**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm doing !

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone seen Dr. Jeffers during the interview day? Is he away this year?

Sent from my SHV-E250K using SDN mobile

Best of luck to everyone interviewing! The interview format was very relaxed, all the students and faculty were welcoming and friendly.

Reactions: 2 users
I got the 15th 10 am too, how was the interview like? questions/answers or friendly conversation?

Anyone just receive their interview invite in October? If yes, stats?

Tomorrow 8:00am here, I guess I will start out from home at 630 am. lol

Does anyone know if the interview is open/closed file or both? It looks like its a closed file just making sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone just receive their interview invite in October? If yes, stats?
The last October date filled up a month ago. I believe the last pre-december interview date is november 12th, and that may be full.

Tomorrow 8:00am here, I guess I will start out from home at 630 am. lol

Lol I had mine at 10am and coming from ohio, I left at 6:30 too. And for everyone else it's pretty much ur average interview, questions (ethical ones too) but a pretty nice conversation. Just be yourself and relax.

I got the 15th 10 am too, how was the interview like? questions/answers or friendly conversation?
It's both. The interview was super laid back and enjoyable. Definitely my favorite interview.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I heard all interviews for oct 15 changed from 10 am to 10:45 am, can someone confirm this?

I have the same question. The original email with the interview invite specified 10AM, but the automated confirmation email lists 10:45AM. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

I have the same question. The original email with the interview invite specified 10AM, but the automated confirmation email lists 10:45AM. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

My interview is tomorrow at 10 am, I haven't received an email stating a different time at all so I'm not sure. I plan on being there for 10 though

My interview is tomorrow at 10 am, I haven't received an email stating a different time at all so I'm not sure. I plan on being there for 10 though

Does your confirmation email list 10:00 or 10:45? I attached mine to show you which email lists the 10:45.

Attachments

• IMG_4871.PNG
    IMG_4871.PNG
    266.9 KB · Views: 67
Lol I had mine at 10am and coming from ohio, I left at 6:30 too. And for everyone else it's pretty much ur average interview, questions (ethical ones too) but a pretty nice conversation. Just be yourself and relax.
Would you mind telling whether the ethical questions were dentistry related or just random life situations?

Dec 1st at 11am ET is when acceptance calls will roll out like auto bots assembling

i am having interview this morning. Why my confirmation emails says that interview is at 8 am?

i am having interview this morning. Why my confirmation emails says that interview is at 8 am?
your interview is at 8am! there are two dates; 8am and 10:45am

I just got back from my interview a couple hours ago! I'm treating myself to some drinks and wings at bdubs. :p

I'm feeling pretty good but not great about it... It was a 2 vs 1 interview and one of my interviewers was VERY stern faced so it was hard to connect and the conversation did not deviate from dentistry at all like I was expecting with everyone talking about how informal it was. The ethics questions were a little challenging, too.

FYI to guys in the future... please make sure you wear a suit and tie! I felt so bad for the guy who showed up today wearing a poorly fitted blue sweater and khaki's to the interview like it was church or something. What was he thinking?!?!

I just got back from my interview a couple hours ago! I'm treating myself to some drinks and wings at bdubs. :p

I'm feeling pretty good but not great about it... It was a 2 vs 1 interview and one of my interviewers was VERY stern faced so it was hard to connect and the conversation did not deviate from dentistry at all like I was expecting with everyone talking about how informal it was. The ethics questions were a little challenging, too.

FYI to guys in the future... please make sure you wear a suit and tie! I felt so bad for the guy who showed up today wearing a poorly fitted blue sweater and khaki's to the interview like it was church or something. What was he thinking?!?!

I agree :) and ladies should be wearing suits as well (pant or skirt, no more than one inch above knee). Do not wear dresses that are mid thigh length

I thought my interview was pretty informal. Like 70 percent casual talk (talked a bit about comicsXD) and 30 was the ethics questions and dental stuff. I really enjoyed it and feel good about it! I feel everyone was pretty happy with how things went:) It all just depends on your interviewers though how casual it is. They go a lot at least for me from the essays.

Also the guy in the sweater and khakis was just accompanying his girlfriend who was interviewing lol. He wasn't there to be interviewed himself. Well if it's the same guy I am thinking of.

Reactions: 1 users
It was so great spending the day yesterday with the 10am people! You guys were great and I wish everyone the best of luck this cycle!

My interview was very laid back, it was not an interrogation and there were no crazy ethical scenarios for me. It sounds lame but really do just be yourself during the interview! The faculty and staff were very friendly and the students were super nice and very enthusiastic about the school. I was very impressed by the school and would love to go there

Omg i felt the same way after my interview. One of the interviewers was super stern faced and the other one was not very engaging. Everyone was talking about how their interview was so laid back and how they talked about so many informal things, but I had such a difficult time breaking through to either one of them. My interview was mostly dentistry related talk, a little bit of talk about my hobbies and how I thought I would be able to cope with being away from home, and a lot of silence as they flipped through my file ... I'm not someone who gets super nervous during interviews, but their lack of conversation with me really threw me off and I got so nervous because of it that I ended up blanking on a relatively easy question. It was like they just weren't even TRYING to engage in any kind of conversation with me :( I don't know if I'm the only one that experienced this, since everyone who interviews at UDM seems to have only positive things to say about the interview process. I absolutely loved the school and atmosphere, but I'm worried that my interview just completely blew my chances :(

