***The Official UNLV Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I'm interviewing October 19th!

Can anyone tell me what the interview process was like and how the actual interviews went?

Any suggestions on what specifically about the school I should highlight if asked? Super excited and nervous!

All feedback is much appreciated :laugh:

The interviews are SUPER RELAXED!! Do not stress out! You start the day off by learning about what the school and program have to offer. You get to eat lunch with current dental students. Then a dental student gives a group of applicants a tour around the campus. After that, you have a 30 minute interview with a faculty member. Mine was very relaxed and conversational. Just be able to explain what YOU want out of a dental school and why you want to be a dentist. After the faculty interview, you have a 30 minute interview with a dental student. Mine was a 3rd year. It was even more relaxed and conversational than the faculty interview. Just be yourself. The worst thing would be for a school to accept you based on a fake personality you use during your interview.

Do not fret about interviewing at this school! It's low pressure. They won't put you on the spot or try to test you with challenging questions. They just want to see if you fit in.

Members don't see this ad.

The interviews are SUPER RELAXED!! Do not stress out! You start the day off by learning about what the school and program have to offer. You get to eat lunch with current dental students. Then a dental student gives a group of applicants a tour around the campus. After that, you have a 30 minute interview with a faculty member. Mine was very relaxed and conversational. Just be able to explain what YOU want out of a dental school and why you want to be a dentist. After the faculty interview, you have a 30 minute interview with a dental student. Mine was a 3rd year. It was even more relaxed and conversational than the faculty interview. Just be yourself. The worst thing would be for a school to accept you based on a fake personality you use during your interview.

Do not fret about interviewing at this school! It's low pressure. They won't put you on the spot or try to test you with challenging questions. They just want to see if you fit in.

This is all very good to know thank you! I'm really excited for my interview there!

Members don't see this ad :)
im a 6th batcher , just got an invite today from this school adding to my stack of interviews
stats are below
email @ 1:23 pst schedule for nov 9th ;x
if those who are waiting and on the later batch, just w8 ;)

Last edited:
I'm flying in a day early for my Oct 5th interview.

I'm a total foodie and would like a crime in partner to explore all the good eats in LV

I'm a total foodie and would like a crime in partner to explore all the good eats in LV

See you on the fifth, won't be able to hang out since I will be spending my night at my aunts house and have to visit her and what not :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Just got my 4th interview invite! Got an email today, I called and was offered November 16 and 30, I had to pick 30th...I'm wondering if I should just move it to after December because I got interviews at UoP, BU, and Western and I know UoP has a high acceptance rate for pre-Dec interviews...then again I can also spend the weekend on Vegas hehe.

Interviewing November 16th. Message me if you will be there too!

i liked the school. one thing i noticed was the demographics are different from other schools. a ton of students are married and the average age is older. however, with two schools opening in utah, the statistics might change a little starting this year.

Same here! I'm flying in tomorrow night so I'd have an extra day to prepare. Where are you staying at? I'm staying at Stratosphere lol

Hey, I'm coming for the Nov. 2nd interview. I'm open to anyone wanting to grab a bite or drinks after the interview on friday. PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! I'm flying in tomorrow night so I'd have an extra day to prepare. Where are you staying at? I'm staying at Stratosphere lol

Im staying at LVH. Its near the convention center

anyone going on november 30th??? :D

Im in LV right now for the Oct 5th interview. If anyones interested in grabbing a bite or just wandering around like a tourist hit me up

Im in LV right now for the Oct 5th interview. If anyones interested in grabbing a bite or just wandering around like a tourist hit me up

Me too! my stupid flight got delayed overnight. Good thing I decided to fly in a day early or else, I would've missed my interview. Where do you stay at?

woohoo! just got an invite! lol ..post dec tho..dec 14 - anyone else?!

I jus got one too, i havent called yet. Are there only post dec dates left?

Does anyone know how good chances of acceptance are for pre-dec interview OOS applicants? I found doctoothache's one spreadsheet on pre-dec interview acceptances, but it was only based off of like 20 people who were interviewed. Any info is appreciated!

