***The Official University of Utah class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

BYU4you

Loma Linda University - OMFS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well since there isn't one in sight I thought we could get one started. Last year interview invites came out early October so looks like we have a big waiting game ahead of us! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted app on 8/9 and am taking DAT on the 28th. Is this too late for UofU?

Submitted app on 8/9 and am taking DAT on the 28th. Is this too late for UofU?

Nope they don't even send out invites until beginning of October.

Members don't see this ad :)
October, that's crazy long.

I figure it is a super small class size and nearly everyone applying lives within an hour of the school they can interview whenever. (They probably want to make sure anyone who is applying this cycle for the most part will have applied by this point)

Just submitted my app to the U today...I know I'm crazy late. I wasn't initially planning on applying to the U (don't have two science letters of rec) but I decided, eh...why not just give it a go? I know it's not likely but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm out of state here but I'm really hoping for an interview. This school is my number one choice! Good luck to you guys.

Got an interview invite today! Great school, beautiful new facilities, and man it would be nice to get resident tuition!

Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting, bummer

For anyone else in my boat there are supposed to be multiple waves of interviews, I'm guessing you all got same day for invite?

They gave an option of five dates

Members don't see this ad :)
What dates did they have available for you guys? Or was it just a single date?

These are the dates and times that I was offered:

Friday, October 9, 2015
Monday, October 12, 2015
Friday, October 16, 2015
Monday, October 19, 2015
Friday, October 23, 2015
Monday, October 26, 2015

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, congrats to those who have received invites. For those who haven't yet, don't worry they will send out more. It's way early in the game and yes they are sending out invites in waves.

Hey guys, congrats to those who have received invites. For those who haven't yet, don't worry they will send out more. It's way early in the game and yes they are sending out invites in waves.
Do you know how far apart those waves are? Is it like every Monday or something?

I talked to Dr. Lowder a few days ago and he said they will send out invites for four weeks. He made it sound like all four weeks would be consecutive but he didn't tell me if they would all be sent out on the same day each week or not.

Interview Invite!!!! OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Two weeks down, still waiting haha.

Interview!

These are the dates and times that I was offered:

Friday, October 9, 2015
Monday, October 12, 2015
Friday, October 16, 2015
Monday, October 19, 2015
Friday, October 23, 2015
Monday, October 26, 2015
I got the same dates. which day did you sign up for?

Does anyone who has had an interview want to comment on the interview day and how it was structured?

Does anyone who has had an interview want to comment on the interview day and how it was structured?
I really enjoyed interviews here. The facility is amazing and the faculty and students were all very kind and welcoming. I started with a tour of the building led by two 3rd year students at 11:00 AM followed by lunch at noon. Lunch was with a few current dental students who were all very gracious about answering our questions. After lunch, I had my interviews. I met with three separate members of the admissions committee, all of whom were very friendly and easy to talk to. Each of my interviews were laid back and more of a friendly conversation than an interview. I think that you will really enjoy your experience. Good luck!! Are you OOS?

I really enjoyed interviews here. The facility is amazing and the faculty and students were all very kind and welcoming. I started with a tour of the building led by two 3rd year students at 11:00 AM followed by lunch at noon. Lunch was with a few current dental students who were all very gracious about answering our questions. After lunch, I had my interviews. I met with three separate members of the admissions committee, all of whom were very friendly and easy to talk to. Each of my interviews were laid back and more of a friendly conversation than an interview. I think that you will really enjoy your experience. Good luck!! Are you OOS?
Nope. In state. :)

I'm not sure how similar this year is to last year but there were only 6 people interviewed from OOS last year.

Yes but they consider every Utah/BYU student in state even if you legally aren't, as long as you've gone to the school a couple of years. They pool us all as in state and then you can "choose" your residency for tuition purposes later.

Interview was great and getting to talk with the student and tour the school was awesome. It was a very relaxed environment. I had three one on ones and a tour with a senior faculty member. If you get an interview try to schedule your time early in the morning or else you have 2 hours to kill before the tour at 2.

I'm not sure how similar this year is to last year but there were only 6 people interviewed from OOS last year.
There are 8 out of state students in our class and I know a lot more than that were interviewed, probably at least 30? The U is a lot more friendly to out of states than people believe. In fact, that is the only way they can grow their class size right now due to the legislatures demands. I wouldn't be surprised if 12-15 out of states were accepted for the class of 2020. Don't give up hope as an oos, especially from surrounding states without a dental school!

Interview was great and getting to talk with the student and tour the school was awesome. It was a very relaxed environment. I had three one on ones and a tour with a senior faculty member. If you get an interview try to schedule your time early in the morning or else you have 2 hours to kill before the tour at 2.
Were all the interviews open file?

Interview!

November 13th only option I had.

Random question: Does anyone know if the U issues laptops or tablets to its students? If by chance I was lucky enough to be accepted I would want to know. I need to get one soon and was just curious...

Random question: Does anyone know if the U issues laptops or tablets to its students? If by chance I was lucky enough to be accepted I would want to know. I need to get one soon and was just curious...
They do not give you a laptop, nor is it a part of tuition and fees. They do, however, give you an iPad to use during your first year. I would hold out till school starts and you know where you'll be going for sure cause some schools do require a certain laptop.

Good luck tomorrow @BYU4you

Thanks!
Hope to see you there maybe? I interview at 3. Won't be going to the tour or lunch, can't afford to miss any more class unfortunately.

Well as good as time as ever for people to know they now accept 20 in state and 20 out of state.

Very good news, a lot more people have a chance at this awesome school!

Real.y I thought that was next year. When I interview there they said that the 2020 class would be 34 student total.

They are accepting 40 total now.

For those who received interviews, would you mind sharing how many hours/years of research experience you have?? Thanks!

For those who received interviews, would you mind sharing how many hours/years of research experience you have?? Thanks!

I have a lot of research, 2+ years working part time and full time during summers.

However it did not come up in interviews at all. (I also know a lot of people there without research, in fact no one I know there did any research really)

I have a lot of research, 2+ years working part time and full time during summers.

However it did not come up in interviews at all. (I also know a lot of people there without research, in fact no one I know there did any research really)

That is surprising! Almost all the current students I talked to had a few years of research and the 4 or 5 people I know that have interviews there had 5+ years of research. That is good to know that a lot of people that got interviews don't have research experience though. My DAT score is a little low so I wasn't really planning on getting an interview anyway!

That is surprising! Almost all the current students I talked to had a few years of research and the 4 or 5 people I know that have interviews there had 5+ years of research. That is good to know that a lot of people that got interviews don't have research experience though. My DAT score is a little low so I wasn't really planning on getting an interview anyway!

How does one have 5+ years research?? Are they all masters students? That's insane!

How does one have 5+ years research?? Are they all masters students? That's insane!
Yeah I know! Most of them either had masters or they just did paid research for a year before dental school.

I would say only a small percentage of students have any research experience. I don't know anyone with 5+ years though. My opinion is that research is a plus, but not a requirement for acceptance...

Does anyone know if the University of Utah sends out acceptance notifications on December 1st? I heard from someone that last year they didn't go out until February. Is this true?

Yes they do send out acceptances on Dec. 1. This year there will be 40. If any of those don't take the spot, then acceptances could be extended after Dec. 1...

Accepted!
Check the mobile portal to see if it switched to offer made, I didn't receive a call/email yet and regular aadsas says check back Dec 1st.