My interview
Omg i felt the same way after my interview. One of the interviewers was super stern faced and the other one was not very engaging. Everyone was talking about how their interview was so laid back and how they talked about so many informal things, but I had such a difficult time breaking through to either one of them. My interview was mostly dentistry related talk, a little bit of talk about my hobbies and how I thought I would be able to cope with being away from home, and a lot of silence as they flipped through my file ... I'm not someone who gets super nervous during interviews, but their lack of conversation with me really threw me off and I got so nervous because of it that I ended up blanking on a relatively easy question. It was like they just weren't even TRYING to engage in any kind of conversation with me :( I don't know if I'm the only one that experienced this, since everyone who interviews at UDM seems to have only positive things to say about the interview process. I absolutely loved the school and atmosphere, but I'm worried that my interview just completely blew my chances :(
I felt the same way. My interview was not very conversational at all LOL. The only response I got after answered the ethical question was " uhm, thats good" LOL.
BTW, Did anyone see the interviewers wrote something down next to each question they asked? I saw one of my interviewer wrote excellent next to one of my answer, idk if I was seeing things or not lol.

I had pretty much the exact same experience as you. It felt like a straight grilling, question after question without any real feedback on how I was doing. They didn't really keep the conversation going. The only time they really talked was when I was asking them a few questions. The ethical questions also caught me off guard (they were really vague). I guess we all got the same interviewers. My tour guide also said she didnt really have a good interview experience (but obviously got accepted). I really did like the school though.

Last edited:
I had pretty much the exact same experience as you. It felt like a straight grilling, question after question without any real feedback on how I was doing. They didn't really keep the conversation going. The only time they really talked was when I was asking them a few questions. The ethical questions also caught me off guard (they were really vague). I guess we all got the same interviewers. My tour guide also said she didnt really have a good interview experience (but obviously got accepted). I really did like the school though.
This is what Dr. Jeffers says: "40% is your stats + 60% (EC, PS, REC, interview, etc..)" = accepted

Reactions: 2 users
This is what Dr. Jeffers says: "40% is your stats + 60% (EC, PS, REC, interview, etc..)" = accepted
Well I guess that's a little relieving! Never got the chance to meet/see Dr. Jeffers during my interview day.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

My interview

I felt the same way. My interview was not very conversational at all LOL. The only response I got after answered the ethical question was " uhm, thats good" LOL.
BTW, Did anyone see the interviewers wrote something down next to each question they asked? I saw one of my interviewer wrote excellent next to one of my answer, idk if I was seeing things or not lol.

So, the stern faced guy was doing most of the talking in my interview while the super nice guy, who I did connect with when he rarely spoke :/, was doing LOT of writing on my application and was looking down while he wrote most of the time.

So, the stern faced guy was doing most of the talking in my interview while the super nice guy, who I did connect with when he rarely spoke :/, was doing LOT of writing on my application and was looking down while he wrote most of the time.

YEAH! haha I have a feeling we had the same interviewers. It's a little relieving that I'm not the only one that felt that way. I thought maybe they just didn't like me, but I think that's just the way they are with everyone.

Yeah I tried to ask them questions hoping they would atleast spark up some kind of conversation but it was all very serious and not at all an enjoyable experience. Goodluck to you though! I hope the interview doesn't ruin our chances of getting accepted :)

Reactions: 1 users

Can anyone tell me what is EC, REC? Thanks… I know it's a silly question.

Can anyone tell me what is EC, REC? Thanks… I know it's a silly question.

that means extracurriculars and recommendations as in letters of recommendations.

I feel like it depends on who interviews you. My interviewers were very stern faced, and I wouldn't describe the interview as conversational. I honestly felt uncomfortable. With that said, I tried to be as genuine as possible and answered the questions honestly. I emailed both interviewers and the interviewers thank you notes and they both replied with positive responses.

Does anyone know if UDM looks favorably upon letters of intent- writing a letter saying This is your number one choice and if accepted, this is where you'll go- no doubt in your mind

Does anyone know if UDM looks favorably upon letters of intent- writing a letter saying This is your number one choice and if accepted, this is where you'll go- no doubt in your mind
Do some schools actually favor those kind of letters?

I was thinking that if you really did want to go there you would accept the acceptance offer.

Unless it is a letter in favor of you trying to receive an interview. If only it was that easy to get into the schools that we most want with a letter as such.

Do some schools actually favor those kind of letters?

I was thinking that if you really did want to go there you would accept the acceptance offer.

Unless it is a letter in favor of you trying to receive an interview. If only it was that easy to get into the schools that we most want with a letter as such.
Haha yah so apparently some deans of admissions at other schools have told interviewees that they should send letters of intent if they are serious about coming to that particular school.

So i think you might've misunderstood what I many by a letter of intent. Some people send a letter of intent after having interviewed with a school. Others send it only if they've been put on the wait list

Did anyone's interviewer not respond to a thank you email? I interviewed on the 8th and sent an email on the 10th (both October) and haven't gotten a response back.

Did anyone's interviewer not respond to a thank you email? I interviewed on the 8th and sent an email on the 10th (both October) and haven't gotten a response back.

I emailed both my interviewers the following Monday morning and I didn't get a reply. I don't think it's anything to worry about though:) they're very busy people

Status
Not open for further replies.