Does anyone know how good chances of acceptance are for pre-dec interview OOS applicants? I found doctoothache's one spreadsheet on pre-dec interview acceptances, but it was only based off of like 20 people who were interviewed. Any info is appreciated!
At the interview presentation they said they accept ~180 people (~375 interviewed) total to fill their class and I think that 17 or 18 came off the wait list last year (50% of the wait list)...I do not remember them splitting it up by pre-December v. post-December. (these number are not exact as I don't have the paper in front of me, but I hope this helps).

awesome! thank you! that's pretty much what I was looking for. I had heard that they say numbers during the presentation, but I'm too anxious to wait until november 16th to hear them haha so thank you!

got an interview for Dec. 7th. Anyone going on the same day? Btw anyone knows a relatively inexpensive hotel? I see that some ppl are staying at LVH and Stratosphere. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

got an interview for Dec. 7th. Anyone going on the same day? Btw anyone knows a relatively inexpensive hotel? I see that some ppl are staying at LVH and Stratosphere. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

i initially booked the strat since it was so cheap but its also really far from the rest of the strip...2 of my friends are gunna come with me to make a little trip out of it after the interview so we decided to just stay at ballys which is also cheap but in a great location...id suggest strat if you just want a cheap passable hotel...prices are always cheaper when you search at night (use orbitz.com and use promo code RMNSAVE10 for 10% off)

oh yeah and if youre gunna do strat, make an orbitz account..when i login, i was getting an avg nightly rate of $22 (compared to $44 when not logged in) for 12/13-17

Last edited:
I got a place at Palace Station for 23 bucks for the night. Pretty cheap!

Anyone else interviewing this Friday (Oct. 19th)??

PM me if you are interested in grabbing dinner the night before. I'll be driving in around 6 pm or so.

And good luck!:luck:

Got an interview for Dec 7th as well!

Received interview invite today. Unfortunately, no pre December dates left. I interview Feb. 8th. But none the less I'm grateful that I got one.

Anyone else interviewing there on Nov 30th with me??

Is UNLV anyone's top choice? It's the only interview I've had so far so I don't have any other schools to compare it to, but I really loved it there! Praying for an acceptance in a few days! :xf:

Just received an email for a post-dec interview. Scheduled for Feb 15th! I'm from MA

Is UNLV anyone's top choice? It's the only interview I've had so far so I don't have any other schools to compare it to, but I really loved it there! Praying for an acceptance in a few days! :xf:

I really liked UNLV! The staff seemed really invested in the program, but there were a couple things that i found weird. 1. no anatomy lab, which i am really looking forward to in dental school because i am a very visual learner. and 2. the students didn't really seem like they had a lot of good things to say about the school. some students were even talking crap about the school when we were walking around for the tour, and when i asked others why they attended unlv instead of other schools they were accepted to, i didn't get one answer relating to the program, or the staff, or the facilities, etc. every single person said that it was because they didn't want to move far from their family, or they liked the location because it was close to home.... that was really weird and leaves me hesitant about the school..

What date did you interview??

Anyone going to call them after 8am tomorrow to check their status? lol

I really liked UNLV! The staff seemed really invested in the program, but there were a couple things that i found weird. 1. no anatomy lab, which i am really looking forward to in dental school because i am a very visual learner. and 2. the students didn't really seem like they had a lot of good things to say about the school. some students were even talking crap about the school when we were walking around for the tour, and when i asked others why they attended unlv instead of other schools they were accepted to, i didn't get one answer relating to the program, or the staff, or the facilities, etc. every single person said that it was because they didn't want to move far from their family, or they liked the location because it was close to home.... that was really weird and leaves me hesitant about the school..

yeah I also heard some of the same things from the students which was a little strange...
I interviewed on Nov 16.

Anyone going to call them after 8am tomorrow to check their status? lol

I'm from the east coast so I guess I have to wait till 11am to call? ughhh haha I just want to know right now!

I also heard things like that from the students. A little insight from a native Las Vegan: *Disclaimer* I don't know the students who had negative things to say about the school, and I don't know about their experiences. For all I know they may have had negative experiences. But I brought this up to my student interviewer, as well as some high school friends I hung out with the night of my interview. And they had a few things to say about that, which I very much agree with. Now, I don't know a lot about the post-grad schools, because I left the state for undergrad. But a lot of people who are at UNLV are there because they have to: either they can't afford to go anywhere else or because that's the only school they could get into. (Again, this is undergrad, not sure what the post-grad environment is like). A LOT of the people we grew up with who were adamant about getting out of Vegas and leaving the state are the same people who ended up at UNLV. Therefore, a lot of people already enter the school a little bitter and frustrated. And they find every excuse possible to hate the school, complain about it, and use it as an excuse for another reason they want to leave Vegas.I asked my student interviewer about some of the negative things I had heard during the day. He gave me the same answer: You know a lot of people hold grudges and are looking for an excuse to not enjoy the school. A lot of those people had an experience with a bad professor, or a bad experience with another student and they hold a grudge. But the vibe I got from him was that yes, things don't always go your way when you're surrounded with 80 other people. And yes, you will be upset/disappointed at one time during your four years there. But if you can move on from that and accept that, you can very easily have a good experience at SDM.

Again, not claiming that those who had negative things to say about the school are just making things up...just spinning a different light on it.

Anyone try calling yet? I called but no one picked up. I'm going to try again a little later :)

I called them and got through no problem.

shiz just got real....