true. Where did you hear 80 ppl on waitlist?

Tbh, first email wasn't even confusing. It states to reply if you are not interested. It doesn't mean applicants couldn't email yo state that they are still interested. Pretty sure the admission officer can read the content of the email lol

It wasn't confusing in the sense of content but in the sense of conventionality. Most schools ask to reply if interested as that would yield the most accurate results reflecting interest.

I called the admissions office today, and asked about how realistic my chances are to get off the wait list at this point. She said she doesn't have the exact number of individuals waitlisted, and only the adcom has that information. But, it looks like it will be a slow movement, since second deposits have been paid, and individuals holding two spots have had to make their decisions at this point. So I guess the most major movement would be fellow Canadians dropping their spots :(

I called the admissions office today, and asked about how realistic my chances are to get off the wait list at this point. She said she doesn't have the exact number of individuals waitlisted, and only the adcom has that information. But, it looks like it will be a slow movement, since second deposits have been paid, and individuals holding two spots have had to make their decisions at this point. So I guess the most major movement would be fellow Canadians dropping their spots :(

IDK why there are so many Canadians in UDM. Canadians schools don't really accept US students...

How depressing. Well, I'm going to give it another few days since we were given until April 29 to respond to the email and inform them of our continued interest. I'm going to assume that must mean they still need to hold on to that alternate list or they anticipate they'll be giving out more calls in May? Wishful thinking but I'm trying to stay positive lol.

IDK why there are so many Canadians in UDM. Canadians schools don't really accept US students...
There are only 2 dental schools in Ontario (where most people live) and each school accepts less than 100 students. So if you look at their stats to even get interviews it's 3.9+ and 22+ DAT. They accept international students too but not many americans with those stats would go to Canada. However lots of canadians with 3.8+ and 20+ Dat don't even get interviews in Canada, hence many applicants in the states.

How depressing. Well, I'm going to give it another few days since we were given until April 29 to respond to the email and inform them of our continued interest. I'm going to assume that must mean they still need to hold on to that alternate list or they anticipate they'll be giving out more calls in May? Wishful thinking but I'm trying to stay positive lol.
I don't doubt that they still need a wait list, I guess I was just waiting around for that "second wave" of acceptance that everyone kept talking about. Canadians hear back from their schools in May, so I'll also try to stay positive until then! :)

I was really looking forward to the second wave of acceptances too. When I interviewed back in November, a lot of current students said the pre dec interviewers were pretty much guaranteed and if waitlisted, you have a really good chance of getting off the waitlist. Idk where all that is for this cycle.

Last edited:
Hey just wanted to let you guys know I got the acceptance call last Wednesday! I declined the offer though.
I am a canadian applicant with ~3.8 GPA/22 DAT

Whoever has put a deposit in more than one school, do you mind letting us know if the deadline passed for choosing a school?

Is is normal if I don't know my financial aid rewards yet?